Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves Rotation

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Philo Beddoe

Re: Wolves Rotation

Post by Philo Beddoe »

We are looking at a 72 game schedule in a short period. I am assuming that there are going to be more back to back games.

I know our players are mostly young, but there are going to be nights when they are going to give players a night out for a "back spasm" or some shit.

This NBA season more than before, depth is going to matter.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:22 am Rubio/Russell
Russell/Beasley/Okogie
Edwards/Culver
Layman/Juancho
KAT/Davis

I think that's how I start the season... I could see them putting Culver or Okogie in there instead of Edwards too. I start Rubio/Russell but I bring in Beasley within the first 4-5 minutes to replace Rubio. Goal is to get Rubio with the second unit when it's Beasley/Okogie or Culver/Juancho/Davis.

I think the Wolves will end up starting Russell/Beasley/Edwards/Juancho/KAT though.
This is my guess, tho I'd swap in Juancho.
Ketchup can be nuancy
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

thinktank wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:28 am
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:22 am Rubio/Russell
Russell/Beasley/Okogie
Edwards/Culver
Layman/Juancho
KAT/Davis

I think that's how I start the season... I could see them putting Culver or Okogie in there instead of Edwards too. I start Rubio/Russell but I bring in Beasley within the first 4-5 minutes to replace Rubio. Goal is to get Rubio with the second unit when it's Beasley/Okogie or Culver/Juancho/Davis.

I think the Wolves will end up starting Russell/Beasley/Edwards/Juancho/KAT though.
They’re not starting the season with Juancho on the bench, imo.

Why pay him to sit?

Plus Juancho is actually a PF who can shoot threes, unlike Layman.
Like I said, I think the Wolves will start Beasley/Juancho over Rubio and Layman but I like the idea of starting Rubio and then having him exit quickly to let Beasley get time next to both pgs. Second unit will need shooting if it's Rubio/Okogie/Culver/Layman/Davis .... hopefully they stagger Russell/Towns/Beasley a bit.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:32 am
It looks like they are playing against the Timberwolves Defense from last year.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Looks like a lottery team.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

looks like jarred's bulking up regimen didn't extend to below the waist.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:41 am Looks like a lottery team.
Outside of OKC, any non playoff team can easily get into the top 10 in the east.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

C KAT/Naz
PF Juancho/Davis/Vanderbilt
SF Edwards/Layman/*Okogie
SG Beasley/Culver/Okogie/Nowell
PG Dlo/ Rubio/ *Culver

Is how I see it.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:21 pm looks like jarred's bulking up regimen didn't extend to below the waist.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Russell/Rubio/JMac
Beasley/Okogie/Nowell
Edwards/Culver/Layman
Juancho/Davis/Vanderbilt/McDaniels
Towns/Reid

15 man roster guess. Might as well bring back JMac. He was a steady hand down the stretch. Played well.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Layman shot it well from 3 when he wasn't hurt last year. I bet he sees the lion's share of backup 4 minutes and Davis is more backup 5 or at the 4 when they need a big body to hit the glass and defend more conventional PFs. And they'll lean on Naz more heavily there as the most backup 5 minutes.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

memyworld wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:35 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:21 pm looks like jarred's bulking up regimen didn't extend to below the waist.
Maybe it’s just cold in the gym......
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

True second unit. Which you probably won't see all of them on the floor together very often.

Rubio
Okogie
Culver
Layman
Reid

Playmaker, couple slashers, bigs are the shooters, good perimeter D between Rubio, Okogie, and Culver. Makes some sense.
Style

Post by Style »

:lol:
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

jodaman01 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:20 pm
Maybe it’s just cold in the gym......
you dirty boys.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

mglviks wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:34 pm C KAT/Naz
PF Juancho/Davis/Vanderbilt
SF Edwards/Layman/*Okogie
SG Beasley/Culver/Okogie/Nowell
PG Dlo/ Rubio/ *Culver

Is how I see it.
then you basically are seeing okogie getting traded, little PT, or PT if a wing goes down with a season ender. i think it's more likely that davis sees most of his time split with naz backing up KAT - layman playing PF - and okogie backing up the 3.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boo

Post by boo »

YBBR wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:26 pm True second unit. Which you probably won't see all of them on the floor together very often.

Rubio
Okogie
Culver
Layman
Reid

Playmaker, couple slashers, bigs are the shooters, good perimeter D between Rubio, Okogie, and Culver. Makes some sense.
I will be interested to see who starts 10-20 games in. I hope that Edwards gives them no choice but to start him. But, if not, I think you have to put Culver or Okogie in the starting lineup. As they showed last year, unless they improved their shooting a lot, they can't play together.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

boo wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:31 pm
YBBR wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:26 pm True second unit. Which you probably won't see all of them on the floor together very often.

