Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves 2020-21 Preview

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
SO_MONEY

Re: Wolves 2020-21 Preview

Post by SO_MONEY »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:42 pm see i think he may have been a better fit than KBD. we were pretty loaded at SF/PF with similar skill level players - and moving KBD (who somewhat shot the three) helped clear up the pecking order. he's more ready to play right now than vandy, but not on our team. so by moving him, we get a development piece that we'll have a better idea about right about when layman's contract expires. and i think that's what good teams do - they grow players in their system and time it right.

anyway, who knows? i hope they keep him, get him some regular minutes in iowa, put some more muscle on his frame - and especially in his legs - and have him work with a coach popping a million threes. i think a 20 year can improve his shooting.
A 20 year old can improve, yet the problem is multiple fold, 1. he expires in 2021, he is a long-term project that needs to be re-signed (before Layman). 2. he takes up a roster spot. 3. keeping him affects the 2021 outcome. AND I could continue, but he is not likely to stay.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:50 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:26 pm

2. With our roster constraints I would like to use Culver, Spellman and Vanderbilt with a pick or both and target young players from previous drafts.

The problem with that theory is that they are all young players from previous drafts. HOw do you package them, even with draft picks, and get any upgrade? Culver isn't going anywhere since his trade value is negligible. Maybe there are other teams willing to give up a limited asset for Spellman. I doubt Vanderbilt has any trade value.

Anyways, Minnesota's 2020-21 preview starts right now. How well can we tank and how much NBA draft lottery luck will we have. I usually scoff a bit when I hear about a weak draft, but wow, this is a weak draft. And while I don't think this is a factor not to do the Russell trade, acquiring Russell really took away draft options in the PG class which is perhaps this class' strongest position. Now I think positionally we are going to be drafting into the weakest class in the draft.

I am all aboard the draft Obi train, but holy shit, if he isn't available at our pick what are teh other options? Do you draft a backup PG with a top lottery pick? Do you draft another SG to split some minutes with Beasley, Okogie, and Culver? I think there are some guys like Jaden McDaniel that can play in the NBA, but they are not going to be difference makers. I think you could add Jacob Evans to this list of guys that maybe we can move to another team, but it is doubtful they have any value at all.

I would like a draft of Obi Topin and Devin Vassell, or a PG if Vassell isn't available.

The next question is what to do with Malik Beasley and Juan Hernangomez. Sorry to break it to people but there is little chance that the WOlves bring in a player like Booker. He is essentially a $30 million a year player and they do not have the ability to finance three max contract guys.

I think that the moment the Wolves acquired Beasley they essentially planned on extending his contract. He is going to be more expensive than many figure, at least 4 years and $50 million but they do that extension.

Heranangomez is a different story. I think you offer him a low ball extension, like $16 million over 4 years and if he turns it down you let him test the market and set your matching parameters pretty low. It would be nice to have him in the rotation, but not critical.

If Russell and Towns have the chemistry I think they can have, Beasley, Layman, and Topin would be nice complementary players around them. An extended Hernangomez, Culver, Okogie, would be nice players off the bench. I bring Vassell along slowly into the rotation. I would give Naz Reid another year of development as a bench big.

The next move I would make is to sign a veteran backup PG using part or all of the MLE.

MAin rotation: Russell, Towns, Beasley, Topin, Layman as starters. Hernangomez, Culver, Okogie,James JOhnson (if he is healthy) and FA PG as main rotation players. Naz Reid and Devin Vassell get some regular playing time trying to establish a more regular role.

Spellman, Evans, Vanderbilt, Nowell, McLaughlin all compete with others brought in to get a roster or 2 way.
Thanks for (over)sharing.

I don't care who you think we should draft, especially when responding directly to my second point and not my first.

I also think 4 years 50 million is on par for the low end for Beasley, but still realistic given RFA status and lack of teams with space.

Lastly, our pick or picks and some combo of Culver, Spellman and Vanderbilt will open up players to us and by doing so we will both open up space and roster spots. That way we can perhaps have more than the MLE to offer and be like one of Seven teams who can beat such offers.

Thanks.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:25 pm

I don't care who you think we should draft, especially when responding directly to my second point and not my first.

I also think 4 years 50 million is on par for the low end for Beasley, but still realistic given RFA status and lack of teams with space.

Lastly, our pick or picks and some combo of Culver, Spellman and Vanderbilt will open up players to us and by doing so we will both open up space and roster spots. That way we can perhaps have more than the MLE to offer and be like one of Seven teams who can beat such offers.

Thanks.
Whine much?
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:36 pm

Thanks.
Whine much?
No, but I wine much.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:40 pm

Thanks.
Whine much?
No, but I wine much.
I have news for you, the H is well deserved in your case.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:42 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:40 pm

Whine much?
No, but I wine much.
I have news for you, the H is well deserved in your case.
I know I am allergic to "Histamines".
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Mlhouse? Nothing more? Do you understand the first comment set up the second because I knew what you would do before you did it?
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Towns (29)
Johnson (16), Spellman (2)
Layman (3.8), Okogie (2.7)
Culver (6.1), Evans (2)
Russell (29)

salaries in ( )

that's what's on the books right now for next year. Add in the Wolves first and second round picks, the Nets first.

Team options: Vanderbilt (1.7), Nowell (1.5), Reid (1.5)
Cap holds: Hernangomez (4.6), Beasley (3.9), McLaughlin and Martin (1.5)

(Crabbe and Turner are both gone at almost 28 mil each for cap holds)

I would think Nowell and Reid are guys you want to keep around for another year. I'd extend qualifying offers to Hernangomez and Beasley but I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both gone if someone comes in to overpay them. I still think it's in the teams best interest to maintain some cap flexibility going into summer 2021. Culver is due 6.4 mil in 2021-2022, something to keep an eye on if they prefer cap space. Yes, I doubt they decide to not pick up his option but they'll want space.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:42 pm Towns (29)
Culver (6.1), Evans (2)
Russell (29)

salaries in ( )

that's what's on the books right now for next year. Add in the Wolves first and second round picks, the Nets first.

I would think Nowell and Reid are guys you want to keep around for another year. I'd extend qualifying offers to Hernangomez and Beasley but I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both gone if someone comes in to overpay them. I still think it's in the teams best interest to maintain some cap flexibility going into summer 2021. Culver is due 6.4 mil in 2021-2022, something to keep an eye on if they prefer cap space. Yes, I doubt they decide to not pick up his option but they'll want space.
Beasley is not going to be left un-signed, with the market we will get him (probably overpay by virtue of him waiting and allowing options), 2021 space is not the way we played things. I thought it would have been.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:47 pm
Culver (6.1), Evans (2)
Russell (29)

salaries in ( )

Beasley is not going to be left un-signed, with the market we will get him (probably overpay by virtue of him waiting and allowing options), 2021 space is not the way we played things. I thought it would have been.
I think there's a spot where you don't re-sign Beasley. If one of the handful of teams under the cap comes in and stupidly offers 3 years, 60 mil or something crazy I say do not match.

He turned down 3 years 30 from the Nuggets but I could see him getting a 3 for 40ish offer and taking it.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:51 pm
Culver (6.1), Evans (2)
Russell (29)

salaries in ( )

I think there's a spot where you don't re-sign Beasley. If one of the handful of teams under the cap comes in and stupidly offers 3 years, 60 mil or something crazy I say do not match.

He turned down 3 years 30 from the Nuggets but I could see him getting a 3 for 40ish offer and taking it.
No. It would take a crazy offer on a RFA for us to let him walk, the market is not there. There are 5 teams with substantial space. We are good.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:54 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:51 pm

No. It would take a crazy offer on a RFA for us to let him walk, the market is not there. There are 5 teams with substantial space. We are good.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

2020 Free Agents:
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/

Cap space article from Detroit POV
After moving on from Andre Drummond, the Detroit Pistons are set up for cap flexibility for the first time under the Ed Stefanski-led front office.

They are projected to have the third most cap space in the NBA this summer.

According to the projections of Jeff Siegel, of the revered NBA salary cap website earlybirdrights.com, only five of the league's 30 teams will have significant cap space this summer:

Atlanta Hawks: $49.2 million.

New York Knicks: $37.6 million.

Detroit Pistons: $34.9 million.

Miami Heat: $26.5 million.

Charlotte Hornets: $22.8 million.

The number includes the Pistons' first-round draft pick cap hold, projected to be sixth overall by fivethirtyeight.com.

ESPN's Bobby Marks also projects the Pistons with $35 million in space.

The 2020 free agent class is weak, but cap space provides greater flexibility, as the Pistons finally take the rebuilding steps necessary under owner Tom Gores.

The Pistons could use the space for several transactions:

• Sign free agents.

• Trade for a good player without having to match salaries.

• Take on a bad contract bundled with an asset (a pick or a young player) via trade.

• Do nothing to impact their 2021 cap sheet.

The Pistons' main target in free agency could be Toronto Raptors point guard Fred VanVleet, an unrestricted free agent who fits the timeline of the rebuild and played his first two NBA seasons under Pistons coach Dwane Casey.

VanVleet, who turns 26 in late February, is having a career season, collecting 17.7 points, seven assists and two steals, shooting 40% from 3 on seven attempts per game; his jump is a big reason why the Raptors (38-14) are second in the Eastern Conference despite losing Finals MVP Kawhi Leonard in free agency.

But it's tough to see him leaving Toronto, unless the Pistons throw a big number at him.

A lesser name to watch is veteran point guard D.J. Augustin, who could act as a placeholder while the team looks for its point guard of the future. (Augustin was a Piston in 2014-15; he was dealt away as part of the deal that brought Reggie Jackson to Detroit.)

The Pistons won't have much competition this summer if they choose to enter the free-agency market, and are convinced the franchise can attract major free agents, according to reporting from the Free Press' Vince Ellis last summer.

Many teams are protecting 2021 cap space, when an abundance of All-Stars and solid starters could hit the market.

Potential unrestricted free agents in 2021 include Giannis Antetokounmpo, Victor Oladipo and Rudy Gobert, while several others have player options, including Leonard, LeBron James, Paul George, Jrue Holiday and Spencer Dinwiddie.

The Pistons' last big foray into free agency was in 2016 under president of basketball operations/coach Stan Van Gundy and general manager Jeff Bower, when the league's salary cap increased by $24 million. That summer, the Pistons brought in Jon Leuer, Boban Marjanovic and Ish Smith, and re-signed Drummond.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:09 pm 2020 Free Agents:
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/

Cap space article from Detroit POV
After moving on from Andre Drummond, the Detroit Pistons are set up for cap flexibility for the first time under the Ed Stefanski-led front office.

They are projected to have the third most cap space in the NBA this summer.

According to the projections of Jeff Siegel, of the revered NBA salary cap website earlybirdrights.com, only five of the league's 30 teams will have significant cap space this summer:

Atlanta Hawks: $49.2 million.

New York Knicks: $37.6 million.

Detroit Pistons: $34.9 million.

Miami Heat: $26.5 million.

Charlotte Hornets: $22.8 million.

The number includes the Pistons' first-round draft pick cap hold, projected to be sixth overall by fivethirtyeight.com.

ESPN's Bobby Marks also projects the Pistons with $35 million in space.

The 2020 free agent class is weak, but cap space provides greater flexibility, as the Pistons finally take the rebuilding steps necessary under owner Tom Gores.

The Pistons could use the space for several transactions:

• Sign free agents.

• Trade for a good player without having to match salaries.

• Take on a bad contract bundled with an asset (a pick or a young player) via trade.

• Do nothing to impact their 2021 cap sheet.

The Pistons' main target in free agency could be Toronto Raptors point guard Fred VanVleet, an unrestricted free agent who fits the timeline of the rebuild and played his first two NBA seasons under Pistons coach Dwane Casey.

VanVleet, who turns 26 in late February, is having a career season, collecting 17.7 points, seven assists and two steals, shooting 40% from 3 on seven attempts per game; his jump is a big reason why the Raptors (38-14) are second in the Eastern Conference despite losing Finals MVP Kawhi Leonard in free agency.

But it's tough to see him leaving Toronto, unless the Pistons throw a big number at him.

A lesser name to watch is veteran point guard D.J. Augustin, who could act as a placeholder while the team looks for its point guard of the future. (Augustin was a Piston in 2014-15; he was dealt away as part of the deal that brought Reggie Jackson to Detroit.)

The Pistons won't have much competition this summer if they choose to enter the free-agency market, and are convinced the franchise can attract major free agents, according to reporting from the Free Press' Vince Ellis last summer.

Many teams are protecting 2021 cap space, when an abundance of All-Stars and solid starters could hit the market.

Potential unrestricted free agents in 2021 include Giannis Antetokounmpo, Victor Oladipo and Rudy Gobert, while several others have player options, including Leonard, LeBron James, Paul George, Jrue Holiday and Spencer Dinwiddie.

The Pistons' last big foray into free agency was in 2016 under president of basketball operations/coach Stan Van Gundy and general manager Jeff Bower, when the league's salary cap increased by $24 million. That summer, the Pistons brought in Jon Leuer, Boban Marjanovic and Ish Smith, and re-signed Drummond.
Like I said.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm okay with culver. it was a wasted pick honestly - but we've got him and unless someone throws something stupid our way, he's ours to develop - no other way around it. he's obviously smacked into a tough rookie wall - but a lot of rooks do that, and there's no reason to think that it bodes badly for his future. i don't think he'll ever live up to his draft status - but that's happened before and will happen again. if he can carve out a career like a trevor ariza or danny green or caris levert kind of player - and keep his contract reasonable - he can be a valuable part of a wolves rotation.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:03 pm Mlhouse? Nothing more? Do you understand the first comment set up the second because I knew what you would do before you did it?
It doesn't set up shit. You are the one believing we can package Spellman and Vanderbilt for some young player.... good god.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:54 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:03 pm Mlhouse? Nothing more? Do you understand the first comment set up the second because I knew what you would do before you did it?
It doesn't set up shit. You are the one believing we can package Spellman and Vanderbilt for some young player.... good god.
LOL. Whatever you do don't be honest and ignore the fact a pick would also be outgoing in such package.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:07 pm
LOL. Whatever you do don't be honest and ignore the fact a pick would also be outgoing in such package.
if i'm understanding the tussle here, i think i'm with mlhouse on this. you're not going to get anyone back who isn't also some young, cheap developmental guy. why not just develop the guy we have - see what happens - and go from there? instead of playing musical chairs with developmental pieces.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:18 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:07 pm

if i'm understanding the tussle here, i think i'm with mlhouse on this. you're not going to get anyone back who isn't also some young, cheap developmental guy. why not just develop the guy we have - see what happens - and go from there? instead of playing musical chairs with developmental pieces.
Because we need roster spots and this way you clear one or more and conceivably can swap for a player you might like better. That is why. If you can't get a player you like better you don't do it, but don't be surprised if it happens with one or both the picks. Hell, Glen could sell a pick.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

if i'm following this right - we won't have any draft picks in 2021. is that correct? if so, this is how i'd play it this coming season and the one following.

i like culver (in theory) and think he still might turn to be a valuable rotational guy, but could part with him if it meant getting something that better fit the team. ditto for okogie. not sure honestly which one of them i'd rather keep, but right now it feels like both are best suited backing up beasley. so there's a logjam.

if we could package either culver or okogie and our 16th pick to move up into the lottery somewhere (11 or 12?), i'd do it. with our first pick, i'd take obi toppin. with that other later lottery pick, i'd select the best of the remaining PGs - haliburton, mannion, hayes, hampton - hopefully, haliburton. nbc sports latest mock has ALL four of those guys still available at the 11th pick. i don't necessarily buy that, but i think it's entirely possible two, maybe three of them will still be there around 11th or 12th pick. and just maybe, culver (or okogie) plus our 16th pick could get us all the way to 10th.

with our second rounder, i'd confound the experts and take iowa C luka garza. i think he's got the makings of a very valuable low cost backup big for years to come. his work ethic and attitude are off the charts.

drop turner, crabbe, and martin. send evans to the G.

if spellman wants to be here, keep him as a bench PF/C. if he doesn't, see if we can get a 2nd rounder for him. it's nice that he can stretch the floor, but he's not critical seeing as we have three SFs who can also give minutes at the 4. We want players who want to be here. If you dont have that mindset, see ya!

sign beasley to a deal that keeps him here and happy - probably 4 years $50M range. resign juancho, mclaughlin and vandy to cheap one or two year deals. the market isn't going to be fighting over them, but they could be valuable short term (and maybe longer term) pieces for us.

DLo - late lottery pick - mclaughlin
beasley - okogie or culver - nowell
layman - juancho - vandy
toppin - JJ - spellman?
KAT - naz - garza

btw, that's 13 players out of 15 that can potentially hit the three with reasonable to great efficiency.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:37 pm i'm okay with culver. it was a wasted pick honestly - but we've got him and unless someone throws something stupid our way, he's ours to develop - no other way around it. he's obviously smacked into a tough rookie wall - but a lot of rooks do that, and there's no reason to think that it bodes badly for his future. i don't think he'll ever live up to his draft status - but that's happened before and will happen again. if he can carve out a career like a trevor ariza or danny green or caris levert kind of player - and keep his contract reasonable - he can be a valuable part of a wolves rotation.
Levert looks nice. Looks like him and DLo are buddies.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Looks like our next coach was just sent packing by Brooklyn...
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:11 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:37 pm i'm okay with culver. it was a wasted pick honestly - but we've got him and unless someone throws something stupid our way, he's ours to develop - no other way around it. he's obviously smacked into a tough rookie wall - but a lot of rooks do that, and there's no reason to think that it bodes badly for his future. i don't think he'll ever live up to his draft status - but that's happened before and will happen again. if he can carve out a career like a trevor ariza or danny green or caris levert kind of player - and keep his contract reasonable - he can be a valuable part of a wolves rotation.
Levert looks nice. Looks like him and DLo are buddies.
just signed a 3yr/$52M contract extension though. he's no longer a bargain player - making a bit more than $17M a year. plus he's playing well for them - so no way would they part with him for, say, culver and getting their 16th pick back from us. he'd fit great though - he's got better point guard skills than culver - so would give us insurance at that position, but mostly could be our starting SF. hitting around 38% from three this year - very good playmaker as well.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Draft OBi

Draft 3 and D wing with Nets pick like Okoro, Vassell, Bey.

Take PG or combo in 2nd like Haggans, Dosunmu, Queen, Trey,

Sign Beasley for whatever it takes. Sign Hermanmunster to low deal and trade Layman or let Herman walk if he wants too much.

That is all that is required for now. Well that and figuring out you can have a philosophy to build off but when it is utterly one note and inflexible you will fail.
Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

I suspect this team will never view Layman as a starter. Hermangomez long term or is this just a tryout to see what he's got? Okogie won't be the long term answer, another tryout. Culver is in no way ready for 35 minutes a night. Shit, I'd roll out JJ at PF but age.

All we know for sure:
Russell
Beasley
????
????
Towns
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Moses Scurry wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:12 am I suspect this team will never view Layman as a starter. Hermangomez long term or is this just a tryout to see what he's got? Okogie won't be the long term answer, another tryout. Culver is in no way ready for 35 minutes a night. Shit, I'd roll out JJ at PF but age.

All we know for sure:
Russell
Beasley
????
????
Towns
Well Juancho in a starting role is giving you 13 and 7 while shooting quite amazing from deep. While Johnson eats up the rest of the minutes, he's giving you 12 and 5 while emphasizing defense. Between the two, that's enough juice at the PF as is. Can that be upgraded, absolutely, but they are manning the spot pretty well considering both are used as backups wherever they've been before...but they both serve a purpose on this team. The SF spot is in a similar spot, Layman has more offensive gifts while Okogie is clearly the defensive stud. Can this be upgraded, yep...same as the four spot, but like the four spot, it's still enough. If we stay put with our picks, Okongwo, Nesmith, and Winston. If we can move the Brooklyn pick and one of our kids to have a chance to get Grant outright, that would be my ideal scenario.....but as someone had mentioned, that would have to be arranged well later into the summer.

Dream lineup
Dlo/Jmac/Winston
Beas/Culver
Grant/Layman
Okongwu/Juancho/JJ
KAT/Reid

IMO....JJ and one of the kids are going to be used as a package, prob with that Brooklyn pick. But even if we stand pat and draft the guys I like, I'd be happy going into next year as is.

Dlo/Jmac/Winston
Beas/Culver
Layman/Okogie
Okongwu/Juancho/JJ
KAT/Naz/JJ
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm taking a break from Covid-19 this morning and working on something completely frivolous. and i would encourage incorporating some frivolity in your own routines as well.

i'm of the mindset that there are sooooo many new players on our squad this year, that we don't need to add more in FA this offseason. or perhaps even it would be detrimental to do so. i don't see any clear cut FA options out there - ones we could actually get - that would move the needle any more than what we can currently work with already on the team. we haven't had much time at all - if any - to see how all these new pieces work together with KAT and Dlo - and i'll include beasley. so, apart from using our three picks this year, let's stand pat with the rest.

Point Guard: Dlo, of course. pretty impressed that the starting backcourt at the start of this year was teague and wiggins. and now it's Dlo and beasley. JMac has earned another contract. I think it'll be affordable in a 2 to 3 year way - and i think he will take it, knowing that he'll be getting most of the backup minutes. it's a good situation for a guy who didn't have a place in the league at the start of the season. he's been greatly overachieving considering what we all thought he was. still think we need a third - and yes, i'd go for it with our second first round pick. france's theo maledon looks perfect to me in this scenario. he's young, he's got good size, he's slipped a bit in standing this year so i do think he'll be there at 16, plus he's a combo - so gives us flexibility there. best of all, with dlo and jmac - we don't need a midfirst pick to save the team. hey! player development with a decent prospect! what a concept!

Shooting Guard: give beas the contract. i like his fire, love his shot, and he's filled out other areas of the stat sheet on occasion that i didn't think were part of his game. i think 3yrs/$50ishM should get it done. he'll be a great third scoring option on the team. back him up with okogie and nowell. there's a lot to like about josh's game - but obvious downsides as well. i'd like to see him move to this spot especially to spell beas if he's not getting it done defensively. nowell is on the bubble - and that's why maledon is a wise pick. such a good three point shooter in the G (44%), and such an abysmal one up with the big guys (11.5%). his sticking in the league will depend on that second number looking more like the first.

Small Forward: unlike most here, i think we're FINE at this spot. move culver to the starting 3. he's got a lot of time now to hit the weights and protein shakes to add 10 pounds to his frame. the other downsides 3PT and FT% also have to move to the positive. he finished the season at 30% from three BUT in his last ten games, went 14 of 30 (47%). that's a fabulous sign of better things to come. as for the FT%, it can hardly get worse (46%). it's got to improve as the nba game starts to feel more normal to him. i'm expecting a 20 point improvement at least. and as for the confidence thing, i think it's coming. there have been a couple games this year where he looked like one of the better wolves on the court. his steady, swiss army knife game will mesh well with the starters and he won't be asked to do things he's not comfortable with yet. play good D, move the ball, make plays - he'll be valuable in a 12/5/4 with a steal, a block and good D kind of way. jake layman should be the backup and get legit minutes - he's got two years left on a cheap contract and is a solid bench/sometime starter option. as the third SF, i want jarred vanderbilt to be that. he's got more to his game than just rebounding - he plays very good D including the perimeter, plays with a high motor, sees the court well, and has decent ball skills. as a developmental guy, i really think we might have something with him - possible starter someday. he just turns 21 in a couple of weeks. loads of upside.

Power Forward: Draft Obi Toppin. it's tempting to see if we could snag someone like Christian Wood in free agency, but there's no guarantee to that. Drafting where we are - Toppin will be there and should be the choice. Start him. Juancho has earned another deal (13 and 7 with 42% from three and great energy in his time here). i think we can give him something reasonable that he'll accept - and like JMac, he will like the idea of regular PT - and he's always been a great teammate, so that's a plus as well. JJ sticks around for his final year as another backup PF. if Toppin falls flat, having both JH and JJ onboard is great insurance. he's performed way better here than many of us expected - he'll be around as a tough vet presence and dangled as an expiring as well during the year.

Center: KAT, of course. there's no reason why - with all these changes and where he's at in his career - this next year can't be the year that he becomes a legit, mature team leader - and with that commits to consistent better D. i'm not totally expecting it - but if he really wants to be elite, that's what he's got to show. Naz has been a nice surprise - plenty of holes in his game and plenty of work to be done on both the boards and with his body - but for a guy we picked up as a UDFA, kudos to the front office. great find. we do need someone else as well - and to that i'd like to use our second rounder to select iowa's luka garza. he's not mocked anywhere, but i totally see this guy having an aron baynes-like career - and that would be fantastic from a second round pick. he's tough, he works hard, he's got a million low post moves, and he shot 39% from three this year at greater volume than obi toppin. he's not mocked anywhere - but would serve a great purpose on the team, so i wouldn't fart around with that 3rd pick. just take him and be happy.

DLo - JMac - Maledon
Beasley - Okogie - Nowell
Culver - Layman - Vanderbilt
Toppin - Juancho - JJ
KAT - Naz - Garza

it's a weird place this roster is in. i'm saying stand pat, just use our picks - and that still means that 13 of the 15 players on this roster weren't here for the 2018-19 season.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Since we barely have anything to talk about, here is our "big 3" hanging out.

ALso, paige 3
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”