Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Dorko Update

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
flexbuffchest

Dorko Update

Post by flexbuffchest »

From failed NBA player
To failed kickboxer
To failed farmer
Back to basketball!

“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
flexbuffchest

Re: Dorko Update

Post by flexbuffchest »

Paging
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:26 pm

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Dude is an NBA champion.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:17 pm Paging
Comeback, eh?

“Good luck...”
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:23 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:17 pm Paging
Comeback, eh?

“Good luck...”
You can't shake his confidence!

"I came to play".

flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:08 pm I honestly think his beer belly is larger than mine, and that is saying something.
He's like 8 feet tall. His beer belly is larger than YOU.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i wonder if he was good with his money-or if he's low on funds. he's had an interesting life.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:13 pm i wonder if he was good with his money-or if he's low on funds. he's had an interesting life.
https://sports.yahoo.com/darko-milicic- ... 48208.html
Darko Milicic doesn’t need your fancy banks to keep his money in

Former NBA sharpshooter Casey Jacobsen bounced around quite a bit in his journeyman career before landing a gig in Germany, and a spot on SLAM's online roster of bloggers. And in a recent post detailing some of the quirkier habits of his diverse group of former teammates, he tosses out this nugget about former Memphis Grizzlies teammate and current Minnesota Timberwolves big man Darko Milicic:

It's nearly impossible to explain the weirdness that is Darko, but he told me one time that he did not keep his money in any bank, nor did he invest in stocks or bonds. "I just keep it," he told me and then turned away. Looking back, I should have asked a follow-up question. I don't know if I believe him, but he was making over $6 million that season. That's a lot of cheddar to stash underneath a mattress! On another note… that was easily the longest conversation we ever had, and that was how he preferred it.

Yes, you should have asked a follow-up question. Because I'm just about ready to round up a cast of characters, "Mad Mad Mad Mad World"-style, to try and find Darko's buried millions. The guy has made over $42 million in his NBA career and he's got about $7 million coming to him over the next two years of his partially guaranteed deal with the Wolves. It's time to teach Darko a lesson in smart investing and cat burglary.

(HT: Can't Stop the Bleeding, and Deadspin.)

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:15 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:13 pm i wonder if he was good with his money-or if he's low on funds. he's had an interesting life.
https://sports.yahoo.com/darko-milicic- ... 48208.html
Darko Milicic doesn’t need your fancy banks to keep his money in

Former NBA sharpshooter Casey Jacobsen bounced around quite a bit in his journeyman career before landing a gig in Germany, and a spot on SLAM's online roster of bloggers. And in a recent post detailing some of the quirkier habits of his diverse group of former teammates, he tosses out this nugget about former Memphis Grizzlies teammate and current Minnesota Timberwolves big man Darko Milicic:

It's nearly impossible to explain the weirdness that is Darko, but he told me one time that he did not keep his money in any bank, nor did he invest in stocks or bonds. "I just keep it," he told me and then turned away. Looking back, I should have asked a follow-up question. I don't know if I believe him, but he was making over $6 million that season. That's a lot of cheddar to stash underneath a mattress! On another note… that was easily the longest conversation we ever had, and that was how he preferred it.

Yes, you should have asked a follow-up question. Because I'm just about ready to round up a cast of characters, "Mad Mad Mad Mad World"-style, to try and find Darko's buried millions. The guy has made over $42 million in his NBA career and he's got about $7 million coming to him over the next two years of his partially guaranteed deal with the Wolves. It's time to teach Darko a lesson in smart investing and cat burglary.

(HT: Can't Stop the Bleeding, and Deadspin.)
:lol: we need a dorko update on that moneyroll in his pocket.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:19 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:13 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:08 pm I honestly think his beer belly is larger than mine, and that is saying something.
He's like 8 feet tall. His beer belly is larger than YOU.
My beer belly is epic.

