Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2020 NBA Offseason Preview: Minnesota Timberwolves

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
shoteh

Re: 2020 NBA Offseason Preview: Minnesota Timberwolves

Post by shoteh »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:00 am
KATMANDUDE wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:50 pm
digitalwolf wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:56 pm

He had his moments....some where you're like, damn, this guy has a lot of tools....and then a lot of Kris Dunn like fuck ups on the court. I'd say the latter is just being with a new team, new role, but he does fill a need. However, he also fills a need with his salary....it's hard to fathom him not being dealt if they are really looking hard at adding a bigger 3rd piece then just filling out with the draft. I wouldn't mind if he was our starting PF, but I don't think he has the juice to play that for a whole season, and like you, I'd be surprised if he's not used as filler for a bigger deal.

Couple weeks ago, Rosas was asked about Wolves needs. He mentioned a guy who could defend at a high level at both guard spots. I immediately thought of Kris Dunn, who could be had using the MLE.

Finished the year second in Defensive Box Plus/Minus (to Giannis) and first in Steal Pct.
Boy what a shit sandwich.

That last few days I've read in WC to bring Lolvine back and now Done.

Getting the old band back together for a 35 win season!
Agree, Former wolves are cursed, need new people that may bring in new culture.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:57 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:35 am
Thrillkill wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:02 am
JMac is only a really good defender and a way better 3 shooter than Russell with a way better assist to TO ratio. All he really does is play like his hair is on fire every minute all over the floor at a really efficient rate. Oh, he also makes everyone better with his play and infectious energy.

I can see why everyone "appreciates" him but wants to get rid of him.
but we could use a third PG on the team. that's not unreasonable - and there are going to be some very good ones available at 33. i haven't been big on jones - but have changed my mind. however, seeing as it just came out that he's got a 40" vert (he is not his brother), i don't think he'll last till 33 anymore. but, yeah, a floor general who's 6-3, has pro athleticism and is perhaps the best defensive PG in the draft? it would be a good get. and, yes, i'd have him behind jmac on the depth chart - and probably in iowa quite a bit.
I find it beyond unreasonable to use a 1st round pick on a 3rd PG.

You know full well how much I love this PG crop. Well we just gave up a shit load in assets and are paying a shit load of money for a PG and got 100% lucky to have been forced to play JMac so we could find out he's good;. How could you possibly justify another asset being used at that position?

On paper it will hurt letting 10 of these PG's go. But our path 100% is UDFA. There will be good one's left to develop.
i don't know if anyone has suggested using a first round pick for another PG. but if tre jones was there at 33, we could certainly do worse than adding a 6-3 floor general with nba athleticism and some of the best backcourt D in college ball.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:54 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:35 am

but we could use a third PG on the team. that's not unreasonable - and there are going to be some very good ones available at 33. i haven't been big on jones - but have changed my mind. however, seeing as it just came out that he's got a 40" vert (he is not his brother), i don't think he'll last till 33 anymore. but, yeah, a floor general who's 6-3, has pro athleticism and is perhaps the best defensive PG in the draft? it would be a good get. and, yes, i'd have him behind jmac on the depth chart - and probably in iowa quite a bit.

You know full well how much I love this PG crop. Well we just gave up a shit load in assets and are paying a shit load of money for a PG and got 100% lucky to have been forced to play JMac so we could find out he's good;. How could you possibly justify another asset being used at that position?

On paper it will hurt letting 10 of these PG's go. But our path 100% is UDFA. There will be good one's left to develop.
i don't know if anyone has suggested using a first round pick for another PG. but if tre jones was there at 33, we could certainly do worse than adding a 6-3 floor general with nba athleticism and some of the best backcourt D in college ball.
If we want Tre, it might have to be at 17. He's flying up the boards per something I read somewhere.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

mglviks wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:45 am
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:54 pm

If we want Tre, it might have to be at 17. He's flying up the boards per something I read somewhere.
probably not worth it then - but yeah, ever since he got caught jumping 40", radar is detecting more blips. i was mentioning him in case of a weird draft night slide.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Yeah, fine with spending the 2nd rounder on a pg. Do not want to spend either 1st on one.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Bobby Marks on the New ESPN Insider Free Agency write up said Beasley will command somewhere between 12-14 million per year extension and Jmac is a minimum end of rotation guy.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:10 pm Bobby Marks on the New ESPN Insider Free Agency write up said Beasley will command somewhere between 12-14 million per year extension and Jmac is a minimum end of rotation guy.
I hope both of those remarks are true. I'll gladly pay Beasley 12 mil a year.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

mglviks wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:55 am Yeah, fine with spending the 2nd rounder on a pg. Do not want to spend either 1st on one.
What about the 1st pick in LaMelo Ball?
swenjj

Post by swenjj »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:21 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:10 pm Bobby Marks on the New ESPN Insider Free Agency write up said Beasley will command somewhere between 12-14 million per year extension and Jmac is a minimum end of rotation guy.
I hope both of those remarks are true. I'll gladly pay Beasley 12 mil a year.
I wish free agency was before the draft. Might make a difference on our pick..if we take Edwards will Beasley just wanna leave knowing he isn't the long term starter ?

Just would be nice to know ,I would assume Rosas has an idea though. Can't imagine teams spending big this year anyway..let's hope
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Beasley is a restricted free agent with Bird rights, so basically he'll be here if Latino Heat wants him here. Otherwise he will be used in a sign-and-trade. My opinion is that he will be here regardless of what happens by the end of the draft.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

if 12-14 is correct, here's a list for reference of NBA guards making in that range right now. and given the company, i'd say it looks about right.

jj redick - jordan clarkson - justise winslow - solomon hill - michael kidd-gilchrist - will barton - courtney lee - patty mills - marcus smart - terrence ross - dion waiters - patrick beverley - trevor ariza - cory joseph
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:09 pm if 12-14 is correct, here's a list for reference of NBA guards making in that range right now. and given the company, i'd say it looks about right.

jj redick - jordan clarkson - justise winslow - solomon hill - michael kidd-gilchrist - will barton - courtney lee - patty mills - marcus smart - terrence ross - dion waiters - patrick beverley - trevor ariza - cory joseph
If you get him for 12 to 14 and he’s willing to sign - get it done. At that rate he becomes a guy that offers the Wolves a starter or even a bench player. He also becomes a very tradable asset if and when an opportunity arises to move him in a deal for a bigger fish.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:31 pm
Brickley has a killer KISS tattoo on his right leg. Between him and Russell, they have about 900 hours in the chair combined it looks like.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

I see Vegas has GSW as the third favorite to win the championship next year. Just another team likely to jump into the playoff picture.

A conservative outlook of 8 teams that I would place above the Wolves in the West...Lakers, Clips, Nugs, Warriors, Jazz, Mavs, Rockets, Blazers.

other teams I would put ahead of the Wolves, but some could debate they arent...Thunder, Grizz, Suns.

Teams that I think the Wolves could possibly pass...Spurs, Kings, Pelicans.

Theres a lot that can change between now and next season...but theres a whole shit load that needs to change, not just for the Wolves, but the whole conference for the Wolves to get anywhere the top 8.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Which is what a lot of us expected, $13mil a season, 3-4 years.