Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

KAT's mom - not good news

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

KAT's mom - not good news

Post by somuchyummy »

KAT just posted on instagram that his mom is in a medically induced coma. it's Covid-19 and she's fighting for her life. bahhh.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: KAT's mom - not good news

Post by RubeTube »

Pray for Towns mom.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
ItsGameOvrMan

Post by ItsGameOvrMan »

Damn. Hope his mom pulls through, but sounds pretty grim.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Wow horrible news and really hits home. Just shows you no matter how famous your are or have resources, disease hits everyone.

Prayers and strength to him and his fam.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

Sucky news, hope she gets better for KAT

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

ItsGameOvrMan wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:01 am Damn. Hope his mom pulls through, but sounds pretty grim.
very.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Terrible news.

I really want to go back to previous threads and bump how COVID-19 isn't a big deal and that everyone is overreacting...
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:53 am Terrible news.

I really want to go back to previous threads and bump how COVID-19 isn't a big deal and that everyone is overreacting...
No kidding - so many idiots. Darwin is nodding his head in his grave.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

it sounds like she is in the worst-case scenario department right now and it's going to take some real strength for her to make it. T's and P's for the family.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:59 am it sounds like she is in the worst-case scenario department right now and it's going to take some real strength for her to make it. T's and P's for the family.
Definitely sounds like it's at the point where KAT should start preparing. :(
Hoping she pulls through.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

minnemike wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:57 am
flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:53 am Terrible news.

No kidding - so many idiots. Darwin is nodding his head in his grave.
Terrible news for KAT, I wish him and his family the best.

Divided country. Saw a report that “Red States” aren’t seeing the impact as bad as some big “Blue States” and don’t believe all the news, aren’t taking all of the same precautions and want everything lifted.

I have no idea where they got that idea or came to that ill-informed or misleading conclusion. :roll:

#leadership# #scienceisreal#

Stay healthy EVERYONE!!

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Praying for the miracle.
Ketchup can be nuancy
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

Jonny Athletic's article:
His voice shaking and his nerves trembling, Karl-Anthony Towns sat down in front of a video camera late Tuesday night to send a message to Timberwolves fans, and the world.

Not two weeks ago, Towns had donated $100,000 to the Mayo Clinic to increase testing for a pandemic that shuttered professional sports, laid siege to the world economy and claimed the lives of thousands of people in China, Italy and, increasingly, the United States. Now the crisis is hitting home for Towns and his family.

Towns announced in a video early Wednesday morning that his mother, Jacqueline Cruz, is in a medically induced coma and on a ventilator after being diagnosed with COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. His father, Karl, is also under quarantine and the close-knit family is clinging to hope that Jacqueline will recover and return to her role as the exuberant, colorful center of the unit.

“Dominican women are strong. I know they are,” Towns said in a video posted on his Instagram. “My mother is one of the strongest women I know and I know she’ll beat this. We’re going to rejoice when she does.”

Towns called Jacqueline the leader and the boss of the family, and that is just getting started in describing the force of nature that is her personality. The family is inseparable, with both parents fixtures at home and on the road with their son. Jacqueline’s energy fills even the biggest of rooms and you can often hear her before you ever see her as she enters Target Center with her bedazzled Timberwolves gear. When Towns tussled with Joel Embiid in Philadelphia early in the season, it was Jacqueline who could be seen leaning over a railing and hollering at Embiid as he exited the arena.

Karl Towns, Karl-Anthony’s father, has often joked that he cannot sit in the same section as Jacqueline during games because her boisterous cheering makes it hard for him to concentrate on the more technical aspects of his son’s game.

Now the Towns family is relying on that energy to carry her through a frightening ordeal. They live in New Jersey, not far from one of the nation’s COVID-19 hot spots in New York. Karl-Anthony said that his mother and father both started to feel ill last week and were urged by their children to see a doctor. As the week went on, KAT said, Jacqueline’s condition deteriorated to the point she had to be hospitalized. After a brief period in which Towns said he thought his mother was “turning a corner,” she started to experience severe problems breathing, a fever that reached 103 degrees and had to be put on a ventilator.

“They said she went sideways. Things went sideways quick,” Karl-Anthony said. “Her lungs were extremely getting worse. She was having trouble breathing. They were just explaining to me that she had to be put on the ventilator. She was getting worse and she was confused by everything.”

Towns says he was able to speak to his mother before she was put in a coma, but the conversation took an ominous turn.

“Told her I loved her. Every day I always told her how much I love her,” he said. “She was telling me things I didn’t want to here. I dismissed some things she was saying because it was something I didn’t want to hear.”

Towns did not disclose what doctors were saying as far as a prognosis for his mother, but it was clear that the situation was excruciating for him to experience. While Towns’ father has had the higher public profile, Jacqueline has always been the backbone of the family. Towns has always taken pride in associating with strong women both personally and professionally, and that all goes back to his mother’s presence.

“It’s rough. Day by day we’re just seeing how it goes,” Towns said. “We’re being positive. I’m keeping the strength up for everybody in my family. I wanted to make this video so that people understand the severity of this disease is real. This disease needs to not be taken lightly. Please protect your families, your loved ones, your friends, yourself. Practice social distancing.”

STAY STRONG @KARLTOWNS GOD HAS GOT YOU ❤️🙏🏾 HTTPS://T.CO/KREVBZRXNI

— DONOVAN MITCHELL (@SPIDADMITCHELL) MARCH 25, 2020

Towns has been involved in raising awareness from the start. Even before his mother got sick, Towns researched the outbreak, leaned on his affinity for medicine and made the decision to donate to the Mayo Clinic with a gift hospital officials said could increase the volume of tests from 200 per day to 1,000.

“This can provide access to testing that we are slow to react on right now. We have a critically low number of tests and it’s taking testing a significant amount of time,” Timberwolves vice president of basketball performance Robby Sikka said. “It speaks to him and his family’s commitment to doing something that can really tangibly impact society in a positive way because the research on this virus is so challenging. They needed to do something that really made a difference.”

In sharing the story of his mother’s condition, Towns is hoping that the many across the country who have dismissed the coronavirus to this point will start to understand how dangerous it can be.

“This disease is deadly. It’s deadly,” he said. “We’re going to keep fighting on my side. Me and my family are going to keep fighting this. We’re going to beat it. We’re going to win.

“I hope my story helps. I hope my story gives you the correct information. Send my love to all your families. I’m praying for every single one of you guys. Keep everyone in my thoughts and my prayers. Life may keep throwing punches at me but I’m going to keep getting back up. I ain’t going to quit at any time and neither will my whole family and neither will my mother.”
Last edited by TrueBlue on Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

So sad. Just watched the video and Towns just looks defeated.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Covid-19 is serious, no vaccine and no treatment. But so is the "common" flu. We should also be up in arms about the ten's of thousands who die from that every year in our country. 60 plus thousand estimated 2 years ago. After this passes, and it will, something needs to be done about all of these viruses.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

but there is a vaccine for the flu - which knocks its impact way down. and most folks who get the flu are knocked out and stay home. Covid-19 - with no vaccine yet - attacks some really hard and some hardly at all. so there are loads of carriers out in society who have no idea that they are about to give a life ending illness to the guy behind them in the checkout line. and it remains unfortunately quite viable on surfaces and hanging in the air - so it's pretty easy to catch. trump wants the churches full by Easter. that's madness. in italy now, if you're over 60 - not 70 or 80, but 60 - you don't get a ventilator if your symptoms bring you to a hospital.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:43 am but there is a vaccine for the flu - which knocks its impact way down. and most folks who get the flu are knocked out and stay home. Covid-19 - with no vaccine yet - attacks some really hard and some hardly at all. so there are loads of carriers out in society who have no idea that they are about to give a life ending illness to the guy behind them in the checkout line. and it remains unfortunately quite viable on surfaces and hanging in the air - so it's pretty easy to catch. trump wants the churches full by Easter. that's madness. in italy now, if you're over 60 - not 70 or 80, but 60 - you don't get a ventilator if your symptoms bring you to a hospital.
i'm surprised that they'd even admit you into the hospital if you're over 60 now. we need a flattened curve so that doesn't happen here.
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

The ESPN.com article never says that she has been diagnosed with Covid-19, just that she has Covid-19 symptoms. It sounds like KAT wanted her to get tested but she never did. I hope she pulls through, sounds terrible.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

I've read that patients need to be restrained and even sedated because, even with a ventilator doing the breathing for them, the patient thrashes around feeling like they're drowning. Sounds like a fucking horrible way to go.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:04 am I've read that patients need to be restrained and even sedated because, even with a ventilator doing the breathing for them, the patient thrashes around feeling like they're drowning. Sounds like a fucking horrible way to go.
yep. i told my mom that i just didn't want to get that feeling whether i live or not. i doubt too many are living when they get to that stage though.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Mr Bill wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:59 am The ESPN.com article never says that she has been diagnosed with Covid-19, just that she has Covid-19 symptoms. It sounds like KAT wanted her to get tested but she never did. I hope she pulls through, sounds terrible.
I noticed that too. Regular flu can bring a person to her current state as well. I don't think people realize that.
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

kilkenny wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:34 am
Mr Bill wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:59 am The ESPN.com article never says that she has been diagnosed with Covid-19, just that she has Covid-19 symptoms. It sounds like KAT wanted her to get tested but she never did. I hope she pulls through, sounds terrible.
I noticed that too. Regular flu can bring a person to her current state as well. I don't think people realize that.
While that true, this is 2x+ more contagious than the regular flu. meaning exponentially more people will be hospitalized and exponentially more people will be in the ICU, and exponentially more people will die.

Once we run out of ICU space and ventilators, your death rate skyrockets and you also see death rates of all other issues that put people in ICUs exponentially increase.

Visually, it's all just one giant exponential curve:

Spoiler:
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

TrueBlue wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:37 am
While that true, this is 2x+ more contagious than the regular flu. meaning exponentially more people will be hospitalized and exponentially more people will be in the ICU, and exponentially more people will die.

Once we run out of ICU space and ventilators, your death rate skyrockets and you also see death rates of all other issues that put people in ICUs exponentially increase.

I know. But that wasn't the point of my post. :shrug:
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

kilkenny wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:22 am
Sally wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:37 am

Fair, I just get nervous about people not taking this seriously is all. I really don't want to lose any more loved ones than I already am in the near future.
Spoiler:
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

TrueBlue wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:24 am

Fair, I just get nervous about people not taking this seriously is all. I really don't want to lose any more loved ones than I already am in the near future.
Yeah, I stated such seriousness in a post above. Just odd that the flu isn't taken more seriously every year.

I wonder how long this has actually been here. In California, the flu season in the middle of January was one of the worst ever to date. Were they able to determine if these people who died had Coronavirus a few months ago? Nope. Could it have been Coronavirus? Maybe.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

TrueBlue wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:24 am

that's a really trying time of life. happened to me in the early 90s. ten people i cared about gone in about a 4 year span. here's my best to you.
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:53 am
somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:43 am but there is a vaccine for the flu - which knocks its impact way down. and most folks who get the flu are knocked out and stay home. Covid-19 - with no vaccine yet - attacks some really hard and some hardly at all. so there are loads of carriers out in society who have no idea that they are about to give a life ending illness to the guy behind them in the checkout line. and it remains unfortunately quite viable on surfaces and hanging in the air - so it's pretty easy to catch. trump wants the churches full by Easter. that's madness. in italy now, if you're over 60 - not 70 or 80, but 60 - you don't get a ventilator if your symptoms bring you to a hospital.
i'm surprised that they'd even admit you into the hospital if you're over 60 now. we need a flattened curve so that doesn't happen here.
Or do we?

:shrug:
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
JoeBagO'Donuts

Post by JoeBagO'Donuts »

I feel horrible for Kat and his family, pulling for his mom to make a comeback.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

I guess the beef ends when they step off the court.

Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

memyworld wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:13 pm I guess the beef ends when they step off the court.

Bigger than basketball