Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves get B-

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
D_H

Wolves get B-

Post by D_H »

:thumbsup:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2020 ... moves/amp/

Edwards was clearly the best fit for the Wolves out of the top three prospects and he has All-NBA scoring potential, but he's anything but a sure thing. Bolmaro and McDaniels are both exciting young prospects, but none of Minnesota's picks do anything to address its atrocious defense. Grade: B-
Beef Supreme

Re: Wolves get B-

Post by Beef Supreme »

While I think it’s fair to ding the Wolves’ picks for not being great defensive players, I think it’s silly to expect any rookie 19 or 20-year old to come into the nba and be a defensive asset. Sure, it can happen, but it’s the exception and not the rule. Edwards had good defensive upside if he can be reached. McDaniels will probably never be able to hang with beefy big, but has the length and athleticism to be a plus defender on the wing and add something as a weak side shot-blocker. Neither might ever become that, but they have the physical tools.

No idea about Bolmona’s defensive upside.

Ricky Rubio will help this team defensively as much as any rookie they could have drafted.

I don’t think B- is unfair, but I think the rationale is silly.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
D_H

Post by D_H »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:36 pm While I think it’s fair to ding the Wolves’ picks for not being great defensive players, I think it’s silly to expect any rookie 19 or 20-year old to come into the nba and be a defensive asset. Sure, it can happen, but it’s the exception and not the rule. Edwards had good defensive upside if he can be reached. McDaniels will probably never be able to hang with beefy big, but has the length and athleticism to be a plus defender on the wing and add something as a weak side shot-blocker. Neither might ever become that, but they have the physical tools.

Ricky Rubio will help this team defensively as much as any rookie they could have drafted.

It’s just for fun The reality is no one really knows for sure until three years from now.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

D_H wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:38 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:36 pm While I think it’s fair to ding the Wolves’ picks for not being great defensive players, I think it’s silly to expect any rookie 19 or 20-year old to come into the nba and be a defensive asset. Sure, it can happen, but it’s the exception and not the rule. Edwards had good defensive upside if he can be reached. McDaniels will probably never be able to hang with beefy big, but has the length and athleticism to be a plus defender on the wing and add something as a weak side shot-blocker. Neither might ever become that, but they have the physical tools.

It’s just for fun The reality is no one really knows for sure until three years from now.
For sure. I just think the take that the Wolves should have emerged from the draft with guys that will help their defense immediately is silly. That almost never happens. You should count yourself extremely lucky if your 19 year-old rookie is even league average on defense his first year.

- Isaac Asimov
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

"Edwards was clearly the best fit for the Wolves out of the top three prospects and he has All-NBA scoring potential, but he's anything but a sure thing."

None of the prospects were sure things though. This guy said he had Ball rated as the #1 prospect, but my response to that is he's far from a sure thing either.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

The whole draft class got a C... so if you get above that, you did good.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:46 pm "Edwards was clearly the best fit for the Wolves out of the top three prospects and he has All-NBA scoring potential, but he's anything but a sure thing."

None of the prospects were sure things though. This guy said he had Ball rated as the #1 prospect, but my response to that is he's far from a sure thing either.
Ball and Wiseman are more of a sure thing imo as far as becoming at the very least, contributors.

Obviously you are hoping for more but I think they at least give you that. Where Edturds is either the next Wade or out of the league in a few years.

Reminds me of the Bennett pick.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:59 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:46 pm "Edwards was clearly the best fit for the Wolves out of the top three prospects and he has All-NBA scoring potential, but he's anything but a sure thing."

Ball and Wiseman are more of a sure thing imo as far as becoming at the very least, contributors.

Obviously you are hoping for more but I think they at least give you that. Where Edturds is either the next Wade or out of the league in a few years.

I agree with what you say, but I don't think that was the writer's intent nor do I think that should be the goal.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:50 pm The whole draft class got a C... so if you get above that, you did good.
We’re slightly above average!

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

This would have been a great draft had they kept #17 and traded down to maybe snag Toppin or Hali. However, I don't believe the Wolves had enough ammo to make that move.

Joda is saying Rosas is still "Star hunting" with what assets?

