Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

KAT's mom - not good news

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
flexbuffchest

Re: KAT's mom - not good news

Post by flexbuffchest »

Mr Bill wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:59 am The ESPN.com article never says that she has been diagnosed with Covid-19, just that she has Covid-19 symptoms. It sounds like KAT wanted her to get tested but she never did. I hope she pulls through, sounds terrible.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

kilkenny wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 am Covid-19 is serious, no vaccine and no treatment. But so is the "common" flu. We should also be up in arms about the ten's of thousands who die from that every year in our country. 60 plus thousand estimated 2 years ago. After this passes, and it will, something needs to be done about all of these viruses.
Not surprised this guy is one of the corona hoax people.

Probably a trump supporter too smh
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Fucking hell. Poor KAT.

People who don't take this seriously right now are fueling the fire.

I don't know what to say.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

That sucks. I wish her and the whole Towns clan well.

But I have a feeling this is the tip of the iceberg...
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

kilkenny wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 am Covid-19 is serious, no vaccine and no treatment. But so is the "common" flu. We should also be up in arms about the ten's of thousands who die from that every year in our country. 60 plus thousand estimated 2 years ago. After this passes, and it will, something needs to be done about all of these viruses.
I think what will be done in the future for viruses, is what is being shaped right now...just a lot more awareness of sanitation. Washing hands, sanitizing hands, being cautious of surfaces that are touched a lot, shopping by yourself rather than the family...all these things and more, I believe will still be practiced in the future, to a higher degree than what it was before.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:26 pm
Not surprised this guy is one of the corona hoax people.

Probably a trump supporter too smh
Showing you're a dumbass in all new ways. I've lost 2 family members to the flu over the last 15 years. GFY.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Apparently his dad was in the hospital for a few days as well but is "ok" now.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:00 pm
I think what will be done in the future for viruses, is what is being shaped right now...just a lot more awareness of sanitation. Washing hands, sanitizing hands, being cautious of surfaces that are touched a lot, shopping by yourself rather than the family...all these things and more, I believe will still be practiced in the future, to a higher degree than what it was before.
Ability to shut borders quicker / have test sites / equipment quicker, put people are a distance earlier in the game.... all of this will change how we prepare for another situation, which seems inevitable though who knows what it will happen.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:49 pm
memyworld wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:13 pm I guess the beef ends when they step off the court.

Bigger than basketball
I respect his message but i just can't unsee what Embiid has said about Towns in the past.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:36 pm
Ability to shut borders quicker / have test sites / equipment quicker, put people are a distance earlier in the game.... all of this will change how we prepare for another situation, which seems inevitable though who knows what it will happen.
I swear the federal government is using this as a live action role-play as all indications are this is not all that serious for the vast majority of people. They are letting states and local governments impose plans to later use that data in the event of something that is VERY serious. Meaning they will know more of what and what not to do, what works what doesn't.
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning

Post by Lightning »

jfc
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Just think what would happen if we lived in the dream world of the Progressives: domiciled in large, multi-family dwellings, linked to work by mass transportation, government rationed health care, energy sometimes supplied by solar and wind.

But, of course, we would have reusable bags and cups to spread the germs around!!! God forbid we have a plastic straw.

The other thing to look at as the leader of the model that forecast millions of deaths pulls back his estimates by many fold, these same types of experts are the ones who developed the climate change forecasting models that have never predicted temperature change even in the near term of the forecast. This is the "science" you are basing policy decisions that impact trillions of dollars and billions of lives.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:18 pm

I swear the federal government is using this as a live action role-play as all indications are this is not all that serious for the vast majority of people. They are letting states and local governments impose plans to later use that data in the event of something that is VERY serious. Meaning they will know more of what and what not to do, what works what doesn't.
sorry. but that's crap. the govt didn't tell SXSW, coachella, the nba, the nhl, disneyland, MOA, etc etc etc to close down. all of these enterprises are ALL about making money - and shutting down without extremely legit concern is something none of them would consider in a million years. but they did.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:35 pm

sorry. but that's crap. the govt didn't tell SXSW, coachella, the nba, the nhl, disneyland, MOA, etc etc etc to close down. all of these enterprises are ALL about making money - and shutting down without extremely legit concern is something none of them would consider in a million years. but they did.
Meh. I think you are giving too much credit to them, as a few states had started talking about placing restrictions on gathering sizes. In fact the NBA owners are possibly saving money by not playing at all than playing without fans. Owners are going to recover that salary. Sometimes it is about not taking or limiting a loss.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:35 pm

It's probably somehow the "MSM" and the governments fault that virtually the rest of the world is doing the same thing.

Edit: Did mlhouse really bring global warming into this? WTF? :lol:

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Lightning wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:30 pmjfc
x2
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:32 pm
Just think what would happen if we lived in the dream world of the Progressives: domiciled in large, multi-family dwellings, linked to work by mass transportation, government rationed health care, energy sometimes supplied by solar and wind.

But, of course, we would have reusable bags and cups to spread the germs around!!! God forbid we have a plastic straw.

The other thing to look at as the leader of the model that forecast millions of deaths pulls back his estimates by many fold, these same types of experts are the ones who developed the climate change forecasting models that have never predicted temperature change even in the near term of the forecast. This is the "science" you are basing policy decisions that impact trillions of dollars and billions of lives.
Take it to polichat, spaz
Silversword

Post by Silversword »

I've got some bad news for you, Mlhouse. We're being lied to by the powers that are fighting climate change legislation. About fifteen years ago, I challenged a progressive friend to a debate on climate change and he showed me first hand how the far-right and industry groups are using a disinformation campaign to keep the oil money flowing. Since the beginning of that debate, I've devoted over 2000 hours to researching climate science and the points being made by skeptics groups, and I came to two black & white conclusions: 1) climate scientists are correct, and 2) American democracy is under attack by a far-right disinformation machine. A little about me - I'm an analyst by trade, so I'm able to filter out disinformation and focus on facts and reason.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Please don't turn this into polichat.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Silversword wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:09 pm

I've got some bad news for you, Mlhouse. We're being lied to by the powers that are fighting climate change legislation. About fifteen years ago, I challenged a progressive friend to a debate on climate change and he showed me first hand how the far-right and industry groups are using a disinformation campaign to keep the oil money flowing. Since the beginning of that debate, I've devoted over 2000 hours to researching climate science and the points being made by skeptics groups, and I came to two black & white conclusions: 1) climate scientists are correct, and 2) American democracy is under attack by a far-right disinformation machine. A little about me - I'm an analyst by trade, so I'm able to filter out disinformation and focus on facts and reason.
HAHAHAHA..... ok.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Silversword wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:09 pm

:popcorn:

- Isaac Asimov
j2j

Post by j2j »

Good news about his dad. An absolute shame about his mom. Outside of that, the rest of this thread has turned into AIDS. Always the same assholes.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

j2j wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:43 pm Good news about his dad. An absolute shame about his mom. Outside of that, the rest of this thread has turned into AIDS. Always the same assholes.
From KAT's mom may be dying to global warming in 2 pages.

It's impressive.

- Isaac Asimov
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

how's about we all do what the title of the thread implies and keep this to news about KAT's mom? deal? plenty of other places to discuss the other stuff.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

NotRasho wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:35 pm No updates, considering the last known status I imagine that to be a good thing? She was in an induced coma and on a respirator I believe, if she has made it to this point I would say this is a good sign.

Hoping we hear in a couple days that she has recovered.
I would assume nothing since some of these people are on ventilators fighting for weeks before they expire. Hopefully it works out, but it may be early in her ordeal.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

this means perhaps nothing - but john prine, one of my favorite songwriters, went on a ventilator for covid19 symptoms a day or so ago - and was listed in critical condition. he's older than KAT's mom by quite a bit and has survived two bouts of cancer in his life - definitely a high risk category. anyway, today his daughter posted that he was now in stable condition. i hope it holds and he recovers.

all cases are different so it's unrelated to KAT's mom's chances of recovery. but just thought i'd throw that out because up till now, i almost felt like if you were high risk and went on a ventilator, it was as good as over.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

NotRasho wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:35 pm No updates, considering the last known status I imagine that to be a good thing? She was in an induced coma and on a respirator I believe, if she has made it to this point I would say this is a good sign.

Hoping we hear in a couple days that she has recovered.
Maybe?

I know with Flip there was radio silence for a while before he died. IIRC there weren't many, if any, updates on how he was doing until he passed.

flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Up to you on how to interpret this data since it isn't a huge amount but if you are sick enough to need a ventilator and get put on one... Your odds of passing seem to skyrocket.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.physic ... ators/amp/
We have some early published data on percentages which vary widely. A paper from China involved 710 Covid-19 patients; 52 were admitted to an ICU. Of the 22 who eventually required mechanical ventilation, 19 (86%) died. Another early study reported 31 of 32 (97%) mechanically ventilated patients died.

Probably the best published information we have so far is from the Intensive Care National Audit and Research Center (ICNARC) in the UK. Of 165 patients admitted to ICUs, 79 (48%) died. Of the 98 patients who received advanced respiratory support—defined as invasive ventilation, BPAP or CPAP via endotracheal tube, or tracheostomy, or extracorporeal respiratory support—66% died.

Compare that to the 36% mortality rate of non-COVID patients receiving advanced respiratory support reported to ICNARC from 2017 to 2019
:cry: :cry:

j2j

Post by j2j »

Anecdotal, but I've heard everything from 24 hours to a week on the ventilator.

Joe Diffie was posting on Friday how he was going to beat this and then Sunday he's dead. While KAT's mom has been on for a week and no update yet. Just so crazy.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:06 pm this means perhaps nothing - but john prine, one of my favorite songwriters, went on a ventilator for covid19 symptoms a day or so ago - and was listed in critical condition. he's older than KAT's mom by quite a bit and has survived two bouts of cancer in his life - definitely a high risk category. anyway, today his daughter posted that he was now in stable condition. i hope it holds and he recovers.

all cases are different so it's unrelated to KAT's mom's chances of recovery. but just thought i'd throw that out because up till now, i almost felt like if you were high risk and went on a ventilator, it was as good as over.