Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Booker Unhappy with Suns

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Would you trade Wolves top 3 pick, Beasley, and Culver for Booker?

Yes, do it and form our big 3
63%
No, we still can’t play defense
37%

Total votes: 41

SHAFA

Re: Booker Unhappy with Suns

Post by SHAFA »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:25 am And the people who say resign Beasley and add other pieces.. with what money? You'd be capped out anyways...
I don't know about anyone else, but I wasn't talking about big moves in free agency. We've got two shots within, what, the Top 15 this year? That's where I was referring to adding depth.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:10 am
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:00 am working to build a core of KAT/dlo/booker makes about as much sense as building a team with alex english/amare stoudamire/george gervin as your core. it goes nowhere. (only that's a superior three to what we'd be looking at.)
Nowhere? I don't believe that... catch a right break or two and it could go somewhere special. They are best friends... and all want to win.
refer to my comments about D in a post on the previous page. none of these guys play D - and if you look at successful winning max players, now and in the past, the great great majority of them are/were two way players - either good or great defensively to go along with their offensive skills. we want to have THREE guys who are all O and no D - and we want to pay them $90M/yr because.....this has been a winning formula anytime in the nba ever?!?!?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:00 am working to build a core of KAT/dlo/booker makes about as much sense as building a team with alex english/amare stoudamire/george gervin as your core. it goes nowhere. (only that's a superior three to what we'd be looking at.)
Nowhere? I don't believe that... catch a right break or two and it could go somewhere special. They are best friends... and all want to win.
Hmmm, I'm not so sure I've witnessed that.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:56 am
If you think KAT is a fraud, by all means.... believe that. I think he wants to win. Russell led a decent Brooklyn team a year ago to the playoffs.

Keep doubting!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:51 am
refer to my comments about D in a post on the previous page. none of these guys play D - and if you look at successful winning max players, now and in the past, the great great majority of them are/were two way players - either good or great defensively to go along with their offensive skills. we want to have THREE guys who are all O and no D - and we want to pay them $90M/yr because.....this has been a winning formula anytime in the nba ever?!?!?
Defense is effort and talking.. put in the right guys around those three... it's harder to find the dynamic offensive player versus a defensive stopper who fits a system where he can set screens on offense, maybe make some open shots and work his ass off on defense.

Wiggins and KAT are "terrible defenders" yet the defensive rating with a 38 or 39 year old KG, Rubio and Tayshaun Prince were pretty good... weird.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

and who are we surrounding THREE guys with - who are the other two who will equal the defensive saavy and impact of KG, prince and rubio? that ain't happening. i'm just saying - you're expecting these three to change their stripes and become good defenders. that's a solid argument ... when you've got first and second year players. but KAT/dlo/booker have combined to play over 1000 nba games - with no D in sight. they are what they are at this point. people keep wanting these cats to be something they aren't.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:33 am
Oriole81 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:56 am

If you think KAT is a fraud, by all means.... believe that. I think he wants to win. Russell led a decent Brooklyn team a year ago to the playoffs.

Keep doubting!
I wouldn't say fraud per se. I think he wants to win, I just don't think his actions always demonstrate that.
Here's an interesting article I found...

"As the Wolves gear up for next season, there is one glaring improvement that they must make if they want to become a playoff team: KAT needs to play defense.

Towns currently ranks 405 of 513 players in NBA.com'sdefensive win shares, and has an awful 115.4 defensive rating. That means a starting lineup of five Towns would yield 115 points to any opponent. The Wolves are actually a minus 2.2 points per 100 possessions with KAT on the court, according to Basketball-Reference.

The numbers get even worse, as Towns averages 3.3 turnovers per game and opponents average 11.8 points off of turnovers against Minnesota, and he rarely hustles on defense. After some turnovers, the Wolves are essentially stuck playing five-on-four. Opponents also average 8.9 second-chance points and 8.6 points off fast breaks.

It has happened on several occasions over the course of the season where KAT is the last person to cross the half-court line on offense. He is passed the ball at the top of the key and hoists up a long-distance shot, misses badly, and the defense rebounds the ball and goes on a fast break. All too often, KAT jogs down to be the last person on the other side of the court.

Also, KAT is towards the bottom in the league giving up 35 points in the paint per game. There is no reason for teams to take perimeter shots against the Wolves. They can simply take the ball to the basket and they're almost guaranteed to score. How can a 6-foot-11 franchise player allow so many easy buckets?
"

https://dunkingwithwolves.com/2020/03/0 ... e-defense/

In my opinion, that's not somebody that wants to win.
I will say that defense is a learned skill just like any other in basketball, so it is something that KAT can get better at if he wants to. The important part being, he has to want to.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I'd rather have Beasley, our pick, and Culver than Booker
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
swenjj

Post by swenjj »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:29 pm I'd rather have Beasley, our pick, and Culver than Booker
Dlo, Beasley,Culver, okongwu,towns..
Or
Dlo,Booker,okogie,juancho,towns

I like the first.. and still have the Brooklyn pick and probably more cap flexibility.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

swenjj wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:15 pm
Philo Beddoe wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:29 pm I'd rather have Beasley, our pick, and Culver than Booker
Or

I like the first.. and still have the Brooklyn pick and probably more cap flexibility.
this.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I'd still really want to see that side.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:29 pm
swenjj wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:15 pm
Or

this.
Booker is so very much the best player in that trade.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

People are like, where are we going to find two defensive players?

We already have Okogie.

You need one more defensive big.

Put a defensive big and Okogie next to those three and LET’S GO!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:18 pm Image
Well, it’s clearly an above-average 3. And that’s a lot better than what we usually get.

But nobody’s going to forget about Michael, Scottie, and Dennis. Or James, Wade, and Bosh. Or Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili. Or Durant, Curry, and Thompson. Or KG, Pierce, and Allen. Etc...

But it beats the hell out of Al Jefferson, Darko Milicic, and Ryan Gomez. So let’s go!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:18 pm Image
Get KG in on ownership, put these three together and become the talk of the NBA!!

New Era Of Wolves Basketball!!

LET’S GO!!

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

thinktank wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:40 pm People are like, where are we going to find two defensive players?

We already have Okogie.

BINGO!!

They make it sound like this is some type of rocket science. Put these three together and the job of the GM becomes the job that every GM dreams of.

Yeezy_Musk

Post by Yeezy_Musk »

Kat 0 iq
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

jodaman01 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:58 pm
thinktank wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:40 pm People are like, where are we going to find two defensive players?

We already have Okogie.

BINGO!!

They make it sound like this is some type of rocket science. Put these three together and the job of the GM becomes the job that every GM dreams of.

god joda, you can't let it go can you. put two defensive players - one okogie, who's maybe a fringe nba starter on his best days - with those three and you still have 3 really bad defensive players. defense is only as good as the weak link in the chain. we'd have 3 weak links - and you somehow think two good defenders would solve everything. god help me.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:33 pm

We already have Okogie.

BINGO!!

god joda, you can't let it go can you. put two defensive players - one okogie, who's maybe a fringe nba starter on his best days - with those three and you still have 3 really bad defensive players. defense is only as good as the weak link in the chain. we'd have 3 weak links - and you somehow think two good defenders would solve everything. god help me.
You underestimate the value of a dedicated rim protector. KAT becomes the weak side big, which is ok, actually.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:33 pm

We already have Okogie.

BINGO!!

Wake up and quit fighting it. With KAT, DLO and Beasley you have the same defensive issues, but with what IMO is inferior offensive talent.

I believe you are somehow of the belief that Culver is some magic answer that if kept that somehow makes KAT, DLO and Beasley a defensive juggernaut along with some rookie they draft at PF. There is no guarantee that Rosas will go PF with the pick and no guarantee that rookie is worth a shit at the NBA level, and you know that.....then what??? Nothing good.

I don’t believe Booker is going anywhere, he is the Suns best player and I don’t see why they would let him go. It’s fun to dream if the opportunity presents itself.

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

okay. but if it's fun to dream and speculate, then let's focus our energy on anthony davis, okay?
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:55 pm okay. but if it's fun to dream and speculate, then let's focus our energy on anthony davis, okay?
Or better yet, KAT fusing with Hakeem Olujawon.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

that could work too. and then that he also acquires the the superpower to fly. i like where this is going.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:56 am that could work too. and then that he also acquires the the superpower to fly. i like where this is going.
And so Space Jam 2 finally became a reality, but this time it was set in the Star Wars Universe.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think thanos could make a good PF. are you with me?
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:45 pm i think thanos could make a good PF. are you with me?
Ooooo the universe crossover!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

LordNu wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:47 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:45 pm i think thanos could make a good PF. are you with me?
Ooooo the universe crossover!
i mean, i think he could maybe handle zion down low. he'd have a good chance at least.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

The Rhino?
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!