Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves Sign Movie Star Hernangomez to $21 Million Deal

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Philo Beddoe

Re: Wolves Sign Movie Star to $21 Million Deal

Post by Philo Beddoe »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:20 pm 2nd guy they've paid a big contract to for their short time with the Wolves. Beasley got paid fat for 14 games with the Wolves. Juancho also just with 14 games. If both players play like they did in those 14 games, great, no issue with the contract. I just feel they signed them at their maximum value, and doesn't seem like they used their past performances (or lack thereof) in negotiations.
It was probably the first time in awhile either got significant minutes on the court to actually show what they could do.

Juancho was averaging 12 minutes a game in Denver
Malik was averaging 18 minutes a game in Denver

29 Minutes per game Juancho was averaging 13 ppg and 7 rebounds per game, while shooting 42% from three. Thats a pretty good 14 game stretch for a guy that nobody thought was going to do much at all.

My one hang up with Juancho I will say is his defense was not good. I don't know the circumstances, I just remember making comments in game threads while watching the game how bad his defense was.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:27 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:20 pm 2nd guy they've paid a big contract to for their short time with the Wolves. Beasley got paid fat for 14 games with the Wolves. Juancho also just with 14 games. If both players play like they did in those 14 games, great, no issue with the contract. I just feel they signed them at their maximum value, and doesn't seem like they used their past performances (or lack thereof) in negotiations.
It was probably the first time in awhile either got significant minutes on the court to actually show what they could do.

Juancho was averaging 12 minutes a game in Denver
Malik was averaging 18 minutes a game in Denver

29 Minutes per game Juancho was averaging 13 ppg and 7 rebounds per game, while shooting 42% from three. Thats a pretty good 14 game stretch for a guy that nobody thought was going to do much at all.

My one hang up with Juancho I will say is his defense was not good. I don't know the circumstances, I just remember making comments in game threads while watching the game how bad his defense was.
He’s not particularly big or long and he isn’t particularly quick. Hard to be a good defender without something to work with.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Clearly Rosas hand-picked his two free agents last year.
Ketchup can be nuancy
SKOLMN

Re: Wolves Sign Movie Star Hernangomez to $21 Million Deal

Post by SKOLMN »

I like hernangomez, I just don’t like this deal because it means he’s going to be the starter, which isn’t ideal
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

SKOLMN wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:10 am I like hernangomez, I just don’t like this deal because it means he’s going to be the starter, which isn’t ideal
Yeah... its give and take... I like him because he can shoot the 3... but I am stuck in the past and like to see a PF that can rebound.

The good thing is Beasley is actually a good rebounder for his position.... I have to assume Edwards is the same. Rubio has been know to grab 5-6 rebounds in a game... so our guards are good rebounders.

But by signing Davis and maybe giving Vanderbilt some run, we have guys that we can change out if we need to. To me, that was the key with bringing back Juancho.

Unfortunately, there are not many PF's in the league that can shoot the 3, rebound, and play defense. So we have to settle for one player that does each well.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

there are some things i like about juancho on court - and he's supposed to be a great guy team-wise (ditto for davis). that stuff helps. but from a pure talent/overall game perspective, i think JH might rank 30th out of 30 starting nba PFs. maybe his hot hand from three will continue and be an important weapon for us. but that 42% he shot with us came in 14 games - and he has another 191 nba games under his belt hitting 35% from three. 35% isn't horrible, but it's certainly not the spacer that 42% is. we'll see.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

sh1mmyya wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:25 pm I was really hoping the thread title meant that we signed Shaq, or Ray Allen.
I was thinking Michael J Fox, Teen Wolf. That would be so awesome

Last edited by minnemike on Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

If it has not already been mentioned, Juancho and Rubio played together when they won the FIBA World Championship.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:37 pm Wolves have 4 million left to spend before the tax but are at 15 roster spots.

Jmac is still RFA. Nowell contract is non guaranteed. No one wants to take Evans or Spellman.
:thinking:
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Dario Saric signed for 3 years $27 million. So $2mil more for as of right now a marginally better player, but not enough to dip into MLE or lux. Homer take, Dario is probably capped out at who he is, Launcho has a little more room to improve, but not a lot. Saric is a year and a half older, but slightly bigger.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:50 am Dario Saric signed for 3 years $27 million. So $2mil more for as of right now a marginally better player, but not enough to dip into MLE or lux. Homer take, Dario is probably capped out at who he is, Launcho has a little more room to improve, but not a lot. Saric is a year and a half older, but slightly bigger.
I just posed the question in the other thread on who is better... either way, Saric/Herro should be Wolves right now instead of Culver. :lol:
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

j2j wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:50 am Dario Saric signed for 3 years $27 million. So $2mil more for as of right now a marginally better player, but not enough to dip into MLE or lux. Homer take, Dario is probably capped out at who he is, Launcho has a little more room to improve, but not a lot. Saric is a year and a half older, but slightly bigger.
Dario is better rebounder for sure, but I dont think his defense and shooting is much better than Juancho.

Juancho runs the floor better than Dario.

If you said, you can have Juancho or Dario for $7 million per year. I would take Dario.

If you said you can have Juancho for $7 million or Dario for $9 million. I would take Juancho.
j2j

Post by j2j »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:53 am
I just posed the question in the other thread on who is better... either way, Saric/Herro should be Wolves right now instead of Culver. :lol:
Why are you the way you are? :lol:

j2j

Post by j2j »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:54 am
Dario is better rebounder for sure, but I dont think his defense and shooting is much better than Juancho.

If you said, you can have Juancho or Dario for $7 million per year. I would take Dario.

If you said you can have Juancho for $7 million or Dario for $9 million. I would take Juancho.
Agreed, tho Dario's rebounding had been only very slightly better than Juancho's. Splitting hairs.

It's one of those "I'll take whichever one you don't want and be fine." The difference is so minimal. Though for some reason I have this vibe that Launcho's attitude is better than Dario's?

DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

qrocks wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:38 pm And this is how perma-lottery teams are constructed...

Jfc!
Just continuing in the proud tradition of the Cole Aldrich signing.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

j2j wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:58 am
Philo Beddoe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:54 am

Agreed, tho Dario's rebounding had been only very slightly better than Juancho's. Splitting hairs.

It's one of those "I'll take whichever one you don't want and be fine." The difference is so minimal. Though for some reason I have this vibe that Launcho's attitude is better than Dario's?
Rather have Juancho. Better shooter, better floor runner, cheaper and shorter deal. He fits us better in several ways.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

minnemike wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:04 am
sh1mmyya wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:25 pm I was really hoping the thread title meant that we signed Shaq, or Ray Allen.

is the fat blond guy the dude that stole peewees bike?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Solid option, but it clearly should be

Let's get Tropical
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Or maybe....

Let's get Tropical
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:01 am

Yes!
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

I love that movie but looking back on it under the lens of what we know now, that other team had terrible clock mgmt.
They were up by so much early on yet continued to force the pace. Had they just slowed things down and worked to burn down the clock, there's no way the other team could have come back and won.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

question: saric signs with the suns for 2mil more per year than juancho. juancho likely starts for us. is saric their starting 4? they just drafted jalen smith, signed jae crowder, and still have frank kaminsky, cheick diallo and tariq owens on roster. where is saric in that pecking order? honest question - i don't know.
j2j

Post by j2j »

I don't know, seems like that would be a shaky signing to me.

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

minnemike wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:05 am
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:01 am

Yes!
alltime classic.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

j2j wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:07 am

I don't know, seems like that would be a shaky signing to me.
Yeah - never know when he puts his game face on.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:06 am

I love that movie but looking back on it under the lens of what we know now, that other team had terrible clock mgmt.
They were up by so much early on yet continued to force the pace. Had they just slowed things down and worked to burn down the clock, there's no way the other team could have come back and won.
:clap:

#ProAnalysis
j2j

Post by j2j »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:07 am question: saric signs with the suns for 2mil more per year than juancho. juancho likely starts for us. is saric their starting 4? they just drafted jalen smith, signed jae crowder, and still have frank kaminsky, cheick diallo and tariq owens on roster. where is saric in that pecking order? honest question - i don't know.
Ideally neither of them start. But Saric might be their best option at the 4 to help space the floor for Ayton, Booker, and Paul. Or maybe even Cam Johnson starts.

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:06 am

Letting the bad guy stand under the bucket during the free throws always bugged me.
Let's get Tropical
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:07 am
UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:37 pm Wolves have 4 million left to spend before the tax but are at 15 roster spots.

Jmac is still RFA. Nowell contract is non guaranteed. No one wants to take Evans or Spellman.
I said we should package those two guys for Jordan Bell but instead they got packaged for Ed Davis
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:56 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:07 am

I said we should package those two guys for Jordan Bell but instead they got packaged for Ed Davis
Jordan Bell is gonna be available soon.
Traded to the Lakers as part of Javale McGee trade, and Lakers are expected to waive Bell.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis