Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Trade the Lotto Pick 2.0

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Would you Trade the Top 5 Pick, Johnson, & Omari for Aaron Gordon?

Yes, he would be a core piece with high talent and same timeline as KAT and DLO
21%
No, draft another rookie and keep waiting to contend and develop.
79%

Total votes: 19

UnFadeable21

Trade the Lotto Pick 2.0

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Aaron Gordon
6'9 235lbs

14.5 ppg, 7.5 rebs, 3.7 ast

Once the NBA season comes back and the Wolves continue to play, we should come away with a Top 5 pick. I don't see anyone in the top 5 that matches up with our core of KAT, Dlo, Beasley, JC, and Okogie. We trade package the pick, James Johnson and Omari Spellman with the lotto pick for Aaron Gordon.

Gordon was having a down season because they played him at the 3 this season with Isaac at the 4. I wanted Isaac originally but many of you say he's untradeable right now by the Orlando front office. At his peak, he was averaging 17.6 ppg, 8 rebs He's currentlt at 14.5 ppg and 7.5 reb.

So we'll settle for the former Top 5 draft pick and dunk champ Aaron Gordon who would fit very well next to KAT. Many of us wanted Jordan Bell to play the 4 next to KAT but apparently David Vanterpool said he had a low bball iq which is why they traded him. Roco was too small at the 4 to handle the power from other bigs.

I believe he would be an excellent 3rd guy on this team because he doesn't need plays ran for him to get his offense going. He's going to score on fast breaks, cutting to the rim, and being in the dunker spot when they double team KAT. He's also become a very good plus defender in the league.

In the end, the trade would be two expiring contracts in James Johnson 15 million, Omari Spellman 2 milliom + Wolves first round pick for Aaron Gordon 2 years and 34 million left on the book. They already said during the deadline, that Rosas was interested in Gordon.

Dlo
Culver
Layman
AG
KAT

Jmac
Beasley
Okogie
Juancho
Naz

Now that's a playoff team with good age that can grow and progress and get better.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
flexbuffchest

Re: Trade the Lotto Pick 2.0

Post by flexbuffchest »

I'd rather roll the dice on a rookie then trade for Gordon. Ish.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:53 pm I'd rather roll the dice on a rookie then trade for Gordon. Ish.
I’d take Gordon rather than a rook who is going to need around 2 years to get good.

You have 4 guys for your core with KAT, Dlo, AG, and Beasley then two guys you hope who can be core players too in Culver and Okogie.

Lamelo
Wiseman
Edwards
Devi
Okogie
Maxey
Toppin

All these guys have holes too. I think Ag can rebound, defend, and play his role for us right away. Think like a Brandon Clarke for Memphis right now but better and polished.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Clarke is already better then Gordon. Gordon is ok but he is the classic example of a hyper athletic player getting overrated because of his athleticism.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

flexbuffchest wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:03 pm Clarke is already better then Gordon. Gordon is ok but he is the classic example of a hyper athletic player getting overrated because of his athleticism.
Totally agree. I think Toppin will be a better overall palyer and a better fit.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm not a big gordon guy, so i said no. but i'll play along for a bit. i love it that he's become such a good to great nba defender - but still no. offensively, last year he averaged 14.5/7.5/3.1 - not particularly much better than juancho did for us in a starting role (12.9/7.3/1.1) - and nobody is hoping juancho is our starter next year. he can be a good backup, but not a starter.

here's what i think is the fatal flaw in your scenario. gordon has two more years on a big deal - but it's cool in that the money decreases - $18Mish next year and $16Mish in the final year. we've got KAT and DLo for a ton - we'll probably resign beasley to a fairly rich deal, nothing huge, but nothing to sniff at either. and then we'll be on the hook with gordon for $35M over the final two years.

and that, either way IMO, is not the greatest situation. if he plays really well, he'll either seek to resign with us for a HUGE deal in two years or leave in FA. and if he only plays meh, not deserving of the bigger deal, then the trade overall is a fail. unless you think gordon can help lead us to a title within 2 years - which i don't think is possible - it's a short-sighted plan.

i think it's just better to sign a high energy baller (like toppin or okongwu) on a longterm cheap rookie deal - and put him in a low pressure situation where he's behind KAT, Dlo and beasley in the pecking order. #3 pick pay scale, if you sign him to a 4 year deal, is right around $30M. super affordable, and could be very productive, if you just give the right player the right role for that stage of his career. toppin or okongwu - i'd be happy with either one - should be able to contribute effectively and immediately. we don't need a savior - we just need a tough, athletic starting PF.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Hahahaha, Beasley to the bench. So we'd have four really high paid guys in dlo, kat, beas, and gordon. Oh wait, Fade probably thinks Beas is worth 6 million and won't get offered more than that, but wiggins was worth 151 million.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

There is the problem with Beasley. Should he be a starter or is he a bench guy? Wolves didn’t get enough time to figure it out, and the rent is coming due.

