Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Evans, Spellman, Vanderbilt to Iowa

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
digitalwolf

Re: Evans, Spellman, Vanderbilt to Iowa

Post by digitalwolf »

Just very short responses...almost as if he was a badass before proving he was.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

digitalwolf wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:13 pm Just very short responses...almost as if he was a badass before proving he was.
If you were a young big proving your worth and you just got traded to a team that will play exactly 1 big and has Towns how happy are you? Is there a way he could have been screwed more?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:35 pm
digitalwolf wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:13 pm Just very short responses...almost as if he was a badass before proving he was.
If you were a young big proving your worth and you just got traded to a team that will play exactly 1 big and has Towns how happy are you? Is there a way he could have been screwed more?
Spellman and Evans were nothing but salary cutting throw ins in the trade so Golden St. could get under the luxury tax threshold for 2019-20.

Minnesota did not want them and they would have preferred the trade without including Spellman and Evans. We took them back in the deal because the Wolves management was desperate to get rid of Wiggins and get Russell.

Ironically, the trade of the bottom two teams in teh Western Conference changed the Warriors from being over the luxury tax and the Wolves over.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:50 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:35 pm
Spellman and Evans were nothing but salary cutting throw ins in the trade so Golden St. could get under the luxury tax threshold for 2019-20.

Minnesota did not want them and they would have preferred the trade without including Spellman and Evans. We took them back in the deal because the Wolves management was desperate to get rid of Wiggins and get Russell.

Ironically, the trade of the bottom two teams in teh Western Conference changed the Warriors from being over the luxury tax and the Wolves over.
And that's why Spellman is pissed and we are morons. He's good and we are to stupid to see it because he's too tall.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:38 pm
And that's why Spellman is pissed and we are morons. He's good and we are to stupid to see it because he's too tall.
I get that you are playing this schickt, but the too tall thing is getting fucking annoying.

While I am not going to say Spellman s "good", I will say that the Wolves development of players is moronic and it has been moronic for more than a rebuilding decade. Even though we have been a terrible, terrible team over most of the past 15 years, the team just seems to refuse to play young player and develop and evaluate them on the court.

We are 17-41. We have the 5th worst record in the NBA and we have 0.0% chance of making the playoffs.

I get that they want to get Hernangomez and Reid on the floor and playing. I get, as I pointed out above, that Evans and Spellman were throw ins to the deal so GSW could drop their salaries off their cap and save on luxury taxes and not have to pay repeater luxury tax levels next season.

But, why not get them out on the court in a game and give them some regular rotation minutes while the NBA teams that we are playing are still playing competitive basketball? If they wait 15 more games, a lot of teams will be on cruise control and your evaluations of players on the court will have to adjust in a subjective manner.

I have said this on these forums for the past 12 years with this question: What will it hurt? With our win last night, we are 17-40, 29.8% winning percentage. That projects to a 24.5 win season. If you play Spellman as the primary backup to Reid/Hernangomez and he gets 22 minutes per game and you give Evans 10 minutes/game at least, what is that going to hurt? WIll we end the season with 22 wins vs. 24? 20? As Hillary Clinton is proud to say, what difference does it make?

I get putting an experienced vet like James Johnson in the game gives the team a "better chance of winning", but the fact is the incremental odds improvement is virtually meaningless, the fact is a win actually hurts the long term future of this team incrementally, and the team has done this consistently and never properly developed a young guy like Omari Spellman, tall or short.

I don't think Spellman is as good as you say, but statistically he had played 18 minutes/game and had played in virtually every game at Golden St this season. He was shooting 39% from 3 point range on 4.5 attempts/36, 79.3% from the line, and averaged 8.9 boards/36. Coming out of college Spellman was a great spot up shooter and was considered a better than average defensive prospect coming out of Villanova which plays a NBA style system. Given what the WOlves have, how does this guy not get out on the court and get an opportunity?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:33 am
Thrillkill wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:38 pm
I get that you are playing this schickt, but the too tall thing is getting fucking annoying.

While I am not going to say Spellman s "good", I will say that the Wolves development of players is moronic and it has been moronic for more than a rebuilding decade. Even though we have been a terrible, terrible team over most of the past 15 years, the team just seems to refuse to play young player and develop and evaluate them on the court.

We are 17-41. We have the 5th worst record in the NBA and we have 0.0% chance of making the playoffs.

I get that they want to get Hernangomez and Reid on the floor and playing. I get, as I pointed out above, that Evans and Spellman were throw ins to the deal so GSW could drop their salaries off their cap and save on luxury taxes and not have to pay repeater luxury tax levels next season.

But, why not get them out on the court in a game and give them some regular rotation minutes while the NBA teams that we are playing are still playing competitive basketball? If they wait 15 more games, a lot of teams will be on cruise control and your evaluations of players on the court will have to adjust in a subjective manner.

I have said this on these forums for the past 12 years with this question: What will it hurt? With our win last night, we are 17-40, 29.8% winning percentage. That projects to a 24.5 win season. If you play Spellman as the primary backup to Reid/Hernangomez and he gets 22 minutes per game and you give Evans 10 minutes/game at least, what is that going to hurt? WIll we end the season with 22 wins vs. 24? 20? As Hillary Clinton is proud to say, what difference does it make?

I get putting an experienced vet like James Johnson in the game gives the team a "better chance of winning", but the fact is the incremental odds improvement is virtually meaningless, the fact is a win actually hurts the long term future of this team incrementally, and the team has done this consistently and never properly developed a young guy like Omari Spellman, tall or short.

I don't think Spellman is as good as you say, but statistically he had played 18 minutes/game and had played in virtually every game at Golden St this season. He was shooting 39% from 3 point range on 4.5 attempts/36, 79.3% from the line, and averaged 8.9 boards/36. Coming out of college Spellman was a great spot up shooter and was considered a better than average defensive prospect coming out of Villanova which plays a NBA style system. Given what the WOlves have, how does this guy not get out on the court and get an opportunity?
The too tall thing is getting old. And stupid. Wish they'd stop doing it.

And your contention is if the idiot didn't take a shine to a guy immediately we should give them no chance. Brilliant. TOO BRILLIANT
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:53 am

And your contention is if the idiot didn't take a shine to a guy immediately we should give them no chance. Brilliant. TOO BRILLIANT
Claiming that they don't play Spellman because he is 6-8 vs. Johnson 6-7 or Naz Reid at 6-9 is pretty stupid, yes.

As far as what you believe my contention is, you missed it by 180 degrees. THEY NEED TO PLAY SPELLMAN. IT IS MORONIC NOT TO. They have nothing to lose and a lot to gain. THis has been my position fo 12 years as this team muddles their way through terrible losing season after losing season, but never seem to find time to play young developmental players.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

At the rate Spellman's playing in the G league, you may be able to flip him come draft night for a few 2nd rd picks.
You're not gonna get that if he's sitting on the bench here, so if they have no plan for him than showcasing him in the G league ain't bad.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:03 am

Claiming that they don't play Spellman because he is 6-8 vs. Johnson 6-7 or Naz Reid at 6-9 is pretty stupid, yes.

As far as what you believe my contention is, you missed it by 180 degrees. THEY NEED TO PLAY SPELLMAN. IT IS MORONIC NOT TO. They have nothing to lose and a lot to gain. THis has been my position fo 12 years as this team muddles their way through terrible losing season after losing season, but never seem to find time to play young developmental players.
And they won't play him......................why? It's because he's too tall. No shit! What part of we want to play small straight from each of the idiot;'s mouths is getting past you? Which part of we want to crank 3's but won't play our 2nd best 3 shooter in Dieng is getting past you? What part of we can't rebound or defend the paint but all bigs down to Iowa even with Towns out is getting past you

Now why don't you wake the fuck up. Telling me Towns is 6'11" is some dumb ass shit. Yeah they will play 1 tall guy at a time. If you can't figure out they won't play anymore because they are TOO FUCKING TALL then you are too fucking oblivious.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:54 am

And they won't play him......................why? It's because he's too tall. No shit! What part of we want to play small straight from each of the idiot;'s mouths is getting past you? Which part of we want to crank 3's but won't play our 2nd best 3 shooter in Dieng is getting past you? What part of we can't rebound or defend the paint but all bigs down to Iowa even with Towns out is getting past you

Now why don't you wake the fuck up. Telling me Towns is 6'11" is some dumb ass shit. Yeah they will play 1 tall guy at a time. If you can't figure out they won't play anymore because they are TOO FUCKING TALL then you are too fucking oblivious.
And I think you are regurgitating previous idiotic babbling. The Wolves have Herangomez and Reid as their starters. They are tall, certainly in the same height range as Spellman. So, claiming they wont play him because he is too tall is just plain dumb.

Repeating it over and over again, just takes away from some of the more substantial points you often make. Why you are doing this baffles me.

The Wolves have a long tradition of being hesitant to put developmental players into the lineup. Spellman would be a player I would want in the game 20 minutes in a regular rotation each and every game. IF he plays well, then his value either to your own team or some other team only can increase. Putting him in the G-league or on the bench means you have a guaranteed 2020-21 contract that you either need to dump or not play because he is "unproven". In fact, the injury to Towns only makes this more of an opportunity.

In the end, it comes down to what does it really matter. LOSING games benefits the team in the long run so why worry. Let the guy make mistakes, learn the system, and gain experience playing with his teammates NOW, rather than potentially next year when hopefully we are not in full blown tank mode and can believe we can compete. (The fact that I have written basically this same paragraph over 10 years of constant losing is pretty sad).
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:04 am

And I think you are regurgitating previous idiotic babbling. The Wolves have Herangomez and Reid as their starters. They are tall, certainly in the same height range as Spellman. So, claiming they wont play him because he is too tall is just plain dumb.

Repeating it over and over again, just takes away from some of the more substantial points you often make. Why you are doing this baffles me.

The Wolves have a long tradition of being hesitant to put developmental players into the lineup. Spellman would be a player I would want in the game 20 minutes in a regular rotation each and every game. IF he plays well, then his value either to your own team or some other team only can increase. Putting him in the G-league or on the bench means you have a guaranteed 2020-21 contract that you either need to dump or not play because he is "unproven". In fact, the injury to Towns only makes this more of an opportunity.

In the end, it comes down to what does it really matter. LOSING games benefits the team in the long run so why worry. Let the guy make mistakes, learn the system, and gain experience playing with his teammates NOW, rather than potentially next year when hopefully we are not in full blown tank mode and can believe we can compete. (The fact that I have written basically this same paragraph over 10 years of constant losing is pretty sad).
You are too myopic to have this argument with.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:12 am
mlhouse wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:04 am

You are too myopic to have this argument with.
I am not certain you know what the word myopic means......
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

memyworld wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:35 pm
vanderbilt has always been a hell of a rebounder. it's what his game is based on and i hope we recognize and utilize it. he's a vacuum cleaner.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
memyworld

Post by memyworld »

Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I believe this is what you call an embarrassment of riches.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

poor juancho spent yesterday trying to body up a superlative athlete who also outweighs him by 70 pounds.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Moses Scurry wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:05 pm I believe this is what you call an embarrassment of riches.
This is what you call an embarrassingly retarded GM who thinks height is a disadvantage in the NBA.

Hey.....wait......you love him don't you! :lol:
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:05 pm poor juancho spent yesterday trying to body up a superlative athlete who also outweighs him by 70 pounds.
We just couldn't deal with their size! :lol:
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

With how much Rosas was ripped for letting Cameron Reynolds go I'm stumped as to why he isn't ripping it up on a different team.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:28 pm With how much Rosas was ripped for letting Cameron Reynolds go I'm stumped as to why he isn't ripping it up on a different team.
you know and i know that there are times and places for players - sometimes the mix is right and sometimes it isn't. put draymond green on the charlotte hornets for his career and i doubt that he would be held in as high regard as he is. there was no need to muck up cameron reynolds and jump thru the hoops we did in the offseason in terms of backup wings. he earned another look - 44%/41%/89% with good D in the time he played for us. and there's no reason to think his play would have fallen off a cliff this year if we'd just have kept him and continued with some bench stability. i don't buy into the argument that "look he sucks now cuz no one uses him" - when the proof is right there in his decent steady play for us last year.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:30 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:28 pm With how much Rosas was ripped for letting Cameron Reynolds go I'm stumped as to why he isn't ripping it up on a different team.
you know and i know that there are times and places for players - sometimes the mix is right and sometimes it isn't. put draymond green on the charlotte hornets for his career and i doubt that he would be held in as high regard as he is. there was no need to muck up cameron reynolds and jump thru the hoops we did in the offseason in terms of backup wings. he earned another look - 44%/41%/89% with good D in the time he played for us. and there's no reason to think his play would have fallen off a cliff this year if we'd just have kept him and continued with some bench stability. i don't buy into the argument that "look he sucks now cuz no one uses him" - when the proof is right there in his decent steady play for us last year.
Then what does it say about the 29 other teams that haven't done anything to bring him to their NBA team? They have all the tape we did on Reynolds.

Draymond would still be Draymond but he wouldn't be getting near the same amount of attention. It wouldn't make him a worse player.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:06 pm
Then what does it say about the 29 other teams that haven't done anything to bring him to their NBA team? They have all the tape we did on Reynolds.

Draymond would still be Draymond but he wouldn't be getting near the same amount of attention. It wouldn't make him a worse player.
One way to look at reynolds.

Another way is this. Other teams already have bench wings of reynold's caliber so they keep those guys for continuity, rather than shake up the team by forever bringing in the next version of cam reynolds. I am not saying that cam was some sort of star in the making. But he had ideal size, played hard and shot well. Absolutely fine as a low minutes bench wing. You think chucking him on the slag heap and bringing in treveon graham for more bux worked out so well?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:01 pm
flexbuffchest wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:06 pm

One way to look at reynolds.

Another way is this. Other teams already have bench wings of reynold's caliber so they keep those guys for continuity, rather than shake up the team by forever bringing in the next version of cam reynolds. I am not saying that cam was some sort of star in the making. But he had ideal size, played hard and shot well. Absolutely fine as a low minutes bench wing. You think chucking him on the slag heap and bringing in treveon graham for more bux worked out so well?
I think you make a solid point. But, then, Glen got Napier and Graham for free with the cash that GSW sent in the deal. That was the prime motivation. Filling two roster spots for nothing.

And, on edit, when all of those Rubes who deny that the only motivation for bringing them in was the financial savings, why bring in a guy like Napier or Graham with expiring deals? If they play well, then they are looking for a much more substantial contract somewhere else. IF they play poorly, well, that is what was expected. The Early Bird Rights of Treveon Graham were essentially worthless.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i just think that the 450some players signed to nba teams don't represent the 450some best players on the globe. there's fit, team chemistry, personality, stability factors and coaching/front office changes that come into play as teams make up their rosters. so to say that cam reynolds is not an nba player because he's currently without a team is IMO not a valid argument. he proved last season that he's a reasonable option as an nba bench wing.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:04 am i just think that the 450some players signed to nba teams don't represent the 450some best players on the globe. there's fit, team chemistry, personality, stability factors and coaching/front office changes that come into play as teams make up their rosters. so to say that cam reynolds is not an nba player because he's currently without a team is IMO not a valid argument. he proved last season that he's a reasonable option as an nba bench wing.
There are players and situations that just work. Cam was an example of that here. In a System that was going to be dependent on hitting threes, he had proven the ability to do that on this team, better than almost anyone else on the team at the time. Pretty stupid to dump that.

Who gives a shit what they do elsewhere. How often have the Wolves got a player that was effective elsewhere, only to come here and be worthless.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

memyworld wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:44 am
Bizarre situation here.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Same way you were stumped that he kept a worse player who made more money? Same way you were lost that Reynolds had a longer unguaranteed deal that was valuable. Or is it that the bum we kept instead was starting because of the idiot and told to jack 3's at 20%? Or did that all make sense to you somehow?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:47 am
memyworld wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:44 am
Bizarre situation here.
Bizarre but utterly explainable. Same explanation for all stupid shit he does. Cant admit he's wrong. The only reason we suck is everyone else can't see how perfect we are.