Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

**9th Annual NBA froob Draft** Complete

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: **9th Annual NBA froob Draft** #15 mlhouse is otc

Post by somuchyummy »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:15 am With the 15th pick the Oklahoma City Thunder select Trae Young G Oklahoma

In establishing a franchise in OKC it is doubtful that there could be a pick that has more value both on and off the court. Oklahoma born. Sooner phenom. Putting him in a Thunder uniform would be a franchise dream.

I have to admit that as a draft prospect I was a bit doubtful of Young who has a small frame and I wasn's sure he could handle the physical nature of the highest level pro game. I also admit I had those same concerns about Steph Curry too. But, the facts make all those concerns moot.

In his second season in the NBA Young is averaging 30.2 points, 9.5 assists and 4.3 rebounds per 36. That is far above Steph Curry in his second year. His shooting percentages are outstanding, 50.1% from 2, 36.1% from 3, and 86% from the line in which he gets to 9.5 times/36. Those numbers are starting to approach James Harden levels.

He is the three level scorer that a franchise needs as its core piece. Put the ball in his hands, surround him with good complementary players, and good coaching and your franchise will win.
i looked long and hard at trae young - but you know my predilection for two way players.... great pick though. i knew about his scoring - was unaware though that he also finished 2nd this year in apg.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:23 am
mlhouse wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:15 am With the 15th pick the Oklahoma City Thunder select Trae Young G Oklahoma

In establishing a franchise in OKC it is doubtful that there could be a pick that has more value both on and off the court. Oklahoma born. Sooner phenom. Putting him in a Thunder uniform would be a franchise dream.

I have to admit that as a draft prospect I was a bit doubtful of Young who has a small frame and I wasn's sure he could handle the physical nature of the highest level pro game. I also admit I had those same concerns about Steph Curry too. But, the facts make all those concerns moot.

In his second season in the NBA Young is averaging 30.2 points, 9.5 assists and 4.3 rebounds per 36. That is far above Steph Curry in his second year. His shooting percentages are outstanding, 50.1% from 2, 36.1% from 3, and 86% from the line in which he gets to 9.5 times/36. Those numbers are starting to approach James Harden levels.

He is the three level scorer that a franchise needs as its core piece. Put the ball in his hands, surround him with good complementary players, and good coaching and your franchise will win.
i looked long and hard at trae young - but you know my predilection for two way players.... great pick though. i knew about his scoring - was unaware that he also though finished 2nd this year in apg.
Good coaching makes two way players.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Trae Young is a solid pick. I knew he wouldnt last to my next pick, but prior to draft order he was someone I wanted.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
witljon

Post by witljon »

The Pistons take Joel Embiid with the 16th pick.
j2j

Post by j2j »

witljon wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:36 am The Pistons take Joel Embiid with the 16th pick.
BOO! BOO! BOO THIS MAN! TRAITOR! :finger: :lol:

Style

Re: **9th Annual NBA froob Draft** #12 Domejandro is otc

Post by Style »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:52 am Paul George was who I was referring to as the obvious pick, and who I would have moved up for. Alpha scorer, shoots 40% from 3, and one of the best defenders in the league.

Tatum is a nice pick here too.
He would’ve been my pick too. Tatum was also in that same three player tier I mentioned earlier in the thread.

‘Twas the SF tier, not the C, though some of those guys are pretty closely linked as well.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

So from my squad last year. I had the best trio for this year.

Jokic #9
Tatum #14
Young #15

This gives me rights to the trophy correct? :)
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Re: **9th Annual NBA froob Draft** #17 Rusty is otc

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Paul George is great value at 13. I was considering him had I stayed at pick 8.

Great progress today so far. :thumbsup:
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

mglviks wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:00 am So from my squad last year. I had the best trio for this year.

Jokic #9
Tatum #14
Young #15

might not be a bad idea. use the following year's froob rankings (just add up the numbers) to determine the winner of the previous year. not a foolproof method - it probably favors O over D knowing our biases - plus how do all the pieces of your team fit together, do they bring out the best in each other - or work against each other. also, there might have to be some sort of weighted thing where starting five ranking X 1.5 or whatever - because someone might have an absolutely rocking bench, but in reality get blown off the court by other starting fives. anyway, in lieu of any other system - why not?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Rusty Kuntz

Post by Rusty Kuntz »

With the 17th pick of this here draft, the New York Knicks select...

Kyrie Irving

I hate this guy, but I think he will put up numbers next year with KD

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

hate him too - but kyrie at 17? woooooooo. that's solid.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:47 pm hate him too - but kyrie at 17? woooooooo. that's solid.

Remember this?

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
bri

Re: **9th Annual NBA froob Draft** #18 Shafa is otc

Post by bri »

Hopefully I will not be sniped
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Looking at 3 guys that play the same position at pick #20. Doubt all 3 will be there. Possibly even next 2 picks will be 2 of these guys.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Got one guy I'm pretty narrowed in on. Pretty positive he gets sniped though.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

I'm so happy Embiid and Irving went away. I didn't want the temptation of either shithead. Gimme a minute and I'll have mine in.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

j2j wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:52 am Paul George was who I was referring to as the obvious pick, and who I would have moved up for. Alpha scorer, shoots 40% from 3, and one of the best defenders in the league.

Same.

There is still a guy left I would have picked before Tatum, Embiid, Young, Kyrie etc..

Being sold way short here.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bri

Post by bri »

YBBR wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:16 pm Got one guy I'm pretty narrowed in on. Pretty positive he gets sniped though.
Wonder if we're thinking of the same guy
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

bri wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:55 pm
YBBR wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:16 pm Got one guy I'm pretty narrowed in on. Pretty positive he gets sniped though.
That's the way this goes though. You think everyone is after your pick! I think Shafa and you Bri have a similar taste in players as myself and aren't looking for real flashy names but are not necessarily under the radar but slightly not as obvious maybe. Hard to phrase how I'm thinking.
Last edited by YBBR on Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bri

Post by bri »

YBBR wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:58 pm
bri wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:55 pm
That's the way this goes though. You think everyone is after you're pick! I think Shafa and you Bri have a similar taste in players as myself and aren't looking for real flashy names but are not necessarily under the radar but slightly not as obvious maybe. Hard to phrase how I'm thinking.
There's one guy I want just for the purpose of this but I have a few others I'm thinking of that would be fun as well
Style

Post by Style »

mglviks wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:00 am So from my squad last year. I had the best trio for this year.

Jokic #9
Tatum #14
Young #15

That’s the benefit of simming last year’s draft on this year’s game. You get credit for their improved play. Heck of a trio.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Alright, there are a few of the established vets still sitting there, but I think this guy still has room to ascend and eclipse those same vets.
Spoiler:

Another two way guy who continued his rise even with Leonard gone. Something like 23/7/4 with solid percentages all around, and emergence as the leader of a 46-win team. With the coaching staff around him, I don't see how he can't keep polishing the rest of his game next season.

The Bucks kick things off with Pascal Siakam.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Very nice selection
Style

Post by Style »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:56 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:47 pm hate him too - but kyrie at 17? woooooooo. that's solid.

Remember this?

I was against it at the time, but Wiggins probably could’ve pulled Kyrie.

Kyrie/Butler/KAT would’ve been a great fitting roster style wise. And hell, off the court it couldn’t have gone worse than it did.

Should’ve pulled the trigger.
j2j

Post by j2j »

SHAFA wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:27 pm I'm so happy Embiid and Irving went away. I didn't want the temptation of either shithead. Gimme a minute and I'll have mine in.
Same, but I'm a long ways away

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

great pick.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:46 pm

Same.

There is still a guy left I would have picked before Tatum, Embiid, Young, Kyrie etc..

Being sold way short here.
Carmelo Anthony? He's all yours.

YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Style wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:08 pm
Hoop Dreams wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:56 pm

Remember this?

I was against it at the time, but Wiggins probably could’ve pulled Kyrie.

Kyrie/Butler/KAT would’ve been a great fitting roster style wise. And hell, off the court it couldn’t have gone worse than it did.

Should’ve pulled the trigger.
Maybe. But you live and learn. Butler with Kyrie probably would've been happy but I'm not sure Towns would have been and the splinter might have been there in a way instead.
bri

Post by bri »

With #19,

The Hawks select

Spoiler:
Yeah.. he can't really shoot but does everything else well so he should be a fun one to build around.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Haha. Yep those were 2 of the guys I was thinking about. I guess Simmons is a PG but really in a PF body.

Siakim and Simmons.