Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Rosas Panic Thread...Kahn?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
mlhouse

Re: Rosas Panic Thread...Kahn?

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:35 pm
YBBR wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:32 pm The 25 and 33 for 23 for a Euro stash is the one I don't get. The Rubio move is a good move. What did we give up? Not a damn thing really. And we got a good player for moving back 8 spots and picking up another pick? I do that shit all the time.

Obviously they tried to move salary and picks and Culver for a star, zero takers. At least got someone who makes the team better.
Honestly, if it were just 17 for 25 and 28 straight up, I might do it. Throw in Ricky and it's a no-brainer. Sure, he's expensive, but that's Taylor's problem and not mine. What FA were we going to get with that money? And if we want to move him, he'll be movable. He can play and $17M isn't that much by modern NBA standards.
What does the fact that OKC threw Ricky Rubio into that trade reveal about his actual trade value?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

13 PPG
8.8 AST
4.7 REB
1.4 STL
36.1 3PT%

I don't know looks like he's coming off probably his best year in the league.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:42 pm
YBBR wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:32 pm The 25 and 33 for 23 for a Euro stash is the one I don't get. The Rubio move is a good move. What did we give up? Not a damn thing really. And we got a good player for moving back 8 spots and picking up another pick? I do that shit all the time.

Obviously they tried to move salary and picks and Culver for a star, zero takers. At least got someone who makes the team better.
Honestly, if it were just 17 for 25 and 28 straight up, I might do it. Throw in Ricky and it's a no-brainer. Sure, he's expensive, but that's Taylor's problem and not mine. What FA were we going to get with that money? And if we want to move him, he'll be movable. He can play and $17M isn't that much by modern NBA standards.
What does the fact that OKC threw Ricky Rubio into that trade reveal about his actual trade value?
17 for 25 and 28 is moderately questionable, having to take on his contract makes the deal much worse.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

YBBR wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:45 pm 13 PPG
8.8 AST
4.7 REB
1.4 STL
36.1 3PT%

Yet he has been dumped twice within a week.
boo

Post by boo »

Jesus, you mfers could frown at a cupcake. Did you expect Kd and lebron?
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:52 pm
8.8 AST
4.7 REB
1.4 STL
36.1 3PT%

As an alternative to Hall of Famer Chris Paul and soon to be all-star Shai Gilgeous Alexander. And he's going to be coming off our bench most likely at a position of needed depth. I'm not sure I get the hate other than you don't like the number.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
sh1mmyya

Post by sh1mmyya »

Idk, I actually really liked this draft.
Formally known as Pooperscooper
Never forget page 116
Rip Flip
boxter432

Post by boxter432 »

8.8 AST
4.7 REB
1.4 STL
36.1 3PT%

First “dump” was for a hall of famer at his position but ok.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

boxter432 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:58 pm
8.8 AST
4.7 REB
1.4 STL
36.1 3PT%

Salary matching throw in they had no desire to keep and threw into a trade with Minnesota. Claiming otherwise is idiotic.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:55 pm
morneaumvp wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:50 pm
T_J wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:20 pm Does this guy have a clue what he's doing? I gave him a shot much like I did Kahn, but seems like he's throwing shit all over the place or he's running a Sam Hinke scam without announcing the Process publicly.

This 2020-2021 Wolves team is a dumpster. I don't see any direction here unless they're banking on Towns and Russell both becoming all stars and winning players which there's very little evidence of.

Adding Ricky back screams of a Glen Taylor play....can he sell already for the love of God?

Vent session over. Feel free to pile on or disagree. I just see a 27 win team again.
As good as he is a wheeler dealer he seems to be a terrible drafter.

I was hoping all night that a big trade was coming with all our assets.. but nothin..
It seems to me that he "wheels and deals" just for the sake of it. I see zero plan. Zero team concept. Zero scheme concept. Zero developmental concept. The Wolves have exactly one future asset, the most favorable of Denver or Philadelphia's 2022 2nd round picks, and have traded away their first and second round picks next season (if the Wolves end up with that pick protected it will demonstrate all the futility).
I mean lets give him credit, he got rid of that POS Wiggins and turned the rest of that shitty roster nicely last season. But Culver has been trash, and I don't have confidence in his drafting because of it. And now suddenly Rubio is back, most likely a Ryan Saunders wish.. The offseason now looks a bit of a big nothing.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

boxter432 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:58 pm
8.8 AST
4.7 REB
1.4 STL
36.1 3PT%

2nd dump, he was a salary dump for OKC AND we gave up the best asset in the deal to have the privilege of dealing with a real pro GM.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

morneaumvp wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:01 am

I mean lets give him credit, he got rid of that POS Wiggins and turned the rest of that shitty roster nicely last season. But Culver has been trash, and I don't have confidence in his drafting because of it. And now suddenly Rubio is back, most likely a Ryan Saunders wish.. The offseason now looks a bit of a big nothing.
And that got us where? We gave up our 2021 first round (and 2nd for that matter). Other than Russell, did we add a player in any of those string of trades that is a long term player for us? I thought maybe Malik Beasley, but not sure if that is a long term player now.

Lets face it, so far Rossas is following Kahn's path. Everything they touched turned to shit. I hope that Anthony Edwards busts that trend.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

This was a good night for me. Got hitched, had dinner, drank some solid brews, celebrated back home, sped through the draft replay, rubbed one out to the Ricky news...

