Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official Anthony Edwards Chat ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
D_H

Re: *** Official Anthony Edwards Chat ***

Post by D_H »

witljon wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:33 pm
D_H wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:09 pm Don’t get me wrong I like Edwards he just needs to get a little smarter with the shot selection / which will come!
Don’t get me wrong, I like Halliburton, but like Edwards star potential better. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Both will be good NBA players for a decade plus
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

D_H wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:09 pm
witljon wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:07 pm
D_H wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:56 pm

No question

If I could take one of them on the 76ers it would be Halliburton for sure

Not a slam on Edwards he’ll be a serviceable NBA player I just like guys that play both ends of the four
I think Edwards has a higher ceiling than Halliburton.
So, do you feel Halliburton’s potential is better?
On both ends of the floor And contributing to an elite team Eventually - yes. I don’t believe guys that only play one side the ball will ever win at a high-level in the NBA - I think that’s been proven over the years.

Don’t get me wrong I like Edwards he just needs to get a little smarter with the shot selection / which will come!
I still take Edwards. He can learn how to get better on D. But he has that kind of killer swag that most 19 year old do not.
Plus, Hali didn't look like anything special against the Wolves.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:01 pm
witljon wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:07 pm I think Edwards has a higher ceiling than Halliburton.
So, do you feel Halliburton’s potential is better?
On both ends of the floor And contributing to an elite team Eventually - yes. I don’t believe guys that only play one side the ball will ever win at a high-level in the NBA - I think that’s been proven over the years.

Don’t get me wrong I like Edwards he just needs to get a little smarter with the shot selection / which will come!
I still take Edwards. He can learn how to get better on D. But he has that kind of killer swag that most 19 year old do not.
We’ll have to agree to disagree. :beer: I believe Ant is the lowest Rated defender in the NBA right now - that’s just not winning basketball especially when you have Anthony towns & D’Angelo Russell as teammates. That’s basically three of the worst defenders at their position in the NBA. Without exception - good teams play defense at a high-level.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

D_H wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:04 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:01 pm

We’ll have to agree to disagree. :beer: I believe Ant is the lowest Rated defender in the NBA right now - that’s just not winning basketball especially when you have Anthony towns & D’Angelo Russell as teammates. That’s basically three of the worst defenders at their position in the NBA. Without exception - good teams play defense at a high-level.
I don't really use stats as a tool, but from the little I have seen from Hali, he doesn't look dominant at all on D, and his +/- ratio looks bad.
I don't mind the disagreement, but I think we got the better of the two players.
But....considering how far Hali fell in the draft, Sacto got a good player that late. So, there's that.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:13 pm
D_H wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:04 pm
Mplsfonz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:01 pm I still take Edwards. He can learn how to get better on D. But he has that kind of killer swag that most 19 year old do not.
I don't really use stats as a tool, but from the little I have seen from Hali, he doesn't look dominant at all on D, and his +/- ratio looks bad.
I don't mind the disagreement, but I think we got the better of the two players.
But....considering how far Hali fell in the draft, Sacto got a good player that late. So, there's that.
I believe Halliburton is number one in rookie rankings so the people that look at that kind of stuff, and NBA coaches understand his value. I don’t expect most fans to get it -They only watch their favorite team play and obviously have built-in bias. Ben Simmons never gets voted to the All-Star team by the fans but the coaches that understand the game put him in the All-Star game every year. 50% the game is played on the defensive end of the court.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

swenjj

Post by swenjj »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:15 pm
It's like they don't understand that they are the worst team in the league.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Joboo

Post by Joboo »

It’s pretty clear I love ANT but there are 9 points that he didn’t defend or closeout on last night that had me screaming at the TV. He wasn’t the only reason we lost but he has to do a better job on defense.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I really, really, really hate the cliche, but are a lot of these guys too young to understand how to win? Most of them have never experience how to win at the pro level. Don't most of the good teams have vets that have already taken their hits in the league and get it now?
T_J

Post by T_J »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:56 pm I really, really, really hate the cliche, but are a lot of these guys too young to understand how to win? Most of them have never experience how to win at the pro level. Don't most of the good teams have vets that have already taken their hits in the league and get it now?
Towns and Russell are basically veterans at this point given they've been in the league 6 years.

I'm making this up, but Russell Westbrook makes like $40m next year. Trade DLo, Culver, and Hermangomez there for Russ. He has a player option the following year for $45m or something, but at least then you got a guy who brings it every fucking night. I'm sure people hate his play style and all that, but he at least always plays hard.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm going to defend Ant here. lots of bad juju on this board about his D - and it obviously has to improve. and he gave up a bunch of points in the fourth quarter. but.... you know what else he did, that KAT and Dlo didn't? he put the team on his back and got us back into the game.

we were down by 18 a minute into the fourth quarter. at the 10:58 mark, AE hit a three. then, in the next minute and 52 seconds, he scored another 8 points - getting to the rim on layup after layup, almost at will. 11 points in a 1:52 span - no other player on either team scored a point during that stretch. and after that blast of his, we were down by 7 and back in the game. you think maybe the kid was a little gassed? maybe? that maybe had a little to do with subsequent missed assignments on D and slow close outs? finch probably would have done better at that point to pull AE and get a fresher defender in there. give the rookie some time to catch his breath and then get him back in the game for the final 4 or 5 minutes. KAT didn't lead that charge. Dlo didn't. it was AE that got us back within reasonable striking distance.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

As harsh as a critic I am about Anthony Edwards defense, you can’t give up on him. He’s too talented offensive wise. You have to take the bad with the good.

