Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Darko Update! He Doesn't Want To Be Made Fun Of Anymore

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
flexbuffchest

Darko Update! He Doesn't Want To Be Made Fun Of Anymore

Post by flexbuffchest »

I was slow on this one as it is from March.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/new ... x2365jfu2o
Darko Milicic says it's 'not necessary' for fellow NBA pros to make fun of him

The 2003 NBA Draft is often heralded as one of, if the not the greatest draft class in league history.

There were superstars at the top of the draft such as LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. Other players who made All-Star appearances included David West, Kyle Korver, Mo Williams, Josh Howard and Chris Kaman. Even guys like James Jones, Nick Collison, Kendrick Perkins, Kirk Hinrich, Boris Diaw, Leandro Barbosa, Steve Blake and Zaza Pachulia had lengthy careers as role players on successful teams.

But as much as the 2003 class is known for its production in the NBA, it's also known for having one of the biggest busts in draft history: Darko Milicic.

At first glance, Milicic's career is pretty mediocre. The seven-foot center from Serbia played 10 years in the NBA with career averages of 6.0 points and 4.2 rebounds per game. But the fact that he was taken No. 2 overall by the Pistons — who won the 2004 title with Milicic playing a mere 4.7 minutes per game — directly ahead of three consecutive picks that went on to make multiple All-NBA Teams is what makes his career such a huge disappointment.

Milicic's career was so meager that Anthony, the No. 3 overall pick in the 2003 Draft, responded "Who?" when Wade brought him up in a chat on Instagram Live last week.

The 2003 NBA Draft is often heralded as one of, if the not the greatest draft class in league history.

There were superstars at the top of the draft such as LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. Other players who made All-Star appearances included David West, Kyle Korver, Mo Williams, Josh Howard and Chris Kaman. Even guys like James Jones, Nick Collison, Kendrick Perkins, Kirk Hinrich, Boris Diaw, Leandro Barbosa, Steve Blake and Zaza Pachulia had lengthy careers as role players on successful teams.

Rightsholder Icon
Three teams that could be on upset alert in Week 11
But as much as the 2003 class is known for its production in the NBA, it's also known for having one of the biggest busts in draft history: Darko Milicic.

At first glance, Milicic's career is pretty mediocre. The seven-foot center from Serbia played 10 years in the NBA with career averages of 6.0 points and 4.2 rebounds per game. But the fact that he was taken No. 2 overall by the Pistons — who won the 2004 title with Milicic playing a mere 4.7 minutes per game — directly ahead of three consecutive picks that went on to make multiple All-NBA Teams is what makes his career such a huge disappointment.

Milicic's career was so meager that Anthony, the No. 3 overall pick in the 2003 Draft, responded "Who?" when Wade brought him up in a chat on Instagram Live last week.
Carmelo Anthony "forgot" who was drafted before him in 2003 while talking with Dwyane Wade.
2003 NBA Draft (The 1st 5 picks):
1. LeBron James
2. Darko Miličić
3. Carmelo Anthony
4. Chris Bosh
5. Dwayne Wade pic.twitter.com/PDAzDj7ujT

— Lee Harvey (@MusikFan4Life) March 28, 2020
Milicic addressed Wade and Anthony's comments in an interview with B92, a Serbian newstation.

"As for these stories, so if my story is not told, thank God (Wade and Anthony) have succeeded — I have not," Milicic's statement said, translated from Serbian. "We are not kids, we are adults, I hope you are old enough to understand that life is full of ups and downs. ... It is not necessary to judge and ridicule when, thank God, you have not passed the path that I have. To them, as always, I wish everyone good and every honor on their careers and in further life a lot of success and less condemnation."
Poor Darko, he just couldn't cut it in the NBA like he did in kick boxing.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Philo Beddoe

Re: Darko Update! He Doesn't Want To Be Made Fun Of Anymore

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Darko made $53 Million in career earnings.

You can call me a bust, you can call me an asshole.. you can call me Ray... whatever you want for $53 million.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

If he didn’t want to be made fun of, he shouldn’t have sucked so badly.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Darko was gifted.... but never really loved the game. It's pretty clear... I still look back and enjoyed some moments of his because you always had zero expectations with him. He had some games where he'd block 4-5-6 shots... engaged.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

HeHateMe wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:22 am Darko was gifted.... but never really loved the game. It's pretty clear... I still look back and enjoyed some moments of his because you always had zero expectations with him. He had some games where he'd block 4-5-6 shots... engaged.

I'm not too sure that including a pretty weak wide open put back dunk among a players top 10 plays says anything positive about Darko's career

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sign him up.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

There was some documentary I saw on him that basically says Detroit was tricked into taking him. A lot of smokescreens about him going into the draft and people claiming they were really high on him, when they werent at all.

That 2003 draft also reminds me how fates of players in the NBA are so easily changed. Carmelo should have been the easy #2 pick (even with Rip and Prince on that team), and then he would have had a ring as well...and maybe a few more. Instead he's known as a guy who couldn't carry his team to a championship.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:54 am Darko made $53 Million in career earnings.

You can call me a bust, you can call me an asshole.. you can call me Ray... whatever you want for $53 million.
Someone said, and I repeated it over and over again, that Darko Milicic's best NBA asset was his agent.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:19 pm
Philo Beddoe wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:54 am Darko made $53 Million in career earnings.

Someone said, and I repeated it over and over again, that Darko Milicic's best NBA asset was his agent.
David Kahn?

LordNu

Post by LordNu »

He's got one more ring than Melo though. Amirite?
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

LordNu wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:02 pm He's got one more ring than Melo though. Amirite?
Actually no, he sold it to pay his debts last time I heard.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:41 pm

David Kahn?
His agent swindled David Kahn, amongst others.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:53 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:41 pm

David Kahn?
His agent swindled David Kahn, amongst others.
I was trying to make a chortle by saying Kahn was Dorko's best agent.
According to Milicic, he told Kahn not to trade for him, but Kahn didn’t listen to Milicic’s warning and sent the Knicks Brian Cardinal for Milicic and some cash.

“I met with David Kahn and told him: ‘Don’t trade for me for the love of God. I don’t want to play in the NBA anymore. I’ll ruin your team. I’ll f*ck up the team chemistry. Do not trade for me. When it’s not working it’s not working.’”

Milicic said Kahn asked him to try it out for two weeks before giving up, and that he actually enjoyed his first year in Minnesota before it, like every other NBA stop he made, went off the rails. Timberwolves fans are probably not surprised to find out that Kahn, who is still infamous for his poor decision-making, would make a move like this despite being warned not to by the player himself.