Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Official Anthony Edwards Chat ***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Beef Supreme

Re: *** Official Anthony Edwards Chat ***

Post by Beef Supreme »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:55 pm Edwards is also an extremely good slasher/cutter, finisher and a nightmare in transition (combine that with his 3/4 sprint in the 100th percentile). Gonna see some amazing drives resulting in nasty dunks from him.

Has a ton of question marks but he comes in as one of the best athletes in the NBA with skills that will compliment that very well.

I'm all in on Edwards now. You can't teach that athleticism and seeing his personality in interviews and whatnot...he is not Wiggins.
Wiggins was a great athlete, but he didn’t have the kind of power that Edwards has.

I need to see this kid on the court with nba players before I’m sold. There are some shot selection/BBIQ and focus/intensity questions that need answering. But he looks like a young man physically. Wiggins was a skinny pup. Still is.

But let’s not get it twisted. Wiggins was regarded as a better prospect than Edwards. So Edwards has a ton to prove.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

irishman89 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:46 pm Everybody with a internet connection and a camera thinks that they are some kind of media sensation these days. We need more Sid Hartmans and less Tik Tok morons.
Did you not hear Sid's questions for the last 20 or so years they were Bernieing him?

Thank you for your question about George Mikan.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:01 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:55 pm Edwards is also an extremely good slasher/cutter, finisher and a nightmare in transition (combine that with his 3/4 sprint in the 100th percentile). Gonna see some amazing drives resulting in nasty dunks from him.

Has a ton of question marks but he comes in as one of the best athletes in the NBA with skills that will compliment that very well.

I'm all in on Edwards now. You can't teach that athleticism and seeing his personality in interviews and whatnot...he is not Wiggins.
Wiggins was a great athlete, but he didn’t have the kind of power that Edwards has.

I need to see this kid on the court with nba players before I’m sold. There are some shot selection/BBIQ and focus/intensity questions that need answering. But he looks like a young man physically. Wiggins was a skinny pup. Still is.

But let’s not get it twisted. Wiggins was regarded as a better prospect than Edwards. So Edwards has a ton to prove.
Wiggins was still living a lot based off of high school hype (greatest prospect since LeBron!). You are right though, Wiggins was regarded better. My comment about Wiggins was comparing their personalities and how they carry themselves. I have more faith that Edwards will learn to be way more engaged then Wiggins ever was.

As far as athletes go, Edwards > Wiggins. The only thing Wiggins has on Edwards as an athlete is vertical jump. Edwards has like 40 pounds on Wiggins and is just as quick/fast, if not more, then Wiggins.

Tons of valid negatives like you listed which is why he is a big question mark. But the more I watch and read about the guy the more I love his potential.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I like when I read that the dude had fastest time running the court.

KAT should go watch old videos of Kevin Love throwing full court passes to Corey Brewer.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:17 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:01 pm

Wiggins was still living a lot based off of high school hype (greatest prospect since LeBron!). You are right though, Wiggins was regarded better. My comment about Wiggins was comparing their personalities and how they carry themselves. I have more faith that Edwards will learn to be way more engaged then Wiggins ever was.

As far as athletes go, Edwards > Wiggins. The only thing Wiggins has on Edwards as an athlete is vertical jump. Edwards has like 40 pounds on Wiggins and is just as quick/fast, if not more, then Wiggins.

Tons of valid negatives like you listed which is why he is a big question mark. But the more I watch and read about the guy the more I love his potential.
How can you not love his potential?

He’s got a lot to prove. He showed what he can do in Georgia, but it didn’t translate to wins and he played careless, selfish basketball a lot of the time. I can forgive that. Georgia isn’t a prime program and doesn’t have a marquee coach. I can forgive a 17 year-old for wanting to stay close to home, especially given what his family has been through.

