Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Malik "I'm a Bad Man" Beasley

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
shuttlesworth

Re: Malik "I'm a Bad Man" Beasley

Post by shuttlesworth »

Hypothetically, would you do the following trade?

Wolves send to PHX: Malik Beasley (sign and trade at $15m/yr), Jarrett Culver, MN 2020 1st, Brooklyn 2020 1st
Wolves get from PHX: Devin Booker

(To be clear I have no idea if this would work under the league's sign-and-trade rules - just interested to hear if people would do this trade assuming it was feasible.)
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

shuttlesworth wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:16 am Hypothetically, would you do the following trade?

Wolves send to PHX: Malik Beasley (sign and trade at $15m/yr), Jarrett Culver, MN 2020 1st, Brooklyn 2020 1st

(To be clear I have no idea if this would work under the league's sign-and-trade rules - just interested to hear if people would do this trade assuming it was feasible.)
Yes, I would.
qrocks

Post by qrocks »

shuttlesworth wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:16 am Hypothetically, would you do the following trade?

The Wolves spent about that level of talent to acquire Butler. The Wolves didn't acquire that much talent when Thibs traded Butler. Butler is better than Booker so overall I say "no" to the proposal.

At this point, I'm ready to roll with:

DLO
Beasley
Booker
PF
KAT

If Booker wants to get moved, then the Wolves two 2020 first rounders should be enough of a foundation of a trade that should work.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i don't want booker - no matter how cool it might look on paper and occasionally on the court.

having three players (all who play little to no D) use up $90M of our yearly capspace for the foreseeable future is IMO nuts.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
shuttlesworth

Post by shuttlesworth »

I think the idea with getting Booker is that it would light a fire under Towns and (hopefully) D'Lo. It's no secret that the three of Towns, D'Lo and Booker have always conspired to play together. If the Wolves acquired Booker, that would signal a long-term commitment to keeping Towns happy. It would also communicate to Towns that any failure of the team from here on out is not on the Wolves organization - which has given Towns everything he has asked for - but on Towns himself, and particularly Towns's defense. Basically, it would take away all excuses Towns could give as to why the team didn't have the right personnel to succeed, and would ideally motivate him to play defense and make the team better. It would hopefully have a similar effect on D'Lo and Booker.

But that's probably wishful thinking.
twolves31

Post by twolves31 »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:15 pm i don't want booker - no matter how cool it might look on paper and occasionally on the court.

having three players (all who play little to no D) use up $90M of our yearly capspace for the foreseeable future is IMO nuts.
I hear ya, but at this point the bar is so low after years of losing, that if the three of them could make the playoffs close to every year playing together I would take it at this point.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

I don’t see a reason to pay twice as much for Booker when we’ll likely get similar production out of Beasley.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

No.

It's not the assets as much as I don't want Bookers huge contract.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Seenin

Post by Seenin »

At this point im all in on Beasley. He is hungry and is active on D getting boards. Booker is sweet but Beasley is prolly the better fit.
Steam:Seenin
Xbox:Seenin
Discord:SirFucksworth
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:41 pm

No.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work under the CBA....but even if it did, why am I trading three assets when I can sign the one guy who literally almost gives you the exact same production as Booker at what would be half the cost? This idea is something the Knicks would do.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

digitalwolf wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:24 pm

No.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work under the CBA....but even if it did, why am I trading three assets when I can sign the one guy who literally almost gives you the exact same production as Booker at what would be half the cost? This idea is something the Knicks would do.
This. Booker is a turd. DLO might not be a needle mover either when all said and done but it was a good trade to get Wiggins out of here.

Don't blow your load on Booker.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:33 pm

No.

This. Booker is a turd. DLO might not be a needle mover either when all said and done but it was a good trade to get Wiggins out of here.

It just doesn't make sense, on literally any level. I've said numerous times, adding a guy like Collins would make more sense, as it fills a need....so blowing assets on a need is okay. A mild upgrade for picks and players that adds a whole 6 points a game....fuck that noise.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

No.

Beasley will get about 20 I imagine so essentially Teague's money. Take that over Booker and what he makes any day. Also would never ever triple down on the appease Towns with his friends crap.

Gotta love a bad ass like Beasley though. Thought he was an idiot for turning down that deal last year. Chanced to get 33 mil in the bank and still be young and unrestricted in 3 years? On a team where he wasn't even getting big minutes? That's ballsy. Got pretty lucky though as they sort of phased him back knowing he'd be gone. Hell of a bet by him. And I have no doubt he will not be one of those I got mine so I'm good now kinds. He will keep playing his ass off for that next deal. Permanent chip on his shoulder.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:38 pm

No.

Beasley will get about 20 I imagine so essentially Teague's money. Take that over Booker and what he makes any day. Also would never ever triple down on the appease Towns with his friends crap.

Gotta love a bad ass like Beasley though. Thought he was an idiot for turning down that deal last year. Chanced to get 33 mil in the bank and still be young and unrestricted in 3 years? On a team where he wasn't even getting big minutes? That's ballsy. Got pretty lucky though as they sort of phased him back knowing he'd be gone. Hell of a bet by him. And I have no doubt he will not be one of those I got mine so I'm good now kinds. He will keep playing his ass off for that next deal. Permanent chip on his shoulder.
I think we'll prey on his lack of number before us and get him for less than 20, but we both agree, the mild upgrade, whether he's making 12, 15, or 20....still doesn't add up value wise. And you're right, we did need a scoring PG, but we did appease KAT in doing so....Dlo is his alleged best friend, a third wheel bestie for the whole kitchen sink is something Mac would do with KG. I know you hate Rosas, but he's not blowing our entire load just to make KAT happy. I'd argue he'd move KAT before he'd unload everything to get Booker.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:33 pm

No.

Russell is Wigs. Just a better positional fit for us with the added benefit of appeasing Towns. Could work out well if Russell continues to grow and he and Towns buy into team, and playing D. Could look like crap if he's strictly a scorer. Then maybe Wigs takes a step toward being more well rounded and they get a high pick from us.

But the last thing I want to add to what we have is another young weak willed scorer who plays one end of the floor.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:15 pm i don't want booker - no matter how cool it might look on paper and occasionally on the court.

This is exactly how I feel. I think offensively we potentially have a very good thing going once Towns comes back but we really need to do everything we can to shore up our defense and Booker only hurts that.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

zeitgeist wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:59 pm

This is exactly how I feel. I think offensively we potentially have a very good thing going once Towns comes back but we really need to do everything we can to shore up our defense and Booker only hurts that.
Those 3 plus Pippen and Rodman don't win 50 games. One nice thing to look forward to is when the silly mandate proves it's obvious flaws it will either be Rosas letting Saunders tweak it or he will get scapegoated and fired. And that next coach will know that he can tweak it because Rosas would then be the one to go.

I get the philosophy and it looks a little better now that we have Russell and Beasley taking those 3's. Taking 40 3's a night with bad shooters was just crushing me. But an absolute adherence to a philosophy with no actual plan is just ridiculous.

We are not far from being there. We play too fast. There is nothing I hate more than the well, we aren't turning it over a ton more crap. Yeah it's hard to turn it over when you take one dribble over half court and jack a shot. Don't know if we have never watched a basketball game on TV but every single ex coach doing those games says a bad shot is a turnover 10 times a game. Because it's true. We take way too many bad shots. And it kills our offensive rebounding. And of course our defensive rebounding sucks because we refuse to play size and continue to stick to our switch everything defense. Just watch once what teams do with that. They take their best guy and rub our good defender off of him and they take one of our worst and put him in that screen action. Because they are well coached. Never had a decent coach who didn't always say be hard to guard. We are not hard to guard because we advertise what we want to do. Every team is hard for us to guard because they know how we are going to guard them. So many times it seems everyone (Wolves announcers especially) Think that going 4-5 from 3 fixed our offense or the other team going cold for a stretch shows our D improvement. Hot and cold does not fix anything.

We need to make the proper tiny tweaks that are so obvious. Whether that causes growing pains for a month or not. Always say the difference between great and sucks is 1. It's 1! One more steal, one more block, one less TO, one more trip to the line, one less bad shot. Hot and cold is not coachable. What is? Possessions. That's what good coaches coach for. That's taking care of the ball, rebounding, playing D, and taking shots you can make. Those are all the things we don't give a shit about in the name of hitting 3's because they are more efficient. :lol: I mean, how can they not see the difference between shooting efficiently and playing efficiently? It's not the same thing. And hitting a couple more 3's does not come close to mitigating the 8 other things that we do poorly.

We have a few holes on the roster. We have a few tweaks to the lineup and the syle of play to make. For once for god's sake just make them.
KATMANDUDE

Post by KATMANDUDE »

No.

I'm probably wrong, but I thought you couldn't include additional players in a Sign & Trade deal. Anyone know for sure?
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

KATMANDUDE wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:11 pm

No.

I'm probably wrong, but I thought you couldn't include additional players in a Sign & Trade deal. Anyone know for sure?
This is how I remember it. I am almost positive this is correct.