Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves Rotation

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
thinktank

Re: Wolves Rotation

Post by thinktank »

j2j wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:34 pm
thinktank wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:32 pm
j2j wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:06 pm As of today

C - Towns/Reid
PF - Layman/Juancho/Vanderbilt
SF - Edwards/Culver
SG - Beasley/Okogie
PG - Russell/Ricky

Assuming Beasley and Juancho are re-signed. That was good for 24 wins last year over an 82 game schedule. Of course Towns missed most of the season and the trades...

Without another major move, best case scenario is 30 wins and no lottery pick in the 2021 draft.
KAT and DLo played one game together.

You’re comparing us now to a mostly KAT/Wiggins record.

Worth calling out.
Which is why I gave them 6 extra wins.
I’ll take the over if you’re setting it at 30 wins.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

culver's the 2 - okogie the 3. give jarrett a couple more years to put some muscle on.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
j2j

Post by j2j »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:53 pm culver's the 2 - okogie the 3. give jarrett a couple more years to put some muscle on.
Shuffling deck chairs.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

So where are we now:

DLo / Rubio / JMac
Beasley / Okogie
Edwards / Laymen / Culver
Juancho / Vanderbilt
Towns / Naz
Big Kato

Post by Big Kato »

thinktank wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:50 pm
j2j wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:34 pm
thinktank wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:32 pm

KAT and DLo played one game together.

You’re comparing us now to a mostly KAT/Wiggins record.

Worth calling out.
Which is why I gave them 6 extra wins.
I’ll take the over if you’re setting it at 30 wins.
I’ll take the under.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

this is such the wolves way. i go into wednesday hoping we come out of the draft with a trade back for a vet and the best defending big in college ball to pair with KAT for the foreseeable future. and by friday night, i'm wondering if we can snag thon maker off the waiver wire for the vet minimum to give us reasonable minutes at the 4.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
j2j

Post by j2j »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:05 pm this is such the wolves way. i go into wednesday hoping we come out of the draft with a trade back for a vet and the best defending big in college ball to pair with KAT for the foreseeable future. and by friday night, i'm wondering if we can snag thon maker off the waiver wire for the vet minimum to give us reasonable minutes at the 4.
:| It's depressing, ain't it?

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

j2j wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:24 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:05 pm this is such the wolves way. i go into wednesday hoping we come out of the draft with a trade back for a vet and the best defending big in college ball to pair with KAT for the foreseeable future. and by friday night, i'm wondering if we can snag thon maker off the waiver wire for the vet minimum to give us reasonable minutes at the 4.
and now i'm watching gleague vids of donta hall. we could do worse. a hard playing high energy super athletic defensive big that goes 6-10 235 with a 7-5 wingspan. as long as it might be juancho starting, we have room for a guy like this. comp out of netsland is that he's a shorter version of jarrett allen.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:13 am Let's get weird :beer:

Ricky
DLo
Beasley
Edwards
KAT
For those that didn't hear me in the first page :beer:
j2j

Post by j2j »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:28 pm
and now i'm watching gleague vids of donta hall.
Have your kid hide the sharp objects.

Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Let the other teams match up with us!!
witljon

Post by witljon »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:23 am So many guards. Something has to give.
We will see some at SF
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Rubio/Culver/Jmac
DLo/Beasley/Nowell
Edwards/Okogie/Layman
Juancho/McDaniels/Vandy
Towns/Naz/Spellman

That’s 16 guys on the roster and if you retain juancho and Jmac.

Wolves have 11 million left before we hit the tax line.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
j2j

Post by j2j »

Cant imagine McDaniels plays much at all this year. Vandy will play more.

For as much as Rosas talking about DLo being the PG they wanted, starting Rubio doesn't seem to make sense either, though trading for him made even less sense.

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

can't help but feeling loads disillusioned about all of this. we'll see how it plays out, of course. i could be wrong. but we went into the draft with Dlo, jmac, culver (a number 6 from just a year back), okogie, nowell and layman (who can play the 3). not fantastically deep, but certainly more than what we have up front.

and so we drafted a guard. and then a wing and a tweener forward, both who won't be ready for years. and then resigned a guard with a track record of off court behavioral stupidity for $60M/4yrs. and then traded (a PF) for another guard who has two years left of a $35M contract. and then, in the only UDFA signing we make, we get ... yet another guard (although ashton hagans is a really decent defense first guy, so there's that.)

so, what is that - about $40M more in guard payroll this year added to a team that already had a bunch of guards but hardly anything in the frontcourt? and still no immediate front court moves - except the subtraction of JJ.

it's like the guy who comes home from the grocery store to find his house on fire - and instead of dialing 911 and saving his kids - he runs to the basement to rescue some more canned goods he has in his pantry.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:28 pm
and now i'm watching gleague vids of donta hall. we could do worse. a hard playing high energy super athletic defensive big that goes 6-10 235 with a 7-5 wingspan. as long as it might be juancho starting, we have room for a guy like this. comp out of netsland is that he's a shorter version of jarrett allen.
I'm starting to see a trend. You're favorite draft pick was Okungwu, but I don't think his ceiling is as high you imagine. You loved Jordan Bell, who turned out to be trash. You're current crush is Jarred Vanderbilt ... and now Donte Hall?

I do hope your right about Vanderbilt, I'll be happy if he is a fringe rotational player.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

what i see is a team that ranked nearly last in defense in the league last year - centered around two max players who don't play defense. the additions i've wanted to see on this team are specifically players who have been successful on that end of the court. i don't always get it right, none of us do - but asking to add defense to this crapass defense isn't exactly like i'm living in narnia. donta hall would play better D than juancho. he'd cost less than juancho - and we could do it for fewer years so the commitment wouldn't be long in case it doesn't work out. people in brooklyn are very high on him - but unlike us, they have a plethora of frontcourt dudes, so getting him to come here - where we have half as many - wouldn't be the worst move he could make. why does wanting to add some defense to this horribly defending team seem like some sort of absurd idea? and it's not like i'm alone here. most of the national pundit feedback on our moves has been significantly tempered with "but who's going to play defense?"
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:54 am what i see is a team that ranked nearly last in defense in the league last year - centered around two max players who don't play defense. the additions i've wanted to see on this team are specifically players who have been successful on that end of the court. i don't always get it right, none of us do - but asking to add defense to this crapass defense isn't exactly like i'm living in narnia. donta hall would play better D than juancho. he'd cost less than juancho - and we could do it for fewer years so the commitment wouldn't be long in case it doesn't work out. people in brooklyn are very high on him - but unlike us, they have a plethora of frontcourt dudes, so getting him to come here - where we have half as many - wouldn't be the worst move he could make. why does wanting to add some defense to this horribly defending team seem like some sort of absurd idea? and it's not like i'm alone here. most of the national pundit feedback on our moves has been significantly tempered with "but who's going to play defense?"
I would have to assume this is a focus right now.. it has to be. Let's see what the front office does though before we assume they're done and they have the roster ready to go. I would expect more minor moves to be made here too... the wing spots are getting pretty dang crowded and if you don't have immediate plans to play Okogie/Culver you may want to ship them before they rot away on your bench.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:29 pm
Rusty Kuntz wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:13 am Let's get weird :beer:

Ricky
DLo
Beasley
Edwards
KAT
For those that didn't hear me in the first page :beer:
Remember when Shabazz played PF and at times teams were unable to figure it out.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

It is funny that for most of this franchise’s history, the PF was the only position you could usually count on having an advantage (KG, Big Al, Love) and now we’ve got fair to good talent everywhere but the 4.

But if this isn’t a huge clue that we’re going smallball, I don’t know what is. Like it or hate it, that’s where this roster is heading. I don’t think you can win a title that way, but you can be fun and entertaining and have some regular-season success. If the talent on this team develops and gels, it’s a fun competitive squad.

And a fun, competitive squad is better than we’ve had for all but one year of this franchise’s existence.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:56 pm It is funny that for most of this franchise’s history, the PF was the only position you could usually count on having an advantage (KG, Big Al, Love) and now we’ve got fair to good talent everywhere but the 4.

But if this isn’t a huge clue that we’re going smallball, I don’t know what is. Like it or hate it, that’s where this roster is heading. I don’t think you can win a title that way, but you can be fun and entertaining and have some regular-season success. If the talent on this team develops and gels, it’s a fun competitive squad.

And a fun, competitive squad is better than we’ve had for all but one year of this franchise’s existence.
We don't have good enough shooters to play this way either.

This roster is in no man's land right now.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

rosas is taking us all out to eat - and trying to explain how going to the Rainforest Cafe at Mall of America will be a better dining experience than going to Manny's.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:05 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:56 pm It is funny that for most of this franchise’s history, the PF was the only position you could usually count on having an advantage (KG, Big Al, Love) and now we’ve got fair to good talent everywhere but the 4.

We don't have good enough shooters to play this way either.

This roster is in no man's land right now.
Towns, Russell, and Beasley are. Edwards is unknown. Ricky is low-end for that style if he duplicates last year (he’s unacceptable if he’s at his career averages). Gomez, assuming he returns, is lowish-end, but acceptable.

So long as Towns, Beasley, and Russell are taking most of the shots (with Edwards as a wildcard), they’ll be okay.

The second unit will have to play differently. Culver and Okogie are not that kind of player at all. They’re slasher/cutters on offense.

I’m not super concerned about scoring. Defense is where the teeth-nashing will most called for. Those three above are all bad defenders. Edwards projects well, but he’s 19. Ricky is “clever” and “savvy” but nobody considers him “shut-down.” Culver has upside, but isn’t there. Okogie is great, but his offense is so bad it’s barely a net plus. Gomez is bad.

This will again be a good offensive club and a bad defensive one. If they’re good enough on offense, they can be a fun watch and win some games. I’ll take that this year.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

so... if we just add jmac and nowell and vandy, will it be a 14 man roster or am i missing something?

dlo / rubio / jmac

beasley / culver / nowell

edwards / okogie

juancho / layman / vandy

kat / davis / naz
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:15 pm This will again be a good offensive club and a bad defensive one. If they’re good enough on offense, they can be a fun watch and win some games. I’ll take that this year.
Absolutely. Let’s let the optimism shine. The might be a lot better than last year. There are only a handful of team that have a legit shot at the title and the wolves and 20 other teams aren’t one of the. That doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy watching a totally rebuilt team improve.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:01 pm so... if we just add jmac and nowell and vandy, will it be a 14 man roster or am i missing something?

dlo / rubio / jmac

edwards / okogie / McDaniels

juancho / layman / vandy

kat / davis / naz
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Davis starts at PF though?
j2j

Post by j2j »

LordNu wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:20 pm Davis starts at PF though?
No

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

SO_MONEY wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:10 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:01 pm so... if we just add jmac and nowell and vandy, will it be a 14 man roster or am i missing something?

dlo / rubio / jmac

edwards / okogie / McDaniels

juancho / layman / vandy

kat / davis / naz
yeah, perhaps. i think he'll be spending mucho time in IOWA and at IHOP, but he probably will see some action. he's not ready though. this guy came to college a year ago at 6-9 185. and found the college game too physical.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:20 pm
LordNu wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:20 pm Davis starts at PF though?
No
i would think not after we've just laid out 7 for juanch.