Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Kevin Garnett - “Won’t Entertain Wolves Jersey Retirement”

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
UnFadeable21

Kevin Garnett - “Won’t Entertain Wolves Jersey Retirement”

Post by UnFadeable21 »

KG on the thought of allowing the Glen Taylor and the Timberwolves to retire his jersey: “I’m not entertaining it.”

Said he doesn’t deal with snakes

“I don’t do business with snake mu’fuckas"

When KG was traded back here, he was promised by Flip Saunders that Glen Taylor would sell the team to KG but when Flip died, Glen Taylor refused that deal.

“The fact that we’re all being congratulated and honored, not having Kob’ is going to affect everybody,” Garnett told The Athletic. “He had such a pivotal part in the game itself, not just influence, but creation. I’d like to think that Kob’ created inadvertently an originality about himself.

Timmy is the same thing. They both are unprecedented, not only athletes, but people. I feel more than honored to go in with these two, but Kobe not being there is going to be super emotional for everybody. The fact that the three of us actually pushed the other two into whether it was awards, All-Stars, battles, rings — we all three pushed the lines."

“Glen knows where I’m at, I’m not entertaining it. First of all, it’s not genuine. Two, he’s getting pressure from a lot of fans and, I guess, the community there. Glen and I had an understanding before Flip died, and when Flip died, that understanding went with Flip. For that, I won’t forgive Glen. I won’t forgive him for that. I thought he was a straight up person, straight up business man, and when Flip died, everything went with him.”

“There’s no reason to complain. Just continue to move on. My years in Minnesota and in that community, I cherish. At this point, I don’t want any dealings with Glen Taylor or Taylor Corp. or anything that has to do with him. I love my Timberwolves, I’ll always love my guys, I’ll always love the people who fuck with me there. I’ll always have a special place for the city of Minneapolis and the state of Minnesota in my heart. “
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Kevin Garnett - “Won’t Entertain Wolves Jersey Retirement”

Post by RubeTube »

Such a class act is KG.

One of the fakest tough guys the NBA has ever seen.

Even a younger me and loving the Wolves I never really cared much for KG.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:37 pm Such a class act is KG.

I concur with this.
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Fuck him then.

Pretends to care for the fans. Won’t swallow his pride for one night to let those same fans have their moment with his by retiring his jersey.

Glen isn’t hurt by this as much as the fans are.
focker

Post by focker »

As much as I used to like KG back in the day, he's pretty much a POS...
Top 4 Froob 2021!!!
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Flip passing away so soon changed everything. I have no doubt there was likely a handshake agreement in place to work through everything over time and eventually Flip and KG end up with some ownership pieces in the team.

It all became real to fast and Taylor wasn’t ready to back away.... when it all happened so quickly.

I have a hard time blaming either one at this point for their anger. KG at some point if he really still wanted to work a deal with Taylor to own some of the Team, would be smart to try and get to a workable relationship. Business is fucked up Business, tying such close personal feelings into it only makes it worse.

I don’t expect anything good out of this in the foreseeable future. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Let me get this straight...

If the story is true, Glen offered KG ownership, or part ownership (likely with Flip included in the deal). Flip died, and Glen rescinded the offer to KG...now some of you think KG is supposed to be happy with a jersey retirement consolation prize when just a few years ago he was supposedly offered ownership?
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

jodaman01 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:05 pm Flip passing away so soon changed everything. I have no doubt there was likely a handshake agreement in place to work through everything over time and eventually Flip and KG end up with some ownership pieces in the team.

It all became real to fast and Taylor wasn’t ready to back away.... when it all happened so quickly.

I have a hard time blaming either one at this point for their anger. KG at some point if he really still wanted to work a deal with Taylor to own some of the Team, would be smart to try and get to a workable relationship. Business is fucked up Business, tying such close personal feelings into it only makes it worse.

I don’t expect anything good out of this in the foreseeable future. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Well said bro, faults on both sides.

Can’t blame Glen because you couldn’t discuss selling a team to a active player.

Can’t blame KG if Glen gave him his word like in Jerry McGuire, my word is stronger than oak.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:37 pm
jodaman01 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:05 pm Flip passing away so soon changed everything. I have no doubt there was likely a handshake agreement in place to work through everything over time and eventually Flip and KG end up with some ownership pieces in the team.

Can’t blame Glen because you couldn’t discuss selling a team to a active player.

Can’t blame KG if Glen gave him his word like in Jerry McGuire, my word is stronger than oak.
I think he might be pissed about not being brought back in the Thibs era too.

God forbid we didn't pay him too much money to ride the pine with ice bags on his knees while he tough talks opponents.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hummdrum

Post by Hummdrum »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:37 pm Such a class act is KG.

I didn't really care for him much learning things about what he was like after maybe 4-5 years here or less. One time a writer for ESPN Magazine (long gone now) was on the radio with Barriero talking about his one on one interview with Garnett for the magazine. Barrerio asked, "so you got to sit down and have a conversation, just you and him ?" The writer said, "No, it was just us but he wasn't talking to me. He was talking to someone above or below me, but he wasn't talking to me."

Other thoughts are that it was probably important for Kevin to own a team like Jordan has for years. (mostly the owner). It was important to his ego and had his heart set on it. Who knows what kind of offer Garnett was going to give, maybe it was not enough. He might have used Flip as a wedge to make it get discussed. Glen changed his mind and now Garnett is pissed.
Sky Spy in the Sky !
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:42 pm

God forbid we didn't pay him too much money to ride the pine with ice bags on his knees while he tough talks opponents.
KG was under contract when the Thibs era came...KG retired. So he can't be pissed that he wasn't brought back for the Thibs era.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:00 pm

KG was under contract when the Thibs era came...KG retired. So he can't be pissed that he wasn't brought back for the Thibs era.
Was he not pretty much forced out though? Everyone here used to bitch about Thibs for not bringing him back. I never really gave it much thought as KG was a shell of himself at that point.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/19/1535 ... -ownership
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:06 pm

Was he not pretty much forced out though? Everyone here used to bitch about Thibs for not bringing him back. I never really gave it much thought as KG was a shell of himself at that point.
If he was forced out, you would think there would be a trade or a buyout, but there wasn't. He retired. Him retiring shows there was no force to remove him. They could've asked him to retire, and he could've just simply said "no", and forced his own buyout if they were trying to get rid of him.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:14 pm

If he was forced out, you would think there would be a trade or a buyout, but there wasn't. He retired. Him retiring shows there was no force to remove him. They could've asked him to retire, and he could've just simply said "no", and forced his own buyout if they were trying to get rid of him.
What are you talking about? I never mentioned him being under any contract. Everyone knows he wanted to come back in some capacity.

You on the sauce again? SOBER UP!!

— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:16 pm

What are you talking about? I never mentioned him being under any contract. Everyone knows he wanted to come back in some capacity.

RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:18 pm

Dude, who the fuck was trading for a 40 year old KG :lol: He was completely shot before he even got here. He could play a couple games and then needed a week or two off. :lol:

Remember, he tried to go play for the Clippers? He was cooked. People bitched about it none stop though because he could yell at Karl to play D.

They would have bought him out if he insisted on coming back. Thibs didn't want him in his locker room. KG did the right thing and retired instead of forcing the issue.

Everyone knows that if Thibs would have told him to comeback he would have.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:23 pm

They would have bought him out if he insisted on coming back.
so, what the fuck are you arguing about then?

KG left. He retired. He didn't get forced out. He left money on the table.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:26 pm

You don't think he wanted to come back? They were plain and clear that they didn't want him. Forced out, nice about it, whatever.

The Wolves didn't want him back and he wanted to come back. I'm sure he didn't like that. What was happening with the Clippers at that time? I remember people saying he went there just to piss off Taylor. I can't honestly remember. Did they have some connection with something here?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:28 pm

You don't think he wanted to come back? They were plain and clear that they didn't want him. Forced out, nice about it, whatever.

