Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Draft LaMelo Ball

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Do You Want the Wolves to Draft LaMelo with the Top 3 Pick?

Yes, he has incredible skill and ceiling
35%
No, he's overrated like his brothers and his dad is a nightmare
65%

Total votes: 46

UnFadeable21

Draft LaMelo Ball

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

6'7"
190 lbs
USA
Pre-Draft Analysis

Strengths
- Has elite size for a point guard at 6-foot-7. Controls the game from his unique vantage point with impressive creativity, flair, poise and instincts operating off a live dribble. Gifted ball handler who plays at different speeds and can make every pass with either hand, especially operating out of pick-and-roll. Throws 90-foot outlets, makes magical touch passes.
- Has a chance to be an adequate defender due to his combination of terrific size, quick feet and instincts, particularly when he's playing with energy. Already has some impressive moments rotating for steals and contesting shots around the basket. Excellent rebounder for a guard.
- Won't turn 19 until well after the draft. Will be one of the youngest players picked in the first round. Might still be growing.

Improvement areas
- Has struggled to score efficiently throughout his career. Shot just 46% from 2-point range and 25% from 3. Shoots jumpers with unorthodox mechanics, including a two-handed release while kicking out his legs. The touch he shows on floaters and career 82% free throw percentage leaves room for optimism, but his inability to buy a basket at times this season in the half court was discouraging.
- Lacks a degree of high-end explosiveness creating offense from a standstill and beating opponents off the dribble. Doesn't have the strength to finish what he does create around the basket. Relies on a lot of tough floaters and other difficult attempts inside the arc.
- Indifferent defender for much of his career. Still reverts back to that frequently, especially off the ball. Struggles to get over screens due to his lack of strength. Has been maligned at times for his work ethic and level of focus.

Projected role: Franchise point guard
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
somuchyummy

Re: Draft LaMelo Ball

Post by somuchyummy »

good god, the face on the scouting vid. looks like someone with an IQ in the teens. and how's about a third option "No, we just traded for a franchise PG about 2 months ago."
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:50 pm good god, the face on the scouting vid. looks like someone with an IQ in the teens. and how's about a third option "No, we just traded for a franchise PG about 2 months ago."
Fade would probably play Russ and Ball together, because a Russ-Beasley backcourt has already been proven incompatible.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I wouldn't want him if we needed a PG. It really makes no sense now.

HARD PASS!!!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

Russell would just love to have the franchise he is on to draft another Ball kid to muddy his waters. Lakers did the same thing to him.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Hell no.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

LaMar has been pretty quiet since Lonzo went to NOP. I'm sure he's just waiting for his moment to spew a bunch of nonsense again, and that's gonna be when LaMelo gets drafted, to whatever team
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Vomit.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

He would never sign a 2nd contract here. No thanks.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Sucks for all you guys because I heard Rosas is a huge fan of Lamelo.

I can’t wait for the tears when the Wolves draft him.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

DLo at the 1, Lamelo at the 2

DLo 6’4
Lamelo 6’7
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

See? Did I call that or what? Dude wants a fuckin Russell-Ball backcourt.

My god.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:29 pm DLo at the 1, Lamelo at the 2

DLo 6’4
Lamelo 6’7
wee lil twink SG darius garland is 5 inches shorter than lamelo - but outweighs him by ELEVEN pounds. anthony edwards is shorter by 2 inches - but outweighs lamelo by FORTY FIVE pounds. until he puts on substantial weight, he is going to get so inhumanly abused in the nba. think of it. he's about an inch shorter than wiggins - but wiggins outweighs him by 20. wiggins!
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

SHAFA wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:04 pm See? Did I call that or what? Dude wants a fuckin Russell-Ball backcourt.

My god.
Jon K Athletc said last month on his podcast Rosas is a big fan of Lamelo.

Can’t wait for your tears on draft night again noob.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

I think LaMelo is super talented, but he'd be a weird fit here with D-LO and Malik Beasley.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

TWolves last in ticket sales and revenue out of 30 teams.

Time for LaMelo!!!
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

If we keep our pick yes, I think he has the best chance at being a star. But I want them to trade both our picks, assuming we get the Brooklyn pick, for a player stud.
Silversword

Post by Silversword »

I was planning to wait until post lottery to chime in on Ball, but since the topic was posted, I'll weigh in now. If I were the Wolves, I would have Ball at #2 on my big board - after Anthony Edwards. Ball has a higher ceiling than Edwards, but Edwards is a better fit with the Wolves and will make us better right away so I give him a slight nod of Lamelo. But if Edwards is off the board, I wouldn't hesitate to draft Ball. The key is to see him not as a PG, but as someone who, at 6'7", can play 1-3 on both ends of the court. There are no rules against having two distributors on a team - in fact, having two distributors who can also be 20ppg scorers is a good thing - it makes us harder to defend.

And Lemelo is going to be a special player - he has that 'IT' factor to his game. If you haven't watched his highlights, do yourself a favor and watch him. Watch his NBL highlights and keep in mind that he's 18 years old playing against grown men in one of the best basketball leagues in the world. Watch enough of him and it's clear that he has elite vision and elite passing skills to go with very good ball-handling and a good shot. There are negatives to his game - his form will need to be re-worked, his decision making on both ends of the court needs work, and he needs to put on about 20-25 lbs - but I'm not worried about any of those issues long term. He's already a good shooter (83%FT), a good scorer, and he can shoot the NBA 3. He has basically the same body as his brothers, so he's going to fill out like they have. He has good athleticism and quick feet. And his decision-making is bound to improve as he matures given his high BB IQ. Most importantly - as I wrote above, he has an 'IT' factor to him. He just looks like a special player... the kind of player you can build a championship team around. Oh, and one more thing - this kid is F-U-N to watch. He is going to pack the house every night. I WILL renew my season ticket package to watch this kid.

I'd say the biggest downside to drafting him is that he might want to play in the big city, so he may not sign a second contract. But, I'm not worried about that right now - I'm thinking only of the 3-4 years of absolute joy it'll be to follow the Wolves.

Bottom line, I'd be thrilled to add Lamelo to this roster. Bring him off the bench at the 1, 2 or 3 until he's ready to start, and then slide him into either the 2 or 3 and build an offense that takes advantage of having two high end distributors who can both score.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Is LaJello a better prospect than his brother, Gonzo? I say no and Gonzo isn't anything special.

HARD PASS!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Silversword wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:02 pm I was planning to wait until post lottery to chime in on Ball, but since the topic was posted, I'll weigh in now. If I were the Wolves, I would have Ball at #2 on my big board - after Anthony Edwards. Ball has a higher ceiling than Edwards, but Edwards is a better fit with the Wolves and will make us better right away so I give him a slight nod of Lamelo. But if Edwards is off the board, I wouldn't hesitate to draft Ball. The key is to see him not as a PG, but as someone who, at 6'7", can play 1-3 on both ends of the court. There are no rules against having two distributors on a team - in fact, having two distributors who can also be 20ppg scorers is a good thing - it makes us harder to defend.

And Lemelo is going to be a special player - he has that 'IT' factor to his game. If you haven't watched his highlights, do yourself a favor and watch him. Watch his NBL highlights and keep in mind that he's 18 years old playing against grown men in one of the best basketball leagues in the world. Watch enough of him and it's clear that he has elite vision and elite passing skills to go with very good ball-handling and a good shot. There are negatives to his game - his form will need to be re-worked, his decision making on both ends of the court needs work, and he needs to put on about 20-25 lbs - but I'm not worried about any of those issues long term. He's already a good shooter (83%FT), a good scorer, and he can shoot the NBA 3. He has basically the same body as his brothers, so he's going to fill out like they have. He has good athleticism and quick feet. And his decision-making is bound to improve as he matures given his high BB IQ. Most importantly - as I wrote above, he has an 'IT' factor to him. He just looks like a special player... the kind of player you can build a championship team around. Oh, and one more thing - this kid is F-U-N to watch. He is going to pack the house every night. I WILL renew my season ticket package to watch this kid.

