Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Athletic Article: Rosas will keep options open this offseason

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
SO_MONEY

Re: Athletic Article: Rosas will keep options open this offseason

Post by SO_MONEY »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:04 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:25 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:11 pm

how exactly did jj look awful to you? i was expecting nothing but a washed up old guy. instead he played his usual tough D, averaged 12/5/4 on 57%/37%/68% with 1.5 spg and 1.5 bpg. per 36s of 18/7/6/2/2. he was super solid. are you sure you just weren't put off by his braids?
He is careless and sloppy. If you want to be a vet or the vet on this team can't be that. Replaceable.
he had a lot of TOs (and Assists) because he handles the ball and distributes more than the average tweener - plus he was playing with new teammates and for sure that's something that would tighten up with more familiarity. but as it is, his 1.96 Asst/TO ratio with us was not too far off luka doncic's 2.1 mark. i didn't hear too many people screaming about his sloppy play. jj's Asst/TO mark for the year was a nice 2.47 - putting him a notch ahead of kemba, simmons, jrue, conley, etc. give him another year with the same guys and that ratio would revert back to this norm. my point with JJ is that i think he has value on the court and in the locker room - to the point that the expiring deal we do with him better bring something nice back. i don't want to simply do some other team a favor by helping them shed some longer term salary they've grown tired of.
Pass. I want him gone. Stretching him is probably most likely rather than trade.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

SO_MONEY wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:55 pm

He is careless and sloppy. If you want to be a vet or the vet on this team can't be that. Replaceable.
he had a lot of TOs (and Assists) because he handles the ball and distributes more than the average tweener - plus he was playing with new teammates and for sure that's something that would tighten up with more familiarity. but as it is, his 1.96 Asst/TO ratio with us was not too far off luka doncic's 2.1 mark. i didn't hear too many people screaming about his sloppy play. jj's Asst/TO mark for the year was a nice 2.47 - putting him a notch ahead of kemba, simmons, jrue, conley, etc. give him another year with the same guys and that ratio would revert back to this norm. my point with JJ is that i think he has value on the court and in the locker room - to the point that the expiring deal we do with him better bring something nice back. i don't want to simply do some other team a favor by helping them shed some longer term salary they've grown tired of.
Pass. I want him gone. Stretching him is probably most likely rather than trade.
Why on earth would he stretch him in the last year of his contract? That makes zero sense at all.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Good lord, this is doubling down on a bad take with an even shittier take.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:15 am

No doubt. He has the attitude and toughness we lack. The leadership we lack. And he showed he is still a major plus on the floor. Not to mention he is a great expiring deal which could have value both as an expiring and as a player.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:35 am

No doubt. He has the attitude and toughness we lack. The leadership we lack. And he showed he is still a major plus on the floor. Not to mention he is a great expiring deal which could have value both as an expiring and as a player.
Absolutely. He shot it fairly well, provided good defense and toughness, handles the ball as a semi-point forward decently too.

Plus, as you mention, he should be an attractive piece in a trade for a playoff team, especially around the deadline.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

As it stands there will be about 6 teams with space, if by trading him we can bring in a piece, so be it...otherwise I would rather be team 7 with space and play the market. It is not a shitty take it is common sense. If you like JJ great, I don't, that said I am not so sure you wouldn't like what we would get in trade or FA equally as well or more so and that player has greater likelihood to either retain value for the future or themselves become a long-term part of the team.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

The value he would bring to the locker room as a tough guy and leader would be invaluable, so even if you don't want him on the court, we need a guy like this associated with our team so no way in hell I would just flat out release the guy.

Our stars are coddled soft guys, and need someone to show them how to play with an edge and toughness...and it certainly ain't gonna be our coach.
That is exactly what JJ does.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:29 pm The value he would bring to the locker room as a tough guy and leader would be invaluable, so even if you don't want him on the court, we need a guy like this associated with our team so no way in hell I would just flat out release the guy.

Our stars are coddled soft guys, and need someone to show them how to play with an edge and toughness...and it certainly ain't gonna be our coach.
If you want JJ gone you are likely 100% behind the way this organization has been and is being run. :lol:

A tough, talented all around player who plays both ends? Why the hell would we want that? He might do something stupid like hold others accountable. Next thing you know his actual leadership gets in the way of Towns fake leadership.

And why would we want a big expiring at the deadline that actually has value on the court? Then we would have the opportunity to trade his expiring for a similar money deal OR trade him as an actual player for a similar expiring and a piece. Why on earth would we want 2 opportunities to use him to get better?
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:09 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:29 pm The value he would bring to the locker room as a tough guy and leader would be invaluable, so even if you don't want him on the court, we need a guy like this associated with our team so no way in hell I would just flat out release the guy.

If you want JJ gone you are likely 100% behind the way this organization has been and is being run. :lol:

A tough, talented all around player who plays both ends? Why the hell would we want that? He might do something stupid like hold others accountable. Next thing you know his actual leadership gets in the way of Towns fake leadership.

And why would we want a big expiring at the deadline that actually has value on the court? Then we would have the opportunity to trade his expiring for a similar money deal OR trade him as an actual player for a similar expiring and a piece. Why on earth would we want 2 opportunities to use him to get better?
Why on earth would you ignore 2 opportunities now, trade or FA to have 1 opportunity later, yes you only offered ONE a trade...
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:45 pm

Why on earth would you ignore 2 opportunities now, trade or FA to have 1 opportunity later, yes you only offered ONE a trade...
Should I ignore your post earlier where opportunity #1 was stretching a guy in his expiring year? That fantastic option? Yes you offered I guess 3 fantastic options. Except oops........what exactly is the FA option with JJ? Oh so you count trading him and using his space in FA as 2 options? That's not 2. And by the way who trades for big vet expirings in the offseason? And sends no money back? No one that's who. So you have offered zero options. Except for the fantastic stretch option. Which should count as negative 1.

And I offered many options. Keep him and play him as one. If he's good keep him at a lower number. If he sucks let him expire. If he's good and you get a good offer take a similar expiring and a pick from someone who will use him. If he sucks hope to use his expiring to get another team's salary dump for a rebuild. But I guess you can't see (count) that. Why on earth didn't you pull out the abacus before responding?
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

If the Wolves don’t get the Brooklyn pick this year, I am in 100% favor of Rosas trading our top pick and pretty much any of our players outside of KAT and DLO for another established (youngish) talent that can grow with them.

Drafting at that point helps nothing IMO.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

jodaman01 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:19 am If the Wolves don’t get the Brooklyn pick this year, I am in 100% favor of Rosas trading our top pick and pretty much any of our players outside of KAT and DLO for another established (youngish) talent that can grow with them.

If we don't get the Brooklyn pick we can't even trade our pick.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:22 am
jodaman01 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:19 am If the Wolves don’t get the Brooklyn pick this year, I am in 100% favor of Rosas trading our top pick and pretty much any of our players outside of KAT and DLO for another established (youngish) talent that can grow with them.

Can we have the trade pre-arranged, then make the selection to satisify that Stepien rule, then move the rights to that player after to finalize the deal?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:25 am
Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:22 am

Can we have the trade pre-arranged, then make the selection to satisify that Stepien rule, then move the rights to that player after to finalize the deal?
Or could we do a pick swap as part of the deal, where we would get their later first round pick this year just to satisfy the Stepien rule, and then even out the trade accordingly?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:39 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:45 pm

Should I ignore your post earlier where opportunity #1 was stretching a guy in his expiring year? That fantastic option? Yes you offered I guess 3 fantastic options. Except oops........what exactly is the FA option with JJ? Oh so you count trading him and using his space in FA as 2 options? That's not 2. And by the way who trades for big vet expirings in the offseason? And sends no money back? No one that's who. So you have offered zero options. Except for the fantastic stretch option. Which should count as negative 1.

And I offered many options. Keep him and play him as one. If he's good keep him at a lower number. If he sucks let him expire. If he's good and you get a good offer take a similar expiring and a pick from someone who will use him. If he sucks hope to use his expiring to get another team's salary dump for a rebuild. But I guess you can't see (count) that. Why on earth didn't you pull out the abacus before responding?
Blah Blah Blah

I offered 2 options you 1. You only now offer a second in keeping him. I don't need to misrepresent you to prove my point, that being you have a limited scope and only care to count your opinion as valid options even when you don't explicitly mentioned them. I broke down the landscape of the market and why the stretch provision could be used. If you don't agree with what I would do super, just stop being a **** for everyone's benefit.

I also didn't say stretching him was option 1, option 1 is trading him, I just don't think it is likely, or not for what I want anyways. Meaning I think stretching him is more likely, but is the likelihood of either vastly different from one another...probably not and that trade could come from now to the deadline.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... lationship
The New York Knicks could potentially make a move for Devin Booker due to his prior relationship with Leon Rose, league sources told Marc Berman of the New York Post.

Rose was Booker's agent, with William Wesley reportedly also close to Booker due to their Kentucky ties.

In regarding potential trades involving the Knicks, Berman writes that "the player to watch out for most is Suns combo guard Devin Booker."

Rose said last week that he wants to improve the Knicks through all avenues, including the draft, free agency, and trades.

“I think he’ll do unbelievable. One of the most genuine guys I know. One of the most honest guys I know. So I’m happy for him in his new position. I think the Knicks are in really good hands," Booker said of Rose after his hire.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:21 pm https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... lationship
The New York Knicks could potentially make a move for Devin Booker due to his prior relationship with Leon Rose, league sources told Marc Berman of the New York Post.

Rose was Booker's agent, with William Wesley reportedly also close to Booker due to their Kentucky ties.

In regarding potential trades involving the Knicks, Berman writes that "the player to watch out for most is Suns combo guard Devin Booker."

Rose said last week that he wants to improve the Knicks through all avenues, including the draft, free agency, and trades.

