Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Draft LaMelo Ball

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Do You Want the Wolves to Draft LaMelo with the Top 3 Pick?

Yes, he has incredible skill and ceiling
35%
No, he's overrated like his brothers and his dad is a nightmare
65%

Total votes: 46

RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Draft LaMelo Ball

Post by RubeTube »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:01 pm I don't think he's a fit for this team. I don't think he'll ever shoot well enough and he's another guy who doesn't care about defense, and isn't strong enough yet regardless. He is an elite playmaker.
Sup dude.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:01 pm I don't think he's a fit for this team. I don't think he'll ever shoot well enough and he's another guy who doesn't care about defense, and isn't strong enough yet regardless. He is an elite playmaker.
Terrible fit for the roster. But definitely not a "doesn't care about D" guy yet. Didn't play much early but was much better and a big steals guy later. His brother is an excellent defender. He can be too. But zero reason to take the chance having 2 proven defensive chumps in Russell and Towns.

My fear is the idiot sees him as his Harden.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:23 am
Sup dude.
What’s up rube. Ready for another season of rube fantasy football? I’m assuming it’s still going
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:53 pm
Sup dude.
What’s up rube. Ready for another season of rube fantasy football? I’m assuming it’s still going
Yes. Haven't seen you post in a long time.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:55 pm

Sup dude.
Dealt with serious family health issues for awhile. Hopefully I’ll post more regularly. Although I expect Wolves news to be sparse for the next 3 months.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:23 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:55 pm

Dealt with serious family health issues for awhile. Hopefully I’ll post more regularly. Although I expect Wolves news to be sparse for the next 3 months.
Hope all is well. :beer:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Silversword

Post by Silversword »

Silversword wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:03 am
j2j wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:52 am
Silversword wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:46 am

He's not dumb. If he were dumb and obsessed with highlight plays, he wouldn't have had a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio playing in the NBL as an 18yo (btw, he's still just 18yo - has an August birthday). Yes, he put up bad shooting numbers playing in a man's league, but he also shot 83% from the FT line, which is a good indicator of his shooting ability. And yes, he needs to stop taking pull-up threes from 28' and floaters from behind the FT line, but those are coach-able. And yes, he has to change his shot mechanics but his high FT% is proof he has the hand-eye coordination to be a good shooter in the NBA.
72% from the FT line.
DOH! Thanks for correcting me, j2j - I know I got 83% from somewhere. Damm it frustrates me when scouting reports mis-state numbers. I see that he was also a low 70's FT shooter at Spire, so I'll take back what I said about him having proven high shooting ability, which might drop my grade on him a bit. I'll stand by him not being dumb though. And I still think he has a high ceiling and a high floor.
I came across the article - er video - that mentions Lamelo Ball's 83% FT% yesterday. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d3MNxZ07Ic. It's a Mike Schmitz of ESPN video breakdown of what makes him a potential #1 pick. At the 7:50 mark, Schmitz mentions that Ball is an 83% FT shooter on 230 career attempts. Given the high number, he's clearly speaking to his high school and NBL careers combined. This reinforces for me that Ball has the potential to be a very good shooter in the NBA. I recommend this video to anyone who is on the fence over Ball. To me, Ball is the clear-cut #1 player in the 2020 draft and the Wolves should absolutely draft him if he's on the board when we pick. He'll likely have growing pains as a rookie (shooting form, shot selection, defensive decision-making) but he should be an absolute stud by the end of his rookie contract.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Silversword wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:25 am
Silversword wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:03 am
j2j wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:52 am

72% from the FT line.
DOH! Thanks for correcting me, j2j - I know I got 83% from somewhere. Damm it frustrates me when scouting reports mis-state numbers. I see that he was also a low 70's FT shooter at Spire, so I'll take back what I said about him having proven high shooting ability, which might drop my grade on him a bit. I'll stand by him not being dumb though. And I still think he has a high ceiling and a high floor.
I came across the article - er video - that mentions Lamelo Ball's 83% FT% yesterday. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d3MNxZ07Ic. It's a Mike Schmitz of ESPN video breakdown of what makes him a potential #1 pick. At the 7:50 mark, Schmitz mentions that Ball is an 83% FT shooter on 230 career attempts. Given the high number, he's clearly speaking to his high school and NBL careers combined. This reinforces for me that Ball has the potential to be a very good shooter in the NBA. I recommend this video to anyone who is on the fence over Ball. To me, Ball is the clear-cut #1 player in the 2020 draft and the Wolves should absolutely draft him if he's on the board when we pick. He'll likely have growing pains as a rookie (shooting form, shot selection, defensive decision-making) but he should be an absolute stud by the end of his rookie contract.
No way I would have him as #1. Obviously even lower for us.

But I'll give you this. I do think he has the highest upside. And that's because to me upside is either fixing a weakness or becoming elite at something. It is so very rare that guys at the top of the draft do more than that. I look at his brother and do not see his body or defense as being weaknesses. He will fill out and he is a very long and good steals guy. And the way those brothers compete no way he doesn't become a good defender the way his brothers are. It is all shooting for him. He hits and draws FT's. He is a creative finisher and such a good passer off the bounce you can't just attack him on the drive. He will be very good if he just has good shot selection and doesn't improve. If he gets really solid he will be a star. If he is shot happy and not better he will be a sideshow and nothing more.

If we hadn't traded for Russell I'd be all over taking him though.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Lamelo is number 1 on Draft Express board
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

It could be an absolute train-wreck but it could also be a hell of an entertaining one.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

If we draft Ball and he becomes a superstar, he will be a Laker by his 5th year in the league. Book it.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:21 pm Image
RC3

Post by RC3 »

No. Lol
reddish?

I will have my vengeance.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:21 pm Image
Tuck your damn jersey in, Jordan Bell.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I can't stand his dad so much I don't want him on the Wolves.

However, this kid has had a target on his back from day one and he has bulled through it all.
j2j

Post by j2j »

j2j wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:34 am He might have the highest ceiling in the draft, but hes also the most likely to bust super hard. No thanks on the circus.
We're supposed to be happy we got the #1 pick. Ugh...
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Fuck it.

Let's get LaVar Ball's ass to the Target Center@@!
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Wall of Sound

Post by Wall of Sound »

Rubio with a bad additude

And if he blows up with the wolves hes gone
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:36 pm
SHAFA wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:04 pm See? Did I call that or what? Dude wants a fuckin Russell-Ball backcourt.

My god.
Jon K Athletc said last month on his podcast Rosas is a big fan of Lamelo.

Can’t wait for your tears on draft night again noob.
Is this your new boyfriend Unfadeable? Now that Wiggins left you, you've already found a new boi toy to make us all learn the game? Good lord dude.

For the record, I am onboard with drafting 'Melo with the #1 pick if we can't trade it. It's really now or never to build something with KAT and D-Lo, and this kid's talent is undeniable. If he's gone after his rookie contract that's fine. At least the Wolves took a chance and are fun to watch again.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Two major reasons to want nothing to do with Ball.

1) Fade wants him.
2) His dad is a jackass. Keep him far, far away from here.
Let's get Tropical
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Ball wants nothing to do with Minnesota. He will force his way out as soon as he can.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I actually hope his dad comes out and says they don't want Minnesota to draft him
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Remember when Steph Curry’s dad Dell Curry told the wolves not
to draft his son and a David Kahn listened.

Don’t be like David Kahn you noobs!!! Take the best talent available and he is the best this year.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:53 pm Remember when Steph Curry’s dad Dell Curry told the wolves not
to draft his son and a David Kahn listened.

Don’t be like David Kahn you noobs!!! Take the best talent available and he is the best this year.
Wiseman!!!
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:05 pm
This guy would fit in perfectly with our soft as baby turds squad.

Who can slack and whine more? Boogie Towns or LaJello Balls?

Wiseman in 2020!
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Lamelo is legit. He's gotta be the pick. Wolves dead last in attendance and marketability. He's got the skills to back it up.
Last edited by UnFadeable21 on Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.