I'd say the biggest downside to drafting him is that he might want to play in the big city, so he may not sign a second contract. But, I'm not worried about that right now - I'm thinking only of the 3-4 years of absolute joy it'll be to follow the Wolves.

Bottom line, I'd be thrilled to add Lamelo to this roster. Bring him off the bench at the 1, 2 or 3 until he's ready to start, and then slide him into either the 2 or 3 and build an offense that takes advantage of having two high end distributors who can both score.

what do you mean, he's going to fill out like his brothers? this is a thing? i'm 6-4 and went (for most of my life) 170. (now i'm kind of fat. that's a story for another time.) but anyway, my brother - same mom and dad - has been 5-9 230 most of his life. genetics are all screwy, man. never assume.

also - we absolutely should worry about that second contract. rookies don't have to sign on for five years. if the worry out of the gate is that he'll want out so he can go to a bigger market, EXPECT that he'll sign a shorter deal to make that happen. i want no part of a top three pick who intends to be living out of his suitcase. by the time he's good enough to start (as you yourself conceded), he'll be gone.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Can’t shoot and “Has a chance to be an adequate defender.”

Ugh.

We need, “can shoot and projects to be a plus defender.”

We have enough playmaking and guys on offense who need the ball. We need shooters and defenders. Ball is neither. Easy decision. If we take him, I hope it’s to trade if there’s a drop off in perceived value after him.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:25 pm Can’t shoot and “Has a chance to be an adequate defender.”

Ugh.

We need, “can shoot and projects to be a plus defender.”

We have enough playmaking and guys on offense who need the ball. We need shooters and defenders. Ball is neither. Easy decision. If we take him, I hope it’s to trade if there’s a drop off in perceived value after him.
I'd take a playmaker over a defender, I think Okogie and Culver are good for our defenders. Shooting I agree with, but I don't know if there is a true great shooter in the top 4. That's why I want to trade our 2 picks for a shooter, Booker / Buddy / Beal.. i know those are lofty, but 2 firsts plus change...
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:20 pm

DLo 6’4
Lamelo 6’7
wee lil twink SG darius garland is 5 inches shorter than lamelo - but outweighs him by ELEVEN pounds. anthony edwards is shorter by 2 inches - but outweighs lamelo by FORTY FIVE pounds. until he puts on substantial weight, he is going to get so inhumanly abused in the nba. think of it. he's about an inch shorter than wiggins - but wiggins outweighs him by 20. wiggins!
Wiggins is 195, Lamelo is 190. How is Wiggins 20lbs more than him?
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:09 pm Is LaJello a better prospect than his brother, Gonzo? I say no and Gonzo isn't anything special.

HARD PASS!
Jello is the weakest brother and not in the league.

Lonzo is solid, good passer and great defender.

LaMelo is the best one bro
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:06 pm

DLo 6’4
Lamelo 6’7
maybe wigs has dropped to 195 - but all the predraft stuff i read on melo is 181.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:10 pm
UnFadeable21 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:06 pm

maybe wigs has dropped to 195 - but all the predraft stuff i read on melo is 181.
Espn Draft Express has him listed at 6’7 190lbs
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

Family & BS aside - if we land a top 2 pick (& we don’t trade it), I’m in, especially if he develops on the defensive side like his brother.
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

DLo 6’4
Lamelo 6’7
He’s the same size as Jarrett Culver & Tony Snell...
Dubs

Post by Dubs »

Rusty Kuntz wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:52 pm If we keep our pick yes, I think he has the best chance at being a star. But I want them to trade both our picks, assuming we get the Brooklyn pick, for a player stud.
Agreed on the first comment - however, I’m on the side of hoping we keep one of the first rounders.