“I think he’ll do unbelievable. One of the most genuine guys I know. One of the most honest guys I know. So I’m happy for him in his new position. I think the Knicks are in really good hands," Booker said of Rose after his hire.
New York write up + realGM. Not really anything to see here. If we are going on players going somewhere because of relationships, I think KAT and Russell are a much bigger drawcard for him.

It's pretty shocking how players can will themselves to their desired destinations now.
KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

A KAT, Russell, Booker trio isn’t winning anything substantial anyway. I don’t get the pining for Booker.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Trade James Johnson and the Brooklyn Pick for Aaron Gordon.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:12 pm A KAT, Russell, Booker trio isn’t winning anything substantial anyway. I don’t get the pining for Booker.
Because it would be the best young trio this franchise has put together since Starbury, KG and Googs..end of story.

That’s why.

Who knows if it wins anything, but it would be must watch and must pay to go and watch basketball in Target Center. Plus for a GM it wouldn’t take much smarts or money to build a team around them.

I have a hard time seeing the real downside with KAT and DLO’s timeline aligning so perfectly with Booker’s.....

https://arizonasports.com/story/2123032 ... -together/

LordNu

Post by LordNu »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:12 pm A KAT, Russell, Booker trio isn’t winning anything substantial anyway. I don’t get the pining for Booker.
I don't exactly pine for him. I just see it as inevitable.

It would generate some excitement which this team has lacked for how damn long? I remember posting a thread about how down I was (as well as other WC posters) after an abysmal loss to Atlanta, just before we got Dlo here. I basically felt the flatest I ever had been on the side, and that was really saying something after the shit we have put up with for 15+ years since 03-04 season. I think I personally just want something fun and exciting to happen, and don't see it in any other form than that trio.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

LordNu wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:52 am

It would generate some excitement which this team has lacked for how damn long? I remember posting a thread about how down I was (as well as other WC posters) after an abysmal loss to Atlanta, just before we got Dlo here. I basically felt the flatest I ever had been on the side, and that was really saying something after the shit we have put up with for 15+ years since 03-04 season. I think I personally just want something fun and exciting to happen, and don't see it in any other form than that trio.

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero

Post by KevinBaconIsNotMyHero »

I wasn’t talking about anyone in particular. I just don’t think Booker is the third guy if Rosas is serious like he says about competing. The ceiling for that team is like maybe a playoff series win? And I get why some would take that after the shit show we’ve seen over the last 15-16 years.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i don't think booker makes this team a competitive playoff team. his addition would be "exciting" for a time - then the lustre would fade and the reality would set in - i'm giving it a season and a half before the fanbase would turn on it.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:11 pm i don't think booker makes this team a competitive playoff team. his addition would be "exciting" for a time - then the lustre would fade and the reality would set in - i'm giving it a season and a half before the fanbase would turn on it.
Do you not believe with that core Rosas could find two players to round out that lineup? Find a young player like JJ and a younger ball handler defender who can bring the ball up help move it around and play D and get rebounds and turnovers.

I’d put that against anything in the West or the East for the next few years.

GO WOLVES!! 👍
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

D is only as good as the weakest link - and we've got three weak links. IMO i don't see it working.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:29 pm D is only as good as the weakest link - and we've got three weak links. IMO i don't see it working.
As they sit today, KAT, DLO and Beasley there is the same if not bigger problem of week D, and also less Offensive skill when compared to KAT, DLO and Booker.

I honestly don’t see it happening, but would love if it did.

Rosas has little or no regard for the PF position in his system, and I don’t see him finding and paying a real talent for that position that will make KAT, DLO and Beasley into a competitor or make up for the lack of D. That is why IMO the addition of Booker as part of the 3 headed monster improves this team more.

More talent may be willing to come play along that as complementary players as well. Making Rosas’s job of rounding out a winner easier..

Last edited by jodaman01 on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

KevinBaconIsNotMyHero wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:43 pm

I wasn’t talking about anyone in particular. I just don’t think Booker is the third guy if Rosas is serious like he says about competing. The ceiling for that team is like maybe a playoff series win? And I get why some would take that after the shit show we’ve seen over the last 15-16 years.
Nah I didn't take it personally, all good. I have been one of the main posters pushing the idea that Booker will come here though, so need to justify my stance.

At the end of the day, as every one of us would want, I want the Wolves to be competitive, I want the be a contender. How long do we keep having to hope for something that resembles a path to this? It ain't easy being a fan of this franchise as we are very well aware.
Subarudrivingsnowflake

Post by Subarudrivingsnowflake »

Dlo KAT and booker is a poor mans golden state warriors. They all can rain from deep. Our defense would be a MAJOR flaw, but it’d be hard to lose a scoring race.

We’d most likely make a little noise and lose in the playoffs to a team with good defense. Then we’ll need that tough defensive F/C to guard the hoop.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Subarudrivingsnowflake wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:51 pm Dlo KAT and booker is a poor mans golden state warriors. They all can rain from deep. Our defense would be a MAJOR flaw, but it’d be hard to lose a scoring race.

We’d most likely make a little noise and lose in the playoffs to a team with good defense. Then we’ll need that tough defensive F/C to guard the hoop.
Are Curry and Klay really that good at D?