Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Dorko Update

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
mlhouse

Re: Dorko Update

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:42 am
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:19 am
mlhouse wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:24 am

Exactly. So you didn't hate Darko initially. AS for most hoping Pekovic would be the starting center, I do not recall that. The first year of Darko's MN extension 2010-11 was Pekovic's rookie season. Darko started 69 out of the69 games he played. I don't know if you remember this, but Pekovic SUCKED. He looked like a flop and averaged 7.3 personal fouls/36 in his rookie season.

Pekovic improved when they got rid of Rambis, and by his 3rd year he was a quality player when he wasn't injured. But, since this is the Wolves, it ended up being a total disaster. I think he deserved his extension despite the risk, but we ended up paying Nikola $48.4 million over 4 years to play a total of 97 basketball games, 2,624 minutes. $18,445 per minute.
I remember it all well. I was a season ticket holder! Pek was a hack.
Wasn’t he averaging like 8 or 9 fouls per-36 his rookie year or something absurd like that?

That gave birth to the “Pek Smash” era!
See above: it was 7.3.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Oceanary killed again.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

LordNu wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:06 pm Oceanary killed again.
:lol:

I remember that!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

He's back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/darko ... berwolves/
Darko Milicic thinks Kevin Love was a cry-baby when they played together for the Minnesota Timberwolves

Milicic spent two years with the Minnesota Timberwolves, and after having a solid first year with the squad, he once again found himself not wanting to play basketball in the NBA. That soon leads to another conflict with teammates and coaches. The Timberwolves GM at that time David Kahn wanted him to apologize to his teammates, but than Milicic decided to do the opposite and said he doesn’t want to play on a losing team with someone like Kevin Love he only cares about stats and not winning games.

“I had the opportunity to play with great players in the NBA, but they were all crybabies, like Kevin Love, for example. Minnesota Timberwolves GM wanted me to apologize to all the players on the way I behaved, and I didn’t want to apologize to those crybabies. You have a guy like Kevin Love, and don’t get me wrong I don’t have the right to talk about anything because of the way I played, and he achieved much more than I ever did. But he is a type of guy that is not satisfied if he doesn’t score 20 points and grabs ten rebounds even though we won the game. He was unhappy in the locker room and was even close to crying, and he is supposed to be your go-to guy in a championship team?”

Milicic is realistic and says he was never a true role model, but the values he was taught when playing basketball is that the team and winning come first. For some players, it’s the complete opposite, and everyone takes more care about their stats than team success, which is something he was frustrated with when playing for the Timberwolves.

I can’t play with those types of players, and I won’t apologize to them. I did some stupid things in my career, and I agree I was wrong, but I would never apologize to Kevin Love. I was used to different values growing up like, team basketball, teamwork, and winning games.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Love accepted a third fiddle role, and was the whooping boy in Cleveland when things were going poorly, and he never seemed to complain.

The assessment might be accurate of him when he was in Minnesota (and the recent Cleveland teams), but its funny how those issues seem to disappear when someone is on a good team. All the losing will eventually become toxic to any player.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

flexbuffchest wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:49 pm He's back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/darko ... berwolves/
Darko Milicic thinks Kevin Love was a cry-baby when they played together for the Minnesota Timberwolves

Milicic spent two years with the Minnesota Timberwolves, and after having a solid first year with the squad, he once again found himself not wanting to play basketball in the NBA. That soon leads to another conflict with teammates and coaches. The Timberwolves GM at that time David Kahn wanted him to apologize to his teammates, but than Milicic decided to do the opposite and said he doesn’t want to play on a losing team with someone like Kevin Love he only cares about stats and not winning games.

“I had the opportunity to play with great players in the NBA, but they were all crybabies, like Kevin Love, for example. Minnesota Timberwolves GM wanted me to apologize to all the players on the way I behaved, and I didn’t want to apologize to those crybabies. You have a guy like Kevin Love, and don’t get me wrong I don’t have the right to talk about anything because of the way I played, and he achieved much more than I ever did. But he is a type of guy that is not satisfied if he doesn’t score 20 points and grabs ten rebounds even though we won the game. He was unhappy in the locker room and was even close to crying, and he is supposed to be your go-to guy in a championship team?”

Milicic is realistic and says he was never a true role model, but the values he was taught when playing basketball is that the team and winning come first. For some players, it’s the complete opposite, and everyone takes more care about their stats than team success, which is something he was frustrated with when playing for the Timberwolves.

I can’t play with those types of players, and I won’t apologize to them. I did some stupid things in my career, and I agree I was wrong, but I would never apologize to Kevin Love. I was used to different values growing up like, team basketball, teamwork, and winning games.
"A solid first year with the squad?"

By what standard?

And frankly, David Kahn gifted him $20M that he didn't deserve. Whether or not he felt like apologizing to the team, he should have because the only guy left in basketball that believed in him asked him to.

Darko and Kahn. What a fucking nightmare.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov