Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Ricky Rubio

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Do you want Ricky Rubio Back?

Yes, he is and always will be a Wolf
69%
No, that ship has sailed long ago
31%

Total votes: 51

Style

Re: Ricky Rubio

Post by Style »

I think the bolts of lightning would also lead to foul trouble.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Not a dig at anyone but a legit question.

Is 6'4" still considered undersized for a SG?

I think back in the day, 6'4" meant the player was 6'2". Nowadays they seemed to have cleaned some of that exaggeration up.

I think 6'4" for a SG is pretty standard now. Especially if they have some build to them.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:54 am Not a dig at anyone but a legit question.

Is 6'4" still considered undersized for a SG?

I think back in the day, 6'4" meant the player was 6'2". Nowadays they seemed to have cleaned some of that exaggeration up.

I think 6'4" for a SG is pretty standard now. Especially if they have some build to them.
6'4 225 is fine, the concern I had was more to do with the surrounding context of who else was on the team and the fact that he doesn't have much of a natural aptitude for defense, which is our biggest weakness. We essentially have 4 players vying for 2 starter positions right now, all of which could justify being a starter, assuming Anthony Edwards does fine. Out of those four players, I wouldn't be comfortable giving any of them extended minutes at small forward. If he's truly grown to be 6'6 though then maybe he can play some SF, I guess we'll see.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Getting rid of Rubio was always about appeasing Butt, for better or for worse.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Not sure 6'4" was ever considered undersized. It only is if you compare every SG to Michael or Kobe.

Wade - 6'4"
Oladipo - 6'4"
Beal - 6'3"
McCollum - 6'3"

Edwards and Beasley are plenty big
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think two things happened. for awhile, the nba did start to get infatuated with bigger 2s - so 6-3 and 6-4 did start to look a little short. SGs started to get a little bigger. but then with that, i think teams and players starting inflating their measurements. guys listed at 6-5 were really 6-4, that sort of thing. with this new nba move to standardize measurements from team to team, it's becoming clear that 6-4, 6-3 isn't that unusual for the 2.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Better than when the Wolves use to start Luke ridnour at the 2.

Those were tough days
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:37 pm Better than when the Wolves use to start Luke ridnour at the 2.

Those were tough days
Watching him guard Kobe was hilarious though.

“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:24 am Getting rid of Rubio was always about appeasing Butt, for better or for worse.
Rubio asked for the trade. When we found that out, it hurt.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

LordNu wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:32 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:24 am Getting rid of Rubio was always about appeasing Butt, for better or for worse.
Did he? I guess I missed that story.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:43 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:37 pm Better than when the Wolves use to start Luke ridnour at the 2.

Those were tough days
Watching him guard Kobe was hilarious though.

The white guy lineup!
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:19 pm
Yeah, one of the beat writers mentioned it a few months after (or maybe longer). It didn't get much attention, but it was obviously a fairly significant piece of information. I don't blame him either, he was treated poorly during a really rough period of his life. It was probably the right decision, and we benefit from having a grown up Rubio rejoin us.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Those were tough days
I was in the building when he hit that floater over the jazz, though.

That was a lot of fun. It was actually a really boring, poorly-played game with a momorable finish!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

LordNu wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:01 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:19 pm

Yeah, one of the beat writers mentioned it a few months after (or maybe longer). It didn't get much attention, but it was obviously a fairly significant piece of information. I don't blame him either, he was treated poorly during a really rough period of his life. It was probably the right decision, and we benefit from having a grown up Rubio rejoin us.
He was treated pretty poorly. Basically the center of trade rumors for like 3 years straight. I just always figured Butt, and Thibs to a degree were what eventually drove him out.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Style wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:15 am I think the bolts of lightning would also lead to foul trouble.
Hes got brain control too so the refs won't call it.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

memyworld

Post by memyworld »

RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Lol. We were sure great the first time he was here.

All this praise but this guy has been passed around all over the league the last few years. What is it, his 4th team in a matter of a few years?

It wasn't just Thibs. There were rumors Flip was trying to deal him and Mitchell wasn't high on him either.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:56 pm Lol. We were sure great the first time he was here.

All this praise but this guy has been passed around all over the league the last few years. What is it, his 4th team in a matter of a few years?

It wasn't just Thibs. There were rumors Flip was trying to deal him and Mitchell wasn't high on him either.
Everyone tried to trade him but he's the most wanted player ever. Booker absolutely loves him and they would do whatever he asked to keep him happy so..................trade Rubio and he's fine. Oh, and the idiot who wants him back values only 3 point shooting and is paying him 17 mil to back up a max player.

That so many here don't see the Trump level 3rd grade smoke blown at them just shows how fucking stupid this country is now. Don't wear those masks. Get out there and protest that rigged election. Okogie is a 4 and Rubio is a great pickup.

Wait...........HE"S A FOREIGNER!
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

I'm sure Booker is going to cry himself to sleep now that they brought in CP3 and got of Bricky.

I'll never forget the poll years back where this board voted overwhelmingly that they would rather have Ricky Rubio than Russell Westbrook. Lulz
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Our best bench player by a country mile
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

YBBR wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:58 pm Our best bench player by a country mile
I have no problem with this comment at this particular moment.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:56 pm Lol. We were sure great the first time he was here.

Flip was trying to deal him but gave him an extension? His shooting woes are well documented but you can't act like he wasn't a positive for Utah and Phoenix.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
T_J

Post by T_J »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:59 am

Flip was trying to deal him but gave him an extension? His shooting woes are well documented but you can't act like he wasn't a positive for Utah and Phoenix.
There was that massive thread we were going to pay Eric Bledsoe a boatload which would have meant dealing him somehow.

And didn't Flip sign him to that $14m for 3 with an option contract which was sort of an in between, we like you, but not really enough for a long term deal?
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

T_J wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:11 am

There was that massive thread we were going to pay Eric Bledsoe a boatload which would have meant dealing him somehow.

And didn't Flip sign him to that $14m for 3 with an option contract which was sort of an in between, we like you, but not really enough for a long term deal?
He got 4 years, 56... when I think the max was around like 60 something at the time (this was 2014). Bledsoe's name does ring a bell.. maybe Flip offered Rubio for Bledsoe or something before the deal? KG obviously came back in the winter that season.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Happens all the time in the NBA. You try to get a better fit but don't let guys reach UFA. Worry about moving them later and hope they don't lose value. Not with the current level of idiot though. He just adds bad fit after bad fit and kills their progress and value around the league. And somehow turns 2 max players, future picks gone, and 1 mil from the lux into a square one rebuild.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Can we please trade this poor sap to a contender? I’m not even talking about improving the team. I just want to see a happy Rubio on a team that matters and not wasting away in this cess pool.

My only ideas are the Clippers, the Lakers, maybe Dallas, Miami, Philly...spit balling.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

saw a trade idea out of ny yesterday where they were lobbying for bringing him to the knicks. said he'd be perfect. the offer was DSJ, ntilikina and a second. not a contender, but they're winning. i might consider it for knox, ntilikina and the second - not a fan at all of DSJ. but in any event, the money doesn't work unless they know something i don't.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
D_H

Post by D_H »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:31 pm saw a trade idea out of ny yesterday where they were lobbying for bringing him to the knicks. said he'd be perfect. the offer was DSJ, ntilikina and a second. not a contender, but they're winning. i might consider it for knox, ntilikina and the second - not a fan at all of DSJ. but in any event, the money doesn't work unless they know something i don't.

I don’t think Thibs wants Ricky.

Speaking of Thibs he has his team about to be 9-8 after tonight.

Guy can coach man! He’s tough but if he has the right players with the right mental make up and toughness- he will win big time.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

This trade is a disaster. Hopefully they can flip him for something at the deadline.
Let's get Tropical