Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Evans, Spellman, Vanderbilt to Iowa

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: Evans, Spellman, Vanderbilt to Iowa

Post by somuchyummy »

well thanks thrill. for awhile there i thought maybe i was entirely losing my mind. i've just spent a bunch of time watching vanderbilt vids - what else is there to do? and while i first thought when we picked him up "oh the latest version of kelan martin or amile jefferson or whomever" - the more i watched i realized he's got more tricks in his gig bag than the average gleague bear. i mean, in an nba game, he gets a defensive rebound and then perfectly threads the needle with a full court BOUNCE pass thru traffic to a teammate for a layup? he sees the court. i really do think it's just recurring injuries that have knocked him around, but talentwise there is a ton there - and if he can get "well", we've got something of definite value.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:08 pm well thanks thrill. for awhile there i thought maybe i was entirely losing my mind. i've just spent a bunch of time watching vanderbilt vids - what else is there to do? and while i first thought when we picked him up "oh the latest version of kelan martin or amile jefferson or whomever" - the more i watched i realized he's got more tricks in his gig bag than the average gleague bear. i mean, in an nba game, he gets a defensive rebound and then perfectly threads the needle with a full court BOUNCE pass thru traffic to a teammate for a layup? he sees the court. i really do think it's just recurring injuries that have knocked him around, but talentwise there is a ton there - and if he can get "well", we've got something of definite value.
The problem with the performance is it is in the G-League. The WOlves blew a chance to see if he can do it at the NBA level. The speed of the NBA game is a lot faster than the GLeague so everything needs to be taken into context. THat creates a level of uncertainty.

So, why not play the players we got in the trade that will be under team control next year unless they are moved and see what they could do?

The pros to such a move are very clear. You can find out if Spellman, Vanderbilt and Evans for that matter can actually play meaningful minutes in a meaningful NBA game. YOu can see if their talents fit the concepts you want to run. You can see if they work with the other players you have on the roster. You can also potentially increase the trade value of a player. So, you put in Spellman into the rotation and he averages a nice 10 pts/game on good shooting numbers.....that would not increase his value in a potential deal going forward?

What are the cons? We would not win a few meaningless victories?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:08 pm well thanks thrill. for awhile there i thought maybe i was entirely losing my mind. i've just spent a bunch of time watching vanderbilt vids - what else is there to do? and while i first thought when we picked him up "oh the latest version of kelan martin or amile jefferson or whomever" - the more i watched i realized he's got more tricks in his gig bag than the average gleague bear. i mean, in an nba game, he gets a defensive rebound and then perfectly threads the needle with a full court BOUNCE pass thru traffic to a teammate for a layup? he sees the court. i really do think it's just recurring injuries that have knocked him around, but talentwise there is a ton there - and if he can get "well", we've got something of definite value.
It is the horrifying nature of being a fan of a team that is run by a guy who is wrong in the most ridiculous way but thinks he's the only only one who's right.

Can;'t say it enough. We are run by a guy who thinks height is a minus in the NBA.