Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Evans, Spellman, Vanderbilt to Iowa

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
winforlose

Evans, Spellman, Vanderbilt to Iowa

Post by winforlose »

According to Hoopshype as of today.

Edit to include underlying link

https://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news/m ... t-g-league
digitalwolf

Re: Evans, Spellman, Vanderbilt to Iowa

Post by digitalwolf »

I saw that earlier off Realgm....and it's a good thing, they should be getting minutes somewhere. One could argue they could get a look with the big squad, but in reality, full run down there will be better for their development than garbage time with us.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

digitalwolf wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:38 pm I saw that earlier off Realgm....and it's a good thing, they should be getting minutes somewhere. One could argue they could get a look with the big squad, but in reality, full run down there will be better for their development than garbage time with us.
Spellman should get every opportunity to take Hurmanmunster's spot but we for no legit reason won't play 2 bigs.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:41 pm
digitalwolf wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:38 pm I saw that earlier off Realgm....and it's a good thing, they should be getting minutes somewhere. One could argue they could get a look with the big squad, but in reality, full run down there will be better for their development than garbage time with us.
Spellman should get every opportunity to take Hurmanmunster's spot but we for no legit reason won't play 2 bigs.
My problem with Spellman is he's very similar to a guy we already have, Naz. Both guys need to work on their body, but if Spellman has to do that in G league, so be it. Frankly, they are both too fat. Juancho and James Johnson on the other hand are simply way better athletes and can run the floor. I think it's because of that more than our idea of playing two bigs. Spellman, Juancho, JJ, and Naz are literally all the same height, but two guys are clearly heads and shoulders above the other two in terms of body condition.

Juancho's small sample size as a starter has him at 15 and 6 shooting nearly 43% from deep. If Spellman is lighting it up in G league, maybe he should get called up....but Juancho looks pretty decent. (again, in a short sample size)
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

I agree. It makes sense with Layman back. Have Layman backup JH until he gets his conditioning back. Move JJ to the 5 with Reid and now you have your rotation. Hopefully Vanderbilt has a breakthrough in the G league and proves he has some value (either playing or trade.)
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

If Towns is still out, not sure how this makes sense
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

morneaumvp wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:32 pm If Towns is still out, not sure how this makes sense
Towns out and Layman back. Layman plays backup 4. JJ moves to the 5. JH/Layman at the 4, JJ/Reid 5. When Kat is back you can move Layman to the 3, Culver to the 2 and keep those three in Iowa if you want.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Layman is officially back?
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

j2j wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:19 pm Layman is officially back?
I'm gonna say no. The last I heard anything about him was...two weeks ago?
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Spellman has been down there a week or so already. Played a few games and did well according to the stats.

Evans as well, but not that great.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

And these are the mostly likely guys to be traded/waived per our wishes...how odd.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

Iowa wolves box score link for anyone curious.

https://gleague.nba.com/games/20200219/IWASLC/
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Layman is back to practicing today it sounds like. He'll be checked out again in a week, etc.
Seenin

Post by Seenin »

Steam:Seenin
Xbox:Seenin
Discord:SirFucksworth
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

irishman89 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:28 pm Layman is back to practicing today it sounds like. He'll be checked out again in a week, etc.
So much for Glen saying he would return. Sounds like they will call Spellman or Vanderbilt up today or tomorrow. Unless of course the idiot wants to run a 3 man rotation with no backup bigs on the bench. One sprained ankle later and Okogie could be playing the 4.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

winforlose wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:38 pm
irishman89 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:28 pm Layman is back to practicing today it sounds like. He'll be checked out again in a week, etc.
So much for Glen saying he would return. Sounds like they will call Spellman or Vanderbilt up today or tomorrow. Unless of course the idiot wants to run a 3 man rotation with no backup bigs on the bench. One sprained ankle later and Okogie could be playing the 4.
I hope they do, gives us a good chance to assess + getting them to meet their team mates.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

morneaumvp wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:32 pm If Towns is still out, not sure how this makes sense
:lol: Wolves fan expects lineups to make sense!

Classic rube.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

winforlose wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:38 pm
I'm gonna go ahead right now and put the odds on Okogie at the 4 at 60%.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

Evans and Vanderbilt called up. Omari Spellman despite scoring 32 last night not called up. My guess, Spellman slept with someones wife, and or sister.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

winforlose wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:28 pm Evans and Vanderbilt called up. Omari Spellman despite scoring 32 last night not called up. My guess, Spellman slept with someones wife, and or sister.
He's being used as asset fodder....I don't think they had any intention of giving him a look, but maybe before they decided to flat our waive him...it's possible they saw the idea to hold him and see if he has value later, ala, on draft night as a young throw in? He didn't want to leave GS, and his reps reached out that he was most likely not happy to come into this situation, so I don't think things ever started off right between the two parties.

I like his game, but it does look a bit redundant to have if we're planning on keeping Naz and most likely drafting or shopping for another big this offseason.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

digitalwolf wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:47 pm
winforlose wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:28 pm Evans and Vanderbilt called up. Omari Spellman despite scoring 32 last night not called up. My guess, Spellman slept with someones wife, and or sister.
He's being used as asset fodder....I don't think they had any intention of giving him a look, but maybe before they decided to flat our waive him...it's possible they saw the idea to hold him and see if he has value later, ala, on draft night as a young throw in? He didn't want to leave GS, and his reps reached out that he was most likely not happy to come into this situation, so I don't think things ever started off right between the two parties.

I like his game, but it does look a bit redundant to have if we're planning on keeping Naz and most likely drafting or shopping for another big this offseason.
The guy is 3 times as valuable as Evans. He is a perfect backup to JH. He can be unhappy, he can downright miserable, he hasn’t earned the right to bitch and moan about it. In his first season he was a fat loser. In his second season he has turned into a decent player. Decent players need to keep their head down and work their tails off to become good players. I agree we likely move him, but we should give him some serious run to make sure we don’t want to keep him. Also to increase his trade value. The guy is killing it in Iowa, he deserves to be here.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

It's disappointing it's not working out where he can come up and play some PF. The rest of this season is about getting looks at different guys and while I've been OK with Hernangomez.... I wouldn't mind Spellman given a shot too.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

winforlose wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:59 pm

The guy is 3 times as valuable as Evans. He is a perfect backup to JH. He can be unhappy, he can downright miserable, he hasn’t earned the right to bitch and moan about it. In his first season he was a fat loser. In his second season he has turned into a decent player. Decent players need to keep their head down and work their tails off to become good players. I agree we likely move him, but we should give him some serious run to make sure we don’t want to keep him. Also to increase his trade value. The guy is killing it in Iowa, he deserves to be here.
These are all true things, but I very much think he came in here with a bad attitude. His presser helped confirm that....but I agree, he and his agents should have taken nose the grindstone approach and let things work themselves out in the offseason.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

digitalwolf wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:13 pm

These are all true things, but I very much think he came in here with a bad attitude. His presser helped confirm that....but I agree, he and his agents should have taken nose the grindstone approach and let things work themselves out in the offseason.
The only thing we disagree about is what to do about the bad attitude. I think his problem was going from legit playing time to being out of the rotation. With KAT gone you can play Layman at the 3, Culver at the 2, JJ at the 5 and give Spellman minutes at the 4. Everybody wins. Although, if Vanderbilt is truly in our future plans, then there are worse things than him getting some run with the mothership.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

winforlose wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:25 pm

The only thing we disagree about is what to do about the bad attitude. I think his problem was going from legit playing time to being out of the rotation. With KAT gone you can play Layman at the 3, Culver at the 2, JJ at the 5 and give Spellman minutes at the 4. Everybody wins. Although, if Vanderbilt is truly in our future plans, then there are worse things than him getting some run with the mothership.
Don't get me wrong, I like his game and I think he should get run with the actual squad....but he probably didn't come here with the right approach. Whether or not that approach cemented him to the Gleague until the summer roles around, maybe? It could be like I said though, he's just asset fodder and they don't need to mix him in or juice his value so to speak. He was most likely planned all along to be let go or a throw in, maybe him coming in shitty just made that decision easier on the brass?

But yeah, while KAT is out, he def has room to play here.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

This.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

digitalwolf wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:29 pm Don't get me wrong, I like his game and I think he should get run with the actual squad....but he probably didn't come here with the right approach. Whether or not that approach cemented him to the Gleague until the summer roles around, maybe? It could be like I said though, he's just asset fodder and they don't need to mix him in or juice his value so to speak. He was most likely planned all along to be let go or a throw in, maybe him coming in shitty just made that decision easier on the brass?

But yeah, while KAT is out, he def has room to play here.
From what I've read, I think the guy just seems like a total basket case.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

For a young player like Spellman you would think he would be excited to get a potential opportunity to play and would have a solid attitude.

He was dumped by Golden St. to get under the luxury tax with Evans. I agree that the Wolves should be giving him time in a tank schedule and either figure out if he is a fit here as a backup player and/ortry to show case his skills to trade in the offseason. He has a guaranteed 2020-21 salary so waiving him means you eat his salary for nothing.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:56 pm

For a young player like Spellman you would think he would be excited to get a potential opportunity to play and would have a solid attitude.

He was dumped by Golden St. to get under the luxury tax with Evans. I agree that the Wolves should be giving him time in a tank schedule and either figure out if he is a fit here as a backup player and/ortry to show case his skills to trade in the offseason. He has a guaranteed 2020-21 salary so waiving him means you eat his salary for nothing.
They would stretch him, but the point is he is too valuable to do that with. They will trade him. His real problem here besides all of the attitude stuff is that he is redundant to Reid who is cheaper. and I don't think he fits the mold of what we are looking for in a PF, in that he is not going to fit what we want to do defensively. Should he be playing with Kat out, and back up Reid? sure, but the fact he is not tells you a bit about where the relationship is and how he fits in our plans long-term.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

What did he do in his presser? He was there at the media intro with the others, but nothing else?