Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official Draft Lottery Thread***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Philo Beddoe

Re: ***Official Draft Lottery Thread***

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Think Houston Rockets.

What are the Wolves missing?

A big defender that can get easy buckets when his defender leaves to help with guard.

Wiseman
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:15 pm Think Houston Rockets.

A big defender that can get easy buckets when his defender leaves to help with guard.

Wiseman
Wiseman is the clear #1 pick for this team.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:17 pm

Wiseman
No he is not. Probably the worst fit for the team of the "top 3" prospects.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

3rd star is what wolves need the most. It’s going to
Happen!
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

shoteh wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:12 pm
LordNu wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:56 pm The worst draft to get Number 1! AND WE DID IT!!
I was thinking this since covid. :thinking:
Straight after the Zion draft...
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Trade #1 and rights to Beasley for Booker

Trade #16, Culver for Kevin Love

Towns
Love
Okogie
Booker
Russell
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Trade #1 and rights to Beasley for Booker

Towns
Love
Okogie
Booker
Russell

Think of that defense
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:43 pm Trade #1 and rights to Beasley for Booker

Towns
Love
Okogie
Booker
Russell

Think of that defense
Does this come with a gun and bullet for all Wolves fans?
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

I am not a big fan of Anthony Edwards, but one thing we have going for us: Our assistant coaches.

Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum give David Vanterpool significant credit for their development. D-LO gives Pablo Prigioni a lot of credit for helping him take his game to another level. Edwards is really talented, but has some major flaws that need to be fixed. If he is the pick, do you trust our coaching staff to develop him and break him of his bad habits?

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
shangrila

Post by shangrila »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:56 pm I am not a big fan of Anthony Edwards, but one thing we have going for us: Our assistant coaches.

Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum give David Vanterpool significant credit for their development. D-LO gives Pablo Prigioni a lot of credit for helping him take his game to another level. Edwards is really talented, but has some major flaws that need to be fixed. If he is the pick, do you trust our coaching staff to develop him and break him of his bad habits?

There's precedent.

The issue is the player. Edwards doesn't seem to have that motor and that's not something many, if any, coaches can teach.

I'd rather our coaches help Okongwu develop a shot or improve Deni's defence than try to build Edwards from the ground up.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

shangrila wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:06 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:56 pm I am not a big fan of Anthony Edwards, but one thing we have going for us: Our assistant coaches.

There's precedent.

The issue is the player. Edwards doesn't seem to have that motor and that's not something many, if any, coaches can teach.

I'd rather our coaches help Okongwu develop a shot or improve Deni's defence than try to build Edwards from the ground up.
Wiseman's motor is the same issue, but the comparison of being a Whiteside or Jordan vs Wade or Mitchell, I'm going latter. That being said, I've been an Okongwu fan for a while now. Say Chicago offers Lauri, their pick, and Thad for our pick, JJ, and either our 2nd or a future heavy protected first?

Draft Okongwu....resign Beas, Juancho and Jmac.

Dlo/Jmac/Culver
Beas/Culver
Lawman/Oke
Lauri/Juancho/Naz
KAT/Okongwu/Naz

Dream lineup right there.
Stork311

Post by Stork311 »

Wonderful problem to have. Let’s first realize that

My opinion, figure out trade to move down and still get Toppin.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Stork311 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:36 pm Wonderful problem to have. Let’s first realize that

My opinion, figure out trade to move down and still get Toppin Okongwu.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

Late to celebrate, but WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO@@@@@@@@@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:54 pm
He really isn't the most animated guy, is he.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

LordNu wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:55 pm
Do you want him to build a championship team or do you want to date him?
Style

Post by Style »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:24 am
Both would be ideal, but I’d settle for a date.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Wiseman
a big defender who can get easy buckets - you've just described mitchell robinson. but in my idea, you would also get one of the top SFs in the draft (vassell, okoro or avdija). NYC wouldn't do this? they move their first rounders around all the time. there is big disappointment in NYC this morning - felt by both the team and the fanbase - because of their slide back to 8th. we dangle that overall first and the chance for lamelo? i think they would bite hard. this team is too young for KAT's timeline? mitchell will be entering his third year as a pro - and has worked thru most of the growing pains that we'd experience with wiseman.

both of MN's first rounders in 2020 (1 and 17) - for - mitchell robinson, NYC's 2020 8th overall pick and NYC's 2021 unprotected first rounder.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Stork311 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:36 pm Wonderful problem to have. Let’s first realize that

My opinion, figure out trade to move down and still get Toppin.
I wouldn't mind this at all :beer:
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:09 am

Wiseman
a big defender who can get easy buckets - you've just described mitchell robinson. but in my idea, you would also get one of the top SFs in the draft (vassell, okoro or avdija). NYC wouldn't do this? they move their first rounders around all the time. there is big disappointment in NYC this morning - felt by both the team and the fanbase - because of their slide back to 8th. we dangle that overall first and the chance for lamelo? i think they would bite hard. this team is too young for KAT's timeline? mitchell will be entering his third year as a pro - and has worked thru most of the growing pains that we'd experience with wiseman.

both of MN's first rounders in 2020 (1 and 17) - for - mitchell robinson, NYC's 2020 8th overall pick and NYC's 2021 unprotected first rounder.
Your absolutely delusional. The Knicks will probably suck again no matter who they draft. There is word out of NY that they feel the first 10 in next years loaded draft is better than any player in this draft.

They would never give all that up for Lamelo lol.

I don't think the Knicks would give Mitch and the 8th up alone for #1 and #16
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:09 am

Wiseman

https://dailyknicks.com/2020/04/17/knic ... -robinson/

Knicks made Robinson untouchable when trying to get Anthony Davis but they are going to give him up and what is likely a top pick in nexts years draft that is way better than this years for Ball.

Can't. Make. It. Up.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

what's that financial disclaimer - Past performance is no indication of something? good point about the knicks - however, there may have been other factors in the way of that deal. such as, and they mentioned this in the article you cited, they thought AD was probably going to LA anyway. so why give a message to a young promising player on your roster that he's being dangled in a trade - when, in fact, you thought the trade wasn't a real possibility anyway. trading for the rights to pick ball wouldn't be a "possibility" - it would be in cement because we own those rights. like i said, sarge - positive rays, man, positive rays. sometimes it feels like you've bitten down so hard on that wiseman steak that you can't see the other equally delicious steak (plus really great cheeseburger and french fries) that's available if you just loosen your teeth for a moment on the wiseman cut.

i noticed that you also didn't mention anything about that trail of tears PG list they've been swilling in for the past decade. PG is the most important position on any team - and that's what this trade idea is all about recognizing. and talk about "can't make it up" - you are really implying that the knicks would NOT have included mitchell robinson in a trade for AD if they had had the player and draft capital to pull that off? no way. they just knew the trade wasn't going to happen - so that's the story they give - "MR is untouchable". okay. that's like saying the wolves wouldn't include beasley in a trade for donovan mitchell because malik is "untouchable". you and i both know that, if we were to say something like that, it would only be window dressing to obscure the real reason that trade didn't go down.

as for next year's fantastic draft, i don't buy it. i've been following this shit long enough to know that every current draft is a "weak" one and every following year's draft looks "really strong". the draft this year is weak at the top but very deep. and if the knicks made this trade with us, they'd come from it with three of the top 22 picks this year. enough for ball at 1, a replacement for robinson (oturu, smith, carey, stewart) at 16 - and then the chance at 22 to nab and stash this year's non-lottery player with the highest ceiling, alexsej pokusevski. or they could trade the 16th or 22nd they have to a team who doens't have a first rounder this year in exchange for that team's 2021 first. there are options to explore, man. WE OWN THE TOP PICK IN THE DRAFT!!!

in the end, this should be doable. certainly more doable than prying away a league star. mitchell robinson is a role player - a pretty GOOD role player in a role we need - but no one's inking him onto to any all-star team lineups anytime soon. you know where he ranked in east conference front court player all-star voting this year - that combo formula of fans, players and media? 56th. wedged in there between robin lopez and udonis haslem.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Geez, you don't have to be so harsh. You do realise if you date him you get free tickets to go to games?
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

shangrila

Post by shangrila »

LordNu wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:55 pm

Geez, you don't have to be so harsh. You do realise if you date him you get free tickets to go to games?
What? He's a happily married man.

That makes you the mistress. And mistresses don't show up at work unless shit has hit the fan.
shangrila

Post by shangrila »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:41 am what's that financial disclaimer - Past performance is no indication of something? good point about the knicks - however, there may have been other factors in the way of that deal. such as, and they mentioned this in the article you cited, they thought AD was probably going to LA anyway. so why give a message to a young promising player on your roster that he's being dangled in a trade - when, in fact, you thought the trade wasn't a real possibility anyway. trading for the rights to pick ball wouldn't be a "possibility" - it would be in cement because we own those rights. like i said, sarge - positive rays, man, positive rays. sometimes it feels like you've bitten down so hard on that wiseman steak that you can't see the other equally delicious steak (plus really great cheeseburger and french fries) that's available if you just loosen your teeth for a moment on the wiseman cut.

i noticed that you also didn't mention anything about that trail of tears PG list they've been swilling in for the past decade. PG is the most important position on any team - and that's what this trade idea is all about recognizing. and talk about "can't make it up" - you are really implying that the knicks would NOT have included mitchell robinson in a trade for AD if they had had the player and draft capital to pull that off? no way. they just knew the trade wasn't going to happen - so that's the story they give - "MR is untouchable". okay. that's like saying the wolves wouldn't include beasley in a trade for donovan mitchell because malik is "untouchable". you and i both know that, if we were to say something like that, it would only be window dressing to obscure the real reason that trade didn't go down.

as for next year's fantastic draft, i don't buy it. i've been following this shit long enough to know that every current draft is a "weak" one and every following year's draft looks "really strong". the draft this year is weak at the top but very deep. and if the knicks made this trade with us, they'd come from it with three of the top 22 picks this year. enough for ball at 1, a replacement for robinson (oturu, smith, carey, stewart) at 16 - and then the chance at 22 to nab and stash this year's non-lottery player with the highest ceiling, alexsej pokusevski. or they could trade the 16th or 22nd they have to a team who doens't have a first rounder this year in exchange for that team's 2021 first. there are options to explore, man. WE OWN THE TOP PICK IN THE DRAFT!!!

in the end, this should be doable. certainly more doable than prying away a league star. mitchell robinson is a role player - a pretty GOOD role player in a role we need - but no one's inking him onto to any all-star team lineups anytime soon. you know where he ranked in east conference front court player all-star voting this year - that combo formula of fans, players and media? 56th. wedged in there between robin lopez and udonis haslem.
It's a pipedream, give it up. They're not giving up Robinson to move up. The whole point is to add to their core not break it up.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

shangrila wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:12 am
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:41 am what's that financial disclaimer - Past performance is no indication of something? good point about the knicks - however, there may have been other factors in the way of that deal. such as, and they mentioned this in the article you cited, they thought AD was probably going to LA anyway. so why give a message to a young promising player on your roster that he's being dangled in a trade - when, in fact, you thought the trade wasn't a real possibility anyway. trading for the rights to pick ball wouldn't be a "possibility" - it would be in cement because we own those rights. like i said, sarge - positive rays, man, positive rays. sometimes it feels like you've bitten down so hard on that wiseman steak that you can't see the other equally delicious steak (plus really great cheeseburger and french fries) that's available if you just loosen your teeth for a moment on the wiseman cut.

It's a pipedream, give it up. They're not giving up Robinson to move up. The whole point is to add to their core not break it up.
:lol: He's been on this fantasy for awhile.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:11 am

says the guy who thinks james wiseman will solve all our problems. rosas must identify!!!! christ, how long have we been seeing that in your posts? for a more balanced view of what wiseman has to offer, i suggest the stepien's draft preview of him (among others). they note plenty of holes in both his body and his game. so no, he wouldn't be a great pairing with KAT because neither of them are good at guarding guys on the perimeter. robinson has quicker feet at least - whether or not you think the knicks would trade him. but neither wiseman nor KAT have quick enough feet to handle athletic opponents out in space.

btw, i started with this idea the night of the lottery. froobs have been falling all over themselves about devin booker since early July.

also - NY HAS no core. have you looked at their roster? as they stand, they're on track to be a 20 win club ... forever. ntilikina - meh. smith jr. - fail. knox - fail. portis - no D. randle - scores a lot, no D but overpaid and unable to find a trade partner. taj - too old and morris getting there. harkless and payton - okay backups. dotson? brazdeikis? r.j. barrett IS their core at this point - and HE had a really up and down rookie year that left more questions than answers. you guys think they wouldn't trade a shot blocking role player who scored less than 10 PPG in a little over 20 MPG for the chance to draft their starting point guard for the 2020s - i strongly disagree with that short-sighted take.

finally, poor charley walters - sportswriter for the Pioneer Press. in today's column he has the wolves selecting anthony HARRIS with our first pick. at least we can count on froobsville to get the names right.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:07 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:11 am
says the guy who thinks james wiseman will solve all our problems. rosas must identify!!!! christ, how long have we been seeing that in your posts? for a more balanced view of what wiseman has to offer, i suggest the stepien's draft preview of him (among others). they note plenty of holes in both his body and his game. so no, he wouldn't be a great pairing with KAT because neither of them are good at guarding guys on the perimeter. robinson has quicker feet at least - whether or not you think the knicks would trade him. but neither wiseman nor KAT have quick enough feet to handle athletic opponents out in space.

btw, i started with this idea the night of the lottery. froobs have been falling all over themselves about devin booker since early July.

also - NY HAS no core. have you looked at their roster? as they stand, they're on track to be a 20 win club ... forever. ntilikina - meh. smith jr. - fail. knox - fail. portis - no D. randle - scores a lot, no D but overpaid and unable to find a trade partner. r.j. barrett IS their core at this point - and HE had a really up and down rookie year. you guys think they wouldn't trade a shot blocking role player who scores less than 10 PPG in a little over 20 MPG for the chance to draft their starting point guard for the 2020s - i strongly disagree with that short-sighted take.

finally, poor charley walters - sportswriter for the Pioneer Press. in today's column he has the wolves selecting anthony HARRIS with our first pick. at least we can count on froobsville to get the names right.
It's not a matter of opinion here. It's fine if you don't like Wseman but he is being talked about because he is a option, is he not?

99.9% chance that Mitchell Robinson trade is never even brought up.

Hey, maybe I should spend all day posting how we should bundle #1 with Kat so we can get Luka!

The scenario you are going on about is never going to happen. It's not that I think it's a bad move but it's likely never even going to be talked about between the two teams. It's what us in the biz like to call a "Pipedream"
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master