Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Draft LaMelo Ball

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Do You Want the Wolves to Draft LaMelo with the Top 3 Pick?

Yes, he has incredible skill and ceiling
35%
No, he's overrated like his brothers and his dad is a nightmare
65%

Total votes: 46

RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Draft LaMelo Ball

Post by RubeTube »

Dubs wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:02 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:20 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:29 pm DLo at the 1, Lamelo at the 2

DLo 6’4
Lamelo 6’7
wee lil twink SG darius garland is 5 inches shorter than lamelo - but outweighs him by ELEVEN pounds. anthony edwards is shorter by 2 inches - but outweighs lamelo by FORTY FIVE pounds. until he puts on substantial weight, he is going to get so inhumanly abused in the nba. think of it. he's about an inch shorter than wiggins - but wiggins outweighs him by 20. wiggins!
He’s the same size as Jarrett Culver & Tony Snell...
So let's say this twink can play, what the hell are we doing with Beasley? We just dealt a 1st rounder for him.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

How badly has the NBA game evolved and the talent to be looking at LaChello Balls as a lottery pick.

Ish.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

If we didn’t trade for dlo I’d be all for this. Not sure where all the hate is coming from (other than potentially having to deal with his pops), this kid is going to be a good to great player in this league for a long time. His fit just doesn’t make any sense on this roster.

Wiseman or the kid from USC should be our only options if we keep the pick
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

SKOLMN wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:20 pm If we didn’t trade for dlo I’d be all for this. Not sure where all the hate is coming from (other than potentially having to deal with his pops), this kid is going to be a good to great player in this league for a long time. His fit just doesn’t make any sense on this roster.

Wiseman!!! Wiseman!! Wiseman!!
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:29 pm DLo at the 1, Lamelo at the 2

DLo 6’4
Lamelo 6’7
wee lil twink SG darius garland is 5 inches shorter than lamelo - but outweighs him by ELEVEN pounds. anthony edwards is shorter by 2 inches - but outweighs lamelo by FORTY FIVE pounds. until he puts on substantial weight, he is going to get so inhumanly abused in the nba. think of it. he's about an inch shorter than wiggins - but wiggins outweighs him by 20. wiggins!
where are you guys coming up with these numbers? we must have different brands of laptops or something. tony snell is listed a number of places as 6-6 213 lbs. that's an inch shorter than lamelo is usually listed and a full 33 lbs heavier than the 180 i see posted for lamelo wherever i see his weight listed. culver is listed at 195 - that's 15 lbs heavier. what am i missing?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
j2j

Post by j2j »

He might have the highest ceiling in the draft, but hes also the most likely to bust super hard. No thanks on the circus.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

j2j wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:34 am He might have the highest ceiling in the draft, but hes also the most likely to bust super hard. No thanks on the circus.
Wiseman!! Wiseman!! Wiseman!! It ain't LaChello Balls, FOLKS.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Silversword

Post by Silversword »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:26 pm
Silversword wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:02 pm I was planning to wait until post lottery to chime in on Ball, but since the topic was posted, I'll weigh in now. If I were the Wolves, I would have Ball at #2 on my big board - after Anthony Edwards. Ball has a higher ceiling than Edwards, but Edwards is a better fit with the Wolves and will make us better right away so I give him a slight nod of Lamelo. But if Edwards is off the board, I wouldn't hesitate to draft Ball. The key is to see him not as a PG, but as someone who, at 6'7", can play 1-3 on both ends of the court. There are no rules against having two distributors on a team - in fact, having two distributors who can also be 20ppg scorers is a good thing - it makes us harder to defend.

And Lemelo is going to be a special player - he has that 'IT' factor to his game. If you haven't watched his highlights, do yourself a favor and watch him. Watch his NBL highlights and keep in mind that he's 18 years old playing against grown men in one of the best basketball leagues in the world. Watch enough of him and it's clear that he has elite vision and elite passing skills to go with very good ball-handling and a good shot. There are negatives to his game - his form will need to be re-worked, his decision making on both ends of the court needs work, and he needs to put on about 20-25 lbs - but I'm not worried about any of those issues long term. He's already a good shooter (83%FT), a good scorer, and he can shoot the NBA 3. He has basically the same body as his brothers, so he's going to fill out like they have. He has good athleticism and quick feet. And his decision-making is bound to improve as he matures given his high BB IQ. Most importantly - as I wrote above, he has an 'IT' factor to him. He just looks like a special player... the kind of player you can build a championship team around. Oh, and one more thing - this kid is F-U-N to watch. He is going to pack the house every night. I WILL renew my season ticket package to watch this kid.

I'd say the biggest downside to drafting him is that he might want to play in the big city, so he may not sign a second contract. But, I'm not worried about that right now - I'm thinking only of the 3-4 years of absolute joy it'll be to follow the Wolves.

Bottom line, I'd be thrilled to add Lamelo to this roster. Bring him off the bench at the 1, 2 or 3 until he's ready to start, and then slide him into either the 2 or 3 and build an offense that takes advantage of having two high end distributors who can both score.

what do you mean, he's going to fill out like his brothers? this is a thing? i'm 6-4 and went (for most of my life) 170. (now i'm kind of fat. that's a story for another time.) but anyway, my brother - same mom and dad - has been 5-9 230 most of his life. genetics are all screwy, man. never assume.

also - we absolutely should worry about that second contract. rookies don't have to sign on for five years. if the worry out of the gate is that he'll want out so he can go to a bigger market, EXPECT that he'll sign a shorter deal to make that happen. i want no part of a top three pick who intends to be living out of his suitcase. by the time he's good enough to start (as you yourself conceded), he'll be gone.
Good points Yummy. I'll restate my analysis to say that he's likely to fill out like his brothers have. And I'd be willing to draft him despite us being a small market because I don't think it's a given that he leaves after his rookie contract. I think he, DLO, Beas and KAT can form a modern-day showtime offense and that might get him into a second contract. To me, there's enough separating him and the other players in this draft that I'd be willing to accept the risks. I think he has superstar potential... and I like the odds of him reaching his potential.
Last edited by Silversword on Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silversword

Post by Silversword »

j2j wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:34 am He might have the highest ceiling in the draft, but hes also the most likely to bust super hard. No thanks on the circus.
I disagree j2j. He already has all the tools to be a good NBA player and he showcased them as an 18yo playing in one of the best leagues in the world. I don't think any other 18yo's have played the number of minutes or put up the numbers he did in the NBL. That experience is strong evidence that he'll be at least a solid pro. But, it's his uber-high ceiling that excites me.

A few months ago when I started my draft analysis, I basically wrote Lamelo off - assuming he was an over-hyped Lonzo clone who came with 'Lavar' baggage. Then I started researching him and - oh my goodness - have I changed my mind. I've already posted earlier in this thread what I like about him, so I'll just add a comp for you:

Comparing him to Lonzo (who had a really nice season for NO this year) - he's an inch taller and has the same frame, he has about the same athleticism (average NBA athleticism but quick first step), he's a better playmaker (think elite... maybe historically elite), and he's a better shooter and scorer (likely 20ppg+ scorer). Lonzo is a game manager. Lamelo is a headliner.
Last edited by Silversword on Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Silversword wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:20 am
I disagree. He already has all the tools to be a good NBA player and he showcased them as an 18yo playing in one of the best leagues in the world. I don't think any other 18yo's have played the number of minutes or put up the numbers he did in the NBL. That experience is strong evidence that he'll be at least a solid pro. But, it's his uber-high ceiling that excites me.

A few months ago when I started my draft analysis, I basically wrote Lamelo off - assuming he was an over-hyped Lonzo clone who came with 'Lavar' baggage. Then I started researching him and - oh my goodness - have I changed my mind. I've already posted earlier in this thread what I like about him, so I'll just add a comp for you:

Comparing him to Lonzo (who had a really nice season for NO this year) - he's an inch taller and has the same frame, he has about the same athleticism (average NBA athleticism but quick first step), he's a better playmaker (think elite... maybe historically elite), and he's a better shooter and scorer (likely 20ppg+ scorer).
In the 12 games he played in Australia he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. 38/25/72.

But while I agree he does have a super high ceiling because theres a star quality to his game that if he ever learned how to shoot and improved his shot selection he could be really good...

I just think he has the highest bust potential because he's dumber than a rock, cars more about highlight plays than winning plays, and brings the whole damn circus to town. I see him just as much under a bridge doing meth as I do an NBA all star. He'll either be a stud or out of the league in 5 years. There wont be any in between with that kid.

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Preferably you trade out of the situation.
Silversword

Post by Silversword »

j2j wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:28 am
In the 12 games he played in Australia he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. 38/25/72.

But while I agree he does have a super high ceiling because theres a star quality to his game that if he ever learned how to shoot and improved his shot selection he could be really good...

I just think he has the highest bust potential because he's dumber than a rock, cars more about highlight plays than winning plays, and brings the whole damn circus to town. I see him just as much under a bridge doing meth as I do an NBA all star. He'll either be a stud or out of the league in 5 years. There wont be any in between with that kid.
He's not dumb. If he were dumb and obsessed with highlight plays, he wouldn't have had a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio playing in the NBL as an 18yo (btw, he's still just 18yo - has an August birthday). Yes, he put up bad shooting numbers playing in a man's league, but he also shot 83% from the FT line, which is a good indicator of his shooting ability. And yes, he needs to stop taking pull-up threes from 28' and floaters from behind the FT line, but those are coach-able. And yes, he has to change his shot mechanics but his high FT% is proof he has the hand-eye coordination to be a good shooter in the NBA.

Nice insight into his drug-habit, j2j. I wasn't aware that he was a meth-head, so appreciate you pointing that out. You should report that to the media and law enforcement!
j2j

Post by j2j »

Silversword wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:46 am

He's not dumb. If he were dumb and obsessed with highlight plays, he wouldn't have had a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio playing in the NBL as an 18yo (btw, he's still just 18yo - has an August birthday). Yes, he put up bad shooting numbers playing in a man's league, but he also shot 83% from the FT line, which is a good indicator of his shooting ability. And yes, he needs to stop taking pull-up threes from 28' and floaters from behind the FT line, but those are coach-able. And yes, he has to change his shot mechanics but his high FT% is proof he has the hand-eye coordination to be a good shooter in the NBA.

Nice insight into his drug-habit, j2j. I wasn't aware that he was a meth-head, so appreciate you pointing that out. You should report that to the media and law enforcement!
72% from the FT line.

Silversword

Post by Silversword »

j2j wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:52 am
Silversword wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:46 am

72% from the FT line.
DOH! Thanks for correcting me, j2j - I know I got 83% from somewhere. Damm it frustrates me when scouting reports mis-state numbers. I see that he was also a low 70's FT shooter at Spire, so I'll take back what I said about him having proven high shooting ability, which might drop my grade on him a bit. I'll stand by him not being dumb though. And I still think he has a high ceiling and a high floor.
Last edited by Silversword on Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

I see LaVar is already running his mouth about LaMelo potentially joining the Warriors...
"That's the part I don't like about Golden State," LaVar said on the Say Less with Kaz podcast. "They got Klay and the other guys, and now you want to put Melo in that mix to say you got to follow these guys. Melo ain't no follower. He don't need to do what they do, let them do they thing.
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warri ... -nba-draft
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
j2j

Post by j2j »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:15 am I see LaVar is already running his mouth about LaMelo potentially joining the Warriors...
"That's the part I don't like about Golden State," LaVar said on the Say Less with Kaz podcast. "They got Klay and the other guys, and now you want to put Melo in that mix to say you got to follow these guys. Melo ain't no follower. He don't need to do what they do, let them do they thing.
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warri ... -nba-draft
One of the best franchises in the NBA, dynasty through the 2010s, about to run back a championship caliber team in 2021, one of the largest markets in the NBA, nearly every game nationally televised... Nah, why would anyone want to be apart of that.

Lavar and Melo are morons. Stick him in Cleveland so he can be the guy and win 20 games per year for the next 5 years before he freaks out and ends up living under a bridge. He's not smart enough to play for the Warriors anyways.

UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Nate Duncan the Dunk’ed basketball podcast has Lamelo ties with Anthony Edwards as their top prospect.

They gave LaMelo an A rating for handles, passing, and b-ball iq
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

his bbiq is probably high. you don't have his court vision without it. now, that doesn't mean he knows how to put gas in his car, or make change or find the ketchup aisle - but his bbiq looks high.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Polarizing for sure.

