Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves are still tanking

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
bubu dubu.

Wolves are still tanking

Post by bubu dubu. »

Thats why they didn't give up this years pick, and gave up next years instead.

They will try to get the fans back for a few games by playing DLO and KAT together...but expect some DNP's from both of them down the stretch.

They aren't trying to win right now. They are hoping for as high of a pick in a shitty draft.
winforlose

Re: Wolves are still tanking

Post by winforlose »

1. GSW flat out refused one or both of this years picks. They only wanted 2021 because of the deeper draft. They also said through Waj and other sports writers that they (GSW) expect their own pick to get them what little quality exists in this draft.

2. Trying to tank is irrelevant. Our record is so bad, our schedule is so tough, and our chemistry is so non existent, we don’t need to try.

3. You don’t need to DNP either. In fact, it is counter productive to do so. Your goal is to develop 5 players and evaluate the rest. You want to get the best growth out of Beasley. He is your major trade asset to get Booker or the guy you hope becomes a legit third star next year. Beyond Beasley, you want to develop Reid, Okogie, Culver, and Hernangomez in that order. Hernangomez is on a contract year, so look for him to get less minutes. Enough to keep him happy, but not enough to make other teams want to overpay him. Everyone else Nowell, Spellman, Evans, Layman, etc... is a crapshoot. You want them to improve and develop with the team, but you don’t quite know what you have with them moving forward. Layman will be out of shape when he returns and it will be a while before he is ready to resume serious minutes.

As I said above, we don’t need to try to lose, the losing will take care of itself. We need to get the new guys familiar with each other and lay the groundwork for next season. With no first round pick, there is no incentive to underperform in 2021.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

winforlose wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:45 am 1. GSW flat out refused one or both of this years picks. They only wanted 2021 because of the deeper draft. They also said through Waj and other sports writers that they (GSW) expect their own pick to get them what little quality exists in this draft.

2. Trying to tank is irrelevant. Our record is so bad, our schedule is so tough, and our chemistry is so non existent, we don’t need to try.

3. You don’t need to DNP either. In fact, it is counter productive to do so. Your goal is to develop 5 players and evaluate the rest. You want to get the best growth out of Beasley. He is your major trade asset to get Booker or the guy you hope becomes a legit third star next year. Beyond Beasley, you want to develop Reid, Okogie, Culver, and Hernangomez in that order. Hernangomez is on a contract year, so look for him to get less minutes. Enough to keep him happy, but not enough to make other teams want to overpay him. Everyone else Nowell, Spellman, Evans, Layman, etc... is a crapshoot. You want them to improve and develop with the team, but you don’t quite know what you have with them moving forward. Layman will be out of shape when he returns and it will be a while before he is ready to resume serious minutes.

As I said above, we don’t need to try to lose, the losing will take care of itself. We need to get the new guys familiar with each other and lay the groundwork for next season. With no first round pick, there is no incentive to underperform in 2021.
This team will completely fuck up everything good it has done by dumping everything for Booker.

He's a chucker that's garbage on defense. We have enough of that.

3 players with 100+ mill contracts is a disaster.

Take DLO, KAT, Beasley and your picks with a nice amount of cap space. They have no picks in 2021 either.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

winforlose wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:45 am 1. GSW flat out refused one or both of this years picks. They only wanted 2021 because of the deeper draft. They also said through Waj and other sports writers that they (GSW) expect their own pick to get them what little quality exists in this draft.

Whatever you think your strategy is, this team will look to tank. Thats why they surrendered next years pick, as opposed to this years.

They arent thinking about next years deep draft, they are thinking about this years weak ass draft (thats why they held onto this pick as opposed to next years pic(they are tanking)). They want top 3 (Edwards/Wiseman/Ball), and not necessarily to keep them, but to move them.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:51 am

This team will completely fuck up everything good it has done by dumping everything for Booker.

Take DLO, KAT, Beasley and your picks with a nice amount of cap space. They have no picks in 2021 either.
Assume you are correct. Honestly, it’s not worth the argument because there are too many moving pieces. Then the question becomes what is Beasley? I am honestly asking as I know next to nothing about him. People tell me he is an excellent shooter with subpar defense and questionable hustle for someone with his athletics. What will Beasley go for as a RFA. I think if he shows promise 15 million. This is a shooting league and he already turned down 10. Your argument is that you should save the difference as well as the assets required to get Booker, and roll with the roster you have. Let’s assume this happens. Everything I said above is still true. We need to know what we have in the guys who are question marks. We need to develop the guys who are going to be role players alongside the emerging 3rd star. We need chemistry as a unit and commitment to the system. Assume you have a new head coach next season as well. The tanking will take care of itself.
Last edited by winforlose on Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:04 am

Whatever you think your strategy is, this team will look to tank. Thats why they surrendered next years pick, as opposed to this years.

They arent thinking about next years deep draft, they are thinking about this years weak ass draft (thats why they held onto this pick as opposed to next years pic(they are tanking)). They want top 3 (Edwards/Wiseman/Ball), and not necessarily to keep them, but to move them.
We didn’t get a choice. That is the part you don’t get. We literally offered both 2020 picks and GSW flat out refused. We wanted Dlo and to dump Wiggins. The asking price was 2021 unrestricted pick. We countered with top 3 protected and GSW caved. This is literally all over the sport news. As for what we hope to do this season, has any team ever said “hey we cannot make the playoffs no matter what, but let’s win as many games as possible to ensure we get a bad draft pick?” Of course we want a good pick. As I said though, the losing will take care of itself. They don’t want to or need to bench their two stars, they need to get them playing with Beasley, and the other next year starters and rotation players.

Also, GSW will only move the player they get with their pick if an advantageous deal is available. With four max players their room to move is limited. Especially with their eyes set on the 2021 FA class. A lot of people think they will package their pick with Wiggins to pursue a better player. However, they are going to find, that Wiggins contract is harder to move than they think.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

winforlose wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:08 am

Assume you are correct. Honestly, it’s not worth the argument because there are too many moving pieces. Then the question becomes what is Beasley? I am honestly asking as I know next to nothing about him. People tell me he is an excellent shooter with subpar defense and questionable hustle for someone with his athletics. What will Beasley go for as a RFA. I think if he shows promise 15 million. This is a shooting league and he already turned down 10. Your argument is that you should save the difference as well as the assets required to get Booker, and roll with the roster you have. Let’s assume this happens. Everything I said above is still true. We need to know what we have in the guys who are question marks. We need to develop the guys who are going to be role players alongside the emerging 3rd star. We need chemistry as a unit and commitment to the system. Assume you have a new head coach next season as well. The tanking will take care of itself.
Well we will know by this Summer because we won't have the assets to get Booker after this draft. This is likely the best pick they will have in awhile and they don't have picks next year.

There is nobody on the Wolves actual squad that Suns will value other than DLO and Kat and are picks.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:34 am
winforlose wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:08 am

Well we will know by this Summer because we won't have the assets to get Booker after this draft. This is likely the best pick they will have in awhile and they don't have picks next year.

There is nobody on the Wolves actual squad that Suns will value other than DLO and Kat and are picks.
Depends on Beasley. If Beasley does well with the run we give him that becomes a possible hook. Also you assume we need to trade before the draft. With any luck, our pick plays well and they want him some time next season. Culver and/or Okogie also are decent looking pieces. Layman and Hernangomez will both be cheap, and efficient scorers. My point is, we have talent to play with. Your point, which is well taken, is that Booker is over rated. I have been reading and his defense is better this season, but you are right that he is not a good defender. The Wolves need a third star to compete for a title. If that is Beasley, great. If not, we need to go get one next season. Mark my words, Booker will want out of Phoenix and onto the Wolves by the trade deadline next season. KAT and Dlo will be all over him about this. Also, you may not know this, but Dlo and Booker are much closer than people realize. I read a Booker article where he is quoted as saying things like “Dlo is my brother. We talk every day. He is one of my favorite humans. I love him like family.” Given this, and the fact that we know he and KAT are best friends, the leverage is there. If another star is available instead and wants to be here, great. Either way, this thread is about this season. As I said multiple times now, the losing will take care of itself. We need to use this time appropriately and get the most out of it for next season. Player development, system development, roster development, team chemistry.
witljon

Post by witljon »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:14 am Thats why they didn't give up this years pick, and gave up next years instead.

They will try to get the fans back for a few games by playing DLO and KAT together...but expect some DNP's from both of them down the stretch.

They aren't trying to win right now. They are hoping for as high of a pick in a shitty draft.
So, no title this year?
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

winforlose wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:16 am We didn’t get a choice. That is the part you don’t get. We literally offered both 2020 picks and GSW flat out refused. We wanted Dlo and to dump Wiggins. The asking price was 2021 unrestricted pick. We countered with top 3 protected and GSW caved. This is literally all over the sport news.
Minnesota offered a protected 2020 first. Non-starter for the Warriors. Maybe the Brooklyn pick was incentive for them to take the protected 2020 pick...
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:14 am Thats why they didn't give up this years pick, and gave up next years instead.

Correct.

I expect some spirited play in these first few games to quell the fan unrest, but then it will be back to tanking (if we haven’t been losing already).

And for good reason. This is a rare chance to grab a top rookie.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

witljon wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:38 am

So, no title this year?
Summed it up well
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

DLO sitting already.

I thought they'd play him his first home game just to get the fans back on board.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Good. Get OBI!
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Good. Get OBI!
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Speculation that KAT might be done for the season. Total tank move
T_J

Post by T_J »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:12 pm DLO sitting already.

I thought they'd play him his first home game just to get the fans back on board.
No shit? Beasley gonna get 30 shots tonight.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

T_J wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:52 am

You're quoting a month old post.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

I assume everyone thinks tanking is the right move?
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:21 am Speculation that KAT might be done for the season. Total tank move
Not really. His hand is all wrapped up and he can't even use it to shoot.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:32 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:21 am Speculation that KAT might be done for the season. Total tank move
My speculation is he'd probably play if they were competing for a playoff spot...maybe miss a couple games.

Tank move would be to shut him down for the year.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:44 am
My speculation is he'd probably play if they were competing for a playoff spot...maybe miss a couple games.

This. I was reported he was playing with this for a month for Pete's sake.
T_J

Post by T_J »

bubu dubu. wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:12 am
T_J wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:52 am

You're quoting a month old post.
Fuck.

:humper:
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:09 pm

Confirmed fractured wrist.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:20 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:09 pm

Confirmed fractured wrist.
So? As as I posted he had played with it for a month, likely a stress fracture. Big deal? I played on ankles like that. A hand? Way more doable. It is a shut down.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

I still get a chuckle from the folks who think this was all a planned tank.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:14 pm I still get a chuckle from the folks who think this was all a planned tank.
Was or is?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:17 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:14 pm I still get a chuckle from the folks who think this was all a planned tank.
Was or is?
Was.

They probably are not putting their best efforts in now and they would be complete idiots to do so. The season is over, don't mess up the pick.

They were not trying to suck up until this point. They were just horrible. There is a reason they traded almost everyone.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:25 pm
Was or is?
Was.

They probably are not putting their best efforts in now and they would be complete idiots to do so. The season is over, don't mess up the pick.

They were not trying to suck up until this point. They were just horrible. There is a reason they traded almost everyone.
I agree, mostly at least to start, I am not sure when giving up started, but it happened a while ago, KAT is just pushing it to ensure things.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:25 pm
Was or is?
Was.

I don't think many people thought tanking was the plan all along. Somewhere during that giant losing streak is when the tank was on.