Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

DLo on the New KAT

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
thinktank

Re: DLo on the New KAT

Post by thinktank »

Neither path is absurd.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:37 pm
thinktank wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:31 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:02 pm

agree that booker is better. disagree completely about what that means. in a vacuum, yes, he's better - but on the twolves, no. we already have two very good creative scorers who can get mid-25s every night on this team. beasley is the third wheel who thrives playing off the ball in that situation - getting 18+ while not cutting into KAT and Dlo's numbers. (which is what a ball dominant guy like booker would do.) beasley is a hardworking, opportunistic beneficiary of playing off those two - unlike what we saw with andrew, which was a guy who stood around watching until it was "his turn". i foresee the same sort of logjam pecking order kluge with booker on the team.

watch booker, KAT and dlo all average 23 ppg (total 69) - and then watch KAT and Dlo average 25 ppg - and beasley average 18 ppg (total 68). you seriously want to spend that much more cash to add a point?
Well, I disagree with you that scoring distribution is the right way to look at it.

Booker, if acquired, is the best scorer on the team, in the sense that, in the 4th quarter, he would be the best option to be able to either score, get to the FT line (91%—wow), or pull gravity to create an opportunity for KAT or DLo.

The game isn’t won on paper. To win during crunch time, we need a true triple threat player who can either shoot, dribble, or pass. Booker is that threat and Beasley is not (because Beasley can’t dribble or pass).
see i think we already have two of those "triple threat" players in KAT and DLo. if neither of those guys can get you a basket in crunch time, something's amiss. that's their skill set and they are both very good at it. while beasley isn't as good of a creater as booker, he still very much has to be accounted for because of his deep ball - and that's all you need to help KAT and Dlo. in the past, people almost dared us to pass the ball to andrew because he wasn't a reliable deep threat plus he didn't know how to put the ball on the floor. beasley is entirely a different cat because teams know he's a deadly deep ball guy. booker seems like entirely a $30M redundancy in light of that.

i'll add this. we pay KAT $30M+ as one of the most multi-dimensional elite big man scorers the nba has ever seen. you think we need to add another $30M+ guy to take the ball out of his hands at crunch time? especially when he's already got an aggressive deep ball threat like beasley and an all around scoring threat like DLo with him on the floor? it's frankly absurd logic.
It doesn't necessarily take the ball out of his hands, but it certainly makes it easier on him if other players have to be a target for the defense. This is what it boils down for to me, to have a definitive targeted player makes it easier for the other targeted players to excel. Beasley may end up in that position. but at present Booker is definitely one of those guys other teams have to focus attention on. They'll all get their points, there is no doubt about that. We'd score ridiculously high numbers, and will probably be getting a higher percentage of shots in, which will account for the opposition scoring freely as well (assuming they will miss 1 shot every 3 whilst we miss one ever 4). This is basketball now.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

thinktank wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:09 pm Neither path is absurd.
It's a win win, which is why it's so foreign to us. When can we say we have been so fortunate?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

How much better is a Dlo, Booker, Kat lineup than Lolvine, Wiggy and Towns?

I say it's better but by how much?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:35 pm How much better is a Dlo, Booker, Kat lineup than Lolvine, Wiggy and Towns?

I say it's better but by how much?
about 3.50
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

well - in general - i hate the trend to score score score, with defense playing less and less of a role. if the NBA wants to turn itself into a basketball version of arena football, i guess they will. but i hate the trend.

and let's remember that arena football folded.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:13 am well - in general - i hate the trend to score score score, with defense playing less and less of a role. if the NBA wants to turn itself into a basketball version of arena football, i guess they will. but i hate the trend.

Just wait. A smart coach and GM is coming to change that. NBA is all trends. All are either reactions to the current norm or an all time great arrives. Lakers and Celtics were reaction to half court big ball. They were big but both pushed the ball and ran and passed. And both had all time stars. Then the whole league ran like crazy and scored like crazy to try to be like them. Then the Pistons came and played 10 tough guys and defended. Then the league tried to play like that. Then Jordan got another all time great and they won. With Bigs that never scored. Then Jordan retired and Hou won by milking a big and hitting 3's off him. Teams trying to build styles instead of building to counter those styles is ludicrous.

Soon it will be go back to playing size and getting stars to lead defenses. No switch everything lazy bullshit. That shit kills me since the one overriding NBA rule throughout time is find the mismatches. You just give good smart teams mismatches. You don't even make them work for them. Someone will understand that making more 2's and FT's is more efficient than shooting 3's. That rebounding 5 and playing half court ball is how you beat these chuck and duck teams. Clips and Mia likely to be the start. Sad part is how close we are to that. How perfectly that fits our best players. And how stupid out current style is to be absolutely counter to that.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

and i still say adding booker to our group - including the losses we'd incur dealing for him - is absurd. 3 players we will pay over $90M a year to - a combined 15 years in the league - and an overall record of 359-650. a winning percentage of .356.

russell - 107-210 (.338)
towns - 151-207 (.422)
booker - 101-233 (.302)

these are the guys christian laettner would walk around the locker room pointing to and saying "loser... loser.... loser".
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:02 pm and i still say adding booker to our group - including the losses we'd incur dealing for him - is absurd. 3 players we will pay over $90M a year to - a combined 15 years in the league - and an overall record of 359-650. a winning percentage of .356.

russell - 107-210 (.338)
towns - 151-207 (.422)
booker - 101-233 (.302)

these are the guys christian laettner would walk around the locker room pointing to and saying "loser... loser.... loser".
We are a better team with Beasley. I believe significantly. More so if you consider the extra space.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:44 am
somuchyummy wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:13 am well - in general - i hate the trend to score score score, with defense playing less and less of a role. if the NBA wants to turn itself into a basketball version of arena football, i guess they will. but i hate the trend.

Just wait. A smart coach and GM is coming to change that. NBA is all trends. All are either reactions to the current norm or an all time great arrives. Lakers and Celtics were reaction to half court big ball. They were big but both pushed the ball and ran and passed. And both had all time stars. Then the whole league ran like crazy and scored like crazy to try to be like them. Then the Pistons came and played 10 tough guys and defended. Then the league tried to play like that. Then Jordan got another all time great and they won. With Bigs that never scored. Then Jordan retired and Hou won by milking a big and hitting 3's off him. Teams trying to build styles instead of building to counter those styles is ludicrous.

Soon it will be go back to playing size and getting stars to lead defenses. No switch everything lazy bullshit. That shit kills me since the one overriding NBA rule throughout time is find the mismatches. You just give good smart teams mismatches. You don't even make them work for them. Someone will understand that making more 2's and FT's is more efficient than shooting 3's. That rebounding 5 and playing half court ball is how you beat these chuck and duck teams. Clips and Mia likely to be the start. Sad part is how close we are to that. How perfectly that fits our best players. And how stupid out current style is to be absolutely counter to that.
THIBBS had the perfect opportunity here to do that. He had young players that were young and ready to run through a wall to learn how to win.

He pissed it away. Brought in a real dickhead and then filled the roster with old shit. He was supposed to ramp up the D and figure out how to modernize to today’s game somewhat with a bit of his old school standard hoops mixed in.

He ended up shitting on his youth and took the offense to far back in time.....he lost them and they lost interest in learning anything from him and it blew up.

I like the way the Raptors play, they have the right mix IMO.

There are only a couple Teams that can play the 3pt bomb basketball reliably. The amount of empty possessions when watching games was gross. The Wolves could have won so many more games by simply capitalizing on other teams empty possessions by just going inside and getting 2 points - instead they returned the favor by jacking up more 3’s and empty possessions. The mandate for so many 3pt shots per game was the worst thing ever. I am hoping the mandated 3’s was just to help instill a confidence into the players to shoot when they are open, and that they pull the mandate part of it out of the plan now that players get it.

Watching KAT jack up 3 after 3 in crunch time when the Wolves could have been in position to win by just putting some points on the board was really hard and almost vomit inducing.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

karl is one of the best three point shooters in the league - and especially effective because of his size and unblockability. but your last paragraph nailed it on the head. that shouldn't be your bread and butter in crunch time because there are so many better and more efficient ways to get 2 points. you piss away possessions - especially when you've got a lead at the end of games - by not just being patient and working for a great percentage two. instead it was as though WE were playing catchup ball ourselves - bombing away early in the shot clock, even though we had the lead!
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

I hate it, as many others. But as has been pointed out, this seems to be a direct response to the Malice in the Palace.

I wish it was hard nosed basketball. When old school videos of Marbury and KG are posted, it is the BEST of basketball. The D, the elite ability to score. Now it is far too easy. It is what it is, we have to go with the flow.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

well, i've stated this before - but i'm not so sure anyone "has" to go with the flow. get together a tough team that plays great D and beats people up for the full 48 minutes and three things happen: 1) we'd probably make the playoffs but not win anything - BUT - 2) NO ONE likes to play us and 3) it's something you could market to the fans and gain a sense of pride in. we're the tough guys that play old school ball and beat people up. seriously, people love that - i know i do. for too long we've simply been the inconsequential losers who whine and register as little more than minor speed bumps for the better teams in the league.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:23 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:02 pm and i still say adding booker to our group - including the losses we'd incur dealing for him - is absurd. 3 players we will pay over $90M a year to - a combined 15 years in the league - and an overall record of 359-650. a winning percentage of .356.

russell - 107-210 (.338)
towns - 151-207 (.422)
booker - 101-233 (.302)

We are a better team with Beasley. I believe significantly. More so if you consider the extra space.
Booker provides more space and gravity than Beasley.

Close to same 3FG% last year right?

Then check usage.

Then check assists.

Booker is dangerous off the dribble.

Beasley is not.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

thinktank wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:04 pm

russell - 107-210 (.338)
towns - 151-207 (.422)
booker - 101-233 (.302)

Then check usage.

Then check assists.

Beasley is not.
i honestly don't know what you mean by space and gravity. sounds like made up terms of the moment. there's only so much space on the court. and teams do have to account for beasley - because, unlike wigs - who stood in the corner and patiently waited for his turn with the ball - beasley moves all the time and aggressively looks for his shot. he absolutely has to be accounted for. and not only that - he wants the shot - he's not a blank decoy and opponents know that.

as for assists, booker and rubio were the guys that did the bulk of the ballhandling and distributing on that team. 8.9 per game for ricky and 6.8 for booker. but teamwise they averaged a only little over 2 more assists per game than we did - while we averaged about a point per game more than the suns. they are two different teams, different personnel, different roles.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:56 pm
thinktank wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:04 pm

Then check usage.

Then check assists.

Beasley is not.
i honestly don't know what you mean by space and gravity. sounds like made up terms of the moment. there's only so much space on the court. and teams do have to account for beasley - because, unlike wigs - who stood in the corner and patiently waited for his turn with the ball - beasley moves all the time and aggressively looks for his shot. he absolutely has to be accounted for. and not only that - he wants the shot - he's not a blank decoy and opponents know that.

as for assists, booker and rubio were the guys that did the bulk of the ballhandling and distributing on that team. 8.9 per game for ricky and 6.8 for booker. but teamwise they averaged a only little over 2 more assists per game than we did - while we averaged about a point per game more than the suns. they are two different teams, different personnel, different roles.
Spacing and gravity are not made up NBA player attributes.

Booker spaces a floor better than Beasley because:

1. He’s a better shooter than Beasley as evidenced by the same 3FG% last year although Booker had 10% more usage.

2. Booker is more dangerous than Beasley after they catch the ball because Beasley can’t handle it.

3. Booker is more dangerous than Beasley after they catch the ball because Beasley can’t pass it.

These three differences between Booker and Beasley are why Booker provides more spacing and has more gravity than Beasley. In short, Booker is more dangerous than Beasley both without and with the ball.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

as i said, booker is a better player than beasley. but on our team, i think that difference is mitigated by a number of factors.

1. he costs twice as much (and we're talking significant millions here) than beasley.

2. maybe he's improved, but in 2019 BR rated booker the worst defender in the league at the SG position. that's a big hole to climb out from ... but let's add that to...

3. Karl Anthony Towns, ranked 69 of 70 centers in D (espn real plus/minus) this season ... and

4. and DAngelo Russell, ranked out in the 8th percentile defensively by Synergy Sports.

i fully recognize that beasley isn't a good defender. but booker/kat/russell will eat up so much of our cap that who the hell will we add to that who can help right that horrible situation? at least with beasley on board, we'd have more chance in that dept.

adding booker will mean we don't sign beasley - will mean that culver (one of our best young defenders) and johnson (another one of our better defenders) and any chance we have at a good defender in the lotto (okongwu? vassell? okoro?) will ALL not be on the team and part of that trade. plus we have NO first rounder in 2021.

our squad will seriously be one of the worst - if not THE worst - defending team in the history of history. being a bad defending team is one thing - but being an historically bad defending team is entirely another.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:38 pm as i said, booker is a better player than beasley. but on our team, i think that difference is mitigated by a number of factors.

1. he costs twice as much (and we're talking significant millions here) than beasley.

2. maybe he's improved, but in 2019 BR rated booker the worst defender in the league at the SG position. that's a big hole to climb out from ... but let's add that to...

3. Karl Anthony Towns, ranked 69 of 70 centers in D (espn real plus/minus) this season ... and

4. and DAngelo Russell, ranked out in the 8th percentile defensively by Synergy Sports.

i fully recognize that beasley isn't a good defender. but booker/kat/russell will eat up so much of our cap that who the hell will we add to that who can help right that horrible situation? at least with beasley on board, we'd have more chance in that dept.

adding booker will mean we don't sign beasley - will mean that culver (one of our best young defenders) and johnson (another one of our better defenders) and any chance we have at a good defender in the lotto (okongwu? vassell? okoro?) will ALL not be on the team and part of that trade. plus we have NO first rounder in 2021.

our squad will seriously be one of the worst - if not THE worst - defending team in the history of history. being a bad defending team is one thing - but being an historically bad defending team is entirely another.
Booker and Beasley are pretty much a draw on D.

And you think Beasley will get 15M/year? Not sure about that.

I’m satisfied with ending this conversation here and then I’ll give you the last word:

I think Booker is worth his contract on the Wolves.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

thinktank wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:40 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:38 pm as i said, booker is a better player than beasley. but on our team, i think that difference is mitigated by a number of factors.

I’m satisfied with ending this conversation here and then I’ll give you the last word:

sorry i'm continuing. but we can end it. and yes, in a coronaNBA scene, i think a 4 year $56M deal ($14M/yr) is realistic. guys could very well be looking for stability - the wolves could provide that in the way of a 4 year deal, plus legit starting PT for a 23 year old who came to us seeing his PT slip in denver. so i think keeping him - keeping the savings - keeping culver's projected D and improved play - and keeping a shot at a starting PF in the draft (hopefully OO) trumps what we'd get in booker. seeing as adding him means minusing all the other stuff. AND no first rounder in 2021. and yeah, our D would stink to high heaven with no solution possible with our big three and their projected PT.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

jodaman01 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:27 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:44 am

THIBBS had the perfect opportunity here to do that. He had young players that were young and ready to run through a wall to learn how to win.

He pissed it away. Brought in a real dickhead and then filled the roster with old shit. He was supposed to ramp up the D and figure out how to modernize to today’s game somewhat with a bit of his old school standard hoops mixed in.

He ended up shitting on his youth and took the offense to far back in time.....he lost them and they lost interest in learning anything from him and it blew up.

I like the way the Raptors play, they have the right mix IMO.

There are only a couple Teams that can play the 3pt bomb basketball reliably. The amount of empty possessions when watching games was gross. The Wolves could have won so many more games by simply capitalizing on other teams empty possessions by just going inside and getting 2 points - instead they returned the favor by jacking up more 3’s and empty possessions. The mandate for so many 3pt shots per game was the worst thing ever. I am hoping the mandated 3’s was just to help instill a confidence into the players to shoot when they are open, and that they pull the mandate part of it out of the plan now that players get it.

Watching KAT jack up 3 after 3 in crunch time when the Wolves could have been in position to win by just putting some points on the board was really hard and almost vomit inducing.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
:lol: Thibs blew it? Towns wanted everyone from the owner on down to blow him and when Thibs and Butler didn't he showed just how important winning was to him. That team was a TITLE contender if Towns just played hard and didn't buck. That failure is entirely on Towns and Taylor. Proven by every game before and after.

You are 100% correct on the other point. The jack a 3 "style" is a joke. All made off one team that shot the 3 well and everyone forgets that the reason it worked was they were a top defensive team as well and maybe the best passing team of all time. Oh, and had 2 of the greatest shooters of all time. They fooled other teams into trying to play their way. They took good 3's off great passing against bad D. Then played good D and watched the other team take bad 3's to try to keep up. Just look at the other team that won a lot off that strategy in Hou. How they do come playoff time? Too dependent on one guy, that one guy a crap defender, but you can't take him off the floor or make up for his D. Crunch time come........passing? Nope. Harden taking and missing worse and worse shots.

No team, even the best 3 shooting team, can hit them consistently. Plus they all play small and can't contend with a rim attacking team. They can't stop it. They can't keep from fouling. That is a lot less transition open 3's. That's more half court contested 3's. And if you just stay with them 2 for 3 when they are hot, you can crush them hitting 2's and FT's when they are cold.

It's coming soon. The best teams at the top are going to be defenders. They will learn the switch everything defense is a joke and makes it harder to defend both the 3 and the rim. It leads to constant mismatches. Then in a knee jerk reaction it's the small ball so good bye rebounding. The moronic thought that you need to take the 3 away is laughable. Why would you want a team to not take a low % shot? You do the exact same thing you do on a post play. Make it a little harder. Get a good contest. Make them take it from a foot farther. Make them take it against the clock. Let them jack an early shot and blitz them off the spot late in the clock. So easy. Just let them take a low % shot and drop it a couple points by playing smart D. Then get the board with your superior size.

The joke of the idiot and his idiot boy is how we are perfectly made to play that way. Our 2 crazy good offensive players are half court players. And playing that way would help our D 100% by giving the other team less early offense. We have great size and length if we would play it and have a great chance to add to it in the draft. You don't play D trying to stop what teams are trying to do. You just make it harder. Make them uncomfortable. Make them think. Then consistently score on the other end and add more pressure. There is no game planning for hard smart D. For bad ass old school help and recover D. You shoot hot or they shoot cold or you lose.

Everyone thinks the Pistons D was some kind of bully ball, or cheap, or cheating. The Pistons D was just good coaching and tough minded players. And remember Daley was an offensive coach. He was just smart enough to see what he had and coach to their strengths. Imagine that. They put an end to the run and gun era. By cheap shot fouling? Nope. They played bad ass half court inside out offense. Put the ball through the rim consistently and drew a ton of fouls. That took away the fast breaks. They played size and rebounded winning the possession battle. And they played 10 guys consistently staying fresh at all times. The reason they got called the Bad Boys was because of all the scuffles with totally frustrated opponents. That is not some genius scheme or cheating. It was just a commitment to playing hard and efficiently. And making the other team uncomfortable is the key in all sports. Pressure bursts pipes.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:40 pm

Sink every dollar into 3 guys who won't play D and are all friends who can get together and convince themselves they shouldn't have to. Then we can watch those friendships fall apart when surprisingly enough there is only one ball for 3 guys who want the shot.
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

I can't resist ...

The Wolves were very close to worst defending team in NBA history over the last 14 (post trade) games. But I'm reminded of your love for Toppin at the top of the draft. Toppin would put the Wolves over the top without the need for Booker.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

KATMANDUDE wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:58 am

I can't resist ...

The Wolves were very close to worst defending team in NBA history over the last 14 (post trade) games. But I'm reminded of your love for Toppin at the top of the draft. Toppin would put the Wolves over the top without the need for Booker.
yes i do think we should get a PF with our lottery pick - but i've been very clear that my preference is okongwu over toppin. toppin's D has been meh - but as has been pointed out by thrill - he was the focal point on the dayton team's offense. here he'd be number 4 and, if willing - i know... that's an if, he'd have the "opportunity" to focus his efforts more defensively. i don't entirely buy that - which is why i'd be much happier landing OO than toppin. but yeah, not ball or edwards - i want a PF.

and here's the final thing: both OO's and toppin's nba defense is but yet a projection. we really don't know how it will play out over time. what we DO know - as it has played out in real time in nba game situations - is that KAT, Dlo and booker are ALL atrocious defenders. no projection needed there.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Look where the NBA is going. Defense is out the window.

And, it’s easier to find defense than offense. You need three kick ass offensive players to win. That’s always been the most important thing in the NBA. Offense.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I just read someone said Thibs was not at fault for the mess he made and left here. Wow.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

I’m all for us trading for booker. That’d be a hell of a big 3 and may entice players to want to come here. If we fail to live up to expectations it’ll be because towns wasn’t the superstar we all pegged him to be
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:30 am I just read someone said Thibs was not at fault for the mess he made and left here. Wow.
Thibs made us a top 3 team in the west and we would have continued to improve under him if Towns didn't buck.

And the mess left here was an entitled star who talks about winning and won't give the effort required to actually win. So Taylor actually backs him and hires his friend to coach and then trades for another. All the while Jimmy Butler making Mia into a legit team and talking non stop about how their young guys bust ass and take shit seriously. Wonder why he wanted to leave.

Bury that head in the sand though. Towns screams WINNER. Taylor is a great owner. All Thibs and Butler do is win everywhere they go. Have you heard of the winning thing? It's that thing we do once every 15 years. If I remember correctly...........................weren't Jimmy and Thibs here for that?