Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Ricky Rubio

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Do you want Ricky Rubio Back?

Yes, he is and always will be a Wolf
69%
No, that ship has sailed long ago
31%

Total votes: 51

shuttlesworth

Re: Ricky Rubio

Post by shuttlesworth »

Cry more.
sh1mmyya

Post by sh1mmyya »

I really like what they did last night. I'm really surprised at the mood in here.
Formally known as Pooperscooper
Never forget page 116
Rip Flip
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

sh1mmyya wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:43 pm I really like what they did last night. I'm really surprised at the mood in here.
Yeah.

I think they set their expectations to an unreasonable level.

Coming out with Edwards and Rubio is a win.

Both those players will help the Wolves win this season.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

The best thing about having Rubio back is that now there WILL be accountability on the floor if you're not playing hard. He can set the tone right away like KG did when he got here and expect KAT and Dlo, and definitely Edwards to bring it every game. I was and am still nervous about a role model/leader for Edwards on this team, well now there is one.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

sh1mmyya wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:43 pm I really like what they did last night. I'm really surprised at the mood in here.
Some of us would like to at least start to try to begin the process of trying to start doing the things that you start with to actually try to maybe get started with the things that lead to beginning the important parts of actually putting a team on the floor that can compete in a game of basketball.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

shoteh wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:24 pm The best thing about having Rubio back is that now there WILL be accountability on the floor if you're not playing hard. He can set the tone right away like KG did when he got here and expect KAT and Dlo, and definitely Edwards to bring it every game. I was and am still nervous about a role model/leader for Edwards on this team, well now there is one.

:lol: Throat clear :lol: Jimmy fucking Butler.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:49 pm
Yeah.

I think they set their expectations to an unreasonable level.

Coming out with Edwards and Rubio is a win.

Both those players will help the Wolves win this season.
Correct. I do believe they will have a hand in quite a few of the 28 or so wins we get. Oh, shortened season. Make that 20.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

shoteh wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:24 pm The best thing about having Rubio back is that now there WILL be accountability on the floor if you're not playing hard. He can set the tone right away like KG did when he got here and expect KAT and Dlo, and definitely Edwards to bring it every game. I was and am still nervous about a role model/leader for Edwards on this team, well now there is one.
He's not as good as Butler, not nearly, but in terms of connecting with his teammates, he's very much needed. JJ seemed to have a great presence....but lets be real, he's not that good...I'd argue kind of a spaz, so to get quality vet leadership that can actually impact the game....on this team, is huge. Again, Butler is all about accountability, but he didn't translate with our kids....Rubio will with ease. I'm still nervous of his role as well as Edwards. With Beasley and no current legit starting PF, I have no idea what our lineup is in a week. I'm going to say three or four guys are gone for sure by Sunday.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:52 pm Not sure this was posted?....

https://dunkingwithwolves.com/2020/11/1 ... berwolves/
Thanks.
My heart is family.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

These three points are easily refutable.

1. The point about Rubio being on the court only uses the comparison of Rubio's shooting and Russell's. Thus, he claims Russell and Rubio would be a good pairing on the court together. However, this is a specious argument. The real comp is Russell with other players. Russell-Edwards is a much better offensive combination that Russell-Rubio, and Malik Beasley is a much better shooter than Rubio. I would also argue that if you are looking at the full backcourt, Russell-Edwards-Beasley is a much better combination than Russell-Edwards-Rubio. Simply ignoring the other possible lineups makes a weak case.

2. They make the claim that Rubio's salary "fits". It does. They dumped Johnson's expiring to OKC in the deal and those salaries matched up. But the real problem is next season. Johnson's salary would have dropped off but Rubio will still have a fully guaranteed $17.8 million contract for 2021-22. THis really places significant financial constraints on the Wolves. If they consider resigning Beasley or Herangomez, along with the two rookie deals, and a MLE in 2020-21 their salary cap number will be around $125 million by the time you include dead cap and signings to complete the roster.

All fine until the next season. WIth a $17.8 million hit to Rubio if they add any additional MLE level salary they will push right up to the luxury tax. But that is assuming the luxury cap remains the same or increases. The salary cap numbers might contract and put a huge squeeze on a mediocre at best team like the WOlves.

3. The leadership claims about Rubio are doubtful. First, the claims of the value of veteran leadership are exaggerated. Second, Rubio is a professional player and hard but he is really never been a team leader. It is doubtful that he is going to have influence on players like Russell and Towns, or Edwards and Beasley for that matter.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Does Ricky still own property here?

Just wondering... would be a nice bonus for him in the return
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

minnemike wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:58 am Does Ricky still own property here?

I believe he sold his place....

https://www.realtor.com/news/celebrity- ... penthouse/
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:02 am
minnemike wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:58 am Does Ricky still own property here?

I believe he sold his place....

https://www.realtor.com/news/celebrity- ... penthouse/
Welp... he can upgrade after banking the Utah checks!
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Here is something for people to chew on.

Andrew Wiggins the 2 years with Rubio
2015-16 Season - .459 shooting percentage and scored 20.7 ppg - 84 Dunks - With Rubio
2016-17 Season - .452 shooting percentage and scored 23.6 ppg - 77 Dunks - With Rubio
Rubio Traded
2017-18 Season - .438 shooting percentage and scored 17.7 ppg - 58 Dunks Without Rubio
2018-19 Season - .412 shooting percentage and scored 18.1 ppg - 39 Dunks Without Rubio

Now ask yourself, you have a crazy athletic young Guard coming onto the team. A guy who at times struggled to score at the college level. Wouldn't it be smart to put him in a position to have an easier transition to the league?

Acquiring Rubio was not about Rubio... it was about Anthony Edwards. If you cannot see that, you are not looking at the big picture.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:14 am Here is something for people to chew on.

2015-16 Season - .459 shooting percentage and scored 20.7 ppg - 84 Dunks - With Rubio
2016-17 Season - .452 shooting percentage and scored 23.6 ppg - 77 Dunks - With Rubio
Rubio Traded
2017-18 Season - .438 shooting percentage and scored 17.7 ppg - 58 Dunks Without Rubio
2018-19 Season - .412 shooting percentage and scored 18.1 ppg - 39 Dunks Without Rubio

Now ask yourself, you have a crazy athletic young Guard coming onto the team. A guy who at times struggled to score at the college level. Wouldn't it be smart to put him in a position to have an easier transition to the league?

Acquiring Rubio was not about Rubio... it was about Anthony Edwards. If you cannot see that, you are not looking at the big picture.
Wiggins Player Efficiency Rating - League Average is 15
2015-16 Season - 16.5 with Rubio
2016-17 Season - 16.5 with Rubio
Rubio Traded
2018-19 Season - 13.0 without Rubio
2019-20 Season - 10.9 without Rubio
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:14 am Here is something for people to chew on.

Rubio Traded

Didn’t Rubio’s exit coincide with Butler’s arrival?

That might have had something to do his drop in production too. Regardless of personality and all that, Butler and Wiggins don’t fit together well offensively as players.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:22 am

Rubio Traded

Didn’t Rubio’s exit coincide with Butler’s arrival?

That might have had something to do his drop in production too. Regardless of personality and all that, Butler and Wiggins don’t fit together well offensively as players.
Wiggins was still jacking up shots...

I would argue that having Butler on the team should have opened up things more for Wiggins. Wiggins was seeing a lot less double teams with Butler on the floor. He should have been in position to take his man one on one.

I remember wondering aloud why Wiggins stopped dunking several times. Everyone scoffed like I didnt know what I was talking about.

Wiggins stopped getting easy shots when Rubio was traded. You were asking someone with a low motor to have to work for every basket. Trading Rubio in the first place doomed this team and was Thibideaux biggest mistake.

If they had kept Rubio instead of investing in Jeff Teague, they would have been a better team.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:21 am

Rubio Traded

Wiggins Player Efficiency Rating - League Average is 15
2015-16 Season - 16.5 with Rubio
2016-17 Season - 16.5 with Rubio
Rubio Traded
2018-19 Season - 13.0 without Rubio
2019-20 Season - 10.9 without Rubio
I posted this elsewhere, but it's exactly what Tjarks points out in his Wolves piece on The Ringer:
"... the Jazz outscored opponents by 8.2 points per 100 possessions when [Rubio and Mitchell] shared the floor two seasons ago. He helped Devin Booker and Deandre Ayton take flight last season in Phoenix; the Suns were plus-7.6-per-100 when the trio played together, and got outscored in the minutes that Booker and Ayton played without Rubio."
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

He no like anybody else.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:49 pm

1. The point about Rubio being on the court only uses the comparison of Rubio's shooting and Russell's. Thus, he claims Russell and Rubio would be a good pairing on the court together. However, this is a specious argument. The real comp is Russell with other players. Russell-Edwards is a much better offensive combination that Russell-Rubio, and Malik Beasley is a much better shooter than Rubio. I would also argue that if you are looking at the full backcourt, Russell-Edwards-Beasley is a much better combination than Russell-Edwards-Rubio. Simply ignoring the other possible lineups makes a weak case.

2. They make the claim that Rubio's salary "fits". It does. They dumped Johnson's expiring to OKC in the deal and those salaries matched up. But the real problem is next season. Johnson's salary would have dropped off but Rubio will still have a fully guaranteed $17.8 million contract for 2021-22. THis really places significant financial constraints on the Wolves. If they consider resigning Beasley or Herangomez, along with the two rookie deals, and a MLE in 2020-21 their salary cap number will be around $125 million by the time you include dead cap and signings to complete the roster.

All fine until the next season. WIth a $17.8 million hit to Rubio if they add any additional MLE level salary they will push right up to the luxury tax. But that is assuming the luxury cap remains the same or increases. The salary cap numbers might contract and put a huge squeeze on a mediocre at best team like the WOlves.

3. The leadership claims about Rubio are doubtful. First, the claims of the value of veteran leadership are exaggerated. Second, Rubio is a professional player and hard but he is really never been a team leader. It is doubtful that he is going to have influence on players like Russell and Towns, or Edwards and Beasley for that matter.
You say easily refutable, but I'm sorry, a lot of what you just said is an opinion. You think vet leadership on a team with basically 25 year old kids and younger is exaggerated, I find that to be obscenely false, but we'll agree to disagree.

How about this,
With the 17th pick and JJ, as GM, what do you do with that package. You seem to know everything, so please tell me the best course of action knowing two things. We don't have a veteran that can actually play on this team and we never, ever, attract mid level FA. I'll wait for you much better option. And if it's something stupid like take Bey, develop him and ship off parts with JJ at the deadline...don't bother with being generic. You hate the Rubio deal so much, please state a viable and better option. Again, not that you'd actually know....since none of us are privy to what deals were on the table anywhere along the way.

Side note, I love when posters sweat money like A, it's theirs, and B, they think the Wolves can use it land an outright signing. If Glen has to pay tax because we're squeezed next year, who actually gives a fuck?
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Lets also keep in mind, teams were not going to be knocking down their door to take Johnson and his $17 million salary even if for just one year.

Johnson is a decent player, but he is way over paid.

What other player out there making $17 million is a team willing to trade for Johnson?

We possibly would have had to give extra compensation to a team with cap space to for Johnson to shed his contract... instead we received #23 and #25 for #17... which in of itself would be a fair trade.
T_J

Post by T_J »

j2j wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:56 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:46 pm
j2j wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:40 pm

I'm really trying not to be snarky because I like you people, but we had a 17mil expiring and we traded it and a mid-1st for a backup PG and two late firsts. That was something...

This franchise is obsessed with short term sentimental moments to draw a couple extra fans one night.
I get that, I really do.

You are also correct that rarely do expiring deals contribute in any meaningful way but would you rather have JJ and use him for nothing or get something like we did with him? We're over the cap so Ricky might be extremely useful in matching salaries in a trade down the road.
We have no rebounding, toughness, or defense on this team. JJ isnt a needle mover either, but at least he ain't no punk.

I just cant believe with the 1, 17, 33, and JJ we got a guy who doesnt like basketball, a guy who cant shoot but probably will never play in the NBA, and a beanpole bitch with a temper and no skill. Oh and a backup PG retread.

There had to have been better options. HAD TO BE.

Right? :cry:
I can't tell if I'm reading my own posts or yours. This is all 100% correct.
T_J

Post by T_J »

Rubio Traded

Um, we just traded our 1st next year and absorbed a max salary on a guy who is already supposed to do that. Are you fucking kidding?
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

T_J wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:37 am

Rubio Traded

Um, we just traded our 1st next year and absorbed a max salary on a guy who is already supposed to do that. Are you fucking kidding?
Now we have 2... even better.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

T_J wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:37 am

Rubio Traded

Russell isn't the distributor Ricky is... of course. I'm optimistic it can work with Russell/Towns/Ricky/Edwards and whoever the fifth guy is... preferably a defending 4 who can help protect the rim.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

digitalwolf wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:27 am
mlhouse wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:49 pm

You say easily refutable, but I'm sorry, a lot of what you just said is an opinion. You think vet leadership on a team with basically 25 year old kids and younger is exaggerated, I find that to be obscenely false, but we'll agree to disagree.

How about this,
With the 17th pick and JJ, as GM, what do you do with that package. You seem to know everything, so please tell me the best course of action knowing two things. We don't have a veteran that can actually play on this team and we never, ever, attract mid level FA. I'll wait for you much better option. And if it's something stupid like take Bey, develop him and ship off parts with JJ at the deadline...don't bother with being generic. You hate the Rubio deal so much, please state a viable and better option. Again, not that you'd actually know....since none of us are privy to what deals were on the table anywhere along the way.

Side note, I love when posters sweat money like A, it's theirs, and B, they think the Wolves can use it land an outright signing. If Glen has to pay tax because we're squeezed next year, who actually gives a fuck?
The much better option was to select a player like Bey or Achiuwa with the pick. While those players may have more limited upside, they actually fill a role that is seriously lacking on the Timberwolves. Shooting and high energy, athletic defense.

As far as veteran leadership, we have had veteran players on this team. Taj Gibson. Jeff Teague. Derrick Rose. Robert Covington. Remember them and how their veteran leadership transformed the young players on this franchise into winners?

Lastly, while you think you do not give a fuck because it is Glen Taylor's money, you actually should. Nothing makes ownership make radical cuts in talent and bad deals than financial issues like having to pay more than $130 million in salaries, millions of dollars of luxury tax, AND WIN 30-40 games and not make the playoffs.
j2j

Post by j2j »

To be clear, we drafted a guy at #1 whose only skill is supposed to be scoring the ball and he struggled scoring the ball so we needed to get a $17mil backup point guard to help him?
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

j2j wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:27 pm To be clear, we drafted a guy at #1 whose only skill is supposed to be scoring the ball and he struggled scoring the ball so we needed to get a $17mil backup point guard to help him?
Yes.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

j2j wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:27 pm To be clear, we drafted a guy at #1 whose only skill is supposed to be scoring the ball and he struggled scoring the ball so we needed to get a $17mil backup point guard to help him?
He struggled?

Did I fall asleep and miss two months?
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov