Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

NBA Returns July 31st

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Corre Ricky Corre

Re: NBA Returns July 31st

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

The NBA has set the Draft Lottery for August 25, with the actual NBA Draft to be held on October 15.
It remains to be seen how teams evaluate players, since the typical combine is likely a non-starter in the midst of a pandemic. Details are steadily falling into place for a resumption of the season, and players like Anthony Edwards, LaMelo Ball and Isaac Okoro should be in an NBA jersey before too long. Another halting step toward normalcy.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:53 pm i might be wrong about all of this. just from looking at what they've set up though - it looks like they're going a straight "best records get in" format regardless of conference. can someone confirm this - cuz i am just hunching here from what i've seen with who's included in these final 8 games.
considering they picked teams from each conference within 6 games of the playoffs in THEIR conference I think conferences stay the same. That would mean Brooklyn only has to beat out the Wizards.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

wolves season over. i really don't understand this resumption in august unless it's a chance to salvage some money for the owners. but how much money are they thinking? it feels too contrived to me.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:03 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:53 pm i might be wrong about all of this. just from looking at what they've set up though - it looks like they're going a straight "best records get in" format regardless of conference. can someone confirm this - cuz i am just hunching here from what i've seen with who's included in these final 8 games.
considering they picked teams from each conference within 6 games of the playoffs in THEIR conference I think conferences stay the same. That would mean Brooklyn only has to beat out the Wizards.
got it. thanks. and that does seem like a massive turd the nets will have to lay to be caught by the wizards. i think we're good. somewhat of a klugefest in the west though.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Mitch Lawrence made a good point with Barreiro. If Zion and the Pelicans are in the 8th spot in the West, they aren't bothering with any of these "regular season" games. It'd be right to the playoffs.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:09 pm Michael Jordan was "outspoken" on a recent call, "[A]dvocating for player safety and not having players have to return for meaningless games following a four-plus month hiatus." We're anticipating the final details on Thursday.
I disagree on the concept of "meaningless". For a team like the Wolves, with a ton of young players, letting them get a chance to play in real NBA games is important moving forward to evaluate them and get them some experience.

But, in the end, who really cares.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:41 pm wolves season over. i really don't understand this resumption in august unless it's a chance to salvage some money for the owners. but how much money are they thinking? it feels too contrived to me.
Because they need to finish the year.

Hockey is coming back also.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:11 pm
weimy froob wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:41 pm wolves season over. i really don't understand this resumption in august unless it's a chance to salvage some money for the owners. but how much money are they thinking? it feels too contrived to me.

why though?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:15 pm

why though?
Because teams have earned the right for a chance at a championship.

Why not?

Sports are coming back. UFC never stopped. Boxing finally.comes back on Tuesday.

Enough hiding under the beds.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:18 pm

why though?

Why not?

Sports are coming back. UFC never stopped. Boxing finally.comes back on Tuesday.

follow the money. who's making money while these teams play that "have earned the right for a chance at a championship"? after a five month break? oh boy that championship is going to be savored for decades. :lol:
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:28 pm

why though?

Why not?

follow the money. who's making money while these teams play that "have earned the right for a chance at a championship"? after a five month break? oh boy that championship is going to be savored for decades. :lol:
It's still a championship. It's going to be fun to watch. I would agree if they were only part way through the year but it was almost complete.

No harm letting them play.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:40 pm

Why not?

It's still a championship. It's going to be fun to watch. I would agree if they were only part way through the year but it was almost complete.

it could very well be fun to watch from the stand point of this is unusual. and it'll pick up it's own type of momentum once the playoffs start-but they also are screwing up the beginning of the next season. there has to be a financial gain for the owners to not just write the season off and just start back up again with the next season. you can't be telling me that these owners are going to re-start a season in august just for a chance for one team to win a trophy.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

weimy froob wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:47 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:40 pm

it could very well be fun to watch from the stand point of this is unusual. and it'll pick up it's own type of momentum once the playoffs start-but they also are screwing up the beginning of the next season. there has to be a financial gain for the owners to not just write the season off and just start back up again with the next season. you can't be telling me that these owners are going to re-start a season in august just for a chance for one team to win a trophy.
I'm sure it is about money, it always is.

They will be fine. The season will be delayed a couple months. These guys play basketball all year round anyway.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:03 pm
Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:09 pm Michael Jordan was "outspoken" on a recent call, "[A]dvocating for player safety and not having players have to return for meaningless games following a four-plus month hiatus." We're anticipating the final details on Thursday.
I disagree on the concept of "meaningless". For a team like the Wolves, with a ton of young players, letting them get a chance to play in real NBA games is important moving forward to evaluate them and get them some experience.

The wolves would have had the advantage too. They are accustomed to playing in front of no one this time of year. :lol:

IALTO

Sorry, there have been too many cheap shots lately that have been too easy.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:21 am
mlhouse wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:03 pm

The wolves would have had the advantage too. They are accustomed to playing in front of no one this time of year. :lol:

IALTO

Sorry, there have been too many cheap shots lately that have been too easy.
No doubt!