Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

The Losing End

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
somuchyummy

The Losing End

Post by somuchyummy »

what do you think about losing - in terms of it having long term effects on players or not? IMO there is such a thing as a losing culture and what it means to players who are part of that losing culture, and what they expect out of themselves and their team. i'm putting this out there because it seems like mgmt doesn't care if we lose this year, it's about something else - growth, experience, new system, whatever you want to call it. in the long run, i don't think it's wise. IMO it just creates players who develop losing into their cellular structure. anyway, here are some of the major and minor components of this year's roster - and what their personal nba win/loss records are (just regular season - not playoffs). these numbers reflect only the games the players themselves played in.

KAT - 150 wins/197 losses
wigs - 166 wins/267 losses
dieng - 199 wins/290 losses
culver - 15 wins/25 losses
okogie - 47 wins/66 losses
KBD - 18 wins/41 losses
roco - 145 wins/221 losses
napier - 164 wins/163 losses
crabbe - 178 wins/193 losses
layman - 92 wins/63 losses
vonleh - 134 wins/193 losses
bell - 97 wins/52 losses

only three players (napier, layman and bell) have been part of more nba wins than losses. as a team, our collective win/loss career record is 1405 wins and 1771 losses. (remove 4 guys who have played little to none for us - napier, layman, bell and crabbe - and that overall record gets a bunch worse. those four are a plus 61 in the win column.) but this has to take a toll on the brain. and then to have a coach and mgmt basically say "that's okay guys, we're going to lose a bunch of games this year - don't worry about it" - when and how does that constant losing mentality get turned around? i know there are quite a few rubes here that don't agree with me on this - but i think the wolves should be trying to win every damn game they play - in whatever fashion they can win.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Beef Supreme

Re: The Losing End

Post by Beef Supreme »

Michael Jordan was once asked what advice he sought from the vets on the 84 bulls team to which he was drafted.

He said “nothing. They’re losers.”
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Housedealer21

Re: The Losing End

Post by Housedealer21 »

Great thread/post. The worst part about it is that the system that mgmt is putting in, and is willing to sacrifice the season for, isn't going to build a winner here.