I adore pure playmakers. His assist numbers would be through the roof if we had a tally for 2nd ast. The outlets and high tempo would get me excited. Really believe he will be a damn good player who makes others around him better.

That said, without the trusted shot and only ok defense. Its a pass for me. Coupled with team fit, the need just isn't there. These things will give opponents the ability to sag off of him. He is far more Rubio than Stockton. Rubio shot is finally decent, just took a decade.

Not sure if I would take Haliburton before Ball. But need a Guard to be able to spread the floor so badly in todays game.

I am not always BPA, nor need only guy. It's a balance and factors for both sides.

Like some options at pg for our 2nd pick and a couple for top of r2.

Depending on where we select: Trade, OO, Wiseman and Obi is where I am at... Hate Obi defense which we need so badly, but with him we're 125+ ppg easy team and matches well for what we would want on offense.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Not sure, I want to vote no for being over rated and circus. Just no for incorrect fit. Yet so yes feel like he has incredible skills and high ceiling.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

First of all...Does KAT and DLO want him?

Second, Kid has tenacity and showboat but the best attribute he brings to this wolves team is defense and can he do that consistently? If he is willing to bring a spark on the 2nd unit and know his role then I'm all for it. If he wants to be a starter then, no.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Is LaVar still his dad? Hard pass.
Does Fade want him? Hard pass.
Let's get Tropical
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:14 pm

So let's say this twink can play, what the hell are we doing with Beasley? We just dealt a 1st rounder for him.
Beasley 6th man off the bench
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Ball is an on-ball passer. He does not really get to the basket and those that are claiming he is some high end defender are really, really, really projecting.

Put him in an off-ball position and he will be a negative to any team.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

His only redeeming value so far is A+ passing.
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:45 pm Ball is an on-ball passer. He does not really get to the basket and those that are claiming he is some high end defender are really, really, really projecting.

if you looked to a lottery pick this year to add another playmaker IMO avdija makes more sense. he can do other things, is more athletic, plays somewhat more a position of need, doesn't need the ball as much as lamelo to be effective, already is a decent defender - he'd just mesh with what we have better - whereas getting lamelo to be successful with our group would be a push/shove affair. lamelo probably has a higher ceiling - don't know if he'd reach it here.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:40 pm
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:45 pm Ball is an on-ball passer. He does not really get to the basket and those that are claiming he is some high end defender are really, really, really projecting.

if you looked to a lottery pick this year to add another playmaker IMO avdija makes more sense. he can do other things, is more athletic, plays somewhat more a position of need, doesn't need the ball as much as lamelo to be effective, already is a decent defender - he'd just mesh with what we have better - whereas getting lamelo to be successful with our group would be a push/shove affair. lamelo probably has a higher ceiling - don't know if he'd reach it here.
Just dont have an interest in him either. He would be another on-ball player, in my opinion, that would struggle as an off-ball option and his defense doesnt have an upside.

While I am not going to argue that the Wolves team is some sort of perfection, they have a huge investment in their on-ball player in Russell and Towns. I think they will make a medium size investment in Beasley. Finding the players that work on the court with those three should be the primary focus of this draft.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:21 pm
SKOLMN wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:20 pm If we didn’t trade for dlo I’d be all for this. Not sure where all the hate is coming from (other than potentially having to deal with his pops), this kid is going to be a good to great player in this league for a long time. His fit just doesn’t make any sense on this roster.

Wiseman!!! Wiseman!! Wiseman!!
Im leaning towards trading the pick.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Listening to pRosas, theres a good chance they do trade it. I hope it's for a difference maker because if it's anything like previous trades where we've moved a first for a meh veteran... I'll probably just bitch and cry on a MDSTMB.

Doesnt have to be Booker, but hopefully someone better than Webster, Jaric, Budinger, Payne... Even with a suspected weak draft.

bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

Do the Suns cover Ball? If yes I say draft him. If he is the key piece that nets us Booker I guess why not. Don't really want to put all our eggs in a Towns/Russell/Booker basket because I don't think you end up a true contender with those guys, but it would be fun to watch for 82 games a year and I don't think you end up a real contender with Towns/Russell/Beasley/Any guy in this draft as your key pieces anyways.