Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves 2020-21 Preview

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Bob Wiley

Wolves 2020-21 Preview

Post by Bob Wiley »

These first three games of the 30 game preview are its a glimpse of next year. So far:

I love Beasley and Johnson. Beasley seems to produce just as much or more than Wiggins and he gives a shit. Listening to the great basketballs, it sounded like Johnson was just a throw in warm body, but he is athletic, a banger, and provides energy and competence.

I like Russell. He seems a little wild with the ball. Too many turnovers for my liking!but he can shoot the hell out of the ball.

JH doesn’t seem like a guy I want to keep. He doesn’t rebound well or finish at the rim.

Overall, I want to see how Culver progresses and how the team gels. I want to see Towns renewed enthusiasm and now he defends.

Other thoughts?
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
digitalwolf

Re: Wolves 2020-21 Preview

Post by digitalwolf »

These are all valid thoughts....JJ was kind of a throw in, but he does have a use on this team next year. The only issue I see....is we will be moving him at next years deadline. But he is a Taj like presence...perhaps even more athletic. He's a longer and more badass PJ Tucker...and he absolutely has a role here. I disagree with Juancho...he, just like with Beasley, has never been in a consistent role, let alone starting. Just like you see with all the new guys, these guys are adjusting...but with Juancho...his size, ability to get up the floor, and his shot from deep make him a desirable piece. Is he a starter next year?...maybe not, but for the right price he fills a need. And yes, he does have some flaws....but hard to comment on his poor rebounding after he grabbed 12 boards last night.

As for the new featured additions, Jim Peterson said what I thought as soon as we landed both....Beasley and Dlo have the potential to be the best Wolves backcourt ever. Granted, that's not super hard...but it is the reality. Beas does have the same scoring ability as Wiggins, he's just shorter. But...he's got a motor and he's got a wayyyy better shot, both aren't really worth much defensively, but Beas is going to cost half the price of Wiggins. As for Dlo, especially being the PG, he's going to look a bit off...in two games he's completely thrown balls out of bounds just because of chemistry and everyone being on the same page. Being a lefty, and he has the shiftyness for a bigger PG...he's going to accumulate some TO's, but with time and chemistry I'd expect all of the guys to have less mistakes as this season ends and into next year.

So far, great preview of what's to come...Juancho or not, I do think they add another PF. I think they like Naz, but I don't think anyone thinks he's starting material, but between Naz, Juancho, and JJ, I'm not mad if they don't add another PF. Each guy has a niche and we've got two guys that provide a lot of firepower, and Beas might end up being nearly just as lethal offensively.

The real question isn't who we have going forward, it's what are we doing draft night. Our two picks can net some serious depth or be packaged for something very big. I like what I'm seeing now, and I'm excited for June.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Too many 3's

No boards or interior D because we think size is a negative in the NBA

Idiot and his boy can't figure out how we..............well let's just go with can't figure out anything

ThrillKill is hired as a psychic off how accurate this prediction is.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

He figured out the backcourt. And we’ve got an above average C in KAT. Layman appeared to be starting caliber SF before his toe, so he might have that figured out too. Need a starting PF now.

:thumbsup:

You just love to bitch.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:13 am Too many 3's

Idiot and his boy can't figure out how we..............well let's just go with can't figure out anything

:lol: So.....What are you predicting?

And Tank is right, you just like to bitch.

Argue with a stop sign, this one will. :scooter:
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

1. Win a few games down the stretch.
2. Figure out the PF spot.
3. Fix Culvers shot.
4. Back-up PG. (Maybe JMc?)
5. Better be .500 next year or they should all just quit.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

1. team D improvement
2. KAT D improvement (meaning get better but also be consistent)
3. keep JJ for toughness and intangibles
4. draft a PF (hopefully toppin) and a PG
5. improve both culver and okogie's shooting
6. use players at their best position
7. keep and develop our deep bench like nowell and vanderbilt
8. naz needs to work on his body. he's got a standing vert of 26 and it shows.
9. new coach
10. keep jmac as one of the backup PGs
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:34 pm 1. team D improvement
2. KAT D improvement (meaning get better but also be consistent)
3. keep JJ for toughness and intangibles
4. draft a PF (hopefully toppin) and a PG
5. improve both culver and okogie's shooting
6. use players at their best position
7. keep and develop our deep bench like nowell and vanderbilt
8. naz needs to work on his body. he's got a standing vert of 26 and it shows.
9. new coach
10. keep jmac as one of the backup PGs
1....should come with time and chemistry development, we now have a young and hungry team.
2....I don't think we'll ever see consistent defensive effort from KAT, I'd like to be wrong, but he's like most...only interested in offense.
3....JJ is not opting out of 15 million and change, he can't get that anywhere. I'm curious if he sticks around past the deadline or not. He's probably going to play another three years, but at the same time, I don't know if he's officially retired from fighting either, we may end up moving him at the deadline, he could retire after this next season, or easily stick around a few more year. But his mentorship is crucial. We have no legit savvy vets.
4....Toppin is shooting up the board, he could honestly be top three by the time the draft comes. I'm all for taking BPA wherever we pick, PF and PG are preferred, but if we fall to 6 or 8, Toppin will not be there for us. I like other guys in this draft, but I feel like if we bank on Toppin, we're going to be sad.
5.....I mean both guys can't really shoot worse. I don't know how much better they'll get, but they can literally only go up. Both guys should have better years next season overall. Culver hit the rookie wall, while Okogie played like an out of control middle schooler at times to begin the year, he's settling in...but he I think he may end up on the trade block next year simply because he's really bad at shooting. Culver gets more of a leash being having less time under his belt.
6....I think we can finally do that now. We have the personnel to finally peg guys at more of their natural spots.
7....I think Nowell, Vandy, and even Spellman should be kept around in the G league, even if we don't have a use for them right away. Young cheap talent with upside is always a good thing in a farm system..
8....it's the reason he wasn't drafted....his body. If Naz commits to shedding a good 15-20 lbs, he could somehow be more nimble than he already is. But he's in a man's league and he's getting paid, if he doesn't come into camp next year kind of jacked, I'll be incredibly disappointed.
9....A new coach is easy to say, but who? Vanterpool being the AHC makes the only sense, and I don't know how much a philosophy he has compared to Saunders. I'd like some stability going into next season, so if Saunders is out, I'd rather we stay in house and promote. But again, we getting something that much different if we do that?
10....I'm pretty sure Jmac has earned himself a small deal. I still don't like him as a primary backup....but at the same time, these past few weeks he's made me question it. He's so damn small, but assuming we draft a PG, I'm not going to offer him much if I'm Rosas, but I think he gets a 2-3 year offer from us. He's shown he's def a capable 3rd PG.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

1. If we keep our picks I would like to walk away with a PG and PF or SF/PF. I don't love anyone in the draft though.

2. With our roster constraints I would like to use Culver, Spellman and Vanderbilt with a pick or both and target young players from previous drafts.

3. I want to create enough space to have over the $9.75 MLE, we might be like one of Seven teams.

4. Re-sign Beasley and Juancho

5. Player development.
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:26 pm 1. If we keep our picks I would like to walk away with a PG and PF or SF/PF. I don't love anyone in the draft though.

2. With our roster constraints I would like to use Culver, Spellman and Vanderbilt with a pick or both and target young players from previous drafts.

3. I want to create enough space to have over the $9.75 MLE, we might be like one of Seven teams.

4. Re-sign Beasley and Juancho

5. Player development.
2. I say keep Culver if you can but I like #2.

4. Not so high on Juancho. Has his moments. Plays too little whether it be height or athleticism, I don’t know. Plays like a big SF.

Toppin is high risk/reward. If he can be your Sheed impersonator on DEFENSE, that would be amazing. He right now is an inch shorter and five pounds lighter than Sheed was. HUGE if. But damn, he’s got some crazy ability. He’s a pick that pops out at you when you look at this middling draft.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

We will be targeting Booker, I have no question about it. Whether this costs us Malik is questionable. Loving James Johnson and Beasley right now. They really fit the bill for what we need. Hernangomez seems ok, but he needs more time next to KAT so we can see what he really brings.

Nowell, McLaughlin, Reid are all great to have, Martin is probably the only one I don't feel is going to make the cut. he has had a few good games, but he has also been terrible some others.

Culver, jury is still out. Okogie is as Okogie does. Either of these players or even both could be what get us Booker, plus our 1st (which we will pick on behalf of Phx I am guessing as we can't trade the pick straight up.

That leaves the Brooklyn pick, and we will probably fill other spots with cheap undrafteds or cheap vets who see potential with the side.

Cap wise, we will be stretched and committed for a long time, but that is what it takes. 3x28mil+ contracts, maybe 12 for Beasley. PF at $6-12, rest on 1-2mil.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:24 am He figured out the backcourt. And we’ve got an above average C in KAT. Layman appeared to be starting caliber SF before his toe, so he might have that figured out too. Need a starting PF now.

You just love to bitch.
Figured out the back court and C huh? Let me know when good basketball and winning come into account for you. Because you know, that's what sports is about.

Oh and hey Mr. Sports. Why don't you pin point the time that the guy who never played 3 earned the 3 spot by not playing it and then not playing with a little piggy injury for 3 months.

:lol: Do you ever consider reading what you write before you shiit it out?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Mplsfonz wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:57 am
Thrillkill wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:13 am Too many 3's

:lol: So.....What are you predicting?

And Tank is right, you just like to bitch.

Argue with a stop sign, this one will. :scooter:
Read good, ***nope*** no?

Was all of 3 sentences. Maybe have teacher read you one at a time. And keep that helmet on.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Bitch, bitch, bitch.

Let’s just see after one goddamn year how we look.

Fucking chryminy.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

NotRasho wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:33 pm I dont get why people want Toppin, hes not the fit for this team.

Give me Paul Reed ten picks later
:lol:

Holy crap. Toppin is a future star. Reed is a fringe NBA/Gleague player that if he has any brains goes back to school. Obi has improved greatly. Off the charts. Reed is a disappointment who has not. There is literally nothing Reed does close to Toppin.

But 10 picks is the difference? :lol: Dude. You just got drunk and watched one Reed game right? Happens to the best of us. Keep it to 4-5 drinks this weekend and watch both guys.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:27 pm Bitch, bitch, bitch.

Let’s just see after one goddamn year how we look.

Fucking chryminy.
I'm sorry, did you address any of that? Or did you obfuscate and run away?

Yeah, we all saw what you did. Didn't even quote so no one would see how I had no choice to mock you. :lol:

Run away precious. :lol:
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

ROSAS LAID THE WOOD TO GSW!!!

DID HE NOT?

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

people keep saying on forums that obi is rising to top three. i just don't see it - and it's not because i don't love obi. it's just that he's still mocked most everywhere between 7 and 12 (yes, there's a three in there too) - but i don't know who's falling off who is currently in front of him. deni avdija is rising too - fueled on some pretty decent recent play - and his gifts seem more coveted in today's game than the high floor athletic 4 package that toppin is. plus you look who might be picking ahead of us - golden state ain't taking him number one. atlanta's got both collins and hunter. the cavs have a much bigger need at the 3 than at a big with love, thompson and nance jr still on board. and new york is still awash in PFs and badly in need of a point. i don't see us killing it the rest of the year while trying to mesh all our new players - so we'll still be one of the higher picks. i just think toppin will be there for us - if we're smart enough to take him.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

NotRasho wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:11 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:32 pm
NotRasho wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:33 pm I dont get why people want Toppin, hes not the fit for this team.

Holy crap. 1. Toppin is a future star. 2. Reed is a fringe NBA/Gleague player that if he has any brains goes back to school. 3. Obi has improved greatly. Off the charts. Reed is a disappointment who has not. 5. There is literally nothing Reed does close to Toppin.

But 10 picks is the difference? :lol: Dude. You just got drunk and watched one Reed game right? Happens to the best of us. Keep it to 4-5 drinks this weekend and watch both guys.
1. No hes not.
2. Thats what people would have said about Thybulle. They were wrong.
3. Improved at what? Shit we dont need.
4. Reed is averaging 2.8 blocks and 2.0 steals a game, go find the list of players who can say that
5. You are right, hes a much better shot blocker, ball thief, and rebounder. And its not even close.

I dont care if Toppin is Collins light, hes no star and he isnt the kind of player we need. I would rather use our pick on Haliburton and the brooklyn pick on Reed than Toppin + whatever PG with the nets pick.

Im not saying Reed is perfect, but we need somebody at the 4 who compliments Dlo/Beasley/Towns. A guy who is a good offensive player and mediocre at other facets isnt what we need. We dont need Kyle Kuzma, we need AK47.
if we don't do toppin, i'd much rather have achiuwa at 15 than reed.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

thinktank wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:41 pm ROSAS LAID THE WOOD TO GSW!!!

DID HE NOT?

What does a trade have to do with putting those good players on the floor and demanding they play in a way that makes us lose. Or you know, just dodge that again.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:32 pm

Holy crap. 1. Toppin is a future star. 2. Reed is a fringe NBA/Gleague player that if he has any brains goes back to school. 3. Obi has improved greatly. Off the charts. Reed is a disappointment who has not. 5. There is literally nothing Reed does close to Toppin.

1. No hes not.
4. Reed is averaging 2.8 blocks and 2.0 steals a game, go find the list of players who can say that
5. You are right, hes a much better shot blocker, ball thief, and rebounder. And its not even close.

I dont care if Toppin is Collins light, hes no star and he isnt the kind of player we need. I would rather use our pick on Haliburton and the brooklyn pick on Reed than Toppin + whatever PG with the nets pick.

Im not saying Reed is perfect, but we need somebody at the 4 who compliments Dlo/Beasley/Towns. A guy who is a good offensive player and mediocre at other facets isnt what we need. We dont need Kyle Kuzma, we need AK47.
:lol: You would never have heard Thybulle's name if I hadn't raved about him all year. Improved at things we don't need? Have you watched a single game? If you can't shoot 3's and play fast you don't play. And you think Reed is that guy?

Meh, I don 't think you've seen him. Get back to me when you watch not read about him. Both of them
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

naz is a weird player. really nice that we picked him up undrafted and so cheap - but watching him last night, you can see why that happened and how his physical profile limits his effectiveness. reminds me of a really big skilled dude who might whomp on the competition at the Y. 6-9 250 with a 7-3 wingspan - with skills - what's not to like? but despite his size, he's not by any stretch "powerful". he and bismack got tangled up for a rebound last night and i was fearing that biyombo was going to yank naz's arm out of his shoulder socket. and so many times in scrums under the basket for rebounds, he came up short. at the combine last year - out of 58 participants, he finished 50th in standing vertical and 48th in max vert. those worse than him were either bruising physical dudes like grant williams, tacko fall and moises brown - or unathletic guards like ty jerome or zach norvell. if he is to amount to anything REALLY useful, he's going to need to reshape his body and put in loads of hard work off the court. not sure if he's up to it.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

NotRasho wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:55 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:47 pm

1. No hes not.

:lol: You would never have heard Thybulle's name if I hadn't raved about him all year. Improved at things we don't need? Have you watched a single game? If you can't shoot 3's and play fast you don't play. And you think Reed is that guy?

Meh, I don 't think you've seen him. Get back to me when you watch not read about him. Both of them
I have been looking for potential impact defensive players since we drafted Towns. I was the one who wanted us to sign Jordan Bell. I notice guys with outlier defensive numbers, which is why I knew Thybulle and why I know Reed. We need rim protection, defense, and rebounding, Toppin is middle of the road. I dont care about the mandate or whatever the fuck you want to call it, I am just saying what we need to compliment what we have. I wont lower myself to playing within Rosas mandate as obviously I think its flawed.

Ideally our PF would be able to be a secondary initiator but 4th/5th scorer like a AK47 or Draymond. I dont think theres really a guy like that in this draft. Achiuwa might be more of a SF in a good way, he would be in the mix with the Brooklyn pick as well. I guess my intent wasnt to shit on Toppin or pump Reed, I just think we need something more specific at the 4 and theres a few guys who could potentially fit in the teens. I just dont think hes the best stylistic match with Towns.
don't laugh, but don't give up on jarred vanderbilt. this guy came out of HS in 2017 really highly rated - played just one season at kentucky before going 41st to orlando on his potential - has had some injury issues throughout, so really doesn't have much to show yet for either his college or pro career. he's got skinny legs. he doesn't shoot the three. he airballed his one attempt last night that drew the scorn of many - but he should never be stuck in that situation right now. that airball last night was just his THIRD attempted three in both college and the pros.

but if he can put on some good muscle, and get some seasoning and confidence - watch out. his per 40 rebounding numbers at kentucky were 18.5. he handles the ball REALLY well for a 6-9 rebounder - and might be that facilitator PF guy you say you're looking for. one comp i saw on him was lamar odom. there's a LOT of ifs there - but i think it was a really heady longterm pickup for us - and we need to water the plant and take good care of it for a change.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:41 pm

DID HE NOT?

What does a trade have to do with putting those good players on the floor and demanding they play in a way that makes us lose. Or you know, just dodge that again.
Rosas succeeded in getting us a PG.

Chill out now and let’s see how we play when not tanking, because we are tanking this year, and you are losing your mind a la The Shining over it.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:26 pm

The problem with that theory is that they are all young players from previous drafts. HOw do you package them, even with draft picks, and get any upgrade? Culver isn't going anywhere since his trade value is negligible. Maybe there are other teams willing to give up a limited asset for Spellman. I doubt Vanderbilt has any trade value.

Anyways, Minnesota's 2020-21 preview starts right now. How well can we tank and how much NBA draft lottery luck will we have. I usually scoff a bit when I hear about a weak draft, but wow, this is a weak draft. And while I don't think this is a factor not to do the Russell trade, acquiring Russell really took away draft options in the PG class which is perhaps this class' strongest position. Now I think positionally we are going to be drafting into the weakest class in the draft.

I am all aboard the draft Obi train, but holy shit, if he isn't available at our pick what are teh other options? Do you draft a backup PG with a top lottery pick? Do you draft another SG to split some minutes with Beasley, Okogie, and Culver? I think there are some guys like Jaden McDaniel that can play in the NBA, but they are not going to be difference makers. I think you could add Jacob Evans to this list of guys that maybe we can move to another team, but it is doubtful they have any value at all.

I would like a draft of Obi Topin and Devin Vassell, or a PG if Vassell isn't available.

The next question is what to do with Malik Beasley and Juan Hernangomez. Sorry to break it to people but there is little chance that the WOlves bring in a player like Booker. He is essentially a $30 million a year player and they do not have the ability to finance three max contract guys.

I think that the moment the Wolves acquired Beasley they essentially planned on extending his contract. He is going to be more expensive than many figure, at least 4 years and $50 million but they do that extension.

Heranangomez is a different story. I think you offer him a low ball extension, like $16 million over 4 years and if he turns it down you let him test the market and set your matching parameters pretty low. It would be nice to have him in the rotation, but not critical.

If Russell and Towns have the chemistry I think they can have, Beasley, Layman, and Topin would be nice complementary players around them. An extended Hernangomez, Culver, Okogie, would be nice players off the bench. I bring Vassell along slowly into the rotation. I would give Naz Reid another year of development as a bench big.

The next move I would make is to sign a veteran backup PG using part or all of the MLE.

MAin rotation: Russell, Towns, Beasley, Topin, Layman as starters. Hernangomez, Culver, Okogie,James JOhnson (if he is healthy) and FA PG as main rotation players. Naz Reid and Devin Vassell get some regular playing time trying to establish a more regular role.

Spellman, Evans, Vanderbilt, Nowell, McLaughlin all compete with others brought in to get a roster or 2 way.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:41 pm

DID HE NOT?

Dude....don't you have a band gig to play or crushing some Honduran chicks? You don't like Rosas...we get it.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:08 pm that airball last night was just his THIRD attempted three in both college and the pros.

but if he can put on some good muscle, and get some seasoning and confidence - watch out. his per 40 rebounding numbers at kentucky were 18.5. he handles the ball REALLY well for a 6-9 rebounder - and might be that facilitator PF guy you say you're looking for. one comp i saw on him was lamar odom. there's a LOT of ifs there - but i think it was a really heady longterm pickup for us - and we need to water the plant and take good care of it for a change.
I get what you are saying, but shouldn't he have attempted more in practice?
I haven't shot one in five years and I am sure I could at least hit the backboard.

I am not down on Vandy, I just need to see more from him when he gets the PT.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

shooting in game and in practice are two entirely different things. and we see decent three point shooters toss up airballs occasionally. i wasn't at all surprised to see him blow it - it's not his game at all. what did surprise me was that he was the guy we found in the corner to clank it. like i said, in a year of college and in his pro time, that was his freaking THIRD attempt. he'd have done better with the ball in his hands, driving and dishing to someone else for the corner three. that's more his game.

my point though was this: let's not form a negative outlook on vandy because he clanked a three in his first time on the court as a wolf. there's a lot to like about his potential, he's 20, let's work it up.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Mplsfonz wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:33 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:08 pm that airball last night was just his THIRD attempted three in both college and the pros.

I get what you are saying, but shouldn't he have attempted more in practice?
I haven't shot one in five years and I am sure I could at least hit the backboard.

I am not down on Vandy, I just need to see more from him when he gets the PT.
I love the kid, but I don't think he is a fit. I think he is sweetener in a deal for a young rebuilding team who either can waive him or get a look as a cheap expiring. For us he doesn't fit the system and with our constraints on roster spots we will move him one way or the other.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

see i think he may have been a better fit than KBD. we were pretty loaded at SF/PF with similar skill level players - and moving KBD (who somewhat shot the three) helped clear up the pecking order. he's more ready to play right now than vandy, but not on our team. so by moving him, we get a development piece that we'll have a better idea about right about when layman's contract expires. and i think that's what good teams do - they grow players in their system and time it right.

anyway, who knows? i hope they keep him, get him some regular minutes in iowa, put some more muscle on his frame - and especially in his legs - and have him work with a coach popping a million threes. i think a 20 year can improve his shooting.