Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Hate it or Love it: Jimmy Butler

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
zeitgeist

Re: Hate it or Love it: Jimmy Butler

Post by zeitgeist »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:55 pm butler and miami are a really good, fun team. and i don't buy the notion that butler is only a 2nd or 3rd best player on a good team - he's proving more than that on a team going to the finals. but i resist this constant effort to lay the wreath of success entirely at butler's feet. miami was in a tough game last night - and then stevens decided to use the entire fourth quarter to chuck threes (2 of 15) while playing ultra small ball ensuring that bam would board every clank. stupid stupid game mgmt by a coach i expect better of - and it really didn't have that much to do with jimmy butler, if anything.
Basketball is a team game, of course he has good teammates. Look at what I posted, the evidence is substantial that Jimmy has a big time impact on winning but really, that should have been very clear to most people who watched him play in Minnesota.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

T_J wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:53 pm Serious question, rather have Adebayo or Towns? Throw contracts out.

Also Herro or D-Russ?
If you include contracts, it's the Miami guys for sure. Bam is about to get paid though...

No contracts... I think I got Herro and Towns. But the fact that it's even a debate shows KAT has dropped... and Bam is very much on the rise.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

qrocks wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:24 pm Miami is playing great. Butler is playing very good. People said Miami wouldn't get past Toronto, let alone Boston. I'm cheering for them versus the Lakers.

I'm not sure Miami had an answer for Anthony Davis?

It should be a fun Finals.
They will try to put Bam on Davis I am sure. But if the Lakers put Howard in there.. along with Davis, LeBron... that frontline versus Butler, Crowder and Bam? I don't know...
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
EmeraldAxe

Post by EmeraldAxe »

zeitgeist wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:15 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:55 pm butler and miami are a really good, fun team. and i don't buy the notion that butler is only a 2nd or 3rd best player on a good team - he's proving more than that on a team going to the finals. but i resist this constant effort to lay the wreath of success entirely at butler's feet. miami was in a tough game last night - and then stevens decided to use the entire fourth quarter to chuck threes (2 of 15) while playing ultra small ball ensuring that bam would board every clank. stupid stupid game mgmt by a coach i expect better of - and it really didn't have that much to do with jimmy butler, if anything.
Basketball is a team game, of course he has good teammates. Look at what I posted, the evidence is substantial that Jimmy has a big time impact on winning but really, that should have been very clear to most people who watched him play in Minnesota.
The people here were so harsh on him. Over in purple chat everyone is talking about how cousins has great talent but no competitive fire. Jimmy butler isn't the most talented guy but he is all fire. I saw it when we had him, he was the reason I watched the wolves. Towns is a pansy. There is an ineffable quality about players which I think is hard to recognize if you never played sports. Jimmy had that eye of the tiger and still does and I hope him well. Towns doesn't, cousins doesn't. Send them both out.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:42 pm
More proof of how stupid rubes were during this whole thing even though I spelled it out for them daily with obvious evidence?

No way.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

Thrillkill wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:21 pm
More proof of how stupid rubes were during this whole thing even though I spelled it out for them daily with obvious evidence?

No way.
Just because Butler didn't have a problem with the Wolves resident Gomer Pyle doesn't mean much. Most people have known for a long time that the main feud was between Butler and Towns, that's not news.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

butler got along with wiggins because when they first met, andrew assumed the required position.

There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

zeitgeist wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:18 am

No way.
Just because Butler didn't have a problem with the Wolves resident Gomer Pyle doesn't mean much. Most people have known for a long time that the main feud was between Butler and Towns, that's not news.
:lol: MOST! A WHILE!

Classic rube revisionist history. How about we ask the guy who was right from minute 1 and had to deal with all you Kitty loving morons.

What's that? Did everyone know? Hell no they did not and they fought against all evidence and logic to the point of Rosas level idiocy.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:32 am

No way.

Classic rube revisionist history. How about we ask the guy who was right from minute 1 and had to deal with all you Kitty loving morons.

What's that? Did everyone know? Hell no they did not and they fought against all evidence and logic to the point of Rosas level idiocy.
Just because Butler got along better with Wiggins doesn't justify you moronically favoring him over Towns. Butler was not going to stay here, and even if getting rid of KAT meant that Towns would stay, this team wasn't going very far without him. Miami has some really good talent, it's not like it is here in Minnesota. Towns was easily the second most important player to the Wolves success when we went to the playoffs. People were talking about Butler stealing KAT's girl for a long time, did you forget about that? LOL Yes, it was commonly known that Butler had a problem with Towns, talk about revisionist history, you're the one doing that.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Memphis guard Tyus Jones, a teammate of Butler’s in Minnesota, retweeted a report that Butler had been called “a locker room cancer” on other teams by saying “Called a ‘locker room cancer’ by those who weren’t ever in the locker room lol.” Wolves guard Josh Okogie retweeted Jones.

After Butler’s Heat won the Eastern Conference title, Jones tweeted “Happy for JB! He deserves this!”

Andrew Wiggins was widely viewed as one of Butler’s punching bags in Minnesota. It was no secret that Wiggins’ inconsistent effort bothered Butler, who has never been accused of giving less than 100 percent when he steps on the court.

But don’t let that fool you into thinking Wiggins has any ill will toward Butler. Quite the opposite. Wiggins told Golden State Warriors reporters this week that he’s rooting for Miami in these playoffs.

“Jimmy, he was a great teammate. An ultimate competitor. What he’s brought over there, you know, to bring those guys to the Finals, it’s a serious accomplishment,” Wiggins said. “He brings the best out of people. He’s going to put that battery in your bag, and you’re going to go. You can see what he’s doing to all the young guys, how all their games are elevated. That’s something Jimmy brings to the table.”

Those are the same types of things Wiggins was saying when Butler was traded, immediately after which he told Philadelphia center Joel Embiid he was going to “love” having Butler as a teammate. Wiggins said a lot of Timberwolves players at the time, including himself, wanted Butler to stay.

“I learned a lot from him,” Wiggins said, “and I was still learning.”

If so many felt that way, where did Butler’s bad reputation — that “locker room cancer” tag — come from?

“I feel like that was from certain people who couldn’t handle certain situations,” Wiggins told reporters this week. “I feel like the majority of people, even including me, we loved playing with Jimmy.”

Guessing who those “certain people” within the organization were would be pure speculation. But the fact remains the Wolves didn’t give up on Butler, he gave up on them.
https://www.twincities.com/2020/09/29/j ... e-see-why/
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

zeitgeist wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:51 pm

Just because Butler got along better with Wiggins doesn't justify you moronically favoring him over Towns. Butler was not going to stay here, and even if getting rid of KAT meant that Towns would stay, this team wasn't going very far without him. Miami has some really good talent, it's not like it is here in Minnesota. Towns was easily the second most important player to the Wolves success when we went to the playoffs. People were talking about Butler stealing KAT's girl for a long time, did you forget about that? LOL Yes, it was commonly known that Butler had a problem with Towns, talk about revisionist history, you're the one doing that.
So you still want to be a head in the sand clown. Cool. Have fun with that.

Moronically favoring a winner who busts his ass every second with only winning in mind over...........Kitty Kat. :lol: That's what this clown just said rubes. Don;'t be like him.

Buckets in NBA finals. Kittykat on a boat with NBA whore while teammates practice.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:44 pm

Moronically favoring a winner who busts his ass every second with only winning in mind over...........Kitty Kat. :lol: That's what this clown just said rubes. Don;'t be like him.

Buckets in NBA finals. Kittykat on a boat with NBA whore while teammates practice.
This.

Can't wait for the Jodaman comments "told you buckets sucks he lost in the finals" :lol:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

You favored Wiggins over Towns as a talent, that is the moronic thing you did. I was leading the Butler bandwagon while you were stuck thinking Anthony Bennett was out long term solution at power forward, stay small.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

zeitgeist wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:24 pm

You favored Wiggins over Towns as a talent, that is the moronic thing you did. I was leading the Butler bandwagon while you were stuck thinking Anthony Bennett was out long term solution at power forward, stay small.
Umm..........MAKE UP SHIT FAST!

Now go on trip to YO...........SUH.........MIGHT? YO ...................SUH..........MIGHT?

Leading the Butler bandwagon the best! The best. Favoring Butler over Towns is moronic...............I lead Butler bandwagon though..........the best.

Fucking embarrassing how you can't just admit your failings and just triple down on stupidity. Claim that thinking Butler is better than Towns is now a Wigs vs Town argument, is some pansy ass running. Or is it Towns vs Towns? Can't tell by your panicked in a corner writing.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:38 pm

Now go on trip to YO...........SUH.........MIGHT? YO ...................SUH..........MIGHT?

Leading the Butler bandwagon the best! The best. Favoring Butler over Towns is moronic...............I lead Butler bandwagon though..........the best.

Fucking embarrassing how you can't just admit your failings and just triple down on stupidity. Claim that thinking Butler is better than Towns is now a Wigs vs Town argument, is some pansy ass running. Or is it Towns vs Towns? Can't tell by your panicked in a corner writing.
Are you drunk? You sound drunk.

I've consistently said that Butler is better than Towns. I've also always said Towns is better than Wiggins, you've had some trouble working that one out though. If you need help evaluating and understanding basketball in the future, just let me know.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

zeitgeist wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:07 pm

I've consistently said that Butler is better than Towns. I've also always said Towns is better than Wiggins, you've had some trouble working that one out though. If you need help evaluating and understanding basketball in the future, just let me know.
You didn't say he was better than Towns when he was here. You didn't say trading him instead of Towns was a mistake. You also didn't say Butler's beef was 100% Towns and Taylor not Wiggins. Know how I know? Because I was the only one.

And claiming I ever said Wigs was better than Towns is just ludicrous. I've said he's more clutch. I've said he's a better defender. I've said I'd rather trade Towns because of the return. That is not the same thing.

And I would trade Towns right now to GS for Wigs, Paschal, #2 and our 1st back and do a flip.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:09 pm

You didn't say he was better than Towns when he was here. You didn't say trading him instead of Towns was a mistake. You also didn't say Butler's beef was 100% Towns and Taylor not Wiggins. Know how I know? Because I was the only one.

And claiming I ever said Wigs was better than Towns is just ludicrous. I've said he's more clutch. I've said he's a better defender. I've said I'd rather trade Towns because of the return. That is not the same thing.

And I would trade Towns right now to GS for Wigs, Paschal, #2 and our 1st back and do a flip.
Are you serious? I was calling Butler a borderline top 5 player in the NBA. I know that I had also said and thought that not only was Butler better than Towns but that he was probably more valuable to our offense let alone our defense.

You're trying to construct a narrative that the only reason that Butler wanted to leave Minnesota was because of Towns but there's no real evidence of that. The player he mainly had a problem with was Towns, that doesn't mean he would have loved to play in Minnesota otherwise. Further, this false dilemma of trading Towns or Butler is exactly that, false. Towns wasn't going to be traded and Butler was probably not going to stay even if we did trade Towns and regardless of all of that, Towns was still easily the second best player on that playoff team and did play an important role. Butler is not carrying Miami now, he's the best player but they have a damned good roster and a good coach.
Style

Post by Style »

zeitgeist wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:46 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:09 pm

Are you serious? I was calling Butler a borderline top 5 player in the NBA. I know that I had also said and thought that not only was Butler better than Towns but that he was probably more valuable to our offense let alone our defense.

You're trying to construct a narrative that the only reason that Butler wanted to leave Minnesota was because of Towns but there's no real evidence of that. The player he mainly had a problem with was Towns, that doesn't mean he would have loved to play in Minnesota otherwise. Further, this false dilemma of trading Towns or Butler is exactly that, false. Towns wasn't going to be traded and Butler was probably not going to stay even if we did trade Towns and regardless of all of that, Towns was still easily the second best player on that playoff team and did play an important role. Butler is not carrying Miami now, he's the best player but they have a damned good roster and a good coach.
Different thread, but whatever. I don’t remember the original thread. You were right, people (joda for sure) actually were dogging Butler’s basketball ability. I always thought most of the heat (pun definitely intended) thrown his way was strictly trade related. Yikes.

Anyway, I’m eating my crow. I don’t know how, but I am. Haha

:thumbsup:
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm trying to figure out how taking a public dump on a coach who bent over backwards to accommodate you - and leaving your team in the lurch - is considered reprehensible slimeball behaviour in one case (james wiseman and penny hardaway) - but in another case, it's a perfectly justifiable move (jimmy butler and thibs). i guess the difference is whether you like the player or not.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Style

Post by Style »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:36 pm i'm trying to figure out how taking a public dump on a coach who bent over backwards to accommodate you - and leaving your team in the lurch - is considered reprehensible slimeball behaviour in one case (james wiseman and penny hardaway) - but in another case, it's a perfectly justifiable move (jimmy butler and thibs). i guess the difference is whether you like the player or not.
Yeah I think the pendulum has swung a bit too far towards Jimmy being this great teammate. The shit he pulled here with that practice doesn’t make for a good teammate in any way, shape, or form. He’s a douche, but a heck of a player.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:36 pm i'm trying to figure out how taking a public dump on a coach who bent over backwards to accommodate you - and leaving your team in the lurch - is considered reprehensible slimeball behaviour in one case (james wiseman and penny hardaway) - but in another case, it's a perfectly justifiable move (jimmy butler and thibs). i guess the difference is whether you like the player or not.
You just gonna ignore all that came before that? He wanted an extension here. HERE. He wanted to play for Thibs and got back doored by Towns and consequently the owner. He then asked for a trade behind the scenes. Well reported he asked Thibs long before and Thibs, rightfully so, tried to fix it. He couldn't and then still wouldn't consider shopping him so Butler pressed the issue. Big shock Taylor quick caved because he didn't want to pay him and his boy Towns wanted him gone.

If you can't see the difference between quitting on a coach who had previously spent his own money to move you and your mom out of a bad situation, then fought and defied the NCAA at the risk of his career and university, and wanting out of a place that won't give you a well earned extension and backs an inferior crybaby who back doors you with the owner I guess you will never figure it out.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Style wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:46 pm
Yeah I think the pendulum has swung a bit too far towards Jimmy being this great teammate. The shit he pulled here with that practice doesn’t make for a good teammate in any way, shape, or form. He’s a douche, but a heck of a player.
That practice was a fuck you to Towns. And everyone knew it, knows it now. A this is the punk you are choosing over me? Good luck. That animal in him is what makes him great and the lack of it is what makes Kitty go to Taylor and say he doesn't like Jimmy. Please get me my circle jerk buddy or I'll be sad.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Fuckit’s is playing his best in the Finals so far, yet is a MINUS player in both games........they lost both by the way. Surprise.... :roll:
Last edited by jodaman01 on Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

butler had a hard time getting them to drop at the rim in game two - i think he was 6 of 12 from point blank range. lots of D being exerted, of course, but for such a powerful player - he was just having an awful time getting layups to go down. i feel like it affected his game a little. how many times in the second half did he get all the way to the hoop, or near the hoop, leave his feet -but then try to dump it off to a teammate - who sometimes weren't expecting the pass cuz, he jimmy, you are right at the rim. maybe he was looking to do too much - set up some threes, idk. but he left a lot of points on the floor where IMO he could have just taken the close and better shot himself. it's not why they lost the game, but it didn't help.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:56 pm butler had a hard time getting them to drop at the rim in game two - i think he was 6 of 12 from point blank range. lots of D being exerted, of course, but for such a powerful player - he was just having an awful time getting layups to go down. i feel like it affected his game a little. how many times in the second half did he get all the way to the hoop, or near the hoop, leave his feet -but then try to dump it off to a teammate - who sometimes weren't expecting the pass cuz, he jimmy, you are right at the rim. maybe he was looking to do too much - set up some threes, idk. but he left a lot of points on the floor where IMO he could have just taken the close and better shot himself. it's not why they lost the game, but it didn't help.
The guy has more often had guys a foot shorter than him covering him....including Walker the last series - 5 to 10 feet from the basket and he is passing out of it instead of attacking......he’s a bitch, and not a PLUS player when his team needs him.

He is who I thought he was!!!

:lol: :lol:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

he had really good numbers in that last loss - 25/8/13. i was just pointing out all the times he chose to pass in the second half rather than just go for the layup himself - and these often didn't result in some of his 13 assists. they wound up being dropped passes or TOs or missed shots by the guys he passed to.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:45 am he had really good numbers in that last loss - 25/8/13. i was just pointing out all the times he chose to pass in the second half rather than just go for the layup himself - and these often didn't result in some of his 13 assists. they wound up being dropped passes or TOs or missed shots by the guys he passed to.
Fuckit’s best game = Hollow #’s, MINUS Player and another LOSS.

If he is your alpha, you ain’t winning. He is just another Cog in a successful machine.....(great 2nd or 3rd wheel) nothing more. Jimmy is bowing down to the King.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

you are creating your own narrative here. (hard to believe, i know). and i'm certainly not the biggest jimmy butler fan in the world. hardly. but he's been without bam and dragic - you don't think that has an overall impact? losing those two - especially bam and what it's meant vs AD - has been like a deathknell for miami. i'll put it this way. switch bron onto miami and butler onto LA. would bron be leading miami to victory in this series? or would the odds be too great - all things considered?
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:12 pm you are creating your own narrative here. (hard to believe, i know). and i'm certainly not the biggest jimmy butler fan in the world. hardly. but he's been without bam and dragic - you don't think that has an overall impact? losing those two - especially bam and what it's meant vs AD - has been like a deathknell for miami. i'll put it this way. switch bron onto miami and butler onto LA. would bron be leading miami to victory in this series? or would the odds be too great - all things considered?
I seem to remember James bringing Cleveland back and beating GSW when they had no business doing so.