But he’s got a lot to learn about playing winning basketball. I have decision-making concerns about him. Again, that’s not unforgivable in a 19 year-old. But it’s a thing that’s got to be evaluated and overcome if it’s there in the nba.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
swenjj

Post by swenjj »

I hope they allow fans this year.. I don't get to go to very many games,usually either listen as I work or sometimes can watch TV.but pretty excited to see him play. he has some crazy athletic ability.and at his size ,damn . Wiggins is athletic but not strong enough to get through people.edwards is a tank
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

swenjj wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:51 pm I hope they allow fans this year.. I don't get to go to very many games,usually either listen as I work or sometimes can watch TV.but pretty excited to see him play. he has some crazy athletic ability.and at his size ,damn . Wiggins is athletic but not strong enough to get through people.edwards is a tank
Comparing people’s attitudes always makes me uneasy. I don’t love the Edwards pick, but to just say he’s the next Wiggins because supposedly he’s laid back and not obsessed about basketball at 18 years old is kind of lazy. The kid has been through some shit that would make me feel awful and came through at 14 strong and made his dream come true. Says something right there.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Why the hell is it always with the Wigs comps? They are nothing alike.

And for god's sake the utter lack of memory on 90% of you is bizarre. That damn Wigs. It's like the guaranteed next Jordan came over to your house, kicked your puppy and mom, then smoked some weed and sat down at half court during the game. How dare he not average 35 a game! As the clear cut best prospect since Lebron!

Except he was not the clear number 1 pick the year he came out. Different draft team order he goes 3rd. And his comps were young McGrady. Not the one who scored, the one who defended. Go look up his writeups. If he can average 18 a game he will be good because of his D. That is what people thought of him. In rubes fans minds we traded the 2nd best player ever in Kevin Love who loved it here and was ready to sign a 50 year extension, for the 1st best player ever who immediately flipped us all off and stopped trying.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:04 pm Why the hell is it always with the Wigs comps? They are nothing alike.

And for god's sake the utter lack of memory on 90% of you is bizarre. That damn Wigs. It's like the guaranteed next Jordan came over to your house, kicked your puppy and mom, then smoked some weed and sat down at half court during the game. How dare he not average 35 a game! As the clear cut best prospect since Lebron!

Except he was not the clear number 1 pick the year he came out. Different draft team order he goes 3rd. And his comps were young McGrady. Not the one who scored, the one who defended. Go look up his writeups. If he can average 18 a game he will be good because of his D. That is what people thought of him. In rubes fans minds we traded the 2nd best player ever in Kevin Love who loved it here and was ready to sign a 50 year extension, for the 1st best player ever who immediately flipped us all off and stopped trying.
You clearly have no clue about how he was talked about coming out of high school
https://www.google.com/amp/s/coupler.f ... 9522384b1

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/ ... s.amp.html

http://m.digitaljournal.com/article/347174

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basket ... nalds-game

The hype about him was astronomical in high school which helped him stay at being picked #1 despite his lone season in college not being worthy of the #1 pick.

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:41 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:04 pm Why the hell is it always with the Wigs comps? They are nothing alike.

You clearly have no clue about how he was talked about coming out of high school

The hype about him was astronomical in high school which helped him stay at being picked #1 despite his lone season in college not being worthy of the #1 pick.
Does it really surprise you flex that he’s just making shit up? :lol:
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Oh so I see you actually acknowledge that he played in college. What was his projection in preschool? Good pooper? How could good pooper become such a middling defender. You clearly have no clue how he was viewed in preschool. Good pooper.

No clue.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

:D
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:44 pm

Does it really surprise you flex that he’s just making shit up? :lol:
Not at all. I'm expecting a mini meltdown where he will use gleefully use the terms "f*g" or any variation of the "r word".

Edit: I see he restrained himself quite a bit which was surprising but unsurprisingly he decided to ignore facts

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:41 pm Great answer! :clap: :clap:

Wow, that was highly impressive. It's that sort of stuff that really imbibes me with confidence and hope for the kid. Very mature. He is ingratiating himself with the fanbase to LaVine levels already.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

LordNu wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:43 pm

Wow, that was highly impressive. It's that sort of stuff that really imbibes me with confidence and hope for the kid. Very mature. He is ingratiating himself with the fanbase to LaVine levels already.
Yeah....this guy may be a lot of things, but Wiggins couldn't give that answer if you showed him lines and gave him ten tries. Who knows what happens, but I'm very happy they went with him over Ball.
Style

Post by Style »

Good sign that flex is on board with Edwards. Elite froob!
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I think this season is going to be fun. Will we make the NBA Championship, yeah... no.

But we are going to be in the running for the back end playoff spots. I am sure of that.

The one thing I am looking forward to, the first time Edwards goes up and dunks on someone with KAT on the court. One of my all time favorite reactions was when KG dunked on Griffin and KAT was going crazy running back up the court.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

For once I'd like our lottery pick to turn out better than projected. Don't think that's happened since KG. Come on Edwards, be that guy.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

kilkenny wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:03 am For once I'd like our lottery pick to turn out better than projected. Don't think that's happened since KG. Come on Edwards, be that guy.
Same here, part of drafting in luck... but we never get lucky. We never get a Giannis with our 12th pick...

I think part of the problem is you have to take chances with your picks to hit on someone like Giannis. Timberwolves always try to take the safe pick.

Initially I was not a fan of Edwards. I didn't like his shooting percentages. However, I have convinced myself that his poor shooting in college was him trying to do too much. Taking bad shots will drive your stats down fast. I am hoping between him having other quality players on the court with him and Rubio/Dlo feeding him the ball... he is going to flourish.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:09 am
kilkenny wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:03 am For once I'd like our lottery pick to turn out better than projected. Don't think that's happened since KG. Come on Edwards, be that guy.
Same here, part of drafting in luck... but we never get lucky. We never get a Giannis with our 12th pick...

I think part of the problem is you have to take chances with your picks to hit on someone like Giannis. Timberwolves always try to take the safe pick.

Initially I was not a fan of Edwards. I didn't like his shooting percentages. However, I have convinced myself that his poor shooting in college was him trying to do too much. Taking bad shots will drive your stats down fast. I am hoping between him having other quality players on the court with him and Rubio/Dlo feeding him the ball... he is going to flourish.
I'm semi convincing myself he'll grow to be a PF. Could you imagine him as a PF, with that body and athleticism?
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

LordNu wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:43 pm

I don’t care if he is black, brown, white, or purple. If he can play, I’ll love him.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

I almost totally agree with you. I have said it several times, if Wiggins isn't traded and gets to develop his career as the #3 offensive option on a LeBron-Kyrie team he becomes a real solid NBA player. He develops his defensive game to his upside level and does other athletic things like run the court on a winning team with proven leaders. But instead he is traded to a losing team were he needs to be basketball saviour. That just was part of his DNA.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:22 pm
I love this. Normally I would be like, hey Rookie.. be careful. However, I think Anthony Edwards can step up to the challenge.

I sense that Anthony Edwards doesn't care what anyone thinks... and I actually hope we open the season with Portland so he can dunk on McCollums head.

By the way, when are we going to see poorly filmed video clips of Anthony Edwards working out with other Timberwolves?
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:15 am
Stick him to Josh Okogie... put his locker next to Okogies.... sit them together on the bus... on the plane, when they take a trip to the zoo.... When Josh is banging his girlfriend, let Anthony have a go as well.

See if Joshes willingness to defend will rub off on him.

Anthony Edwards could be an elite defender... but he has to want to be an elite defender.
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

I can't tell if I'm just drinking the kool-aid or not. Because as of now, I'm all in. I definitely think he has a better chance to be special than Wiggins.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

This is exactly what we need. Who's next, Butler, Lebron?

How can we get a player from every team to do this.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Sounds like Edwards signed his rookie contract or at least agreed to terms.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

This is all he said when asked about aspiring to rap, "like Damian Lillard?"
“But I really can rap,” he says. “Dame, talking about — I don’t know what he’s talking about. I’m rapping like Lil Baby.”
Man, it doesn't take these dudes much. And, honestly, I think he's right about Dame. He's a much better basketball player than he is a rapper.
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »