Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

what bigs interest you?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
j2j

Re: what bigs interest you?

Post by j2j »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:54 am
j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:57 am
T_J wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:54 am

Portland just got him. 1 year deal.
Saw that. I'm weeping right now.

Good franchises make good moves and attract good players. Shit franchises do the opposite.
Was the tweet deleted?
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:48 pm
j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:57 am

Saw that. I'm weeping right now.

Good franchises make good moves and attract good players. Shit franchises do the opposite.
Was the tweet deleted?
Yeah. Here it is again.

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
swenjj

Post by swenjj »

Free agency signing day,I put 12 hours of work in,come and look online and see our pf position is still Vanderbilt and McDaniels.. hopefully Rosas has a trade in the works .looking at the leftovers here.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:10 am Omari has a usable skillset, I hope he gets a chance. High IQ, plays team ball, can shoot it, pass it... but not a huge help on defense.
He may, or he may not. The real stupidity is a team that is cruising to a winning percentage under 30% acquiring a former first round pick like Spellman with a "usable" skillset and then just banishing him. It might have been a different story if his contract was expiring at the end of the season. But GSW had picked up his 3rd year option so he had a guaranteed deal for 2020-21.

So, the correct thing to do was put him on the court. Give him minutes. With Golden St he average 18 minutes a game, 15.0 points and 8.9 rebounds/36 and shot 39.1% from 3. He is a career 36.6% 3 point shooter on 5.1 3-attempts/36 (those are better shooting percentages thatn Hernangomez) . I don't give a shit if he is "pouting". That guy goes on the court and you see if he can duplicate those results. I would even argue that you put Spellman in the starting role with Hernangomez coming off the bench.

Then you find out. Does the guy put up or shut up? If he puts up, you might think about keeping him in 2020-21 and find a role for him. Or, you might improve his trade value to a team looking for a stretch-4/5 guy off the bench or to develop. The place you develop the value of your assets IS ON THE NBA COURT IN REAL NBA GAMES. If he shuts up, then you know he can't play. You try to dump his contract in some deal and failing that ( FAIL is the middle name of the Minnesota Timberwolves) you just put him back in Iowa, say no to his 2021 option and move on.
T_J

Post by T_J »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:06 pm
j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:10 am Omari has a usable skillset, I hope he gets a chance. High IQ, plays team ball, can shoot it, pass it... but not a huge help on defense.
He may, or he may not. The real stupidity is a team that is cruising to a winning percentage under 30% acquiring a former first round pick like Spellman with a "usable" skillset and then just banishing him. It might have been a different story if his contract was expiring at the end of the season. But GSW had picked up his 3rd year option so he had a guaranteed deal for 2020-21.

So, the correct thing to do was put him on the court. Give him minutes. With Golden St he average 18 minutes a game, 15.0 points and 8.9 rebounds/36 and shot 39.1% from 3. He is a career 36.6% 3 point shooter on 5.1 3-attempts/36 (those are better shooting percentages thatn Hernangomez) . I don't give a shit if he is "pouting". That guy goes on the court and you see if he can duplicate those results. I would even argue that you put Spellman in the starting role with Hernangomez coming off the bench.

Then you find out. Does the guy put up or shut up? If he puts up, you might think about keeping him in 2020-21 and find a role for him. Or, you might improve his trade value to a team looking for a stretch-4/5 guy off the bench or to develop. The place you develop the value of your assets IS ON THE NBA COURT IN REAL NBA GAMES. If he shuts up, then you know he can't play. You try to dump his contract in some deal and failing that ( FAIL is the middle name of the Minnesota Timberwolves) you just put him back in Iowa, say no to his 2021 option and move on.
Agreed.

Especially as they were deliberately tanking anyway.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

swenjj wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:37 pm Free agency signing day,I put 12 hours of work in,come and look online and see our pf position is still Vanderbilt and McDaniels.. hopefully Rosas has a trade in the works .looking at the leftovers here.
McDaniels is a 3. Not that the Wolves would know that.

Spellman is good and on the team. Not that the Wolves would know that.

PF is a position used in basketball. You know the rest.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:37 pm
What a joke. Good enough to trade, not good enough to be easily our best PF right now.

Anyone still want to laugh at me saying too tall about everyone?
j2j

Post by j2j »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:49 pm
j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:48 pm

Was the tweet deleted?
Yeah. Here it is again.

Yeah. I think given consistent minutes he could blow up.

j2j

Post by j2j »

100% agreed.

The only thing that could make sense is if he acted like a bitch towards Rosas after the trade, and Rosas just said fuck it, enjoy the G League. Obviously that would be poorly handled by everyone, but it's the only thing that makes sense.

Anything other than that is just shitty dealing by our front office.

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:29 pm

100% agreed.

The only thing that could make sense is if he acted like a bitch towards Rosas after the trade, and Rosas just said fuck it, enjoy the G League. Obviously that would be poorly handled by everyone, but it's the only thing that makes sense.

Golden St. put Jacobs and Spellman specifically to get under the luxury tax threshold. That is part of the business of the NBA.

And Spellman is a moron to be upset about being traded. He was traded from a team that he probably had zero future with once they stopped tanking, to a team he could have worked hard, got even more time on the court, and made himself a NBA future in which his next contract could have been 8 figures a year. Not saying he was going to, just that was the opportunity he threw away by pouting.

And even if he was a bitch to Rosas, you still put the guy on the court and see what you have.
j2j

Post by j2j »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:36 pm

100% agreed.

Golden St. put Jacobs and Spellman specifically to get under the luxury tax threshold. That is part of the business of the NBA.

And Spellman is a moron to be upset about being traded. He was traded from a team that he probably had zero future with once they stopped tanking, to a team he could have worked hard, got even more time on the court, and made himself a NBA future in which his next contract could have been 8 figures a year. Not saying he was going to, just that was the opportunity he threw away by pouting.

And even if he was a bitch to Rosas, you still put the guy on the court and see what you have.
100, especially with the shit show season we had.

Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Bates-Diop released by Nuggets.

Bring him back?

Not spectacular, but....?
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:10 pm Bates-Diop released by Nuggets.

Bring him back?

Not spectacular, but....?
He's alright. Probably wouldn't want much. There's a little something there with him. His consistency is lacking. But he may just need some PT. I like his skillset.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

100% agreed.

you know what? rosas is new kid on the block too. he doesn't have nearly the gravitas at this point to be offended enough to banish a pouty player who could help the team. if that's what's going on, then gersson seriously needs to grow up and be a big league GM.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
swenjj

Post by swenjj »

https://dunkingwithwolves.com/2020/11/2 ... r-forward/

Two options..John Collins would be nice.but not giving up Culver and a future first unless we know he signs here.

But a rubio-russell-edwards-collins-towns lineup would be fun to watch..with beasely and okogie still there as well.

Make the pick to the warriors worth a bit less
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

swenjj wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:21 pm https://dunkingwithwolves.com/2020/11/2 ... r-forward/

Two options..John Collins would be nice.but not giving up Culver and a future first unless we know he signs here.
And Collins isn’t a great fit with Towns. He’s not good defensively. So that would be two bad defensive bigs you’re paying big money to(future). And bigs greatest value in today’s NBA is their defensive ability, unless they’re elite offensive players like KAT, Jokic, or Embiid. Collins isn’t.
Last edited by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero on Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swenjj

Post by swenjj »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:18 pm

100% agreed.

you know what? rosas is new kid on the block too. he doesn't have nearly the gravitas at this point to be offended enough to banish a pouty player who could help the team. if that's what's going on, then gersson seriously needs to grow up and be a big league GM.
Wouldn't it be nice if we had local reporters that actually looked into things about the wolves and reported it?
swenjj

Post by swenjj »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:26 pm
swenjj wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:21 pm https://dunkingwithwolves.com/2020/11/2 ... r-forward/

And Collins isn’t a great fit with Towns. He’s not good defensively. So that would be two bad defensive bigs you’re paying big money to(future). And bigs greatest value in today’s NBA is their defensive ability, unless they’re elite offensive players like KAT, Jokic, or Embiid. Collins isn’t.
Well the Hawks also have okongwu..that would be great.but I think we will have what we have now. Maybe a trade towards the deadline but an awkward lineup to showcase anyone .and not a throw away year here either.no pick next year so we should try and win. Get something done now.
T_J

Post by T_J »

swenjj wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:27 pm

100% agreed.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had local reporters that actually looked into things about the wolves and reported it?
They were pretty busy last year writing 5000 words on the home visit Rosas had to eat Glen's wife's lasagna. That's what our local media has to offer.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

swenjj wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:27 pm

100% agreed.

exactly. lots of chatter about it among fans but apparently some taboo subject that local sports media can't dip their toes into. sucks.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
j2j

Post by j2j »

They're more worried about keeping their credentials than honest reporting.

LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I really want to have the Spellman situation covered. Anyone able to do some undercover reporting? We need that Mike guy who fooled TSpence.

If this guy can play AND there is a chance that this situation can be resolved, voila.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Does any local sports media jack each other off more than ours does by the way? Every time there is some story they all rally together on twitter to talk about how awesome it was and how that’s what journalists are for! It’s just hilarious. I’m just pissed today and absolutely taking it out on the media lol
T_J

Post by T_J »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:30 pm Does any local sports media jack each other off more than ours does by the way? Every time there is some story they all rally together on twitter to talk about how awesome it was and how that’s what journalists are for! It’s just hilarious. I’m just pissed today and absolutely taking it out on the media lol
I doubt it. Our local guys are all a joke. Every move is a good one.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

if you haven't already, read jace's glowing feature today about edwards. pi press. and yes, one of the main takeaways is that he has .... wait for it.... a really great smile.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

LordNu wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:24 pm I really want to have the Spellman situation covered. Anyone able to do some undercover reporting? We need that Mike guy who fooled TSpence.

If this guy can play AND there is a chance that this situation can be resolved, voila.
He gone!
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Sid Hartman wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:15 pm
LordNu wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:24 pm I really want to have the Spellman situation covered. Anyone able to do some undercover reporting? We need that Mike guy who fooled TSpence.

He gone!
You see what happens when you press the issue?
j2j

Post by j2j »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:12 pm if you haven't already, read jace's glowing feature today about edwards. pi press. and yes, one of the main takeaways is that he has .... wait for it.... a really great smile.
Cant make it up!

T_J

Post by T_J »

Gasol to the Lakers.