Okay I'm lying. It was. Now... I'm actually feeling alright about myaelf again. I'm down 30 lbs, 4 pant sizes and I currently going through clothes that I've kept around for the past 5+ years on the off chance I might be able to fit into them again... Well now I'm depending on my old ass clothing again. With a little luck, discipline, and more work.. I might just reach my high school weight by my next birthday. Fuck yeah!!!
tHAT'S ACTUALLY AWESOME!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Once I was at a Wolves game and got pretty hammered. I was booing Darko and telling the people I was with how much he sucked ass.

I had these two nerds next to me in their late 20's all pudgy and shit wearing KLove jerseys that were so pissed I was talking trash.

I guarantee they were/are WC members. Probably thought I didn't "Get the game" for booing such a talent as Darko. We know how this place loves bad euro talent. I later came down with another beer and tripped on the step and spilled half my beer on one of their shoes. :lol: The chick I was dating at the time asked me if I always had to get drunk when we went somewhere. :drinky:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

He must need money...
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:25 am Once I was at a Wolves game and got pretty hammered. I was booing Darko and telling the people I was with how much he sucked ass.

I had these two nerds next to me in their late 20's all pudgy and shit wearing KLove jerseys that were so pissed I was talking trash.

I guarantee they were/are WC members. Probably thought I didn't "Get the game" for booing such a talent as Darko. We know how this place loves bad euro talent. I later came down with another beer and tripped on the step and spilled half my beer on one of their shoes. :lol: The chick I was dating at the time asked me if I always had to get drunk when we went somewhere. :drinky:
Wolves chat did not like Darko.... so your theory might be off.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Manna from heaven.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:13 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:25 am Once I was at a Wolves game and got pretty hammered. I was booing Darko and telling the people I was with how much he sucked ass.

BULLSHIT...…
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:28 am

BULLSHIT...…
OK Thrillkill?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Some did.

There was a guy named “Darko Miliminutes” and another who famously claimed to DVR Darko games and watch them back in slo-mo, analyzing Darko’s greatness to prove myself and other “haters” wrong. Can’t remember that dude’s name, though.

Darko had his fans here. They were a minority, but they were very vocal.

And stupid. They were stupid too.

Very stupid.

- Isaac Asimov
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:42 am

Some did.

There was a guy named “Darko Miliminutes” and another who famously claimed to DVR Darko games and watch them back in ski-no, analyzing Darko’s greatness to prove myself and other “haters” wrong. Can’t remember that dude’s name, though.

Very stupid.
I have a clue, he still pots here :D

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

flexbuffchest wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:43 am

Some did.

There was a guy named “Darko Miliminutes” and another who famously claimed to DVR Darko games and watch them back in ski-no, analyzing Darko’s greatness to prove myself and other “haters” wrong. Can’t remember that dude’s name, though.

Very stupid.
Oh no...

- Isaac Asimov
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:44 am

Some did.

Very stupid.
Oh no...
And an Anthony Bennett fan!

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Some did.

There was a guy named “Darko Miliminutes” and another who famously claimed to DVR Darko games and watch them back in slo-mo, analyzing Darko’s greatness to prove myself and other “haters” wrong. Can’t remember that dude’s name, though.

Very stupid.
I disagree that they were the minority, at least when it came to the opinion of whether to resign Darko or not. Most felt the contract that he signed was a reasonable one and that he would be a valuable player for the Wolves.

THe line that the best NBA asset that Darko had was his agent was very true.

I think the best descripton of Darko is imagine you are participating in a drawing, Inside is a check for $50 million, $25 million, $10 million and $10. You reach in, and pull the $10 check out. That is Darko.
Style

Post by Style »

flexbuffchest wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:46 am
Oh no...
I'd imagine that poster would be pretty contrite nowadays after those doozies. At least understanding of others' opinions.

I'd imagine he's a big Wiggins defender too.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:55 am

Some did.

Very stupid.
I disagree that they were the minority, at least when it came to the opinion of whether to resign Darko or not. Most felt the contract that he signed was a reasonable one and that he would be a valuable player for the Wolves.

THe line that the best NBA asset that Darko had was his agent was very true.

I think the best descripton of Darko is imagine you are participating in a drawing, Inside is a check for $50 million, $25 million, $10 million and $10. You reach in, and pull the $10 check out. That is Darko.
I've been here a long time... I don't believe you're right on most...
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:06 am
Guarantee it. I argued it was a bad contract from day 1. I am not saying they thought Darko was going to be an all-star player (although some did), but most posters in KFAN WC thought it was a reasonable deal. They thought the Wolves were getting a more than functional NBA center for $20 million over 4 years. A starting NBA center on a very reasonable contract.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:12 am
Guarantee it. I argued it was a bad contract from day 1. I am not saying they thought Darko was going to be an all-star player (although some did), but most posters in KFAN WC thought it was a reasonable deal. They thought the Wolves were getting a more than functional NBA center for $20 million over 4 years. A starting NBA center on a very reasonable contract.
I think most hoped Pek would be the starting center... and I remember Darko's 4th year was partially guaranteed... I guess looking back I didn't hate Darko, especially when they traded for him with Brian Cardinal. I threw up in my mouth when they gave him the new deal in addition to Kahn calling from the manna from heaven not too long after he signed his deal.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Style wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:05 am
flexbuffchest wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:46 am

Oh no...
I'd imagine that poster would be pretty contrite nowadays after those doozies. At least understanding of others' opinions.

I'd imagine he's a big Wiggins defender too.
Maybe he or she just hopes for the best. Hopefully those extremely obvious and egregious errors in judgement have taught him or her some humility. I wonder if that poster who vehemently defended Dorko, potato and Wiggins would still claim to be the first one who saw the talent in every prospect before everyone and that he or she was alright right and never wrong.

I wonder.

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:15 am
I think most hoped Pek would be the starting center... and I remember Darko's 4th year was partially guaranteed... I guess looking back I didn't hate Darko, especially when they traded for him with Brian Cardinal. I threw up in my mouth when they gave him the new deal in addition to Kahn calling from the manna from heaven not too long after he signed his deal.

Exactly. So you didn't hate Darko initially. AS for most hoping Pekovic would be the starting center, I do not recall that. The first year of Darko's MN extension 2010-11 was Pekovic's rookie season. Darko started 69 out of the69 games he played. I don't know if you remember this, but Pekovic SUCKED. He looked like a flop and averaged 7.3 personal fouls/36 in his rookie season.

Pekovic improved when they got rid of Rambis, and by his 3rd year he was a quality player when he wasn't injured. But, since this is the Wolves, it ended up being a total disaster. I think he deserved his extension despite the risk, but we ended up paying Nikola $48.4 million over 4 years to play a total of 97 basketball games, 2,624 minutes. $18,445 per minute.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:24 am

Exactly. So you didn't hate Darko initially. AS for most hoping Pekovic would be the starting center, I do not recall that. The first year of Darko's MN extension 2010-11 was Pekovic's rookie season. Darko started 69 out of the69 games he played. I don't know if you remember this, but Pekovic SUCKED. He looked like a flop and averaged 7.3 personal fouls/36 in his rookie season.

Pekovic improved when they got rid of Rambis, and by his 3rd year he was a quality player when he wasn't injured. But, since this is the Wolves, it ended up being a total disaster. I think he deserved his extension despite the risk, but we ended up paying Nikola $48.4 million over 4 years to play a total of 97 basketball games, 2,624 minutes. $18,445 per minute.
I remember it all well. I was a season ticket holder! Pek was a hack.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:19 am

Might have been Rambis' system. But he was fucking terrible. He really improved as a player, but he just could not stay healthy.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:19 am

Wasn’t he averaging like 8 or 9 fouls per-36 his rookie year or something absurd like that?

That gave birth to the “Pek Smash” era!

- Isaac Asimov