Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Ricky Rubio

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Do you want Ricky Rubio Back?

Yes, he is and always will be a Wolf
69%
No, that ship has sailed long ago
31%

Total votes: 51

Philo Beddoe

Re: Ricky Rubio

Post by Philo Beddoe »

T_J wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:53 am I'm a little slow, but it dawns on me the Ricky trade was purely to hide the fact that they had no intention to sign or trade for anyone of substance this off-season. And you got the local media and the dumb casual fan eating it up not noticing the roster is otherwise 90% G-league.

Sell the team Glen to someone who cares about winning. I don't care if it's in Seattle.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
j2j

Post by j2j »

T_J wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:53 am I'm a little slow, but it dawns on me the Ricky trade was purely to hide the fact that they had no intention to sign or trade for anyone of substance this off-season. And you got the local media and the dumb casual fan eating it up not noticing the roster is otherwise 90% G-league.

Sell the team Glen to someone who cares about winning. I don't care if it's in Seattle.
Our fanbase has been brainwashed into being attracted to sentimental moments to cover for the complete ineptitude of the last 15 years.

Think about the biggest moments of this franchise the last few years and every one of them is an emotional moment.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
T_J

Post by T_J »

j2j wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:03 am

Our fanbase has been brainwashed into being attracted to sentimental moments to cover for the complete ineptitude of the last 15 years.

Think about the biggest moments of this franchise the last few years and every one of them is an emotional moment.
You're right. I throughly enjoyed the KG return, but it was purely about ticket sales in another dumpster year.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:03 am

Eat it up. Glad you're enjoying what in a normal year is a 30 second standing ovation, some cute passes, and 30 wins tops.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

I dunno, General soreness seemed pretty hyped and had nothing to do with sentimental moments.

Now it will be though every time we beat him.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Game 82 against the Nuggets. Gibson’s D in the corner.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

Does Rosas really expect us to get excited about RR 2.0? Is Taylor that plugged in to make Rosas gather his favs?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:37 pm
That's a pretty cool stat.

- Isaac Asimov
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

qrocks wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:45 pm Does Rosas really expect us to get excited about RR 2.0? Is Taylor that plugged in to make Rosas gather his favs?
See the results of this threads poll? now shut your mouth and stop crying.
T_J

Post by T_J »

"Yes he will always be a wolf"

Doofus clown OP types like he's writing a Mighty Ducks sequel.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:41 pm

Game 82 against the Nuggets. Gibson’s D in the corner.
That was huge!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Shabazz Muhammad with Ricky... turned down $8 million per year to play in NBA

Shabazz Muhammad without Ricky... Hello China Basketball league!

Again, Lets talk about how Ricky is going to help Edwards be a better NBA player.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

memyworld wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:58 am
Anyone want to post article?
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
Dr. Linux

Post by Dr. Linux »

Always liked Ricky. At the time we just needed shooting help immensely and well....he's not that guy. Happy to see him back.
-

Got Root?
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Exclusive: Ricky Rubio talks Wolves exit, time away and return to Minnesota

Jon Krawczynski 2h ago 30
He was not much more than a boy back then, that floppy mop haircut draped over a baby face and the well-manicured scruff on his chin designed to make a 20-year-old kid look older, but somehow doing the exact opposite.

As difficult as it may seem to believe, Ricky Rubio can’t really remember what was going through his mind on June 21, 2011, when more than 200 people were waiting for him at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, eager to get their first glimpse of the Spanish point guard who was going to change everything for a Timberwolves franchise that needed everything to be changed.

Nine and a half years later, Rubio is taking a break at his home in Barcelona. Grampa is playing with Liam, Rubio’s young son, in the next room to give Ricky a breather while he prepares to leave home for Minnesota again. In the span of just two days last week, Rubio found out on Twitter that he was being traded from Phoenix to Oklahoma City, contemplated life on a rebuilding Thunder team and then was presented with, and signed off on, a chance to return to the place his career began and the city that embraced him.

So many Timberwolves fans have been awash in nostalgia, looking back at old highlights of Rubio throwing a bounce pass through a defender’s legs or knocking down a game-winning 3 to beat the Thunder. And Rubio has been right there with them. He has seen the tweets and the YouTube posts of his days in the Wolves’ No. 9 and he is smiling right along with you.

“Seeing all the videos and clips that they did for me coming back home, it’s kind of like, wow that happened a long time ago,” Rubio told The Athletic. “But at the same time I have my memories in my mind.”

As he thinks back to that very first day in a strange land it is hard for him to describe the moment. He had not yet experienced a Minnesota wind chill or a Timberwolves losing streak or a torn ACL. He had yet to thread a crosscourt pass to Kevin Love for a 3 or slipped a dime right into the oven mitts that Nikola Pekovic had for hands as he lumbered to the basket on a pick-and-roll. And yet there were droves of fans, media and Wolves employees asking a kid they only knew from grainy internet videos to marry them or take a picture or, yes, sign their hands.

“I wasn’t even thinking all that was for me,” Rubio said. “It was like the movies. I just got off a plane and I’m a rock star. It was something that I’ll always remember, but if they ask me what was going through your mind, I don’t remember. I was so excited I couldn’t even think.”

In some ways, this time around is just as hectic. When he first arrived in Minnesota he was not yet old enough to drink, with the hopes of an entire franchise placed on his undeveloped shoulders. He returns as a 30-year-old father, and a spot in the starting lineup is not guaranteed. But in some ways, he is needed now more than ever. The Timberwolves may have more talent than Rubio ever played with during his first six-year stay, but the roster is also among the youngest in the league. They need him to throw lobs to Anthony Edwards. They need him to find D’Angelo Russell for 3 on the wing. But they need him even more to convey the wisdom he has amassed through 10 years in the NBA, an MVP performance in the World Cup and a slaying of Russell Westbrook in the 2018 playoffs to help these pups grow up.

Rubio the rookie was so much fun, wind in his hair as he surged up the court with teammates’ eyes wide open knowing full well a pass could be coming from any angle when they least expected it. Rubio the veteran has been hardened by the business side of the game. There is an edge to him now, one that will help him hold players accountable and speak his mind when something needs to be said.

“Things have changed. Ten years change your life,” Rubio said. “I’m a different player, but I’m a different man, too.”
Ketchup can be nuancy
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

Continued ...

This is not the first time Timberwolves president of basketball operations Gersson Rosas tried to get his hands on Rubio.

In the summer of 2019, Rubio was a free agent and Rosas was just getting settled in as the new basketball boss in Minnesota. He has Ryan Saunders as his coach, and the Wolves reached out to see if Rubio would consider a return to Minnesota after spending the previous two seasons in Utah. Rubio and Saunders had grown close when Saunders was an assistant with the Wolves while each mourned the loss of a parent. Saunders needed a point guard with Jeff Teague not working out, but Rubio was not yet ready to come back.

Rubio said he had always wanted to play for Saunders when Saunders got the chance to be a head coach. But it felt too soon in 2019. Things with the Timberwolves ended poorly when Rubio and Tom Thibodeau did not see eye to eye. Thibodeau shipped him to Utah for a first-round pick and signed Teague as the kind of scoring point guard he believed was needed to succeed. So when Rosas came knocking last year, Rubio politely declined. He signed a three-year, $51 million deal with Phoenix instead, but always left the door open for a return one day.

“The way I left, it’s not how I wanted,” he said. “I understand it was business and how it works. I wasn’t ready (to come back last year). I think I’m more ready now, more mature.”

Part of what makes the timing right is how things ended with the Suns. Rubio had built a strong relationship last year with coach Monty Williams, who like Saunders was the kind of open, communicative coach that Rubio appreciates. The Suns were the darlings of the Orlando bubble, going 8-0 and missing out on the playoffs by a whisker. Rubio was told in the offseason that he was part of the Suns’ plans moving forward as they built around Devin Booker and Deandre Ayton.

But he was on the treadmill at his gym on Nov. 16 when he saw a tweet come across his feed.

“It’s not the way you want to know, especially my agent was talking with the team and they said my name was off the table when all the rumors and all the stuff happened,” Rubio said. “You feel like everything that they have said to you all year and buying into a new project and a young team and they need you, blah, blah, blah. It seems like nothing’s true.”

Rubio said he had no hard feelings about the move itself. He did not blame the Suns for wanting Chris Paul, whom he called a Hall of Fame point guard. But the way he found out stung him, and in some ways may have helped pave his way back to Minnesota.

Even though so much has changed in the organization since he last wore a Timberwolves jersey, there is still a lot of familiarity to provide some comfort. Saunders is a major part of that. Rubio trusts him implicitly. He played the first two seasons of Karl-Anthony Towns’ career with him and understands the limitless talent the big man possesses. He is tight with power forward Juancho Hernangomez, who agreed to terms on Sunday on a three-year, $21 million contract that includes a team option for the third season, from their days playing together in Spain. And he has long admired assistant coach Pablo Prigioni dating back to their days playing overseas.

“I had a lot of battles against him,” Rubio said. “I learned from his experience and his Argentinian mentality, which is kind of like the Spanish National Team. It’s something that I’m really looking forward to.”

The Timberwolves wanted more than just a familiar face and a fan favorite. Saunders has long preferred playing with multiple ball-handlers on the floor at the same time to help quicken the pace and increase the ball movement on offense. And after playing with Donovan Mitchell in Utah and Booker in Phoenix, Rubio has grown much more accustomed to playing off of the ball, something he struggled with in Minnesota.

Last year was one of his best from a statistical perspective. He averaged 13.0 points (his career high is 13.1), 8.8 assists and shot a career-high 36.1 percent from 3-point range.

“I really learned these last three years how to play off the ball,” Rubio said. “That’s how you grow as a player, putting yourself in a different situation and responding. Being in uncomfortable situations, if you use it the right way, it helps you to really improve your game.”
Ketchup can be nuancy
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

continued again ...
When Rosas looks at Rubio’s path, he sees the perfect veteran for this roster. Rubio has the versatility to run the show as the point guard and have Russell move off the ball for a different look. Or Rubio can play the off guard, keeping the ball moving and helping stabilize the backourt defense while Russell takes the controls. It’s a similar philosophy to what Rosas was a part of in Houston with James Harden and Paul, when one or the other was on the court at all times to keep the offense hitting on all cylinders.

Playing with two dynamic scorers who also like the ball in their hands like Booker and Mitchell has prepared Rubio for playing with Russell, who had success in Brooklyn playing with Spencer Dinwiddie in a two-playmaker backcourt. When he is with the second unit, Rosas and Saunders see a player who can make life easier for Jarrett Culver, Jake Layman, Naz Reid and maybe even Edwards if the Wolves ease him into things.

“There’s a certain way we want to play and that’s fast and in the open court,” Rosas said. “When you add an elite playmaker to an already elite point guard in D’Angelo, that just means we’re going to have the highest level of playmaking on the floor for 48 minutes in addition to having those guys play together.”

Rosas also saw how helpful Rubio was to Mitchell’s career path. The budding superstar in Utah lavished Rubio with praise for helping him find his way and stay focused. That is something Rubio will be asked to do with Edwards, the No. 1 overall pick. Tom Crean coached Edwards at Georgia and believes Rubio is exactly what Edwards needs to gain a full understanding of what it takes to succeed in the NBA.

“We’ve followed him close for a long, long time and I just love the way he moves the ball,” Crean said. “I love his work ethic. I think that was one of the best moves of the entire (draft) night that anybody in the NBA made.”

Rubio was thinking about all of this last week as he contemplated coming back to the Timberwolves. He thought about playing with a big as offensively gifted as Towns, shooters like Russell and Malik Beasley and the raw athleticism of Edwards and quickly started to warm to the idea of a reunion.

“It started to really make more sense for me to really connect the puzzle and get to Minnesota and help a young team with a lot of talent and already have done really good things,” he said. “I feel like I can fit in the puzzle.”

So much of it comes down to Saunders. Rubio grew to be close with Ryan’s father, Flip, the man who gave Rubio his first big contract extension to stay in Minnesota. Both Ryan and Flip are engaging communicators with empathy for others, which appeals to Rubio. When Saunders took over for the fired Thibodeau, Rubio’s heart swelled. He had long believed that Ryan was destined to be a head coach, just like his dad. And when it happened, Rubio started paying a lot more attention to his old team.

“I always said I wanted to play for him someday,” Rubio said. “I didn’t expect it was going to come this easy or this fast. But I feel like I need to play for him and at least try it.”

The two have yet to have a full conversation about what Rubio’s role on the court will look like. Saunders has been deeply involved in free agency and there has been little time for the two to connect for an in-depth conversation. But Saunders is excited to have another ballhandler available to him, but he will need Rubio’s veteran leadership almost as much as he does his passing and defense.

“We have a core and young group that will need guidance, and not for any other reason than that it takes time in this league to find your way,” Saunders said. “And having somebody of Ricky’s character, having somebody of Ricky’s basketball and NBA knowledge, he’ll be able to help these guys along. So we’re really looking forward to that.”

One of the biggest differences that Rubio has this time in Minnesota is playing with a clear mind. He lost his mother to cancer when he was here, tore the ACL in his knee toward the end of his rookie season, was limited to 57 games in 2012-13 and 22 games in 2014-15 because of injuries and was weighed down by all of the losing the Timberwolves experienced in those six years.

All of the mental anguish made it difficult to assert himself in a locker room that needed a leader. Love and Pekovic were not leaders. Andrew Wiggins certainly wasn’t. Zach LaVine and Towns weren’t ready for the role when he was here. Rubio tried to do it by example, but he never felt comfortable making his voice heard, especially if it was time to get a teammate’s attention.

But as he has gotten older, Rubio has become more assertive. He said he learned a lot from Williams, his coach in Phoenix, about the importance of holding teammates accountable in a respectful manner. He will be walking into a locker room with young pillars Towns and Russell and few other established veterans (though the Wolves did trade Omari Spellman, Jacob Evans and a second-round pick for locker room stalwart Ed Davis on Sunday). Rubio said Williams had a mantra in Phoenix of “calling up” instead of “calling out.” The implication is confronting a teammate should not be viewed as a hostile act, but one of care in hopes of getting the player to play better for himself and the team.

Rubio has been seeing a sports psychologist in recent years to sharpen his mind that way, and he says it has helped him reach another plateau when it comes to leadership.
Ketchup can be nuancy
Ask Not

Post by Ask Not »

Last page of article/novel ...
“In the past, I was kind of a leader, but afraid of things,” Rubio said. “I’m not afraid of anything now. Right now if I have to say something, I will say it the right way, but I will get mad, too. Whoever is not doing the right thing … I’m going to call him up.”

Rubio can also help Towns work his way back after his mother, Jacqueline Cruz Towns, died in April from complications with COVID-19. The Wolves will have a mini-support group of Rubio, Towns, Edwards and Saunders, all people who lost a parent at a young age.

“The pain that we’re going through, not just as players, but as a man, you can relate, build chemistry from that and share moments and help each other,” Rubio said. “We have to be a family. The team has to be our second family and we have to feel that way to really help each other.”

He comes back with a clean slate, a healthy family and a fresh outlook. The losses, the injuries, the coaching changes, they all have done little to tarnish Rubio’s view of an NBA market that is often overlooked. He has always spoken highly of the Twin Cities, of the people who embraced him as a youngster and made him feel at home.

“I felt like I came here when I was 20 years old and everybody embraced me,” he said. “There was not a bad word for me, and that really helped a kid from out of the country live his dream. I was embraced from Day One. I appreciate that. I feel like a lot of people made that possible, and I always will be grateful for that.”

For all of the good times he reflects up from his first six years in Minnesota, there is something that haunts him to this day.

Target Center was crackling on March 9, 2012, when the Timberwolves carried a 21-19 record into a game against the Los Angeles Lakers that had playoff implications in a lockout-shortened season. Rubio was the favorite for Rookie of the Year, a revelation whose infectious energy and unselfish play had raised the level of a team that had no business being in the postseason hunt. Even with Love out with a back injury, the Wolves were right in the game down the stretch. Rubio had 15 points, 10 assists, four rebounds and two steals in 39 minutes.

The Wolves led 102-101 with 17 seconds to play when Rubio went to double Kobe Bryant and knocked knees with him. Rubio’s left knee buckled, resulting in a torn ACL that ended his season and the Wolves’ hopes of making the playoffs. The Wolves lost 20 of the last 25 games to tumble out of contention, Rubio’s one true shot at the playoffs while he was in Minnesota.

Rubio had watched the basketball community embrace the Minnesota Lynx while they were making the playoffs and winning championships. He felt the energy in the building when the Wolves were in contention that night against the Lakers. And even after leaving and taking the Jazz to the playoffs, he always thought about one day returning to do the same for the Wolves.

“I wanted to live that in Minnesota,” Rubio said. “It was something that I always wanted to do.”

There has always been an interesting kinship between Wolves fans and Rubio. Both have their flaws and their scars, and yet they stand tall for each other. Rubio never took the bait from big-city journalists who would ask him if he wanted to play in a bigger market, instead singing the praises of the easy living and friendly people who made Minnesota winters worth it for him. The fans saw Rubio as an underdog like they were. He wasn’t the biggest or the fastest. His struggles shooting were well documented.

But he was theirs. They waited for two years for Rubio to come over from Spain. They watched him fill the highlight reels with no-look passes. And unlike Love or Jimmy Butler, they knew Rubio never really wanted to leave here, that he was proud to call the Twin Cities his second home.

Those fans were so elated with news of Rubio’s return on draft night that it arguably overshadowed the Wolves drafting Edwards No. 1 overall.

“We’re living in a world right now where it’s first me and then us,” Rubio said. “There was a saying with Flip that was ‘We over Me.’ It’s something that really works in basketball. When you have team success, the individual success will come after.”

He brought that mindset to Minnesota as a rookie. And he is packing that mantra in his luggage in Barcelona as he prepares to return this week. As much as he has trouble processing the feelings of the first time he stepped off the plane in Minnesota, Rubio smiled when he tried to anticipate the emotions this time around.

“It will feel like home,” Rubio said. “I don’t know yet. I haven’t been there. When I was coming back with other teams, it was something that it always felt like a really comfortable place. You always want to go back where you feel comfortable.”

He will come back with a different hairstyle, a different outlook and a different skill set. But some things will not change. He wore No. 9 for six years in Minnesota, and many years before that in Spain. When he was traded to Utah and then signed with Phoenix, both organizations had the number retired. He wore No. 3 in Utah and No. 11 in Phoenix, but he kept 9 in his Twitter handle.

His number is waiting for him here, as are so many of the fans who cheered so loudly for him. Even if he could have had 9 in Utah and Phoenix, Rubio said it wouldn’t have felt right.

“I didn’t want to wear it in any other city in the NBA,” he said. “I felt like it was just for Minnesota.”
Ketchup can be nuancy
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Too bad CoronaVirus. How cool would it be to have a bunch of fans greet Rubio when he lands in Minneapolis again?
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Thank you for posting!
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

In the past, I was kind of a leader, but afraid of things,” Rubio said. “I’m not afraid of anything now. Right now if I have to say something, I will say it the right way, but I will get mad, too. Whoever is not doing the right thing … I’m going to call him up.
Change your face!

thinktank

Post by thinktank »

The Athletic must pay by the word.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sid Hartman wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:25 am
Anyone want to post article?
$1 a month. Great price!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:23 am Shabazz Muhammad with Ricky... turned down $8 million per year to play in NBA

Again, Lets talk about how Ricky is going to help Edwards be a better NBA player.
Zach Harper:
He turned down a four-year, $40 million extension before the 2016-17 season. Sources say Muhammad believed a strong year plus a crazy flow of free-agency money would lead to him commanding as much as $20 million per season in his next deal.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:22 pm
Philo Beddoe wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:23 am Shabazz Muhammad with Ricky... turned down $8 million per year to play in NBA

Zach Harper:
He turned down a four-year, $40 million extension before the 2016-17 season. Sources say Muhammad believed a strong year plus a crazy flow of free-agency money would lead to him commanding as much as $20 million per season in his next deal.
Some Sprewell level stupid shit there.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

jodaman01 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:46 pm

Zach Harper:
Some Sprewell level stupid shit there.
Worse! Spree was somewhat justified on the contract, his comments about feeding his family were not.

Sprewell and Cassell were pissed summer of 2004 for contract purposes. Both wanted extensions, Sprewell wanted too much and Cassell wanted a raise while battling the hip injury. They watched as Hudson/Hassell got 6 year deals for 36 and 26/27 mil but Sprewell was offered 3 for 21 (huge paycut) and Cassell just had a career year, making 5 mil... that's where Hudson's next contract was starting.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Thanks for posting the article here!!

After Reading:

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Zach Harper:
When “keep in’ it real goes bad.”

- Isaac Asimov