Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Kevin Garnett - “Won’t Entertain Wolves Jersey Retirement”

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Re: Kevin Garnett - “Won’t Entertain Wolves Jersey Retirement”

Post by Decker23 »

KG needs to grow up. He's dead to me.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

And on the flip side... Randy Moss embraces his time with the Vikes, and #84 continues to be in the rotation for Allison, Patterson, and Irv Smith. The Vikings are dead to me as well for that.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:55 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:52 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:48 pm

He definitely didn't have much left in the tank at all...and that's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that he had a year left on his contract, and if he wanted to stay, he could have played that card. He didn't want to stay.

The whole Clippers thing that people couldn't comprehend, was that KG had more loyalty to the guys he won a championship with (that he played numerous seasons with) that were now in LAC, than the young core of the Wolves that he spent a season and a half with.
Dude, the article I just showed you had quotes from him...

"I told [head coach Tom Thibodeau] I want to work with him, but obviously me and [Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor] don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of things and that's how it's going to be"
Yep...again. He could've stayed if he wanted to...He didn't want to, he retired.

Him saying he didn't see eye to eye with Glen doesnt equal him being forced out. It equals him not wanting to be here.
Garnett was forced out.

Thibbs openly said that his voice was the only voice he wanted the players to hear, and yes that was aimed clearly at Garnett.....he was the only player on the Team that the other players would have looked at for leadership on the court.

Garnett had a plan in place with Saunders and Taylor, it was the only reason KG came back and the length of his contract probably was a projection as to when shit was supposed to start in motion or fall into place. The plan got blown apart on Saunders premature death.

Glen wasn’t ready or comfortable enough without Flip in the picture to move on at that point and went in a different direction with Thibbs as Overlord of basketball operations. Thibbs didn’t want KG around and potentially undercutting him as coach or as Overlord over GM and all things Timberwolves.

If you are KG do you stay in that situation? He didn’t and he was disillusioned and left angry........really angry.......and he is still clearly really angry today.

If you want to say he could have stayed another year, technically yes he could have.....but the reality was he would have had to swallow every bit of the dogshit being served and been neutered on the bench and lockeroom with a gag order from above. From everything we see and know about KG from all these years, what option do you think was most likely? GTFO or even more pain in staying for the BS above. Without needing the money he made the only decision that was a realistic option for him.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:52 pm
bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:48 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:39 pm

I think it was more the fact that Thibs didn't want him back and people were like "See, a better team than us wants him" It was short lived though as he had nothing left.in the tanknand became a consultant for them.
He definitely didn't have much left in the tank at all...and that's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that he had a year left on his contract, and if he wanted to stay, he could have played that card. He didn't want to stay.

The whole Clippers thing that people couldn't comprehend, was that KG had more loyalty to the guys he won a championship with (that he played numerous seasons with) that were now in LAC, than the young core of the Wolves that he spent a season and a half with.
Dude, the article I just showed you had quotes from him...

"I told [head coach Tom Thibodeau] I want to work with him, but obviously me and [Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor] don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of things and that's how it's going to be"

Everyone knows this already.

Garnett would have been back if the Wolves had any interest and they didn't. He retired and looked for a opportunity elsewhere.

That was all Flip and Smitch. As soon as the new regime came in, they didn't want shit to do with his old ass. It's well documented.
You are correct and Budu is wrong as usual.

Kg was forced out of his last year and no, he didn’t walk away from the money. He was still paid for that last season.

Thibs wanted full control and voice over the org. Kg was very mad about it which is why during the season, he was going from team to team, helping players in practice and seminars but he didn’t help the Wolves.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

