Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Evans, Spellman, Vanderbilt to Iowa

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
flexbuffchest

Re: Evans, Spellman, Vanderbilt to Iowa

Post by flexbuffchest »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:15 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:28 pm With how much Rosas was ripped for letting Cameron Reynolds go I'm stumped as to why he isn't ripping it up on a different team.
Same way you were stumped that he kept a worse player who made more money? Same way you were lost that Reynolds had a longer unguaranteed deal that was valuable. Or is it that the bum we kept instead was starting because of the idiot and told to jack 3's at 20%? Or did that all make sense to you somehow?
Whoosh!
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

flexbuffchest wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:20 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:15 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:28 pm With how much Rosas was ripped for letting Cameron Reynolds go I'm stumped as to why he isn't ripping it up on a different team.
Same way you were stumped that he kept a worse player who made more money? Same way you were lost that Reynolds had a longer unguaranteed deal that was valuable. Or is it that the bum we kept instead was starting because of the idiot and told to jack 3's at 20%? Or did that all make sense to you somehow?
Whoosh!
Is that the sound of things going over the idiot's head?
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

memyworld wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:29 am
I get the season is suspended and that these Vanderbilt performances are in the G-League, but if you were the Wolves management wouldn't you want to see if that performance could translate against NBA competition as much as possible as soon as possible? What really surprised me was the 3 point shot which looked very smooth for a guy without that reputation.

I guess this is a broken record that isn't even on the turnstiles anymore, but this is how futility is created.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:39 am
I get the season is suspended and that these Vanderbilt performances are in the G-League, but if you were the Wolves management wouldn't you want to see if that performance could translate against NBA competition as much as possible as soon as possible? What really surprised me was the 3 point shot which looked very smooth for a guy without that reputation.

I guess this is a broken record that isn't even on the turnstiles anymore, but this is how futility is created.
If Kelan Martin got time this year, there's no reason to think Vanderbilt won't get tapped if they pick up his option next year...he's like 20, just because he's finishing the year in G league without getting some run with the big club doesn't mean he's not developing under our watch. If he showed out enough, they'll keep him and maybe get a crack next season...if not, that's okay....but it doesn't mean we're a dumb organization for not letting Jarred Vanderbilt play some garbage minutes to assess his talent.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:05 am

If Kelan Martin got time this year, there's no reason to think Vanderbilt won't get tapped if they pick up his option next year...he's like 20, just because he's finishing the year in G league without getting some run with the big club doesn't mean he's not developing under our watch. If he showed out enough, they'll keep him and maybe get a crack next season...if not, that's okay....but it doesn't mean we're a dumb organization for not letting Jarred Vanderbilt play some garbage minutes to assess his talent.
It does mean we are a dumb organization because the G-League is not the NBA. I am not advocating putting Vanderbilt in to play some "garbage minutes" at all. He should have been playing 15 minutes in a regular rotation role every game. Same with Spellman. Even the same with Evans.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:15 am
digitalwolf wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:05 am

It does mean we are a dumb organization because the G-League is not the NBA. I am not advocating putting Vanderbilt in to play some "garbage minutes" at all. He should have been playing 15 minutes in a regular rotation role every game. Same with Spellman. Even the same with Evans.
But if they are only cap fodder, like exactly how they were used when dealt for us.....why?

People were bitching about Culver playing PG early in the year, and lamenting watching Nape at times....but Rosas clearly had something planned and it delivered. You're dismissing the notion that someone else might have a plan for these guys and it has nothing to do with their play. If we walk away from this offseason with a new upgraded SF and PF, are you still going to bitch that we didn't see Spellman or Vanderbilt? I'm not.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

It could also just be that they want to give an extended look to Juancho because he is the one that they have to make a significant financial decision on next year. Both Spellman and Vanderbilt are under team control for multiple years still.

There's only so many minutes to go around.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i don't think vandy was just a throw in. he's a 20 year old with a lot of game - hope we work it up and not squander this opportunity.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:51 pm i don't think vandy was just a throw in. he's a 20 year old with a lot of game - hope we work it up and not squander this opportunity.
Worst case, can’t Rosas look at him and Spellman as replacements for this years draft picks he uses in part to get Booker?

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

jodaman01 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:45 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:51 pm i don't think vandy was just a throw in. he's a 20 year old with a lot of game - hope we work it up and not squander this opportunity.
Worst case, can’t Rosas look at him and Spellman as replacements for this years draft picks he uses in part to get Booker?

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
That would be the worst case.

