Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves Rotation

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: Wolves Rotation

Post by somuchyummy »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:44 pm just looking at our squad - overall, the 14 guys i presume will be here - and am sort of blown away by how willowy we are. and i'm referencing the new nba measurements which are supposed to be dead on. naz goes 264. kat goes 248. our new rookie guard anthony edwards weighs in as the third heftiest guy on roster at 225. and then ALL the rest hit the scales between 185 and 218 pounds. is this maybe normal these days for nba rosters? what do you guys think?
okay - i'll respond to my own question because hey i had time on my hands today. in the nba - and i think this is counting recent draftees who have signed contracts - i found that there are 234 players who weigh 220 pounds or more. that's an average of about 8 guys per team. and the wolves carry 3 - naz, KAT and edwards. so i was right - we're lightweights. not sure if there is an advantage or a disadvantage to it - just remarking that we are definitely not the norm here.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:58 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:44 pm just looking at our squad - overall, the 14 guys i presume will be here - and am sort of blown away by how willowy we are. and i'm referencing the new nba measurements which are supposed to be dead on. naz goes 264. kat goes 248. our new rookie guard anthony edwards weighs in as the third heftiest guy on roster at 225. and then ALL the rest hit the scales between 185 and 218 pounds. is this maybe normal these days for nba rosters? what do you guys think?
okay - i'll respond to my own question because hey i had time on my hands today. in the nba - and i think this is counting recent draftees who have signed contracts - i found that there are 234 players who weigh 220 pounds or more. that's an average of about 8 guys per team. and the wolves carry 3 - naz, KAT and edwards. so i was right - we're lightweights. not sure if there is an advantage or a disadvantage to it - just remarking that we are definitely not the norm here.
Yes wolves need to eat extra portions this Thanksgiving and there is definitely a disadvantage in our PF/C positions.

Spellman would have helped in this category
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i was surprised to find that ed weighs only 218. doesn't seem to have hampered his ability to get boards. i think some players have ways of working around it and others frankly could stand to put more muscle on. and there's a balance to be had. naz gets shoved around a LOT for being a big guy - he could stand to drop 20 and it would probably improve his strength and balance.

and KAT at 248 is heavy enough, but his weight is distributed unevenly. too much on top - not enough base, and he gets shoved around because of it.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:11 pm i was surprised to find that ed weighs only 218. doesn't seem to have hampered his ability to get boards. i think some players have ways of working around it and others frankly could stand to put more muscle on. and there's a balance to be had. naz gets shoved around a LOT for being a big guy - he could stand to drop 20 and it would probably improve his strength and balance.

and KAT at 248 is heavy enough, but his weight is distributed unevenly. too much on top - not enough base, and he gets shoved around because of it.
Draft players with fat legs!
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:51 pm
LordNu wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:45 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:28 pm

pretty close - but unless he's absolutely trash in training camp, i see edwards starting over okogie. he's the overall number 1 pick going to a bad team. the assumption i think should be that he plays starter's minutes.
Agreed, almost an unwritten rule that a number 1 pick starts, or at least starts about 5 games in.
and even if we're a poor team - we do have somewhat of an established pecking order. we're not starting from scratch. i would assume, to begin with, edwards would be the 4th option on offense. he can get his feet wet playing with energy, running the floor, rebounding, playing D, and shooting occasionally. his role will expand depending on how successful he is.
The problem is, the second units pg... is phenomenal at making players better. He would be better off playing most of his time with Rubio. Maybe that's the plan? Bring Rubio on with Edwards and have Russell stay on at SG? The rotation of the guards is endless.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

There's no way Ed Davis is 218. I can't imagine a 19 year old Edwards weighs more than Ed Davis. That can't be possible.

Anyway yeah you think post players or those who operate as bigs would want a strong lower body more so than upper body. Not that you wouldn't want both. Listen I know leg day sucks, but you gotta do it.

Phase potentiation model: Hypertrophy/Strength/Power/Speed

Build more muscle, Make that muscle strong, train that muscle to more efficiently produce power, train power to produce speed
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I think day 1 starting lineup will be:

Dlo
Edwards
Beasly
Juancho
KAT

Also, remember last year, they always subbed KAT out early in the 1st quarter. I think they might do that with Edwards as well this year.

Bring in Reid and Layman early 1st Quarter... the drop off in scoring would not be that big of deal as long as Dlo and Beasley are still on the court.

This way, you can bring KAT and Edwards back in the game with Rubio at PG.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

YBBR wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:42 pm There's no way Ed Davis is 218. I can't imagine a 19 year old Edwards weighs more than Ed Davis. That can't be possible.

Anyway yeah you think post players or those who operate as bigs would want a strong lower body more so than upper body. Not that you wouldn't want both. Listen I know leg day sucks, but you gotta do it.

Phase potentiation model: Hypertrophy/Strength/Power/Speed

Build more muscle, Make that muscle strong, train that muscle to more efficiently produce power, train power to produce speed
i'm going to trust those numbers because i got them off the new nba site that supposedly was intent on correcting all the measurements. and it doesn't surprise me the more i look at ed. he's pretty lean, but muscled - edwards is thick. but it is a little weird i think, that a pro team's new 19 year old GUARD is the third heaviest guy on roster. i think nearly all other nba teams have considerably more beef on them. and our problem with strength is magnified because both our heaviest guys - naz and KAT - aren't particularly bulls. they are heavy in the wrong places and get pushed around.
TonyJoe

Post by TonyJoe »

Ricky
Culver
Okogie
RHJ
Ed Davis

Defense wins championships LET’S PLAY!!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

that's actually fun to see. in the past, i don't think we could dredge a good defending 5 out of our rosters.
Bullazin

Post by Bullazin »

My groups would be

DLO
Beas
Culver
Launcho
Kat

Ricky
Edwards- feed him
Okogie
Layman
Naz

Ricky - facilitates Dlo and Kat, guards the 2
DLo
RHJ
Davis-guards the best big
Kat
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

It seems like this is the first year that Rosas:

1. Isn’t tanking.

2. Therefore is trying to build a well-rounded team that can adapt when they’re getting exploited by matchups from the opposing team.

In other words, we finally get to watch our hometown Wolves actually try to win some games for the first time in two years.

That is EXCITING.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

thinktank wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:58 pm It seems like this is the first year that Rosas:

1. Isn’t tanking.

2. Therefore is trying to build a well-rounded team that can adapt when they’re getting exploited by matchups from the opposing team.

In other words, we finally get to watch our hometown Wolves actually try to win some games for the first time in two years.

That is EXCITING.
It makes me think the rotations will be all over the place if he uses a gameplan based on the players abilities.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

LordNu wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:21 pm
thinktank wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:58 pm It seems like this is the first year that Rosas:

1. Isn’t tanking.

That is EXCITING.
It makes me think the rotations will be all over the place if he uses a gameplan based on the players abilities.
I think at the start of the year they will be, at least.

This won’t be the same contour as those years where we come out the gates looking good and then tank the rest of the year.

I expect a slow start and then pick up steam into our #1 - #10 playoff matchup, where we get crushed by the Lakers.

You’re on your own after that.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

this team should be all about trying to win as many games this year as possible. ( i know, this has to be said?) but with nothing hanging in the balance draftwise, this year it should be all about establishing a winning culture. there should never be a game where we start to mail it in because we're down by 13 early in the fourth. especially if we can prevent GS from getting another lottery pick.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

when i look at the training camp roster, here's what i'd like to see happen.

biggest move would be finding a taker for okogie in exchange for a second rounder in next year's loaded draft. i know it's an unpopular opinion with some here, but i do think the clock on his time here is ticking - so let's just move him now to get back into the draft pool next year. RHJ can be signed for a min contract - and what he does on the court will make up for josh's loss. they bring such similar games - although RHJ has the added benefit of being a more realistic defender in the front court - while still being able to handle perimeter players as well. the difference in wins and losses with this move is nil. it's more about future money and getting back into the 2021 draft. a positive change in wins/losses falls squarely on the shoulders of our max players - on the continued accuracy of beasley - and the development of culver and edwards. this move also opens a roster spot to enable us to keep both nowell and jmac. guys third in their positions on the depth chart would spend a lot of time in iowa. as for the rest, there would be no hockey lineup substitutions - it would be important to keep two of Karl/Dlo/beasley/edwards on the court at all times. hagans and maybe tyler cook get the two-way deals.

Dlo - Rubio - Jmac
Beasley - Culver - Nowell
Edwards - RHJ - McDaniels
Hernangomez - Layman - Vanderbilt
Towns - Davis - Reid
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:56 pm when i look at the training camp roster, here's what i'd like to see happen.

biggest move would be finding a taker for okogie in exchange for a second rounder in next year's loaded draft. i know it's an unpopular opinion with some here, but i do think the clock on his time here is ticking - so let's just move him now to get back into the draft pool next year. RHJ can be signed for a min contract - and what he does on the court will make up for josh's loss. they bring such similar games - although RHJ has the added benefit of being a more realistic defender in the front court - while still being able to handle perimeter players as well. the difference in wins and losses with this move is nil. it's more about future money and getting back into the 2021 draft. a positive change in wins/losses falls squarely on the shoulders of our max players - on the continued accuracy of beasley - and the development of culver and edwards. this move also opens a roster spot to enable us to keep both nowell and jmac. guys third in their positions on the depth chart would spend a lot of time in iowa. as for the rest, there would be no hockey lineup substitutions - it would be important to keep two of Karl/Dlo/beasley/edwards on the court at all times. hagans and maybe tyler cook get the two-way deals.

Dlo - Rubio - Jmac
Beasley - Culver - Nowell
Edwards - RHJ - McDaniels
Hernangomez - Layman - Vanderbilt
Towns - Davis - Reid
I honestly don't want to move anyone right now as this collection is likely to get everyone fired. And not because they are bad and will hurt their value. But with this ridiculous offseason already largely done how is it we still have roster issues as to numbers? Is the idiot incapable of even simple math? Obviously yes.

What the hell is the point of RHJ? Have always been a fan of his but what the hell is the point of one year dealing a guy like him and playing him out of position so we can come in 12th and lose a good player this year and him next?
TonyJoe

Post by TonyJoe »

Rubio
Dlo
Beasley
Okogie
Towns

=

Small ball might win championships

LET’S PLAY!
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Probable starters: Russell/Beasley/Okogie/Layman/KAT
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Looks like the rotation is gonna be

DLo
Beasley
Okogie
Layman
Towns

Rubio
Edwards
Culver
Juancho
Ed Davis
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:06 pm Looks like the rotation is gonna be

DLo
Beasley
Okogie
Layman
Towns

Rubio
Edwards
Culver
Juancho
Ed Davis
That seems to be simply mixing the starters and backups in two sides. I wouldn't be too impressed with Layman starting at PF when we signed Juancho.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Culver and Okogie are a pair of clowns who have no business being considered as any type of longterm players for an NBA Team.

Okogie doesn’t know how to actually play organized basketball.... just wind him up and let him run around like an idiot on the court.

Culver.....just.....oooof.
j2j

Post by j2j »

jodaman01 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:23 pm Culver and Okogie are a pair of clowns who have no business being considered as any type of longterm players for an NBA Team.

Okogie doesn’t know how to actually play organized basketball.... just wind him up and let him run around like an idiot on the court.

That's where I was leaning early.

Really what this team needs is one Danny Green/Bruce Bowen type. Someone who can play great defense and stand in the corner and knock down 3s. Doesn't dribble, doesn't run around like a chicken with his head cut off, and consolidates minutes. Dump those two for that type of guy and it would move the needle. We have too many guys who need the ball and hurt spacing.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

j2j wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:09 pm
jodaman01 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:23 pm Culver and Okogie are a pair of clowns who have no business being considered as any type of longterm players for an NBA Team.

Really what this team needs is one Danny Green/Bruce Bowen type. Someone who can play great defense and stand in the corner and knock down 3s. Doesn't dribble, doesn't run around like a chicken with his head cut off, and consolidates minutes. Dump those two for that type of guy and it would move the needle. We have too many guys who need the ball and hurt spacing.
Okogie is in trouble, especially with the PF talk. They clearly have no place for him at the money he will try and demand. Culver at least understands the game and seems like he can be coached but he looks like a guy who maybe should have stayed in college longer, matured and gained actual confidence - he doesn’t look like he belongs in the NBA yet.

Your observation on the Zion and Morant Draft, just showed the talent drop in that draft from spots #1 and #2 to #3-#5 is like the distance from Earth to the Sun.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

j2j wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:09 pm

I wonder what Minnesota offered Houston for PJ Tucker... or if there was even a for sure offer.... my interest in Okogie is fading a bit now.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Tucker would be such a great addition. Of course it seems impossible we'd make that addition.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i don't see how houston views okogie as a valuable addition. i know they're the kings of small ball - but they've already got all sorts of wings on that team who are in the same tier or better than josh. james harden, john wall, danuel house, eric gordon, bruno caboclo, gerald green, ben mclemore, david nwaba, jerian grant, trevelin queen, mason jones, michael frazier, jae'sean tate, sterling brown... how does the addition of okogie and subtraction of tucker appeal to houston in any possible way?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

here's an idea to move okogie. like i've said, i think considering the struggling hit and miss nature of his contributions on O - we could replace his defensive acumen with RHJ - and it would register nary a BLIP on our overall team performance. especially with what hopes to be a maturing of nowell's talent and the additions of edwards, bolmaro and mcdaniels.

what could we get for okogie? i don't think a first rounder - so we move to the 2021 second round. any team picking in the thirties will likely be a bottom feeder who would rather roll the dice on a rookie than go with josh. however, if we could find a playoff team who might like him for this season - and who has traded up into the probable 30s in the 2021 draft - that would be ideal. portland, as far as i know, has cleveland's 2nd round pick next year - which will likely be in the 30s. portland's roster right now also has - i think - just 15 guys on it. and of those 15, it includes forward cj ellerby, a 44th pick in the last draft - and undrafted 25 yr old guard keljin blevins, who they have signed to a two way deal. there IS room on their roster - and they might like okogie's energy and D as an option off the bench.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Okogie is basically Corey Brewer. Lot of effort and hustle, but no control, and their bodies work faster than their brains.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:27 am Okogie is basically Corey Brewer. Lot of effort and hustle, but no control, and their bodies work faster than their brains.
but brew had his offensive moments. remember the 50 point game? it's a call for confetti and ice cream anytime josh explodes for 20. in 136 nba games, josh has done that 4 times.