KG is a tool. Always has been. Dumbest draft night interview I've ever seen to this day. Dude missed over $70 million being stolen by his non snake OBF. Great time to have this hit the web. Keep it negative, KG. Glen is NOT Flip. Glen can do whatever he wants. Flip didn't own shit, and had no right writing checks he couldn't guarantee would clear.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Two things. One, KG needs to realize this is for the fans, not Glen. Look past that piece and ascend to the rafters where he belongs. Two, KG was dead right about Glen, he doesn't know shit about basketball. Glen needs to go. The franchise will be better off without him. Horrific owner.
Let's get Tropical
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Man. I can't believe he wouldn't show respect for one of the best owners of such a class-act organization. I mean, this is shocking!
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

thank you donald. i'm not the world's biggest KG fan by any stretch - but seriously? again, seriously?!? rubes here bagging on KG, easily the best Twolf of all time and a HOFer that did most of his HOFing at target center to our delight - and instead you're backing the shit on the heel owner Glen Taylor who's kept this franchise in the nba dungeon since forever due to his utter and complete incompetence? i'm at a loss.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:29 pm Two things. One, KG needs to realize this is for the fans, not Glen. Look past that piece and ascend to the rafters where he belongs. Two, KG was dead right about Glen, he doesn't know shit about basketball. Glen needs to go. The franchise will be better off without him. Horrific owner.
Agreed. It's not for Glen and I do think KG realizes this, but he's the kind of guy that would set fire to every bridge just so he could stick it to Glen. That's just who he is. He wont give an inch. Taylor wants his number in the rafters so it looks good to fans and for the legacy of it.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:37 pm
jodaman01 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:05 pm Flip passing away so soon changed everything. I have no doubt there was likely a handshake agreement in place to work through everything over time and eventually Flip and KG end up with some ownership pieces in the team.

It all became real to fast and Taylor wasn’t ready to back away.... when it all happened so quickly.

I have a hard time blaming either one at this point for their anger. KG at some point if he really still wanted to work a deal with Taylor to own some of the Team, would be smart to try and get to a workable relationship. Business is fucked up Business, tying such close personal feelings into it only makes it worse.

I don’t expect anything good out of this in the foreseeable future. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Well said bro, faults on both sides.

Can’t blame Glen because you couldn’t discuss selling a team to a active player.

Can’t blame KG if Glen gave him his word like in Jerry McGuire, my word is stronger than oak.
Wow I actually agree with you two... :lol: :lol:
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

Just my opinion and nothing to back it but, I think the deal he had going was predicated on Flip being there to act as a buffer and mentor to KG in the front office. Once Flip was no longer available to be that, Glen bailed

I don't think Glen feels KG has the business sense to be a good front office/owner. He was fine with it with Flip to guide and be the primary face and not fine without him. Really I don't care about his number retirement. It means nothing now. They both are to full of themselves to do anything for the fans so screw them.

I am here for the team and the game. The owner and KG can just be as childish as they like...it means nothing to me any more.
My heart is family.
T_J

Post by T_J »

I've only skimmed through this thread but people are siding with fucking Glen?

Geezus fuck. He's been an absolute disaster as an owner. I don't think KG is without any fault here but just knowing how Glen has run this franchise into a clogged toilet repeatedly over the years tells me he's definitely not the side you want to be on.
populousample

Post by populousample »

This is who KG is and his ownership share of any NBA team is where it is right now, not because of Flip or Glen.
somuchyummy beef supreme chat
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

T_J wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:24 am I've only skimmed through this thread but people are siding with fucking Glen?

Geezus fuck. He's been an absolute disaster as an owner. I don't think KG is without any fault here but just knowing how Glen has run this franchise into a clogged toilet repeatedly over the years tells me he's definitely not the side you want to be on.
No shit. People are implying that just because Glen Paid him that is absolves all the shit that Taylor put KG through. There is no other player in history who was as fiercely loyal to their organization only to have the owner continuously kick you in the nuts time and time again.

Taylor is responsible for 90% of the blame here.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

It really sums up this franchise that we can't even hold onto and enjoy the only player who brought the franchise a prolonged stretch of relevance. We can't have one positive memory without it being tainted in some way.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Decker23 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:24 am And on the flip side... Randy Moss embraces his time with the Vikes, and #84 continues to be in the rotation for Allison, Patterson, and Irv Smith. The Vikings are dead to me as well for that.
Right? wtf?