Best case Gobert gives Rosas a big kiss.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

I am not holding out much hope for spellman having an active role on our team. Something is weird about that whole situation. Like after the trade, the first thing he said to rosas was "fuck you and your mother and your sisters too!" Everyone else gets minutes except him?
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:58 pm I am not holding out much hope for spellman having an active role on our team. Something is weird about that whole situation. Like after the trade, the first thing he said to rosas was "fuck you and your mother and your sisters too!" Everyone else gets minutes except him?
Read that on Bleacher Report? :mrgreen:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Actually no. I just cant figure out how hes not good enough to get any minutes especially with KAT out. Something is weird.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:19 pm Actually no. I just cant figure out how hes not good enough to get any minutes especially with KAT out. Something is weird.
Maybe he just came in with an attitude and thought he was entitled to minutes.
Maybe this is just them humbling him?
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

digitalwolf wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:38 pm If we walk away from this offseason with a new upgraded SF and PF, are you still going to bitch that we didn't see Spellman or Vanderbilt? I'm not.
Absolutely it would be a mistake not to see Spellman and Vanderbilt in a regular rotation against real NBA competition. There is always extra value to receive and I think keeping them in the G-League didnt serve a purpose other than just playing them.

IF you play them 15 minutes in the regular rotation behind Reid and Hernangomez you could answer some questions if they are ready, improve their potential trade value to another team looking for cheap off bench players, and fix some of the issues they may have.

What does that cost? The answer is nothing. That is the problem with the Wolves.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Oriole81 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:14 pm It could also just be that they want to give an extended look to Juancho because he is the one that they have to make a significant financial decision on next year. Both Spellman and Vanderbilt are under team control for multiple years still.

There's only so many minutes to go around.
Spellman and Vanderbilt being under team control should mean they are MORE interested in seeing what htey got rather than less.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

my opinion is that toppin will probably be a better nba player than spellman. after that, nothing's set in stone. is devin vassel or saddiq bey a better nba SF than jared vanderbilt? i think that completely remains to be seen - and i'd place no bets at this point.

last four drafts - here's the guys who somewhat play the same position as saddiq bey and devin vassell and who were drafted right around where we can probably expect those two to go - and maybe to us at 16.

trey lyles (12) - kelly oubre (15) - sam dekker (18) - taurean prince (12) - denzel valentine (14) - juancho hernangomez (15) - guerschon yabusele (16) - caris levert (20) - luke kennard (12) - justin jackson (15) - harry giles (20) - miles bridges (12) - michael porter jr. (14) - troy brown (15) - kevin huerter (19) - josh okogie (20)

pretty mixed bag, i'd say. counting on a midfirst pick to be your starting SF solution in his rookie year is a pie in the sky proposition.
shangrila

Post by shangrila »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:13 pm my opinion is that toppin will probably be a better nba player than spellman. after that, nothing's set in stone. is devin vassel or saddiq bey a better nba SF than jared vanderbilt? i think that completely remains to be seen - and i'd place no bets at this point.

last four drafts - here's the guys who somewhat play the same position as saddiq bey and devin vassell and who were drafted right around where we can probably expect those two to go - and maybe to us at 16.

trey lyles (12) - kelly oubre (15) - sam dekker (18) - taurean prince (12) - denzel valentine (14) - juancho hernangomez (15) - guerschon yabusele (16) - caris levert (20) - luke kennard (12) - justin jackson (15) - harry giles (20) - miles bridges (12) - michael porter jr. (14) - troy brown (15) - kevin huerter (19) - josh okogie (20)

pretty mixed bag, i'd say. counting on a midfirst pick to be your starting SF solution in his rookie year is a pie in the sky proposition.
I'd say this is true regardless of position or where they're picked. All of the rookies are going to have ups and downs so relying on them is going to cost you eventually.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:13 pm is devin vassel or saddiq bey a better nba SF than jared vanderbilt? i think that completely remains to be seen - and i'd place no bets at this point.

Almost impossible to have any data on despite the fact that Vanderbilt is currently on the Wolves roster and has been since the trade deadline. But, since they gave him zero run with the big league club they have exactly zero data.

I thought his 3 point shot looked pretty good in the video, but he is only shooting 25.8% from 3 so his shooting still leaves a lot ot be desired.

I still think that the WOlves erred by not playing him. Against NBA competition can he do anything even close to what he is doing in the GLeague.

Lastly, I don't think Vanderbilt is a "SF".
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

he's got the height of a PF but weighs 214. skinny - especially in his lower body. i think he's a tweener and could play both spots depending on matchups. his three pt % is poor, but that's mostly because it's never been a part of his game. he played 14 games for kentucky and attempted just one three. he's attempted just 34 in two seasons in the gleague. i think it's just something that he's starting to incorporate - so it's a process. let's hope he continues to work on it and improve. but if you look at his other skills, he seems well suited to being a playmaking small forward - very good in the open court, puts the ball on the floor well, sees his teammates really well, very good passer. he just looks like a talented SF to me - and one who also rebounds super well.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:13 pm my opinion is that toppin will probably be a better nba player than spellman. after that, nothing's set in stone. is devin vassel or saddiq bey a better nba SF than jared vanderbilt? i think that completely remains to be seen - and i'd place no bets at this point.

:lol: Vanderbilt a 3? :lol:

Get yourself a Wolves jersey and a mirror. When you want to write shit like that just use them to know who the hell we are. Vanderbilt a 3. :lol:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

vanderbilt's game is somewhat a poor man's ben simmons - and if ben simmons can play PG in the pros, vandy can certainly be a combo forward who can handle PT at the SF spot. and ... if we were to take toppin, vanderbilt is the superior perimeter defender of the two - better suited to cover 3s. also - a lot of things people like about deni ajdiva's game bear similarities to vanderbilt's strengths. is ajdiva a pro 3 or 4? he'll be a combo - like what we could try to establish with vanderbilt.

cue the standard dead horse response we've all come to gaggingly expect.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:18 pm vanderbilt's game is somewhat a poor man's ben simmons -
A destitute homeless person's Ben Simmons.....I mean one that could not even come up with a card board box and all destitute homeless person. One that makes other homeless persons rich by comparison.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:21 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:18 pm vanderbilt's game is somewhat a poor man's ben simmons -
A destitute homeless person's Ben Simmons.....I mean one that could not even come up with a card board box and all destitute homeless person. One that makes other homeless persons rich by comparison.
:lol:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
somuchyummy

who might : Evans, Spellman, Vanderbilt to Iowa

Post by somuchyummy »

oh we love to expect failure, don't we. it's the minnesota way.

the comp to ben simmons wasn't mine - it was from a scouting report on vanderbilt - as was another comp to lamar odom. is he the player they are (were)? - no. but he brings in elements of the game that are similar to both - and he's still just 20. even if you look at his high school tape against crummy competition, you'll see that vandy is not the average bear when it comes to forwards. he brings the ball up the court, he's got great vision and passing ability, he's got advanced handles for a kid his age and size, he can very effectively defend the perimeter, he's got great body control and hops. he's a multi-dimensional swiss army knife kind of player. and, yes, like ben simmons - he has difficulty hitting the outside shot.

he went to kentucky 5 star highly recruited - played just 14 games for them before foot and ankle injuries knocked him out - (he's had foot problems since high school) - but in those 14 games at Kentucky, got over 25% of the rebounds on the court - easily the best rebounder in college until the injury hit. he went pro - got taken in the 40s, but has had more foot issues since. it is THE thing with him - not the talent. but, like i said earlier, he's 20 - hardly the age to sound the death knell on a talented player. if he can stay healthy, and we can bring out the best elements of his game, there's no reason to expect failure. he displayed skills in high school that we only wish we could see josh okogie show now.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:18 pm vanderbilt's game is somewhat a poor man's ben simmons - and if ben simmons can play PG in the pros, vandy can certainly be a combo forward who can handle PT at the SF spot. and ... if we were to take toppin, vanderbilt is the superior perimeter defender of the two - better suited to cover 3s. also - a lot of things people like about deni ajdiva's game bear similarities to vanderbilt's strengths. is ajdiva a pro 3 or 4? he'll be a combo - like what we could try to establish with vanderbilt.

cue the standard dead horse response we've all come to gaggingly expect.
Ben Simmons would be playing backup 5 on this idiot team.

Again I am not in any way saying your judgement of individual players is wrong. I am laughing at the notion that the idiot or his idiot rent boy would agree.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Tell us about the modern NBA again. You know, that part where you have to be able to shoot? Like Ben Simmons?
Thrillkill

Re: who might : Evans, Spellman, Vanderbilt to Iowa

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:58 pm oh we love to expect failure, don't we. it's the minnesota way.

the comp to ben simmons wasn't mine - it was from a scouting report on vanderbilt - as was another comp to lamar odom. is he the player they are (were)? - no. but he brings in elements of the game that are similar to both - and he's still just 20. even if you look at his high school tape against crummy competition, you'll see that vandy is not the average bear when it comes to forwards. he brings the ball up the court, he's got great vision and passing ability, he's got advanced handles for a kid his age and size, he can very effectively defend the perimeter, he's got great body control and hops. he's a multi-dimensional swiss army knife kind of player. and, yes, like ben simmons - he has difficulty hitting the outside shot.

he went to kentucky 5 star highly recruited - played just 14 games for them before foot and ankle injuries knocked him out - (he's had foot problems since high school) - but in those 14 games at Kentucky, got over 25% of the rebounds on the court - easily the best rebounder in college until the injury hit. he went pro - got taken in the 40s, but has had more foot issues since. it is THE thing with him - not the talent. but, like i said earlier, he's 20 - hardly the age to sound the death knell on a talented player. if he can stay healthy, and we can bring out the best elements of his game, there's no reason to expect failure. he displayed skills in high school that we only wish we could see josh okogie show now.
You can't comp players by skill set here! You know that. Don't be silly.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:35 pm
Tell us about the modern NBA again. You know, that part where you have to be able to shoot? Like Ben Simmons?
Very few players can play in the NBA without being able to shoot. Ben Simmons might be one of them because he is a total freak, but then again, while he is a good player I think Simmons is an overrated player.