Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Season Is Officially Done - Gobert Has COVID-19

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
DonaldDouchebag

Re: Season Is Officially Done - Gobert Has COVID-19

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

SO_MONEY wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:27 pm
ItsGameOvrMan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:19 pm Wow. Insane.

Anybody see the TV series from Stephen King called The Stand? The opening is emblazed into my head where "Don't fear the reaper" is playing and they are panning all over the bodies.
It has a 3.4% mortality rate (mostly the old), that is going to go down over time as medical professionals adapt. Not to mention, Summer is coming and the virus doesn't do well with sunlight, heat or humidity. This is overblown, but I would rather this be used as a test case for when a REAL problem exists.
Experts say this is not true. It isn't seasonal like the regular flu:

https://ccdd.hsph.harvard.edu/will-covi ... r-weather/
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:58 am
shangrila wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:35 am I don't think the issue has ever been the virus itself, although obviously it's deadly to the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions, but more the impact it will have on society.

Like, people will get quarantined and the vast majority will end up back at work after 2 weeks or so as they find they either don't have the virus or can overcome it. But what happens in that 2 weeks? If your local grocery store has an outbreak and is shut down for quarantine, where do you get food? And if you find another place, say the next town over, can they cope with the additional burden? What happens if there's then an outbreak there? And so on.
What about when all our ICU beds are full and our ERs are overflowing and then you get in a car accident or have a heart attack? What happens when doctors and nurses get sick or exhaust themselves working double shifts dealing with this?

What about when they close schools and parents have to stay home to watch their kids. What happens to the supply of the good and services those parents provided?

It’s a lot more than just the disease. You’re absolutely right. But just the disease is expected to infect between 70-150 million Americans. If the 3.4% mortality rate holds, that’s 2,380,000 to 5,100,000 deaths. If you cut the rate in half, it’s still 1,190,000 to 2,550,000 deaths. That’s something nobody has seen in this country since... polio?
The mortality rate isn't accurate imo. So many people are infected but mildly so they aren't going in to get tested (add to that there aren't enough test kits). That 3.4 isn't accurate for an entire population.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

kilkenny wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:41 am
shangrila wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:35 am I don't think the issue has ever been the virus itself, although obviously it's deadly to the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions, but more the impact it will have on society.

Like, people will get quarantined and the vast majority will end up back at work after 2 weeks or so as they find they either don't have the virus or can overcome it. But what happens in that 2 weeks? If your local grocery store has an outbreak and is shut down for quarantine, where do you get food? And if you find another place, say the next town over, can they cope with the additional burden? What happens if there's then an outbreak there? And so on.
What about when all our ICU beds are full and our ERs are overflowing and then you get in a car accident or have a heart attack? What happens when doctors and nurses get sick or exhaust themselves working double shifts dealing with this?

What about when they close schools and parents have to stay home to watch their kids. What happens to the supply of the good and services those parents provided?

It’s a lot more than just the disease. You’re absolutely right. But just the disease is expected to infect between 70-150 million Americans. If the 3.4% mortality rate holds, that’s 2,380,000 to 5,100,000 deaths. If you cut the rate in half, it’s still 1,190,000 to 2,550,000 deaths. That’s something nobody has seen in this country since... polio?
The mortality rate isn't accurate imo. So many people are infected but mildly so they aren't going in to get tested (add to that there aren't enough test kits). That 3.4 isn't accurate for an entire population.
I think you’re probably right. But the point is, even if it’s off by double, this will still be devastating in a way that nothing in most of our lifetimes has been.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:22 am

Anybody see the TV series from Stephen King called The Stand? The opening is emblazed into my head where "Don't fear the reaper" is playing and they are panning all over the bodies.
It has a 3.4% mortality rate (mostly the old), that is going to go down over time as medical professionals adapt. Not to mention, Summer is coming and the virus doesn't do well with sunlight, heat or humidity. This is overblown, but I would rather this be used as a test case for when a REAL problem exists.

This flu is closest to the Spanish flu strain from 1918. That killed 2% of the human population. People can say it's overblown, and it may be, but people are dying from it....it's not nothing.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Not what your link says. I also DIDN'T say it would go away on its own because of these things. Experts believe it will reduce cases by about 10-20%. In other words it will be harder to get, exposures won't be a virulent and will in places be inactive. This all helps control the speed and build tolerances via our immune systems. In other words the severity will decrease with time and experts do believe that.
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Seenin wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:45 am I work for microsoft and all 110k employees were told to work from home. Cant fly anywhere for on sites either. Companies are scrambling to get cloud based for collaboration purposes. Good news is that i wont have to use my sick time when schools get canceled or if i get sick.
Wife works for the government. They are scrambling and today theyre going through working from home getting everyone vpns and labtops.

Craziness..

Good thing I started prepping years ago. Although dumped a good portion of my food supply after doing a crappy job rotating it.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

Donovan Mitchell is positive...nice Rudy you turd.
My heart is family.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Catalyst wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:23 am Donovan Mitchell is positive...nice Rudy you turd.
I would expect more to come. These guys don't work with the general public, they are confined to smaller groups and stay around them for longer periods.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Catalyst wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:23 am Donovan Mitchell is positive...nice Rudy you turd.
This will follow Rudy the rest of his life
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

From what I read Rudy was being an ass touching everyone and everything in the locker room, like he did at the press conference. Hope he gets karmic retribution of the pocketbook.
My heart is family.
T_J

Post by T_J »

mglviks wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:12 am
Seenin wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:45 am I work for microsoft and all 110k employees were told to work from home. Cant fly anywhere for on sites either. Companies are scrambling to get cloud based for collaboration purposes. Good news is that i wont have to use my sick time when schools get canceled or if i get sick.
Wife works for the government. They are scrambling and today theyre going through working from home getting everyone vpns and labtops.

Craziness..

Good thing I started prepping years ago. Although dumped a good portion of my food supply after doing a crappy job rotating it.
Not the govt, but the same thing going on in my office....the vibe here is bizarre too.
weimy froob

Re: Season Is Probably Done

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:57 pm i don't know how there's going to be a baseball season either. i'm just hoping not to get the virus myself. don't really care if they play this out or not.

NBA suspends season; is MLB next?

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/03/11/nb ... -mlb-next/
Seenin

Post by Seenin »

Are we really concerned about athletes dying due to corona? These are prolly the healthiest people in the country. Sucks the season is suspended but gotta do whats best for everyone.
Steam:Seenin
Xbox:Seenin
Discord:SirFucksworth
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

3 players from the Jazz have now tested positive.

Gobert
Mudiay
Mitchell
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Cured AIDS, can't stop the common cold or flu!
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

The NBA season started with a bunch of NBA players / coaches kissing up to China and it is ending because a Chinese virus is attacking the world.
"You're not going to get Covid if you have these vaccinations." - Joe Biden, July 2021
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:45 am Cured AIDS, can't stop the common cold or flu!
Something that constantly mutates and cross breeds with animals and humans is most likely never possible. Even if the human population irradicated all of the pigs and every water fowl on the planet, something else that is able to get the flu would eventually breed and mutate into something we've not fully encountered before.

On the basketball side of things, I'm very curious as to what they plan to do season wise. Cuban said he thinks 60 days off, resume reg season and then postseason, could go as far as into August. I still think pay out regular season to player, coaches, and arena workers, refund season tix holders and return for the playoffs as scheduled. Running into late July or Aug means we won't see the Wolves play until Christmas :lol:
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

T_J wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:11 am
mglviks wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:12 am

Craziness..

Not the govt, but the same thing going on in my office....the vibe here is bizarre too.
Business is going to want to shield themselves from liability while also testing plans for continuity they have gamed out. It is the perfect opportunity. There is really minimal risk to people, but readiness and response may fall short if you don't in effect run a real-time drill and find faults in the plan for when there is a real threat. You are going to know SHIT is real when they shut down, mail, grocery stores, gas stations, pharmacies et al.. This isn't going to do that, or if they did it would be a MAJOR overreaction.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Why Not Us wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:12 pm The NBA season started with a bunch of NBA players / coaches kissing up to China and it is ending because a Chinese virus is attacking the world.
Ah ha! It's the NBA retribution virus.

Thanks Moray you douche. Oh, and he sent us the idiot too. He's the devil.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:14 pm
Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:45 am Cured AIDS, can't stop the common cold or flu!
Something that constantly mutates and cross breeds with animals and humans is most likely never possible. Even if the human population irradicated all of the pigs and every water fowl on the planet, something else that is able to get the flu would eventually breed and mutate into something we've not fully encountered before.

On the basketball side of things, I'm very curious as to what they plan to do season wise. Cuban said he thinks 60 days off, resume reg season and then postseason, could go as far as into August. I still think pay out regular season to player, coaches, and arena workers, refund season tix holders and return for the playoffs as scheduled. Running into late July or Aug means we won't see the Wolves play until Christmas :lol:
I believe the season is over and they will start the playoffs with 3 game series probably end of May.
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:19 pm

I believe the season is over and they will start the playoffs with 3 game series probably end of May.
We'll get the Nets pick then! :naners:
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 am

I think you’re probably right. But the point is, even if it’s off by double, this will still be devastating in a way that nothing in most of our lifetimes has been.
First off 3.4% is a world statistic, meaning demographics very between countries. The median age in the US is about 38 compared to Italy at 45, mortality rates are going to drop just because of that. Second, your projections might be making a ton of presumptions, like 1. does everyone get infected? 2. Is the infection is not weakened? ... Third, if you apply your standard, the "common cold"/flu would have increases in mortality rates, where underlying problems officially are the cause of death. Lastly, a ton of people die from the flu each year and a treatment will get better and the strength will decrease. This is not a big deal, at all. It is a bad cold that will be harder on old people by a factor of 5-10.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Every year do you worry about the 1-2% of elderly infected who die from the flu? This is at 8% and bound to drop. This isn't even scary. I asked my folks if they would like to continue to stay at my place in Mexico, they are not worried. C'mon.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:56 am

This flu is closest to the Spanish flu strain from 1918. That killed 2% of the human population. People can say it's overblown, and it may be, but people are dying from it....it's not nothing.
This is not even close to the Spanish Flu, that killed 10-20% of victims. Not to mention WWI and bad conditions...lack of modern medicine ect...
j2j

Post by j2j »

Kevin Love... You're a good man.

We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Isn’t that what the nba is thinking of anyway? Running the league from Christmas to August? To not compete with the nfl?

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

j2j wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:01 pm Kevin Love... You're a good man.

Fair to say at this point that Cleveland won that trade?

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:06 pm

First off 3.4% is a world statistic, meaning demographics very between countries. The median age in the US is about 38 compared to Italy at 45, mortality rates are going to drop just because of that. Second, your projections might be making a ton of presumptions, like 1. does everyone get infected? 2. Is the infection is not weakened? ... Third, if you apply your standard, the "common cold"/flu would have increases in mortality rates, where underlying problems officially are the cause of death. Lastly, a ton of people die from the flu each year and a treatment will get better and the strength will decrease. This is not a big deal, at all. It is a bad cold that will be harder on old people by a factor of 5-10.
“It is not a big deal, at all.”

Time stamped and saved.

We will see.

- Isaac Asimov
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Classy. Not a cost to him really, but a solid act.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:08 pm

Fair to say at this point that Cleveland won that trade?
At this point? Thought that was decided like the day of?
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***