80 is retired and Moss was better than Carter the minute he stepped foot on the field.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

memyworld wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:04 pm It really sums up this franchise that we can't even hold onto and enjoy the only player who brought the franchise a prolonged stretch of relevance. We can't have one positive memory without it being tainted in some way.
This would only happen to us and you can't even make it up. Literally I've never seen such a thing. KG had a few good years in Boston and won a title and we had him for the bulk of his prime. Never seen someone not go back to get their jersey retired because of beef with ownership. Only us :lol:

Fuck Glen Taylor.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

🇳🇪Z
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

bubu dubu. wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:27 pm Let me get this straight...

If the story is true, Glen offered KG ownership, or part ownership (likely with Flip included in the deal). Flip died, and Glen rescinded the offer to KG...now some of you think KG is supposed to be happy with a jersey retirement consolation prize when just a few years ago he was supposedly offered ownership?
This is how I read it.

I remember talk of KG ownership pieces years back.
"You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations." - Joe Biden, July 2021
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

What I will never understand is how a man could be such an epic failure as an NBA owner and such a wonder of a WNBA owner. The two franchises are near polar opposites. Why can't he translate that success to his NBA franchise?
My heart is family.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Catalyst wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:01 pm What I will never understand is how a man could be such an epic failure as an NBA owner and such a wonder of a WNBA owner. The two franchises are near polar opposites. Why can't he translate that success to his NBA franchise?
There's like a dozen teams in the WNBA.

The fact that the WNBA is a success here says more about us than anybody else.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Psychedelic expert

🇳🇪Z
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

jffl_commish wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:29 pm Two things. One, KG needs to realize this is for the fans, not Glen. Look past that piece and ascend to the rafters where he belongs. Two, KG was dead right about Glen, he doesn't know shit about basketball. Glen needs to go. The franchise will be better off without him. Horrific owner.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Catalyst wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:44 am Just my opinion and nothing to back it but, I think the deal he had going was predicated on Flip being there to act as a buffer and mentor to KG in the front office. Once Flip was no longer available to be that, Glen bailed
Exactly right, the whole deal was about Flip taking over as owner. KG was meant to be the face, but Flip was the one making the decisions. I think Flip would have done great, he was the Wolves as much as KG was. Everything about this is just really sad.
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Post by Decker23 »

When Glen dies and they finally retire his jersey, I hope no one attends. The people that do, I hope they boo.

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
D_H

Post by D_H »

I’m totally guessing here - but Could it be possible Flip promised Kevin Garnett things that he actually never ran by Glenn Taylor? I’m not a Glenn Taylor fan but I think it’s a strong possibility.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

D_H wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:34 pm I’m totally guessing here - but Could it be possible Flip promised Kevin Garnett things that he actually never ran by Glenn Taylor? I’m not a Glenn Taylor fan but I think it’s a strong possibility.
Nup, totally doubt it. Glen would have told KG he'd get minority ownership in front of Flip. KG would want to hear it from Glen's mouth.

Geez, you're going DH on us when we don't even have a season.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Fuck cancer. We were about to be a professional franchise.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:13 am Fuck cancer. We were about to be a professional franchise.
By trading away first rd picks for guys like Adrien Payne?

Drafting guys like Dieng and Bazz?

Sucks what happened to Flip but come on man!

This team still hasn't seen the playoffs with Lolvine, Androol and Boogie Towns.

Jimmy B had to come along.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Catalyst wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:01 pm What I will never understand is how a man could be such an epic failure as an NBA owner and such a wonder of a WNBA owner. The two franchises are near polar opposites. Why can't he translate that success to his NBA franchise?
Having arguably the best women's basketball player of all time helps.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

LordNu wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:22 am
D_H wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:34 pm I’m totally guessing here - but Could it be possible Flip promised Kevin Garnett things that he actually never ran by Glenn Taylor? I’m not a Glenn Taylor fan but I think it’s a strong possibility.
Nup, totally doubt it. Glen would have told KG he'd get minority ownership in front of Flip. KG would want to hear it from Glen's mouth.

Geez, you're going DH on us when we don't even have a season.
i'm in full agreement here. don't think flip would make up something like that and then casually mention it to KG. ownership of a franchise is a little heavier than that.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Another log to throw on the fire......Maybe Taylor knew Garnett without Flip involved in the deal, Garnett couldn’t be trusted not to try and move the team to Seattle......

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kevi ... o-seattle/