The Wolves didn't want him back and he wanted to come back. I'm sure he didn't like that. What was happening with the Clippers at that time? I remember people saying he went there just to piss off Taylor. I can't honestly remember. Did they have some connection with something here?
Paul Pierce
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:30 pm

Paul Pierce
Ya but why did that matter here? I remember Wolves fans being salty as fuck about it when it was first announced.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:32 pm

Paul Pierce
Ya but why did that matter here? I remember Wolves fans being salty as fuck about it when it was first announced.
Because Wolves fans get salty. They couldn't just accept that KG retired with a year left. Then when he was a free man after retirement, everyone was wondering why he wasn't loyal to Andrew and KAT when he had his championship buddies in Doc and Truth in LAC?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:36 pm
Paul Pierce
Because Wolves fans get salty. They couldn't just accept that KG retired with a year left. Then when he was a free man after retirement, everyone was wondering why he wasn't loyal to Andrew and KAT when he had his championship buddies in Doc and Truth in LAC?
I think it was more the fact that Thibs didn't want him back and people were like "See, a better team than us wants him" It was short lived though as he had nothing left.in the tanknand became a consultant for them.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Paul Pierce
I thought there was some wolves connection there too but I just looked it up and don't see anything.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:39 pm

I think it was more the fact that Thibs didn't want him back and people were like "See, a better team than us wants him" It was short lived though as he had nothing left.in the tanknand became a consultant for them.
He definitely didn't have much left in the tank at all...and that's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that he had a year left on his contract, and if he wanted to stay, he could have played that card. He didn't want to stay.

The whole Clippers thing that people couldn't comprehend, was that KG had more loyalty to the guys he won a championship with (that he played numerous seasons with) that were now in LAC, than the young core of the Wolves that he spent a season and a half with.

Also, when has Thibs been shy of bringing back over the hill players?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:48 pm

He definitely didn't have much left in the tank at all...and that's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that he had a year left on his contract, and if he wanted to stay, he could have played that card. He didn't want to stay.

The whole Clippers thing that people couldn't comprehend, was that KG had more loyalty to the guys he won a championship with (that he played numerous seasons with) that were now in LAC, than the young core of the Wolves that he spent a season and a half with.
Dude, the article I just showed you had quotes from him...

"I told [head coach Tom Thibodeau] I want to work with him, but obviously me and [Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor] don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of things and that's how it's going to be"

Everyone knows this already.

Garnett would have been back if the Wolves had any interest and they didn't. He retired and looked for a opportunity elsewhere.

That was all Flip and Smitch. As soon as the new regime came in, they didn't want shit to do with his old ass. It's well documented.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:52 pm

"I told [head coach Tom Thibodeau] I want to work with him, but obviously me and [Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor] don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of things and that's how it's going to be"
Yep...again. He could've stayed if he wanted to...He didn't want to, he retired.

Him saying he didn't see eye to eye with Glen doesnt equal him being forced out. It equals him not wanting to be here.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:55 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:52 pm

Yep...again. He could've stayed if he wanted to...He didn't want to, he retired.

Him saying he didn't see eye to eye with Glen doesnt equal him being forced out. It equals him not wanting to be here.

:thumbsup:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***

Post by Night Train »

That sucks hearing more about this rivalry. It's a bad look for KG to be pouty like that, he'll get no sympathy from most fans that he isn't part owner of an NBA team. You'll be just fine KG, the man you have a beef with gave more than 100 million dollars to play a game you already loved. The least you could do is throw him, and especially the fans a fucking bone. Once it's retired, that's it, you don't need to do anything else ever again.
I apologize in advance if what I just said offended or upset you.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

I can't necessarily fault him for despising Glen. Taylor did KG absolutely NOTHING to help him in his career and then he pulled this shit on him after Flip died.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

KG is a bitch, Glen is an incompetent boob.

KG is partially at fault for his own teams situation by having loyalty to his boys like T-Hub.