Rubio
Okogie
Culver
Layman
Reid

I will be interested to see who starts 10-20 games in. I hope that Edwards gives them no choice but to start him. But, if not, I think you have to put Culver or Okogie in the starting lineup. As they showed last year, unless they improved their shooting a lot, they can't play together.
They might start Okogie at the 3 early on. I think that's a possibility. I hope Edwards gets the nod soon. I hope he's good enough. He should be.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Rubio
Okogie
Culver
Layman
Reid

It's a really exciting second unit! Rubio is going to get Okogie and Culver to really develop, and Layman will be smashing the 3s. Reid on the offensive glass (hopefully adding some D skills). It's high octane which will throw teams off. As most will point out, it's the D that will suffer, but it's fine if the team is making up for it in threes and simply becoming an irritation to their passing.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

this could maybe be a nice opportunity to stand pat for awhile and significantly kick everyone's tires. remember - NO draft picks next year. i don't think we even have a second rounder. so - barring trades or free agents - what we have is what we have. and i kind of like that. let's let these guys get used to each other and be a team.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

anyone think there's a possibility we rescind the offer to jmac and look to sign a different low cost player? we now have rubio with dlo - signed ashton hagans as a UDFA - and of course there's still the fluttering of the culver as PG idea. i want jmac on the team - just wondering. batum, taj, elfrid payton, dedmon, quinn cook, ky bowman, zhaire smith, norvel pelle, marial shayok, keita bates diop, khyri thomas, ilyasova - and i'm sure there are more, suddenly are teamless. if biyombo is going from $17M last season to a vet min $2M this coming year, isn't that perhaps the coming situation for a number of these guys? there are still these deals that would fit in our cap. wenyen gabriel, a guy i really like - flies all over the floor defensively and can guard about anything - just moved on from the blazers over to the pels for $1.7M.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I feel like Zhaire Smith is a good player to play lotto with.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

irishman89 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:16 pm I feel like Zhaire Smith is a good player to play lotto with.
once again though. a 6-3 guard. how many of those shorter guys can be on one team? i'm also interested to see what happened to his body thru his illness. pretty sad, going from perhaps the most athletic guy in the draft at a solid 200 pounds - wasting all the way down to 160.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

elie okobo just got put on waivers. that's the guy. actually, maybe not. he might have a higher ceiling than jmac - he certainly was fantastic over in europe - but i'm starting to think the wolves are biding their time with the waiver wire and just seeing who becomes available.

jmac was a great find last year - and i'd just as soon reward him for that and keep him, to the point of starting rubio, putting jmac in as the bench PG and moving dlo over to SG. but i don't think that'll happen. i think dlo will start, rubio will back up and jmac (if on the squad) will do a disappearing act this season. and, if that's the case, maybe we should just cut ties and let him seek PT elsewhere. we picked up hagans as a UDFA - which is pretty much jmac's story a couple years ago - and there's a lot to like about hagans. one of the best defensive PGs in the draft - good size. maybe he just slips into that third if needed developing down in iowa role. and we still have culver, who can impersonate a PG at times. so maybe they're just checking the waiver wire every day to see if something more fetching than jmac pops up. all of it is accessible salarywise. if bismack biyombo can go from $17M last year to $2M this year, we should be able to land an under $3M player. and if so, i have a feeling we'll be carrying 14, not 15.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

just looking at our squad - overall, the 14 guys i presume will be here - and am sort of blown away by how willowy we are. and i'm referencing the new nba measurements which are supposed to be dead on. naz goes 264. kat goes 248. our new rookie guard anthony edwards weighs in as the third heftiest guy on roster at 225. and then ALL the rest hit the scales between 185 and 218 pounds. is this maybe normal these days for nba rosters? what do you guys think?
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

Here’s where I see it as of today:

DLo/Rubio
Beasley/Culver/Nowell
Okogie/Edwards/McDaniels
Juancho/Layman/Vanderbilt
KAT/Davis/Reid

I also see JMac back as the 3rd PG.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Dubs wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:15 pm Here’s where I see it as of today:

DLo/Rubio
Beasley/Culver/Nowell
Okogie/Edwards/McDaniels
KAT/Davis/Reid

pretty close - but unless he's absolutely trash in training camp, i see edwards starting over okogie. he's the overall number 1 pick going to a bad team. the assumption i think should be that he plays starter's minutes.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:28 pm

DLo/Rubio
Beasley/Culver/Nowell
Okogie/Edwards/McDaniels
KAT/Davis/Reid

pretty close - but unless he's absolutely trash in training camp, i see edwards starting over okogie. he's the overall number 1 pick going to a bad team. the assumption i think should be that he plays starter's minutes.
Agreed, almost an unwritten rule that a number 1 pick starts, or at least starts about 5 games in.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

LordNu wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:45 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:28 pm

DLo/Rubio
Beasley/Culver/Nowell
Okogie/Edwards/McDaniels
KAT/Davis/Reid

Agreed, almost an unwritten rule that a number 1 pick starts, or at least starts about 5 games in.
and even if we're a poor team - we do have somewhat of an established pecking order. we're not starting from scratch. i would assume, to begin with, edwards would be the 4th option on offense. he can get his feet wet playing with energy, running the floor, rebounding, playing D, and shooting occasionally. his role will expand depending on how successful he is.