Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Ricky Rubio

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Do you want Ricky Rubio Back?

Yes, he is and always will be a Wolf
69%
No, that ship has sailed long ago
31%

Total votes: 51

j2j

Re: Ricky Rubio

Post by j2j »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:35 pm
j2j wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:27 pm To be clear, we drafted a guy at #1 whose only skill is supposed to be scoring the ball and he struggled scoring the ball so we needed to get a $17mil backup point guard to help him?
He struggled?

Did I fall asleep and miss two months?
Nah, just 2 pages.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

j2j wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:27 pm To be clear, we drafted a guy at #1 whose only skill is supposed to be scoring the ball and he struggled scoring the ball so we needed to get a $17mil backup point guard to help him?
Nobody said what you imply they said. Quit being a baby.

What was said is at times Edwards struggled... There were some 1 for 8 stretches in his college... Having Rubio on the team is going to make it easier for him.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:38 pm
Oh no... That is going to trigger some.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

has rubio gotten any better at finishing? because, you know, if he looks really great handling the ball and being all ricky, it doesn't really translate into easy looks for edwards if no one respects his drives to the rim. in that sort of situation, jmac - a tiny dude who will actually dunk on you with authority - is maybe the better draw and kick. i am clueless as to the lack of respect given to jmac for how he performed for us last year. waaaay better finisher than rubio - and that often translates into better looks for guys on the perimeter. i'm not saying he's perfect - rubio is the better defender. but there's a reason why ricks is now on his fourth team in five years.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:51 pm has rubio gotten any better at finishing? because, you know, if he looks really great handling the ball and being all ricky, it doesn't really translate into easy looks for edwards if no one respects his drives to the rim. in that sort of situation, jmac - a tiny dude who will actually dunk on you with authority - is maybe the better draw and kick. i am clueless as to the lack of respect given to jmac for how he performed for us last year. waaaay better finisher than rubio - and that often translates into better looks for guys on the perimeter. i'm not saying he's perfect - rubio is the better defender. but there's a reason why ricks is now on his fourth team in five years.
Ready to hear something crazy?
Ricky was a better shooter than Booker was last year.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

I'm happy to have Ricky back.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Ricky’s Back Home Bitches!! 2020 is officially saved!!

Another ultimate THIBBS wrong righted!!

Anybody bitching or sore about this can go cuddle and cry into their Saddiq Bey blow-up dolls and get over it.

Can’t wait to see Ricky runnin’ some shit here and helping lead the Wolves to the Playoffs!!

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Ricky actually looked a lot better after he left here. Hope that continues.
swenjj

Post by swenjj »

kilkenny wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:52 pm Ricky actually looked a lot better after he left here. Hope that continues.
I didn't realize how good of a year he had until I looked a bit more. Shooting isn't even that bad.
9 assists a game..nice. still interesting to see the rotation..are we getting the best out of Russell and Edwards at sg and sf instead of pg and shooting guard? They may do well but gives up some natural advantages of size.

But Ricky also did play very well.
j2j

Post by j2j »

The snowflakes are struggling with anyone criticizing the hometown team. Goodness. Heaven forbid anyone have an opinion other than the party line.

Subarudrivingsnowflake

Post by Subarudrivingsnowflake »

I don’t understand why we did this. Wtf is going on. Out of all the thing you could do with 2 picks. Rubio?? Omg
Subarudrivingsnowflake

Lol Rubio is gonna be a culture builder now?? Lol

Shit if Garnett or Jimmy Buckets couldn’t get through to Towns, Rubio will??

Jesus Christ what a homer move. These guys aren’t about winning. It’s about business. Only in Mn do we cherish players like this. Feel good story bullshit and in the end no championship. I’m so done
Subarudrivingsnowflake

swenjj wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:09 pm
kilkenny wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:52 pm Ricky actually looked a lot better after he left here. Hope that continues.
I didn't realize how good of a year he had until I looked a bit more. Shooting isn't even that bad.
9 assists a game..nice. still interesting to see the rotation..are we getting the best out of Russell and Edwards at sg and sf instead of pg and shooting guard? They may do well but gives up some natural advantages of size.

Nobody guards him at the 3pt line or pick and rolls.

His shot % should be insane every year. He’s been open his whole career. Now we’re supposed to bow down because he went avg for once considering nobody guards his jumper?? Fuck!!
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Subarudrivingsnowflake wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:45 pm

His shot % should be insane every year. He’s been open his whole career. Now we’re supposed to bow down because he went avg for once considering nobody guards his jumper?? Fuck!!

lol, you are looking at Rubio for what he bring for stats. Try to see the bigger picture for what he has done to stars and prospects around him.

You think we held Mark Madsen that long for stats?
j2j

Post by j2j »

How many minutes does everyone play?

T_J

Post by T_J »

When is the AP sports guys' Rubio return article coming out? I'm guessing 5000 words, a bunch of horseshit MN homer garbage,, and of course, gotta pay for it.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Not sure what to put this.

SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

T_J wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:53 am When is the AP sports guys' Rubio return article coming out? I'm guessing 5000 words, a bunch of horseshit MN homer garbage,, and of course, gotta pay for it.
That was yesterday.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

T_J wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:03 am Not sure what to put this.

He’s a legit badass.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:06 am
T_J wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:03 am Not sure what to put this.

He’s a legit badass.
He is a solid player. He seems to have fun out there. I hope he gets minutes in Dallas
T_J

Post by T_J »

SHAFA wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:05 am
T_J wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:53 am When is the AP sports guys' Rubio return article coming out? I'm guessing 5000 words, a bunch of horseshit MN homer garbage,, and of course, gotta pay for it.
That was yesterday.
Ha missed it I guess.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

shoteh wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:41 pm

lol, you are looking at Rubio for what he bring for stats. Try to see the bigger picture for what he has done to stars and prospects around him.

ok, the bigger picture for rubio is that he's never been a difference maker. nine years in the league with about a 45% winning percentage. that's maybe/maybe not a playoff team. yes, he's been on bad teams. and... he's often been part of the reason why they are bad. he's not a difference maker.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:15 am
shoteh wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:41 pm

ok, the bigger picture for rubio is that he's never been a difference maker. nine years in the league with about a 45% winning percentage. that's maybe/maybe not a playoff team. yes, he's been on bad teams. and... he's often been part of the reason why they are bad. he's not a difference maker.
That’s a disingenuous argument. Phoenix improved from 19 wins to 34 with Ayton only playing playing half the season, and went 8-0 in the bubble. They jumped up near the top 10 in offensive rating and to the mid-tier from bottom of the barrel in defensive rating.

None of that happens without Rubio there.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

was he a difference maker in his time here? most of his career his ultimate effectiveness has been hamstrung by bad shooting. he shot well last season. maybe he'll continue to shoot well for us - or maybe it will be a blip.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

You can’t change the argument from “hasn’t been a difference maker in 9 years” to “was he a difference maker here?” Come on, man.

Not only was he a huge part of Phoenix’ resurgence, but you could also make the argument that Utah got worse by bringing in Conley.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Man, with no PF signed I'm feeling more nervous about this trade of Johnson for Rubio. We could have been comfortable with Dlo and Jmac at PG and Johnson/Juancho at PF for now. 1 month away, season starts. Yikes!

And about the rubio thing not being effective here, dude what do you expect when you team him up with the guys we had? If you put Rondo, Jrue, Dinwiddy, even Jamal Murray with our team I don't think we would have won any more games.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Ricky over 40% on catch and shoot threes last year.

T_J

Post by T_J »

I'm a little slow, but it dawns on me the Ricky trade was purely to hide the fact that they had no intention to sign or trade for anyone of substance this off-season. And you got the local media and the dumb casual fan eating it up not noticing the roster is otherwise 90% G-league.

Sell the team Glen to someone who cares about winning. I don't care if it's in Seattle.