I was wrong and gave up on Lolvine too early. He was a horrible on ball and off ball defender on the Wolves, worst on the team. Thibs benched him multiple times as well for defensive lapses but he worked hard as hell and became an all star this year.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Of course the guy who sits there and shits on Edwards defense clamors over a guy who’s nearly as bad but, hey, he just made an All Star team, so...
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:50 pm As harsh as a critic I am about Anthony Edwards defense, you can’t give up on him. He’s too talented offensive wise. You have to take the bad with the good.

I was wrong and gave up on Lolvine too early. He was a horrible on ball and off ball defender on the Wolves, worst on the team. Thibs benched him multiple times as well for defensive lapses but he worked hard as hell and became an all star this year.
You can’t give up on a 19 year-old phenom with some flaws halfway through his rookie year?

Thanks for the wisdom, Aristotle...
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:22 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:50 pm As harsh as a critic I am about Anthony Edwards defense, you can’t give up on him. He’s too talented offensive wise. You have to take the bad with the good.

You can’t give up on a 19 year-old phenom with some flaws halfway through his rookie year?

Thanks for the wisdom, Aristotle...
Edwards didn't even win MVP of the rising stars game.

What a loser.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Last 21 games:

23.8 ppg
5.4 rpg
2.9 apg
1.6 spg

:naners:
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:45 am Last 21 games:

23.8 ppg
5.4 rpg
2.9 apg
1.6 spg

We probably shouldn’t give up on him.

- Isaac Asimov
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Ant's field goal percentage is finally up to 40% on the year. :naners:
witljon

Post by witljon »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:00 am

23.8 ppg
5.4 rpg
2.9 apg
1.6 spg

Now I’m not giving up on Edwards and most definitely wanted
him over Ball and Wiseman. But what if bad luck strikes us
in the lottery and we lose our pick to the Warriors.
Would you trade Edwards for Cade Cunningham? I think I would.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

witljon wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:34 pm

23.8 ppg
5.4 rpg
2.9 apg
1.6 spg

No. We actually hit on two of our top three 1st picks, why do we want to get greedy and try to flip one? Further, why would GS do that? Doesn't matter the position, they need cheap talent to replace their dynasty. If they think Ant is that, we clearly should keep him.
witljon

Post by witljon »

digitalwolf wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:02 pm

No. We actually hit on two of our top three 1st picks, why do we want to get greedy and try to flip one? Further, why would GS do that? Doesn't matter the position, they need cheap talent to replace their dynasty. If they think Ant is that, we clearly should keep him.
The trade would be with the team that won the lottery.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

I understand that, but we're flipping a proven thing and growing for a chance to be as good, hopefully better. I don't see the upside in that, further, if GS is so convinced Ant is the guy they want to take over GS, why in the hell would we move him. They have rings, we do not.

On a side note, Wiseman looks like his knee is toast for the year. Ant just looks better every god damn week!
T_J

Post by T_J »

Zach Lowe said on his podcast that there could be a glimmer of hope for Wolves fans and he’s enjoying the Towns/Edwards pairing which could develop into something. (Paraphrasing)
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

23.8 ppg
5.4 rpg
2.9 apg
1.6 spg

No

- Isaac Asimov
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

digitalwolf wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:13 pm I understand that, but we're flipping a proven thing and growing for a chance to be as good, hopefully better. I don't see the upside in that, further, if GS is so convinced Ant is the guy they want to take over GS, why in the hell would we move him. They have rings, we do not.

On a side note, Wiseman looks like his knee is toast for the year. Ant just looks better every god damn week!
OTOH, let's hope the ball/wiseman injuries aren't just a 3-2-1 thing going on with the top three picks. and we're next in the queue!
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:00 am
digitalwolf wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:13 pm I understand that, but we're flipping a proven thing and growing for a chance to be as good, hopefully better. I don't see the upside in that, further, if GS is so convinced Ant is the guy they want to take over GS, why in the hell would we move him. They have rings, we do not.

OTOH, let's hope the ball/wiseman injuries aren't just a 3-2-1 thing going on with the top three picks. and we're next in the queue!
Injuries are going to happen, they've crushed us, they've killed other teams, it is what it is. Any is built better than anyone in the draft IMO, and certainly more stout than Ball and Wiseman, but a quick twitch can fuck anyone....see....KD, Klay.....the list is miles long. Ant has that KG vibe, like he's just built to endure. He's not even gotten his old man strength yet....I just really can't imagine what he's doing in year three and four, fuck, next year. KAT was a good first pick...he's productive, he's very good. Wiggins wasn't ours, but he was alright all things given. Ant just has so much more potential in a perimeter league more than either of our "top" overall picks. And it's one thing to have potential, but he oozes it a lot at 19. Both he and McDaniels have been just amazing. In terms of overall draft class, not that we have a great track record, last years draft was the best collection we've hit on. I know people love Bey and the idea of moving said pick to get Rubio which turned into Jaden don't exactly agree, but we've absolutely landed two starting NBA players in last years draft. One is a scoring monster and the other can guard most people outside of Kyrie and bigger elites like Jokic and Embiid. I just don't want to trade those pieces because, one, I think they are legit. And two, if a team like GS who has built and sustained a dynasty wants said pieces, clearly they are very good. Ant and Jadens floor look already proven to me, and impossible to move unless it's just a dumb offer by someone else.