I think I still need another minute.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

SHAFA wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:04 am This was a good night for me. Got hitched, had dinner, drank some solid brews, celebrated back home, sped through the draft replay, rubbed one out to the Ricky news...

Mazel Tov! :beer:
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:42 pm

It tells me that they are dumping salaries and accumulating young talent.

Would you trade 17 for 25 and 28 straight up? Give up 8 spots for a late pick? That's fair value. Rubio wouldn't net a haul, but neither would we have to attach a 1 to him to unload him.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SHAFA wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:04 am This was a good night for me. Got hitched, had dinner, drank some solid brews, celebrated back home, sped through the draft replay, rubbed one out to the Ricky news...

Congratulations. I assume you mean you got married when you state "hitched" but then you rubbed one out thinking about Ricky Rubio's cute foreign smile?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:07 am

It tells me that they are dumping salaries and accumulating young talent.

Would you trade 17 for 25 and 28 straight up? Give up 8 spots for a late pick? That's fair value. Rubio wouldn't net a haul, but neither would we have to attach a 1 to him to unload him.
Perhaps I would, but in this draft the value and fit was there at 17 to draft a player that could have potential to help us out in the rotation as a rookie. And we still had the 33rd pick to add a swing for the fences pick or perhaps a backup PG candidate.

I think if I am doing the draft I take Bey or Precious at 17 and then, perhaps a reach, Cassius Winston at 33. I think that you could roll with Winston as your 10-12 minute a game backup PG. Smart, heady player that can shoot the ball and run an offense. Probably not a good enough athlete to be more than a backup PG because he would struggle on D, but remember as a backup he is going to be matched against a backup guy himself.

I probably see what veteran PG I can sign in free agency. But this is a better concept than a $17 million guy that needs the ball in his hands, cannot shoot, and has zero fit with the rest of the team.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

Congrats bro :beer:
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Pretty sure we had to send JJ to OKC in the trade. We dont have the cap to absorb without.

Can only assume it is not official official(or why we haven't seen confirmation of what we ate sending salary wise) to give OKC a day to see if he can work a 3rd team in.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

mglviks wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:56 am Pretty sure we had to send JJ to OKC in the trade. We dont have the cap to absorb without.

Can only assume it is not official official(or why we haven't seen confirmation of what we ate sending salary wise) to give OKC a day to see if he can work a 3rd team in.
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/ ... rubio-deal

The Wolves sent JJ out in the deal.

Can see the pieces in the deal, but I don’t have the subscription for the rest of the article. Anybody that does and is willing to post - it would be appreciated.
Ooogabooga

Post by Ooogabooga »

He continues on his positionless streak. Picking players up who can switch on defense. Rubio is strange. Like him but he doesn't really fit. I am kinda guessing this is more for next year since he has 2 years on his contract so he will be an expiring next year so if need be we can facilitate a trade with another team later this year or next year to clear cap space for a better player or flip him for more picks from another team trying to get salary freed up for 21-22 free agency but that is just spitballing possible ideas. I am assuming James Johnson was in the trade so we are really just punting a contract to include in a trade at a later time type thing. Unless he isn't which I don't think works with the cba.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

If they don't resign Beasley I don't see them being much better than last year.

They will probably be more fun to watch... But did this team get considerably better than they were a year ago?
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Shocker, worst draft class in years and nobody wants to trade a star player for your picks. Waaaaah! Its all Rosas fault.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

The Cleveland Browns of the NBA.

Fuck an a.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Well Rosas has spent #6 and #1 on two SGs in back to back years.

Kahn used to do that in one night.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
T_J

Post by T_J »

This is more of side issue of bringing Rubio back. After two seasons or during, you really trading him again? That looks like shit. So now you're locked into another deal with him unless we just DGAF about player feelings, when we clearly do having foolishly brought him back in the first place.

I'd rather have drafted at 17 and kept JJ who actually fills a spot on the court that is currently empty.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

If anything I feel like Rosas ambitions are too high. He's trying to make all these moves to set up a huge move and when one link in the chain breaks, so does his ultimate plan.

Kahn thought he was playing 4D chess in his own mind, but he was playing tiddlywinks.
T_J

Post by T_J »

This deserves a bump. I’m not going out and saying RHJ was some future starter, but if you’re cutting a guy your coach just commented as having defensive accountability and the rest of your team has virtually zero...it screams of a disconnect.

Rosas at this point is at a Kahn level of failure until he proves otherwise. That pick we have a good shot of losing next year is going to hurt like hell. Glad we have two all stars on max deals though...oh wait...only half of that is right.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

at this point, i'm almost thinking that glen could do better.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

T_J wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:55 am This is more of side issue of bringing Rubio back. After two seasons or during, you really trading him again? That looks like shit. So now you're locked into another deal with him unless we just DGAF about player feelings, when we clearly do having foolishly brought him back in the first place.

I'd rather have drafted at 17 and kept JJ who actually fills a spot on the court that is currently empty.
i think achiuwa went 17 and 15 last night. and don't tell me "it's just preseason". if people can get excited about AE going for 17 the other night, it's okay to also note that achiuwa did too - along with 15 boards.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.