I think from all reports the Wolves wanted to move back in the top 10 but what it shows me is Culver has about no worth in a trade and that doesn't surprise me.

This team has 3 players with true value. Kat, Dlo and Edturds. They already tried to net a star with #1 and couldn't and they are not trading the other two.

You would be lucky to get a bag of balls back for the rest of the roster.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Geez DH, that's the kindest Wolves post you have ever made.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

two other teams also got Bminuses - and three other teams graded out worse. so... only 24 teams above us in terms of draft grade according to cbs. and quite a feat, i may add - starting out the night with three of the top 33 picks including the number one.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

I get A+ grades on my fantasy drafts all the time and still end up losing so who cares. Pretty sure Milwaukee didn't get an A+++ for Greek Freak.

Anyone have our draft grade for the Rubio year? a little curious how others thought we did.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

New York Post:

Full Draft Grade - A-

https://nypost.com/2020/11/19/nba-draft ... ams-picks/
Last edited by jodaman01 on Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

jodaman01 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:36 pm New York Post:

Full Draft Grade - A-

I mean, again, if there was no trade back....I feel like that's a fair grade, and that's not even grading adding Ricky. You take arguably the best talent you think is in the draft, you draft and stash a project, and you take a project big to groom in G league. We turned two first rounders and a third into three first rounders and a starting caliber player on a veteran lacking team. It's not a killer draft, but I don't understand the gloom over last night.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:59 pm

You are gonna be the guy that said Jordan is no Sam Bowie.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:45 pm
jodaman01 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:36 pm New York Post:

Full Draft Grade - A-

I mean, again, if there was no trade back....I feel like that's a fair grade, and that's not even grading adding Ricky. You take arguably the best talent you think is in the draft, you draft and stash a project, and you take a project big to groom in G league. We turned two first rounders and a third into three first rounders and a starting caliber player on a veteran lacking team. It's not a killer draft, but I don't understand the gloom over last night.
It wasn’t that bad, people are cooling off. After learning more about the Bolermo and McDaniels picks and seeing the videos and reading “outsiders” analysis” it looks like the Wolves did some real homework. As with all of these players - who the hell knows, but it’s easier to hope for the best right now than go apeshit.

They need to do something at PF, they have a few chances here to address it, if they do nothing....then I will vent.

GO WOlVES!! :thumbsup:
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

Docking a team for not addressing defense is weird in the draft.

Remember when KAT was going to anchor a defense?
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Only Okongwu would immediately address our defensive issues, maybe you could argue Okoru. However, if that's s B- so be it. I think the McDaniels pick was very good, we've got a euro asset and Edwards, like all picks, are far from a sure thing lol. What a great write up, like people know. If Edwards reaches his potential, he's a perfectly fine pick...just like any player that rises to the top after they've been drafted.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

OliverMiller wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:24 pm Docking a team for not addressing defense is weird in the draft.

i don't know if i agree with that. some "sure things" become sure things - no quotes needed. matisse thybulle and brandon clarke have both kicked ass way above their pay grade - my guess is that both okongwu and okoro are going to be impactful as well.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:23 pm
OliverMiller wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:24 pm Docking a team for not addressing defense is weird in the draft.

i don't know if i agree with that. some "sure things" become sure things - no quotes needed. matisse thybulle and brandon clarke have both kicked ass way above their pay grade - my guess is that both okongwu and okoro are going to be impactful as well.

Sure, some. Meaning there are a number that don't.

Rubio was going to be a horrendous defender but has been a good team defender since day 1.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

Figures Thrill would call a rookie who hasn't played one second in the NBA a name. New low for him.
My heart is family.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

With the recent additions the Wolves and Rosas have jumped to an A- minus for me, this roster is full of REAL NBA talent.

Rosas appears to have no respect for the PF position or is just building up enough decent trade assets to move along with Beasley, Jauncho, Okogie or Culver to get an Aaron Gordon level PF in trade.

To complain about where this Wolves roster is from where it was when THIBBS was thrown out is straight up idiocy.

Even without a move for a PF, I think it’s going to be a good season for the Wolves.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup: