Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

strike while the iron's hot - trade KAT

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

Re: strike while the iron's hot - trade KAT

Post by somuchyummy »

yeah, probably. i'm just speculating on possibilities for my troubled team, not anyone else.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

SHAFA wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:19 pm But if what you’re lacking is post presence and defense, and there are questions about Towns’ work ethic, and you need to match salary, wouldn’t someone like Drummond, who’s apparently being shopped, be a better fit?
And cheaper to acquire? Maybe you could keep this elite two-way young superstar in Tatum?
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:07 pm idk. maybe because you'd have to match a $23M salary (smart, theis, langford, williams and maybe a pick) for a guy who's 30+ years old and he might bolt in FA this summer? and karl's on contract thru 23-24?
Then get him in FA this summer.

- Carl Jung
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:23 pm
SHAFA wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:19 pm But if what you’re lacking is post presence and defense, and there are questions about Towns’ work ethic, and you need to match salary, wouldn’t someone like Drummond, who’s apparently being shopped, be a better fit?
And cheaper to acquire? Maybe you could keep this elite two-way young superstar in Tatum?
it's about the same money per year. kat's on a 5 year deal though and drummond on the hook for this year and the next. in either case you'd have to match around $27-28M in salary.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:24 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:07 pm idk. maybe because you'd have to match a $23M salary (smart, theis, langford, williams and maybe a pick) for a guy who's 30+ years old and he might bolt in FA this summer? and karl's on contract thru 23-24?
if it's that easy to pick and choose who you want in free agency, then let's just sign FVV this summer, okay? and while we're at it, pick up marcus morris for our PF spot. see how easy that is? there, done.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:25 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:23 pm
it's about the same money per year. kat's on a 5 year deal though and drummond on the hook for this year and the next. in either case you'd have to match around $27-28M in salary.
I mean, you'd have to give up less talent to acquire him. That kind of "cheap."

- Carl Jung
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:26 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:24 pm
if it's that easy to pick and choose who you want in free agency, then let's just sign FVV this summer, okay? and while we're at it, pick up marcus morris for our PF spot. see how easy that is? there, done.
I think the Celtics have a little more FA pull than the Timberwolves do. And besides, who wouldn't jump at the opportunity to play alongside a young, emotionally-stable, two-way stud like Jayson Tatum, right? Use him as a recruitment tool. "If you can't play with LeBron, come play with Jayson!"

- Carl Jung
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

trades are cut and dried. free agency, you can never be sure.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:50 pm trades are cut and dried. free agency, you can never be sure.
Sure. But the point is, if you need a Ibaka like-presence, you don't need to make a big trade and sacrifice a top asset to get it. There are other Ibaka-like players out there and in just about every draft.

You don't trade for Towns to "add a post presence" to your team. You trade for him to be one of the top-2 (at least) stars on your team.

- Carl Jung
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Carl's a major twat.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

"strike while the iron is hot"? You really think his trade value is going to diminish while he is under contract here?

There's absolutely no need to trade him now. He will be just as valuable on the trade market in 2-3 years, as he is now. The iron is always going to be hot with this guy.

If you get a trade offer that blows you away, take it. If not, theres no reason to trade him.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

This thread might be dumber than Fade's love affair with Wiggins thread.
Let's get Tropical
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:50 pm trades are cut and dried. free agency, you can never be sure.
I really like a FVV, have since he was so damn good in the Finals. You mention him all the time, but it seems are finally coming around to the conclusion that FA and MN are the equivalent of FIRE and ICE. The two don’t go together, players don’t have MN targeted as a team they are willing to go to as a choice. FVV ain’t coming to MN in FA, so we can scratch him off the wish list.

Rosas’s only realistic option of getting a really good rising player with some proven experience is through a trade. DLO is still young, fits exactly what this franchise needs and is signed to a deal that keeps him locked in for a bit. That is what MN would hope to do with any type of stud FA. ROSAS needs to do his fucking job and trade whatever he has as assets that GSW wants and get this done. He’s got this week and next to get something done to address the PG problem in a major way.

Get up on the JOB ROSAS.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

okay. i admit i'm wrong. let's get DLo. i'll sit back and cheer with the rest of you as our core guys KAT, Dlo and wiggins lead us to the finals. it's bound to happen.
Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

And just for good measure on how I feel about this thread -

TrueBlue

Post by TrueBlue »

You guys are idiots
Spoiler:
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:21 am okay. i admit i'm wrong. let's get DLo. i'll sit back and cheer with the rest of you as our core guys KAT, Dlo and wiggins lead us to the finals. it's bound to happen.
KAT and DLO get you a foundation to actually set a course and build around. If Wiggins was able to flourish along with them then the Wolves would be on great shape.

If you trade KAT you will get pieces, but then you are just running around again looking for pieces to fit together and get a foundation to build on. I would argue KAT is a better piece build onto than anyone you have mentioned as a trade trade here.

It’s Rosas’s job to figure it out and he needs to exhaust every effort to build around KAT before he breaks down and trades him. That would likely be a last resort and likely the last season he would be GM.

Moses Scurry

Post by Moses Scurry »

Trade KAT, get the #2 pick, draft Derrick Williams, seriously, nothing could go wrong.

Fucking idiots.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

jodaman01 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:44 am
somuchyummy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:21 am okay. i admit i'm wrong. let's get DLo. i'll sit back and cheer with the rest of you as our core guys KAT, Dlo and wiggins lead us to the finals. it's bound to happen.
KAT and DLO get you a foundation to actually set a course and build around. If Wiggins was able to flourish along with them then the Wolves would be on great shape.

If you trade KAT you will get pieces, but then you are just running around again looking for pieces to fit together and get a foundation to build on. I would argue KAT is a better piece build onto than anyone you have mentioned as a trade trade here.

It’s Rosas’s job to figure it out and he needs to exhaust every effort to build around KAT before he breaks down and trades him. That would likely be a last resort and likely the last season he would be GM.

okay. fine. let me know when all three of our young core pieces start to play a little D. it's by far the weakest part in all three of their games - and we'll be signing on for long term big money majority of the PT with that.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Yeah, we should totally trade this bum. Fuck this thread is stupid.

Let's get Tropical
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I’m not a Dlo fan either. But trading whatever it takes outside of Towns to get him and pair him with Towns is a better plan than trading Towns for Tatum.

I’m okay with DLo, depending on what we have to give up. But I’d rather keep adding talent through the draft. I’m encouraged lately by Culver’s progress. If that continues and we add another piece next summer, we’re slowly on our way. We’ve never really had the patience to do this right. We keep trying to make shortcuts that don’t work.

- Carl Jung
Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:12 pm
I’m not a Dlo fan either. But trading whatever it takes outside of Towns to get him and pair him with Towns is a better plan than trading Towns for Tatum.

I’m okay with DLo, depending on what we have to give up. But I’d rather keep adding talent through the draft. I’m encouraged lately by Culver’s progress. If that continues and we add another piece next summer, we’re slowly on our way. We’ve never really had the patience to do this right. We keep trying to make shortcuts that don’t work.
I am bored with DeAngelo Russell. Hell, the fuck didn't even want to come here in the first place, so why the continued fixation on someone that 1. is afraid of our shitty weather, and 2. is a good player, but is a chucker with shitty defense and probably would only bring slight improvement to a franchise that needs a much larger boost.

I feel bad for Rosas. Seriously. He has an incredible mess to clean up after Thibs screwing the pooch (and Glen Taylor by extension, per the usual) and then some. I hope he can figure shit out, but this team sucks. The fans are not interested/apathetic (and for good reason), and its getting to the point where the franchise should just fold up shop and move to Seattle.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Vendetta11 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:18 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:12 pm

I am bored with DeAngelo Russell. Hell, the fuck didn't even want to come here in the first place, so why the continued fixation on someone that 1. is afraid of our shitty weather, and 2. is a good player, but is a chucker and probably wouldn't only bring slight improvement to a franchise that needs a much larger boost.

I feel bad for Rosas. Seriously. He has an incredible mess to clean up after Thibs screwing the pooch (and Glen Taylor by extension, per the usual) and then some. I hope he can figure shit out, but this team sucks. The fans are not interested/apathetic (and for good reason), and its getting to the point where the franchise should just fold up shop and move to Seattle.
I really think a methodical, patient approach is long overdue. Sure, make a splash trade if something materializes, but don’t force one. Make smart trades and picks. Get something for guys who are likely going to leave (like he did with The Homie). Slowly build depth through smart trades, good drafting, and G-League development. Don’t make panic moves and don’t sacrifice the future for the now until the team is on the cusp of something. That’s really our only shot.

- Carl Jung
Vendetta11

Post by Vendetta11 »

Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:22 pm
I really think a methodical, patient approach is long overdue. Sure, make a splash trade if something materializes, but don’t force one. Make smart trades and picks. Get something for guys who are likely going to leave (like he did with The Homie). Slowly build depth through smart trades, good drafting, and G-League development. Don’t make panic moves and don’t sacrifice the future for the now until the team is on the cusp of something. That’s really our only shot.
Completely agreed. The front office has been such a mess for so long, I am keeping my fingers crossed that Glen FINALLY got the right man to get this thing over the hump. There is a great basketball fanbase here, there really is, and its sad that said fanbase has such a shitty product to see (unless they go to Lynx games).
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i'm all in favor of development. it's been my mantra about this team for years.

my current rant is more about how awful the team currently is, how disinterested the majority of the fan base has become - and we're FIVE years into having KAT on this team. i'll agree all the way that KAT is a phenomenal offensive talent - but we all know that the main reason this team has sucked for so long is that we've been bad defensively. KAT knows this, KAT talks about this, KAT shows flashes towards improving his lousy D - and then, it all goes back to square one.

if KAT were truly the leader this team needs, by now he would have completely dedicated himself to being a great defender. it would show up on the court every night. but this isn't what has happened. and then he doubles down by wanting to add another horrible defender as a core piece because they're friends? add to that wiggins' lax efforts defensively - when does it turn around with this bunch - when the "leaders" are the biggest offenders?

hear me out. we sacrifice to get DLo and stay the course with these guys - by 2023, we'll have three "stars" checking their great stats after each game while the team has a .392 winning percentage.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

It's year 6! "Flourish"

This kid is going to be close to a decade in the NBA. :lol:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

Vendetta11 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:30 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:22 pm
Completely agreed. The front office has been such a mess for so long, I am keeping my fingers crossed that Glen FINALLY got the right man to get this thing over the hump. There is a great basketball fanbase here, there really is, and its sad that said fanbase has such a shitty product to see (unless they go to Lynx games).
Aside from shipping out Wiggins who I think just doesn't fit with Towns, I agree with this. They need to avoid the knee jerk trades that are stealing our youth.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:24 pm

It's year 6! "Flourish"

This kid is going to be close to a decade in the NBA. :lol:
You're thinking of geriatric Wiggins, not spring chicken KAT
UnFadeable21 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:55 pm Edwards Negatives:

Low IQ
Low Motor
Bad Shot Selection
Bad defense

Who does this remind you of?
witljon

Post by witljon »

Now you’re talking. :thumbsup: