Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Celtics beat us to the punch, will retire KG's jersey next season

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
morneaumvp

Celtics beat us to the punch, will retire KG's jersey next season

Post by morneaumvp »

Glenn and KG gotta bury the hatchet.

T_J

Re: Celtics beat us to the punch, will retire KG's jersey next season

Post by T_J »

This is truly embarrassing.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Yet another lowpoint to this franchises long list of failures.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Glen's got pride though!
Spoiler:
:brick:
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

T_J wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:36 pm This is truly embarrassing.
Sad really, those bastards in Boston are erasing our history :no:
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Fucking embarrassing.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

This is peak Timberwolves, gang.

Perfection.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:56 pm This is peak Timberwolves, gang.

Perfection.
Yes. BTW really Celtics? How long was even there? 5 years? And one championship in that storied franchise history. Yes, Garnett deserves his.jersey retired but probably not by the Celtics at all, imo. Whatever.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

This is actually quite gutting.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

LordNu wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:30 pm This is actually quite gutting.
Rosas has gotta fix this and use KAT and Ryan to bring Taylor and KG together
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

I never really was on the Glen Taylor hate, but now, I get it.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

Is it mutual between KG and Glen? Everything I read says that Glen has tried to do things like this before but KG basically hates his guts. Before Flip died the rumor was he and KG were getting an investment group together to buy out Glen because while KG wanted to work with the franchise, he didn’t want any connection to Glen. I just wonder if maybe Boston got their first because KG doesn’t hate their owner.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

winforlose wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:55 pm Is it mutual between KG and Glen? Everything I read says that Glen has tried to do things like this before but KG basically hates his guts. Before Flip died the rumor was he and KG were getting an investment group together to buy out Glen because while KG wanted to work with the franchise, he didn’t want any connection to Glen. I just wonder if maybe Boston got their first because KG doesn’t hate their owner.
I think When Flip died, Glen reneged on the deal involving KG. The idea was that Flip would be spearheading the investment group.

I have only ever heard that it is KG refusing to have their jersey retired, not that Glen wouldn't do it. But who knows. KG does love Minnesota, but his hate for Glen is real.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I'm not losing any sleep over it.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

This is like the Florida Marlins retiring Gary Sheffield's number.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Subarudrivingsnowflake

Post by Subarudrivingsnowflake »

Am I the only one who thinks retired jerseys should be saved for players who win Championships for that team? I get it that a lot of teams do this, but I feel like you should have to earn it with a championship?

I understand why Boston is doing it. But the wolves??

Garnett never got help because his record breaking contract prevented the wolves from recruiting the necessary talent to realistically compete. It also didn’t help that he came up during Shaqs dominance at the time.
TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

So embarrassing
Spoiler:
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

TrueBlue wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:52 am

So embarrassing
He's waiting for Glen to die or sell the team.
j2j

Post by j2j »

KG was promised a pathway to minority ownership of the Wolves when he came back. When Flip died GT went back on his promise and Thibs kicked him to the curb.

GT thinks he did nothing wrong and KG isn't ready to make nice yet.

Honestly at this point, I dont really give a shit about it. No one will wear his number, but it's not going to be lifted to the rafters. The whole thing is just another embarrassing saga of this shitty franchise.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
T_J

Post by T_J »

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/19/1535 ... -ownership
"I love those young guys," Garnett said about Minnesota’s triplet of youngsters, Karl-Anthony Towns, Andrew Wiggins, and Zach LaVine. "I told [head coach Tom Thibodeau] I want to work with him, but obviously me and [Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor] don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of things and that's how it's going to be."
Garnett envisioned having a bigger say in the team’s decision-making process, according to AP. But Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor fired general manager Milt Newton and head coach Sam Mitchell — KG’s good friend — replacing the two with Tom Thibodeau as coach-president and Scott Layden as the new GM.
KG lit into the Timberwolves organization, according to AP, for how they handled the aftermath of Saunders’ passing. The team orchestrated an opening ceremony for their 2015-16 home opener that included a video tribute with players, coaches, and media speaking on Saunders’ impact on their lives.

But that wasn’t enough, according to Garnett, for someone who gave their all to the franchise.

"I thought he wasn't celebrated the proper way,” he said. “You have high school banners, you have (expletive) hockey banners (hanging in the rafters). You couldn't put a Flip banner in Target Center, some place that we helped build? ... We established that market. I helped grow that with him. You can't put him in the (rafters)?

"So I just had problems with how they were shoving this down all of our throats. The young guys, they weren't invested enough to really understand what was going on. I chose to be mute, to be professional and keep all the negative energy down. There was a bigger message I wanted to tell, but I supported it and just kept my mouth shut."
While Taylor says he has reached out about retiring a jersey for Garnett, who leads the Minnesota franchise in most all-time statistical categories, KG says he has yet to hear from ownership.

"I choose to let the Timberwolves focus on what they're focused on and I'm focused on what I'm focused on," he said. "I still live in Minny. I still got love for Minny. You know what it is. I'm still a Timberwolf until I die, as I am a Celtic. And that's what it is."
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Subarudrivingsnowflake wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:27 am Am I the only one who thinks retired jerseys should be saved for players who win Championships for that team? I get it that a lot of teams do this, but I feel like you should have to earn it with a championship?

Garnett never got help because his record breaking contract prevented the wolves from recruiting the necessary talent to realistically compete. It also didn’t help that he came up during Shaqs dominance at the time.
I haven't paid attention to the Celtics numbers but I'm assuming no one else has worn 5 since he left? Either way, I'm a bit surprised they're retiring his number. In looking at their retired numbers, some aren't players (1 & 2) but it looks like KG might have the shortest tenure of any of the players.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Honestly, I wonder what we did to BOS to piss them off.
Rat Pack Guy

Post by Rat Pack Guy »

Not gonna lie, it hurts. #21 needs to be retired. KG and Taylor need to let bygones be bygones.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Solution:

Buy a KG Jersey.

Get a nosebleed seat ticket.

Nail the jersey to the wall and put up a sign that says “retired” with an arrow pointing to the jersey.

Problem solved.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

Fucking travesty.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

🇳🇪Z
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:23 pm Solution:

Buy a KG Jersey.

Get a nosebleed seat ticket.

Nail the jersey to the wall and put up a sign that says “retired” with an arrow pointing to the jersey.

Problem solved.
:lol: :thumbsup:
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

T_J wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:33 am https://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/19/1535 ... -ownership
"I love those young guys," Garnett said about Minnesota’s triplet of youngsters, Karl-Anthony Towns, Andrew Wiggins, and Zach LaVine. "I told [head coach Tom Thibodeau] I want to work with him, but obviously me and [Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor] don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of things and that's how it's going to be."
Garnett envisioned having a bigger say in the team’s decision-making process, according to AP. But Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor fired general manager Milt Newton and head coach Sam Mitchell — KG’s good friend — replacing the two with Tom Thibodeau as coach-president and Scott Layden as the new GM.
KG lit into the Timberwolves organization, according to AP, for how they handled the aftermath of Saunders’ passing. The team orchestrated an opening ceremony for their 2015-16 home opener that included a video tribute with players, coaches, and media speaking on Saunders’ impact on their lives.

But that wasn’t enough, according to Garnett, for someone who gave their all to the franchise.

"I thought he wasn't celebrated the proper way,” he said. “You have high school banners, you have (expletive) hockey banners (hanging in the rafters). You couldn't put a Flip banner in Target Center, some place that we helped build? ... We established that market. I helped grow that with him. You can't put him in the (rafters)?

"So I just had problems with how they were shoving this down all of our throats. The young guys, they weren't invested enough to really understand what was going on. I chose to be mute, to be professional and keep all the negative energy down. There was a bigger message I wanted to tell, but I supported it and just kept my mouth shut."
While Taylor says he has reached out about retiring a jersey for Garnett, who leads the Minnesota franchise in most all-time statistical categories, KG says he has yet to hear from ownership.

"I choose to let the Timberwolves focus on what they're focused on and I'm focused on what I'm focused on," he said. "I still live in Minny. I still got love for Minny. You know what it is. I'm still a Timberwolf until I die, as I am a Celtic. And that's what it is."
I tend to side with KG on all this. Flip's death meant much more to the franchise than any other travesty. As much as KG was the Wolves, Flip was THE coach of the Wolves. A bridge needs to be built.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Subarudrivingsnowflake wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:27 am Am I the only one who thinks retired jerseys should be saved for players who win Championships for that team? I get it that a lot of teams do this, but I feel like you should have to earn it with a championship?

Blaming Garnett because he didn't win a championship here?

Just no...

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:57 pm

Blaming Garnett because he didn't win a championship here?

Just no...
Should the Red Sox retire Ted Williams’ number?

Should the Dolphins retire Dan Marino’s number?

Should the Jazz retire Karl Malone’s number?

Should the Bruins retire Ray Bourque’s number?

If you say no to any of those questions, you’re a fucking idiot. Sorry.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov