Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

it's never too early to think about free agency

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

it's never too early to think about free agency

Post by somuchyummy »

i guess when everything else has ground to a standstill, why not? i actually don't want us to pursue any FAs this period - think our team is crazy enough adding 2 to 3 rooks - but i needed to do this before my head explodes from the freaking stress of this week. i got this list from spotrac - i'm assuming it's up to date - but no guarantees. many of these players are old as the hills, so it will be interesting to see if they get contracts at all - and for how much. some are coming off massive contracts in which they underperformed - what's going to shake out with them? some are on tiny contracts now and are due for big upgrades. anyway, who do you like? what do you think they're worth? i'm not including RFAs here because they're the hardest to obtain.

Unrestricted Free Agents

paul millsap - hassan whiteside - marc gasol - serge ibaka - danilo gallinari - derrick favors - bismack biyombo - kent bazemore - goran dragic - tristan thompson - marcus morris - jordan clarkson - moe harkless - meyers leonard - fred vanvleet - joe harris - davis bertans - jae crowder - montrezl harrell - aron baynes - justin holiday - bryn forbes - dwight howard - wilson chandler - rondae hollis jefferson - juancho hernangomez - alec burks - harry giles - kyle o'quinn - nerlens noel - ante zizic - markieff morris - derrick jones jr. - christian wood - willy hernangomez - david nwaba - reggie jackson - pat connaughton - emmanuel mudiay

Players Options

gordon hayward - demar derozan - otto porter jr. - andre drummond - anthony davis - tim hardaway jr. - evan fournier - james johnson - kelly olynyk - tony snell - jerami grant - kentavious caldwell-pope - jabari parker - rodney hood - jamychal green - avery bradley - javale mcgee - austin rivers - willie cauley-stein - mario hezonja

Club Options

bobby portis - marvin bagley III - deaaron fox - frank kaminsky - cheick diallo - svi mykhailiuk - semi ojeleye - hamidou diallo - jontay porter
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
swenjj

Re: it's never too early to think about free agency

Post by swenjj »

Kinda strange now we have no idea what the salary cap will be. If it drops down I almost wish we could lock some players in long term.it will go way up sooner or later. But this year's a mess
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

guys like bazemore are going to be interesting to watch. okay player - very good defensively, shot 39% from three in his 21 games after the trade to the kings this year, just 31. but waaaay overpaid in his last contract. he made nearly $20M this season - what will he land this time around? still a decent rotational piece, but he'll be pulling in a helluva lot less next season - wherever he goes.

and christian wood. finishes the season - his last 22 games he went 21/8 on 56% from the floor - and, of course, gets the dreaded covid shit. but that kid has played his way to a payday. he's a legit nba power forward now who made only $1.6M this year.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

froobs! where's the enthusiasm? free agency is just a mere 104 days away!

we might be out of lockdown by then.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:21 pm froobs! where's the enthusiasm? free agency is just a mere 104 days away!

we might be out of lockdown by then.
Give me the draft first. I am also expecting Booker.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

god i hope not. really really really really do not want him. i mean how many 30 million dollar pals does KAT need around here?
shangrila

Post by shangrila »

I think you'll see a lot of 1 year deals. Wouldn't be surprised if Beasley and/or Juancho took the QO either, same with any other RFA. It's just unlikely that there'll be much, if any, money to go around.

On the flip side I'd expect the league to waive the luxury tax if the cap drops as they couldn't really afford to have the entire league paying the tax.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think you're right about that. and that's why i mention a guy like bazemore - still a valuable team guy, but has been way overpaid. he could go from a $19.2M salary this year to a one year vet min deal of around $2.5M - where suddenly his value really pops.

i still don't want to pursue the FA market though. it's like we sort of did that with the midseason purge we just went thru. want to see what we've actually got now before chucking any of it.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

apparently it is. far too early to talk about free agency.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:40 pm apparently it is. far too early to talk about free agency.
It's hard to muster up any enthusiasm when we just don't know. We are 3rd worst for record so if they just canceled the season and just play the playoffs pr the whole season. 3 worst teams get the same odds for highest % chance of #1 pick. Thats pretty cool.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

I’ll post tomorrow

Props to you bro keeping WC busy
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Grab Bobby Portis.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:30 am Grab Bobby Portis.
no to this. not that he's a bad player, but i think we'll be fine at the 4 just drafting toppin, resigning juancho and keeping jj for his final year. besides, portis is expensive ($15M one year deal right now) - and has said the priority at this stage of his career is to make money. he'll go to the highest bidder.
Corre Ricky Corre

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:10 am
no to this. not that he's a bad player, but i think we'll be fine at the 4 just drafting toppin, resigning juancho and keeping jj for his final year. besides, portis is expensive ($15M one year deal right now) - and has said the priority at this stage of his career is to make money. he'll go to the highest bidder.
We will have the worst defense in the history of the game with Toppin starting at the 4.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

you do realize that the biggest rap on portis throughout his career has been his poor defense.

"it's difficult to overstate how bad portis is on the defensive end. he's a terrible rim protector. he's poor in PnR, regardless of the coverage. he's a below average shot blocker, which is surprising since he is 6-11 and athletic. While he is still young, it's worrisome that he is still so clueless on defense after four seasons. There's no question he's way behind the learning curve." - that was from a May 2019 end of season assessment from SB Nation Bullets Forever.

there's no guarantee about how toppin's D will pan out - good or bad. but juancho gives a load of effort on that end, which already puts him even with or over portis - and JJ has always been a plus defender as well. you are right - we could do better than toppin for a defensive pairing with KAT. i'd be okay with okongwu with that top pick, although he hasn't shown nearly the same level of O than obi.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:18 am
We will have the worst defense in the history of the game with Toppin starting at the 4.
:lol: What team do you root for? Have you considered ever checking who the Minnesota Timberwolves have started at the 4? Also you should check out this guy named Obi Toppin. Not sure which Toppin you watch.
Corre Ricky Corre

Toppin is considered to be a very mediocre defender and every expert thinks he has slow feet.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:18 pm Toppin is considered to be a very mediocre defender and every expert thinks he has slow feet.
agreed. he's got work to do if he wants that opinion changed. but your wanting portis to be here - for way more cash - so our D would improve? i would dispute that.
Corre Ricky Corre

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:24 pm
Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:18 pm Toppin is considered to be a very mediocre defender and every expert thinks he has slow feet.
agreed. he's got work to do if he wants that opinion changed. but your wanting portis to be here - for way more cash - so our D would improve? i would dispute that.
I don't think Portis would cost much. Also, Portis is a better rebounder IMO. Toppin would be perfect if KAT can become an above average rim protector.
Corre Ricky Corre

I don't think Portis would cost much. Also, Portis is a better rebounder IMO. Toppin would be perfect if KAT can become an above average rim protector.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:27 pm
portis is coming off a $15M one year deal - which is pretty pricey - and has said the biggest factor in this stage of his life is making money for his family. he'll go to the highest bidder - which i don't think should be us. yes, he probably won't get that much per year with his next deal - but toppin, who sort of projects out as a john collins type, will be on a cheapo rookie deal for years. great value.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

Whiteside would be my target. Put him and Towns on the court at the same time, it frees KAT up to worry solely about scoring, Whiteside seems like the type of player who gets his off defense and dirty work on the offensive end.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

just 100 quick, carefree, homebound days till free agency, me froobpals!
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Dan33185 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:49 am Whiteside would be my target. Put him and Towns on the court at the same time, it frees KAT up to worry solely about scoring, Whiteside seems like the type of player who gets his off defense and dirty work on the offensive end.
Does he make 3's? Is he short?

Yeah......................nope.
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

Everything is easier now that we have a point guard. Free agency is easier to pick and choose from. Drafting is easier. Getting an experienced coach should be easier.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

tru dat. (my teenager just slapped his forehead.)
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Dan33185 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:49 am Whiteside would be my target. Put him and Towns on the court at the same time, it frees KAT up to worry solely about scoring, Whiteside seems like the type of player who gets his off defense and dirty work on the offensive end.
This is my line of thinking too. Fuck small ball. Let’s get a shot blocker and rim protector!
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
Muskies97

Post by Muskies97 »

Mo Harkless and Alex Burks are my guys for sure
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... ade-Market
While the 2020 NBA free agency class is one of the weakest in recent memory, we could instead see a more robust trade market fill that void as there a number of contending teams seeking to upgrade or reallocate their roster.

"I don't think we're going to see a lot of action in free agency," said Brian Windhorst on The Hoop Collective Podcast. "There's not going to be a whole lot of movement. The trade market is where the big movement in the offseason is going to be. And Chris Paul is one of the big things out there, for sure. And I also think there's six or seven teams that are really prime to make a deal. Not for Chris Paul but..."

The Philadelphia 76ers and Brooklyn Nets are widely expected to be active on the trade market, as well as the Golden State Warriors and Indiana Pacers.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:18 am
:lol: .............I mean........ :lol: .............holy crap

Have you heard of this thing called last year?