Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Trade the Lotto Pick 2.0

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Would you Trade the Top 5 Pick, Johnson, & Omari for Aaron Gordon?

Yes, he would be a core piece with high talent and same timeline as KAT and DLO
21%
No, draft another rookie and keep waiting to contend and develop.
79%

Total votes: 19

Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

Re: Trade the Lotto Pick 2.0

Post by Decker23 »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:09 pm
Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Aaron Gordon
6'9 235lbs

14.5 ppg, 7.5 rebs, 3.7 ast

Once the NBA season comes back and the Wolves continue to play, we should come away with a Top 5 pick. I don't see anyone in the top 5 that matches up with our core of KAT, Dlo, Beasley, JC, and Okogie. We trade package the pick, James Johnson and Omari Spellman with the lotto pick for Aaron Gordon.

Gordon was having a down season because they played him at the 3 this season with Isaac at the 4. I wanted Isaac originally but many of you say he's untradeable right now by the Orlando front office. At his peak, he was averaging 17.6 ppg, 8 rebs He's currentlt at 14.5 ppg and 7.5 reb.

So we'll settle for the former Top 5 draft pick and dunk champ Aaron Gordon who would fit very well next to KAT. Many of us wanted Jordan Bell to play the 4 next to KAT but apparently David Vanterpool said he had a low bball iq which is why they traded him. Roco was too small at the 4 to handle the power from other bigs.

I believe he would be an excellent 3rd guy on this team because he doesn't need plays ran for him to get his offense going. He's going to score on fast breaks, cutting to the rim, and being in the dunker spot when they double team KAT. He's also become a very good plus defender in the league.

In the end, the trade would be two expiring contracts in James Johnson 15 million, Omari Spellman 2 milliom + Wolves first round pick for Aaron Gordon 2 years and 34 million left on the book. They already said during the deadline, that Rosas was interested in Gordon.

Dlo
Culver
Layman
AG
KAT

Jmac
Beasley
Okogie
Juancho
Naz

Now that's a playoff team with good age that can grow and progress and get better.
Why exactly do you hate on LaVine if you tout Gordon? They are not much different. I agree with most of your takes, except for the Zach hate and Andrew love.
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:32 pm i think at three he'd be great. i mean, what's not to love? if there is one thing that might diminish his impact - it's size. you see him in these college vids dominating in the paint - and looked really BIG. but he's only 6-9. he won't be as physically big on the nba stage as he is in college. but i think he's got the athleticism and strength to make up for that. bam's about the same size and he's been working out pretty well.

i'd be happy with either toppin or OO, but i do worry a bit about some of the concerns about toppin. for example, will he embrace being the fourth option on offense rather than the first, or will it present probs for him? another downside is that he's apparently not able to maintain position down low as well as one might hope because his build is top heavy - strong upper body, not as much in his legs. OO is USC's leading scorer - but it's a much more balanced attack that he's been a part of so i think his transition on the O will be easier. and he's strong like bull - not going to get moved off his block without great effort from the opposition.
OK you all have the virus and you got it from Rasho's ridiculous assertions. Do none of you remember how basketball is played? So you all think Toppin comes in, plays say 32 min a night and ALL 32 are with Towns. Not just Towns but Russell and Beasley too! :lol: 4th option every minute! And aren't we supposed to be the play fast, move the ball, take the 1st open 3? If he's the 4th option won't he be open? Pretty good 3 shooter. And play fast. Think he doesn't beat Towns down the floor? :lol: Anyone watch Tor win? Their 4th option was Siakam. Remember all those titles Durant didn't win in GS because Draymond was the 4th option? Shit is ludicrous.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i don't see that much different athletically between OO and toppin. they are both beasts, both play hard and both run the floor hard. so much of what you're saying toppin will be open to do - OO would also be open to do. so yeah, i'm hard pressed to say that the potential of toppin's deep ball outweighs the clear crazy ass D that OO plays. i'll put it this way - i would be more excited to add a defensive difference maker to the team than another offensive weapon. we got O. our D sucks donkey ass. i'll be happy with either - just maybe more into OO's game.

but yeah, we're probably taking the ball kid.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:53 pm i don't see that much different athletically between OO and toppin. they are both beasts, both play hard and both run the floor hard. so much of what you're saying toppin will be open to do - OO would also be open to do. so yeah, i'm hard pressed to say that the potential of toppin's deep ball outweighs the clear crazy ass D that OO plays. i'll put it this way - i would be more excited to add a defensive difference maker to the team than another offensive weapon. we got O. our D sucks donkey ass. i'll be happy with either - just maybe more into OO's game.

Ball would have been pretty sweet minus the Russell trade and our shit coach and his wet shit boss.

But Toppin and OO the same? No way. Toppin way quicker, faster, Better leaper, way better ball handler, driver, post moves, and 5 times the shooter. OO stronger, better rebounder, way more instinctual shot blocker. One is a C and one is not so no point comparing really. One we could but won't take. One we won't even look at.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Hell no on Ball. His dad is a giant douche. We have enough of those around here already.
Let's get Tropical
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:21 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:53 pm i don't see that much different athletically between OO and toppin. they are both beasts, both play hard and both run the floor hard. so much of what you're saying toppin will be open to do - OO would also be open to do. so yeah, i'm hard pressed to say that the potential of toppin's deep ball outweighs the clear crazy ass D that OO plays. i'll put it this way - i would be more excited to add a defensive difference maker to the team than another offensive weapon. we got O. our D sucks donkey ass. i'll be happy with either - just maybe more into OO's game.

Ball would have been pretty sweet minus the Russell trade and our shit coach and his wet shit boss.

But Toppin and OO the same? No way. Toppin way quicker, faster, Better leaper, way better ball handler, driver, post moves, and 5 times the shooter. OO stronger, better rebounder, way more instinctual shot blocker. One is a C and one is not so no point comparing really. One we could but won't take. One we won't even look at.
i get that, they aren't the same. of course not. but how they'd be used on this team - as fourth options on offense - i think they'd both be used similarly - as hard playing, athletic forces - crashing the glass, running the court, putback dunks and lobs, physical play. nobody is going to want obi to be the center of our offense like he's been at dayton. maybe later - but not now, when he's teamed up with KAT, dlo and beasley. so.... in light of how they'd be used, i like OO's defensive talents slightly more than i like toppin's broader offensive game.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:27 am

i get that, they aren't the same. of course not. but how they'd be used on this team - as fourth options on offense - i think they'd both be used similarly - as hard playing, athletic forces - crashing the glass, running the court, putback dunks and lobs, physical play. nobody is going to want obi to be the center of our offense like he's been at dayton. maybe later - but not now, when he's teamed up with KAT, dlo and beasley. so.... in light of how they'd be used, i like OO's defensive talents slightly more than i like toppin's broader offensive game.
Obi was not the center of Dayton's offense. He was more of a decoy than he was the center.

Everyone need to just stop this embarrassing 4th option take. He averaged 12.5 shots. Twelve Mother Fucking and a half shots. Wolves averaged 91.6 shots a game. :lol:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:46 am

Obi was not the center of Dayton's offense. He was more of a decoy than he was the center.

Everyone need to just stop this embarrassing 4th option take. He averaged 12.5 shots. Twelve Mother Fucking and a half shots. Wolves averaged 91.6 shots a game. :lol:
On the Wolves he would start out as the 4th option for sure. Russell, Towns and Beasley would be the 1-3 offensive options. The value of Toppin is how valuable he would be in that role. Most 4th options on offense are one trick ponies the other team can easily defend. Toppin would be a major problem trying to match up and still help out on the other players. HE can pop inside and outside, move off screens, get to the post. If they actually had an offense that created options, you can force really bad matchups that you can take advantage of. He has a high BBIQ and can move the ball.

Toppin isn't a guy you can give the ball in isolation and expect him to beat his man off the dribble. There is only one ball and a salary cap so you can only have one or two of those on a team anyways. Instead, you need a complete team that you can afford were all of the roles are covered.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

well, as a decoy he had 73 more shots on the year than the next closest flyer - and 160 more than the third guy. nice decoy. he was the number one option in their offense. scored the most points, took the most shots. he will have an adjustment to make in the pros. on our team, yes, he'd be the fourth option - and spending a lot less time with the ball in his hands.
Finger Licking Good

Post by Finger Licking Good »

If we're gonna keep Beasley (which takes Edwards out), the only guy I'm interested in near the top is Okongwu. He could be a great fit next to Towns. This team needs rebounding, blocks and all-around D. This is the dude.

https://hoopshabit.com/2020/03/07/2020- ... a-okongwu/
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

NotRasho wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:07 pm How come none of you who want Toppin ever talk about his defense? Intangibles? Passing? You singularly focus on his offensive talents while openly admitting he would be the 4th offensive option.

So who is your SF on this team of defensive losers? Hopefully he was created in a lab or came from another planet because thats what it would take for a Dlo/Beasley/SF/Toppin/KAT lineup to not be a defensive laughing stock. Its hard enough to compensate for 3 bad defenders with 2 good ones, but its impossible to compensate for 4 with 1. Its not even about Beasley/Dlo, a Towns/Toppin front line is shit defensively. Switch either out with their defensive counterpart and the fit is infinitely better.

Thrill, you are the one changing your tune, not me. You used to understand the need for a defensive/rebounding stalwart next to Towns to balance the team. Now you have gone full on NBA 2K fantasy team and dont give a shit about defense, every argument you make is offense and shooting...Rosas rubbing off on ya? ;)
this is why i think it would be wisest to draft okongwu - use him as a "big" next to KAT - doesn't matter who the PF or C is - just always give OO the tougher defensive assignment. and then start culver - who showed as a rookie to be a good defender - at the 3. you don't need the PF to be a deep threat because starting culver at the 3 gives you 4 starters who need to be guarded on the perimeter. culver sucks at the long ball? not exactly - truth be told. he ended the year - the last 34 games hitting 35% of his threes - which is a better pro% than one of the best shooters in the draft isaiah joe had this season in college (34%). we're fine with KAT, dlo, beas and culver spacing the floor - get 00 in there to do the heavy lifting and dirty work.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:23 pm

well, as a decoy he had 73 more shots on the year than the next closest flyer - and 160 more than the third guy. nice decoy. he was the number one option in their offense. scored the most points, took the most shots. he will have an adjustment to make in the pros. on our team, yes, he'd be the fourth option - and spending a lot less time with the ball in his hands.
How many other guys are on the team? Is it one? No? 12.5 shots a game. How many did they take a game? 20?

God forbid a rookie starter will be the 4th option. Has that ever happened?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:25 pm

How many other guys are on the team? Is it one? No? 12.5 shots a game. How many did they take a game? 20?

thrill, slow down and understand i'm okay with toppin. i understand that rookies (including toppin) would be fourth options. and that's all i'd want them to be. i just like OO's D potential for the team more than i value what is most probably toppin's better O potential for the team. we need D. we suck ass at D and you know this. OO is a better defensive prospect than toppin. that's all - no hating on toppin from my corner.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:30 pm

thrill, slow down and understand i'm okay with toppin. i understand that rookies (including toppin) would be fourth options. and that's all i'd want them to be. i just like OO's D potential for the team more than i value what is most probably toppin's better O potential for the team. we need D. we suck ass at D and you know this. OO is a better defensive prospect than toppin. that's all - no hating on toppin from my corner.
We are not taking him. You know that. I'd love to have him. I see young Akeem in him. I'd trade Towns for him and another good piece or future 1st. But it's not happening.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:00 am

We are not taking him. You know that. I'd love to have him. I see young Akeem in him. I'd trade Towns for him and another good piece or future 1st. But it's not happening.
maybe part of my inane hope is just seeing what could be - in terms of maybe KAT catching fire defensively if he was paired with another defensive beast. it could be a constant source of inspiration for him - just watching OO work.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:18 am
Thrillkill wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:00 am

maybe part of my inane hope is just seeing what could be - in terms of maybe KAT catching fire defensively if he was paired with another defensive beast. it could be a constant source of inspiration for him - just watching OO work.
We just turned our whole roster over to get his bestest buddy who plays less D than him. Who you think he is "inspired" by? Your hope with OO should be we take him, he doesn't fit well with Towns, and Rosas and Towns are the ones who go.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Make the trade. Draft Tre Jones or Cassius Winston with the Brooklyn pick. Sign Beasley to 4 years 50 million contract.

Dlo 34 mins
Culver 26 mins
Layman 24 mins
Gordon 28 mins
KAT 34 mins

Rookie pg 18 mins
Beasley 26 mins
Okogie 20 mins
Juancho 18 mins
Naz 10 mins

Jmac
Nowell
Vandy

Offense goes through Towns and Dlo pnr. Culver guards best opposing guard nightly. Beasley comes in as first sub for any of the 3 guardsc instant offense shoots 15-20 times. Gordon takes dunker position, runs the floor, and defends.

That’s a good young team that will be able to defend, shoot, and run the floor with a fast pace.
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Which is more dumb? This thread, or society panic buying up all the toilet paper? Both are shitty.
Let's get Tropical