If you pay him or match him what the league will command, he’s starting, you can’t pay all that money and play the guy from the bench.....pure and simple. I am sure Rosas will try to use him as a sign and trade piece for something else, or he can just pay him and play this out.

As for trading the pick for Gordon.....Nope. They can address what he can provide but even more tailored to what we need in the draft. Now if you could dump the expiring contracts and give them Okogie or Culver instead and we keep our pick.....I do that in a heartbeat. Okogie and Culver are a duplication of service and trying to maximize the development of both of them here is never going to happen.....one is always going to be eating into the other’s development and minutes and as a result neither will get all that much better. Just look at both of their seasons this year as an example....lackluster at best, and trying to pencil either one in as a starter for the future here looks desperate right now.

If you could swap one of those two for Gordon and a bunch of salary relief, you instantly have not only a better fitting team, but a better team.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

jodaman01 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:47 am There is the problem with Beasley. Should he be a starter or is he a bench guy? Wolves didn’t get enough time to figure it out, and the rent is coming due.

If you pay him or match him what the league will command, he’s starting, you can’t pay all that money and play the guy from the bench.....pure and simple. I am sure Rosas will try to use him as a sign and trade piece for something else, or he can just pay him and play this out.

As for trading the pick for Gordon.....Nope. They can address what he can provide but even more tailored to what we need in the draft. Now if you could dump the expiring contracts and give them Okogie or Culver instead and we keep our pick.....I do that in a heartbeat. Okogie and Culver are a duplication of service and trying to maximize the development of both of them here is never going to happen.....one is always going to be eating into the other’s development and minutes and as a result neither will get all that much better. Just look at both of their seasons this year as an example....lackluster at best, and trying to pencil either one in as a starter for the future here looks desperate right now.

If you could swap one of those two for Gordon and a bunch of salary relief, you instantly have not only a better fitting team, but a better team.

Beasley was the best player on the team from the minute he arrived. Rosas not keeping him is out of the question. His ego is to big not to claim him as his victory and keep him. Let's just hope he is smart enough to get a solid deal.

I'd take the old Gordon any day if we had the money. But he's not that anymore. His D has gone way down hill and his 3 attempts have gone way up while his % is still shit. And we straight up do not have the money. Just be smart and draft one of the great options at the 4.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

what happened to gordon's D? did it really suck this season? just last year he was being talked about in almost an elite defender way. still don't want him though.

btw, i think now we can keep both culver and okogie. if we give okogie minutes behind beasley at the 2, which there will be enough of (and he's always been a good shot of energy in a bench role) - and start culver at the 3, i think it'll work out. and i think culver would be good in that role - especially if he can just pack on some more strength in the offseason. but he does a number of things well, when he isn't pressed to be the man - and his D is good. he could become one of those nice do-all help-everybody starters who isn't a star.

do you think btw that okongwu can pair with KAT? i do like his D more than toppin's, but i'd be happy with both. just don't know if he's too much of a center to pair with KAT. i don't "think" so - okongwu could always handle either defensive assignment - C or PF - so KAT wouldn't have to guard the tougher match. and KAT plays so much on the perimeter that he's more of a trad PF anyway - so OO could be the center on offense. btw, OO would be a great number for him in the pros.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Silversword

Post by Silversword »

Aaron Gordon - athleticism aside - is a pretty average NBA player. He's a slightly below average shooter (career 53 %TS and 54% in his best season vs 55% league average), a below average 3P shooter (career 32% and 35% in his best season vs 36% league average), an okay rebounder at best, and his advanced stats point to a middling defensive player. I would consider giving up our Brooklyn pick for him, but certainly not our own pick.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Thrillkill wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:59 am Just be smart and draft one of the great options at the 4.
I totally agree with you. What I can't understand is why the quote above is so hard for people (and perhaps the GM) to understand .

Assuming they give a contract extension to Beasley, the player that we bring in with our lottery pick will be the 4th offensive option behind Russell, Towns, and Beasley. I think this is a situation tailor made to drafting a do-all type player like Toppin. He will not need to come in and be a dominant scorer and carry the team offensively. Just come in, play hard on both ends, shoot the ball adequately, box out and rebound. IN that role I think he is even better than Aaron Gordon.

I am not trying to minimize the upside of the rookie lotto pick we bring in. I think Toppin can be a 18-10 guy whose offensive and defenisve contributions can move this team from sucking to being a team that can at least compete for a playoff spot, mainly because I think that 18-10 comes from the natural flow of the game.

So, why not pay that guy the rookie scale contract instead of bringing in a guy like Gordon who has no upside and would be paid in a single year what you essentially pay the rookie over 3 years.

It makes zero sense.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

exactly. you just wrote my next post word for word.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Moses Scurry wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:25 am Hahahaha, Beasley to the bench. So we'd have four really high paid guys in dlo, kat, beas, and gordon. Oh wait, Fade probably thinks Beas is worth 6 million and won't get offered more than that, but wiggins was worth 151 million.
Said Beasley would get a contract somewhere 4 years 50 million.

I want to use Beasley as our 6th man, the same way the magic use Terrance Ross as their instant offense off the bench; same way Houston uses Eric Gordon, same way Clippers use Lou Will. Make him the primary option on the second unit and if he’s hot that game, finish the game.

You can’t understand that concept because you don’t know basketball and are wrong 99% of the time.

I don’t think Beasley and Dlo can guard well enough together full time.

Learn the game because you embarrass yourself.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:31 am
Moses Scurry wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:25 am Hahahaha, Beasley to the bench. So we'd have four really high paid guys in dlo, kat, beas, and gordon. Oh wait, Fade probably thinks Beas is worth 6 million and won't get offered more than that, but wiggins was worth 151 million.

I want to use Beasley as our 6th man, the same way the magic use Terrance Ross as their instant offense off the bench; same way Houston uses Eric Gordon, same way Clippers use Lou Will. Make him the primary option on the second unit and if he’s hot that game, finish the game.

You can’t understand that concept because you don’t know basketball and are wrong 99% of the time.

Rising Stars MVP. :lol: You've already embarrassed yourself daily, I'm just trying to catch up.

Funny, never heard you say Wiggins should come off the bench. Beasley was outperforming Wiggins in his short stint here already.
j2j

Post by j2j »

The Standrew Bobos hate Beasley
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Moses Scurry wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:56 am

Rising Stars MVP. :lol: You've already embarrassed yourself daily, I'm just trying to catch up.

Funny, never heard you say Wiggins should come off the bench. Beasley was outperforming Wiggins in his short stint here already.
:roll:

You do realize that Beasley was playing with a legit PG don’t you?

If DLO had been here from the beginning of the year with KAT and Wiggins - the Wolves are probably a playoff team. A real PG changes everything - just ask Rosas, that’s why he was going to sell his soul if required to get him.

I still would never play Beasley as a sixth man, especially if they pay out the ass to keep him. That is a waste of money.

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

jodaman01 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:33 pm

If DLO had been here from the beginning of the year with KAT and Wiggins - the Wolves are probably a playoff team. A real PG changes everything - just ask Rosas, that’s why he was going to sell his soul if required to get him.

I still would never play Beasley as a sixth man, especially if they pay out the ass to keep him. That is a waste of money.

yeah, playing with Dlo - for the first time. not exactly in a zone yet where they've created complete simpatico.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:39 pm
jodaman01 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:33 pm

yeah, playing with Dlo - for the first time. not exactly in a zone yet where they've created complete simpatico.
Any games with legit PG play makes all the difference, the evidence is in the #’s and again the fact Rosas would have slit his own wrists if he didn’t get him. Rosas’s offense/system is predicated on higher level PG play.....Rosas has now admitted that.

Minimize it all you want.

If Rosas hadn’t got DLO and Coby White was lighting up the NBA like he was the last few weeks.....me and likely others on this board would be screaming for Rosas’s head. The only reason there is hope at all for this franchise going forward....it’s because Rosas got DLO. Look how every bit of marketing has been geared toward him as the key to the future.

Last edited by jodaman01 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Other than not knowing basketball, you like to lie all the time too right?

How is Beasley outperforming Wiggins? Doesn’t score more, doesn’t rebound more, doesn’t assist more, doesn’t defend more?

I like Beasley and am happy we traded a first round pick for him. Happy for Wigs to play with GS too.

I was the first one to call for Dlo to the wolves over one year ago and everyone here said Dlo sucks, now everyone changes their tune and story.

Stay learning the game noob.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

you left out: andrew this year for the pups 51%/34%/67% vs. malik this year for the pups 52%/43%/75%. for a team looking for better shooters, this is an upgrade.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

mlhouse wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:27 am
Thrillkill wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:59 am Just be smart and draft one of the great options at the 4.
I totally agree with you. What I can't understand is why the quote above is so hard for people (and perhaps the GM) to understand .

Assuming they give a contract extension to Beasley, the player that we bring in with our lottery pick will be the 4th offensive option behind Russell, Towns, and Beasley. I think this is a situation tailor made to drafting a do-all type player like Toppin. He will not need to come in and be a dominant scorer and carry the team offensively. Just come in, play hard on both ends, shoot the ball adequately, box out and rebound. IN that role I think he is even better than Aaron Gordon.

I am not trying to minimize the upside of the rookie lotto pick we bring in. I think Toppin can be a 18-10 guy whose offensive and defenisve contributions can move this team from sucking to being a team that can at least compete for a playoff spot, mainly because I think that 18-10 comes from the natural flow of the game.

So, why not pay that guy the rookie scale contract instead of bringing in a guy like Gordon who has no upside and would be paid in a single year what you essentially pay the rookie over 3 years.

It makes zero sense.
You are under thinking it. If it were that simple then why would a genius like Rosas have to change the entire way the game is played? Embarrassing all the simplistic, myopic fools and sticking it to them with our 3rd place finish. Wait..................3rd worst?

Maybe he should try doing the fucking obvious thing every damn person with a brain can see.
j2j

Post by j2j »

"Screaming for Rosas's head"... More WolvesChat stupidity. As if Rosas or Glen knows this place exists, let alone reads the ramblings of schmucks on a recipe swapping forum.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

No.

I'm all for trading the pick if you can find something you like but Gordon and his contract isn't worth it.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:21 pm

How is Beasley outperforming Wiggins? Doesn’t score more, doesn’t rebound more, doesn’t assist more, doesn’t defend more?

I like Beasley and am happy we traded a first round pick for him. Happy for Wigs to play with GS too.

I was the first one to call for Dlo to the wolves over one year ago and everyone here said Dlo sucks, now everyone changes their tune and story.

This just proves yet again how much you are a simplton. Shooting % matters, a lot. Wiggins is a high volume chucker. Fade is such a simpleton that wiggins could go 10 of 30 for 23 points and he'd say he had a good game.

Dude, you're embarrassing yourself yet again. And you also never take into consideration salary and production. Beasley at his salary is 10 times the player Wiggins is and shoots a better percentage across the board and tries each night.

Keep clinging to that rising stars mvp and other non-achievements! :lol:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Moses Scurry wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:03 pm

This just proves yet again how much you are a simplton. Shooting % matters, a lot. Wiggins is a high volume chucker. Fade is such a simpleton that wiggins could go 10 of 30 for 23 points and he'd say he had a good game.

Dude, you're embarrassing yourself yet again. And you also never take into consideration salary and production. Beasley at his salary is 10 times the player Wiggins is and shoots a better percentage across the board and tries each night.

yeah, i don't worry about beasley's motor. with wiggins it was more like you always had to make sure the pilot light hadn't gone out.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

I'm fine with trading the pick, but for Aaron Gordon? WTF? Orlando would be thrilled.

Gordon's contract isn't as terrible as some make it out to be, but he's also not the top level prospect some thought he was a few years ago.

Also, seeing how Rosas operates, I think if he is looking to move one of his best assets, he's looking for bigger fish.

"Don't Google" Fournier would be the better option from Orlando. He'd fit seamlessly in this offense. If its for a top 5 pick though, the answer is still no, unless Orlando is sending back additional assets.
Last edited by bubu dubu. on Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:11 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:03 pm

yeah, i don't worry about beasley's motor. with wiggins it was more like you always had to make sure the pilot light hadn't gone out.
I remember whenever he played Cleveland or Toronto who he always seemed motivated to play, thinking that maybe that will light the fire for him going forward...but it never did.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:14 pm you left out: andrew this year for the pups 51%/34%/67% vs. malik this year for the pups 52%/43%/75%. for a team looking for better shooters, this is an upgrade.

Let me know when Beasley can defend like this vs an elite offensive player like Devin Booker.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:55 am
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:14 pm you left out: andrew this year for the pups 51%/34%/67% vs. malik this year for the pups 52%/43%/75%. for a team looking for better shooters, this is an upgrade.

Let me know when Beasley can defend like this vs an elite offensive player like Devin Booker.
oh please. your video just proves the point that wiggins has chronically not cared enough throughout his career. a thousand times YES, he has the tools to defend high level offensive players - yet, in all the years with us he was a subpar, disinterested, crappy defender. because he didn't use those tools. let's put together a highlight tape of six years' worth of andrew halfass strolling up the court to get back on D.