Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

**9th Annual NBA froob Draft** Complete

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
mglviks

Re: **9th Annual NBA froob Draft** #62 Sid is otc

Post by mglviks »

Didn't expect all my targets to make it..
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

mglviks wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:34 pm Didn't expect all my targets to make it..
Wiggins, Teague, and Vonleh?
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Bulls select: LaMarcus Aldrich

Savy vet who can carry a team on his shoulders, yet unselfish spurs guy. While no one is Tim Duncan. LMA is about as close to that type as it comes. Zinger and LMA have shuffled back and forth from playing the 4 and 5. I believe their bbiq together will figure it all out on the court.

LMA was a first round lock in these drafts for years. Getting him at the top of r4, yes please.

LMA a midrange god and low post stud has stretched out to beyond the arch.

Smart on the boards and protecting the rim.

C/PF LaMarcus Aldrich
PF/C Kristaps Porzingas
SF Robert Covington
SG
PG Steph Curry
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Surprised LMA lasted this long. He's posting career highs in three pointers made and blocks per game. Very good pick.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

mglviks wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:22 pm Bulls select: LaMarcus Aldrich

Savy vet who can carry a team on his shoulders, yet unselfish spurs guy. While no one is Tim Duncan. LMA is about as close to that type as it comes. Zinger and LMA have shuffled back and forth from playing the 4 and 5. I believe their bbiq together will figure it all out on the court.

LMA was a first round lock in these drafts for years. Getting him at the top of r4, yes please.

LMA a midrange god and low post stud has stretched out to beyond the arch.

Smart on the boards and protecting the rim.

C/PF LaMarcus Aldrich
PF/C Kristaps Porzingas
SF Robert Covington
SG
PG Steph Curry
he had a great comeback year. not nearly as irrelevant as people had been saying. super pick and damn you!
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Hoop Dreams

Re: **9th Annual NBA froob Draft** #58 Bright is otc

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:41 pm 3 guys I'm targeting with 6 picks to go. Hope to land one of them.

I would be happy to land one as I haven't had a pick since top of rd #2 and I don't have one after rd #4 until #6.

I think swapping order at #3 was too high. #4 seems to be the sweet spot imo.
I think you're finally on the clock!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

idk man. seems like you guys with four picks done have really got some sweet lineups going.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
bri

Post by bri »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:46 pm idk man. seems like you guys with four picks done have really got some sweet lineups going.
You'll join the club in a dozen or so picks
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

Hoop Dreams wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:28 pm Surprised LMA lasted this long. He's posting career highs in three pointers made and blocks per game. Very good pick.
Shoulder surgery, 35, meh. I can see why he is still available. Not saying it's time to take him behind the woodshed, but father time is undefeated. I think this is the year Pop lets Poetl eat!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

bri wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:47 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:46 pm idk man. seems like you guys with four picks done have really got some sweet lineups going.
You'll join the club in a dozen or so picks
i know. bah.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Would have took this guy in rd #3. Fits perfectly for what I’m doing here.

The Dallas Mavericks select....

C Clint Capela

Young and has the traits I’m looking for to go with my squad. Rim protector, can run the floor, play in the PnR and has the ability to switch defensively on multiple positions on the floor.

PG Donic
SG Thompson
SF
PF
C Capela
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:04 pm Would have took this guy in rd #3. Fits perfectly for what I’m doing here.

C Clint Capela

Young and has the traits I’m looking for to go with my squad. Rim protector, can run the floor, play in the PnR and has the ability to switch defensively on multiple positions on the floor.
Him and 1 other I was debating over with LMA
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mglviks wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:05 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:04 pm Would have took this guy in rd #3. Fits perfectly for what I’m doing here.

C Clint Capela

Him and 1 other I was debating over with LMA
Easily was my top target. Still two guys I really liked here with him but he fits my team perfect.

I’m thinking both guys will go rather soon.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Re: **9th Annual NBA froob Draft** #65 Abe is otc

Post by RubeTube »

If you are picking soon and looking for a trade back, let me know.

I don’t have a 5th but multiple 6s and am willing to trade the rest of my draft to the bottom to move up here.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Style

Post by Style »

F I was going Capela with my pick. Oh well.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Woah. I just noticed I have another 4th rounder. Looking to move up here, GENTLEMEN.

PM me.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mglviks

Re: Annual NBA froob Draft sign ups

Post by mglviks »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:58 pm In

Anthony Davis
CJ McCollum
Jamal Murray
Otc bud
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

not trying to rush abe here, honest. after all, it's not even 7 am. just a clarification for my own understanding. what's the "12 hour window" and what's "2 hours on the clock" mean? capela was picked a little after 6 pm last night - so about 4 hours have passed. does abe still have 8 hours to make the pick or is he 2 hours overdue?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think blake is going to be strong again this year. he's really rounded out his game as he's aged - then he had all sorts of injuries last year to cut his effectiveness - but if you look to a healthy year prior to that, he was awesome. extremely nice pick at 65, young man.
Sid Hartman

Post by Sid Hartman »

Wiggy is going to get mad even his biggest supporter is passing on him
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
Style

Post by Style »

With the 66th pick, the Boston Celtics select:

Jonathan Isaac

Not a traditional pick in terms of lineup construction, yet this defensive stud perfectly fits with my previously drafted players. Isaac is underrated as it is, yet next year with another year of exposure, he will likely spring into DPOY conversations.
Jonathan Isaac was so singularly dominant, so breathtakingly restrictive as a primary and team defender that the league is left with no choice but to recognize his immense disruptive talents. This season Isaac was undoubtedly the league’s best defensive player.

Let’s start with the statistical case. Isaac racked up a combined number of blocks and steals unlike anyone else in the league. For the season he averaged 2.4 blocks (2nd league wide) and 1.6 steals (18th), good for a combined total of 4.0 per contest (1st). The best defensive counting statistics we have place him at the apex, a case bolstered by the eye test, which pegs him as a whirling dervish of stifling limbs and maniacal help rotations. It’s also worth remembering that he’s arriving at these numbers in less than 30 minutes of game time each night.

Dig deeper and the assessment stands up to further scrutiny. This season there were only four players who saw as much court time and were as likely to record a block. The same metric for steals places only thirteen names in front of him. Again, when these are combined, it is Isaac that tops the chart.

Elsewhere one might think that JI’s case starts to weaken somewhat. Advanced ratings like defensive rating, defensive win shares, and defensive box plus/minus all seem to favor some guy by the name of Giannis Antetokounmpo. However, it is worth noting that he benefits by playing for the league’s best team defense in Milwaukee, and as such it is almost impossible to separate his case from that of his teammates. Just imagine what Isaac would be capable of defensively if he was blessed with the same level of defensively-talented peers as Giannis!

The Greek Freak’s defensive numbers are a case for his team’s brilliance at that end of the court. JI’s are a case for his own individual brilliance. Giannis and the Bucks might take home the championship, but the Defensive Player of the Year award belongs to Isaac.
Unmatched Defensive Ability

We already reviewed how his physical attributes translate perfectly on the court, but his ability to match those attributes with elite defensive ability is insane.

In Isaac’s sophomore season, he finished the year with a 1.0 defensive box +/- (DBPM). Defensive box +/- looks at how many more points a team received, due to someone’s contributions on the defensive end. 1.0 may seem a bit low, but let’s look at who he’s surrounded by. Chris Paul (1.1), Jimmy Butler (0.9), Joel Embiid (0.9), and Kawhi Leonard (1.1), all had very similar numbers at the end of the year.

This past season, Isaac made a huge jump on the defensive end, ending his season with a 2.9 DBPM. Now, many will claim his shortened season is the reason behind such a high number. However, the cut off for DBPM looks to be around 40 games at the season cut off. So theoretically, Isaac missed the cut off by just 8-10 games, which wouldn’t drastically change his numbers. So let’s drop Isaac’s DBPM to 2.5 as a means for making up those games. Isaac would slot in somewhere around the eight/nine spot for DBPM rankings this season. Ahead of Draymond Green, Paul George, and Joel Embiid who all hadn’t played significantly more games than Isaac.

He has already started to mold into one of the game’s better defenders, just a couple years into his career. Not to mention, Isaac averaged 2.4 blocks per game, an astounding number for any NBA player.

Isaac certainly has some room to grow on the defensive end, but nearly every single defensive metric and meaningful stat have seen exponential growth since his rookie season. He’s now starting to polish those defensive skills even more, which should be a scary sight for every single player in the league.
PG: CP3
W: Isaac
W: Durant
W: Gallinari

Table setter: Check
Defensive stopper: Check
Superstar: Check
Floor spacer/3pt: Check

Okayyyyyyyyyy!
Mr. Brightside

Post by Mr. Brightside »

With the 67th pick, the Portland Trail Blazers select...

Eric Bledsoe!

PG: Eric Bledsoe
SG: Jaylen Brown
SF: Kawhi Leonard
PF: Tobias Harris
C:

Loving my team so far.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:53 am not trying to rush abe here, honest. after all, it's not even 7 am. just a clarification for my own understanding. what's the "12 hour window" and what's "2 hours on the clock" mean? capela was picked a little after 6 pm last night - so about 4 hours have passed. does abe still have 8 hours to make the pick or is he 2 hours overdue?
Draft open from 8am to 10pm. So while sleeping doesnt count against.

12 hours to figure out on the clock.
2 hours to make selection.
Not 14 total tho. Explained better before when asked in previous page.
bombers3shooter

Style wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:25 am With the 66th pick, the Boston Celtics select:

Jonathan Isaac

Not a traditional pick in terms of lineup construction, yet this defensive stud perfectly fits with my previously drafted players. Isaac is underrated as it is, yet next year with another year of exposure, he will likely spring into DPOY conversations.
Jonathan Isaac was so singularly dominant, so breathtakingly restrictive as a primary and team defender that the league is left with no choice but to recognize his immense disruptive talents. This season Isaac was undoubtedly the league’s best defensive player.

Let’s start with the statistical case. Isaac racked up a combined number of blocks and steals unlike anyone else in the league. For the season he averaged 2.4 blocks (2nd league wide) and 1.6 steals (18th), good for a combined total of 4.0 per contest (1st). The best defensive counting statistics we have place him at the apex, a case bolstered by the eye test, which pegs him as a whirling dervish of stifling limbs and maniacal help rotations. It’s also worth remembering that he’s arriving at these numbers in less than 30 minutes of game time each night.

Dig deeper and the assessment stands up to further scrutiny. This season there were only four players who saw as much court time and were as likely to record a block. The same metric for steals places only thirteen names in front of him. Again, when these are combined, it is Isaac that tops the chart.

Elsewhere one might think that JI’s case starts to weaken somewhat. Advanced ratings like defensive rating, defensive win shares, and defensive box plus/minus all seem to favor some guy by the name of Giannis Antetokounmpo. However, it is worth noting that he benefits by playing for the league’s best team defense in Milwaukee, and as such it is almost impossible to separate his case from that of his teammates. Just imagine what Isaac would be capable of defensively if he was blessed with the same level of defensively-talented peers as Giannis!

The Greek Freak’s defensive numbers are a case for his team’s brilliance at that end of the court. JI’s are a case for his own individual brilliance. Giannis and the Bucks might take home the championship, but the Defensive Player of the Year award belongs to Isaac.

We already reviewed how his physical attributes translate perfectly on the court, but his ability to match those attributes with elite defensive ability is insane.

In Isaac’s sophomore season, he finished the year with a 1.0 defensive box +/- (DBPM). Defensive box +/- looks at how many more points a team received, due to someone’s contributions on the defensive end. 1.0 may seem a bit low, but let’s look at who he’s surrounded by. Chris Paul (1.1), Jimmy Butler (0.9), Joel Embiid (0.9), and Kawhi Leonard (1.1), all had very similar numbers at the end of the year.

This past season, Isaac made a huge jump on the defensive end, ending his season with a 2.9 DBPM. Now, many will claim his shortened season is the reason behind such a high number. However, the cut off for DBPM looks to be around 40 games at the season cut off. So theoretically, Isaac missed the cut off by just 8-10 games, which wouldn’t drastically change his numbers. So let’s drop Isaac’s DBPM to 2.5 as a means for making up those games. Isaac would slot in somewhere around the eight/nine spot for DBPM rankings this season. Ahead of Draymond Green, Paul George, and Joel Embiid who all hadn’t played significantly more games than Isaac.

He has already started to mold into one of the game’s better defenders, just a couple years into his career. Not to mention, Isaac averaged 2.4 blocks per game, an astounding number for any NBA player.

Isaac certainly has some room to grow on the defensive end, but nearly every single defensive metric and meaningful stat have seen exponential growth since his rookie season. He’s now starting to polish those defensive skills even more, which should be a scary sight for every single player in the league.

Okayyyyyyyyyy!
God DAMN IT Style!!!! :doublefinger:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Style wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:25 am With the 66th pick, the Boston Celtics select:

Jonathan Isaac

Okayyyyyyyyyy!
nice job.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Isaac is a great pick. I hoped he'd slide and I could trade up.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
bombers3shooter

Issac and Doncic are my two young guys on other teams that I really like to watch. I think Issac takes another step this year. Pretty cool team Style two 7 footers that can play wing and create their own shot off the dribble. Issac just started to scratch the surface last year before the injury. If he takes another step he is scary. Already pretty much a dude that can lock down 1-5. Orlando should build around him and let him eat on offense!
Style

Post by Style »

I was heavily considering a trade down, but just couldn’t get over the thought of losing Isaac. I considered him since rd2.
Style

Post by Style »

bombers3shooter wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:09 am Issac and Doncic are my two young guys on other teams that I really like to watch. I think Issac takes another step this year. Pretty cool team Style two 7 footers that can play wing and create their own shot off the dribble. Issac just started to scratch the surface last year before the injury. If he takes another step he is scary. Already pretty much a dude that can lock down 1-5. Orlando should build around him and let him eat on offense!
Agree. They’ve got a bit of a front court jam with Isaac, Vucevic, Gordon, and Bamba. I’d like to see Gersson get in on some of that. Ideally Isaac, but Bamba would be an intriguing flier next to KAT as well.
Hoop Dreams

Re: **9th Annual NBA froob Draft** #68 Hoop is otc

Post by Hoop Dreams »

With the 68th pick, the Orlando Magic select,

OG Anunoby (10. 7 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 1.4 spg)

Only 22 and already turning into one of the best defensive players in the league. The dude literally guards every position - 24% of the time he defends small forwards, 24% of the time on shooting guards, 22% on power forwards, 16% on point guards, and 13% on centers.
If you could pick any player in the NBA to make a stop in isolation, who would it be? If you ask ESPN's Tim Bontemps and Nate Duncan of the Dunc'd On Podcast, the answer is Toronto's OG Anunoby.
Oh yeah, he can also shoot (38% from three).

PG: Kemba Walker
SG: James Harden
SF: OG Anunoby
PF:
C: DeAndre Ayton