Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

2020 NBA Draft: Timberwolves with the 5th pick:

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan

2020 NBA Draft: Timberwolves with the 5th pick:

Post by Decker23 »

Who do they take?
"Butler gone and Wiggins with a chip on his shoulder: All Star this season potential." -Unfadeable21

"It's would you rather have Wiggins or Kyrie? I'm taking Wiggins." - Sergeant Rubetube

#1 Andrew Wiggins fan
somuchyummy

Re: 2020 NBA Draft: Timberwolves with the 5th pick:

Post by somuchyummy »

depends on this trade talk. if we land russell, then i'd go obi toppin.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:33 pm depends on this trade talk. if we land russell, then i'd go obi toppin.
Obi will end up a top 2 pick IMO. I'd do whatever it takes to get him. He would be awesome sitting on our bench next to all the other useless tall guys.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

how come i just knew that would be your final sentence?

but seriously thrill, he's only like 6-8 225. he could masquerade as a wing.

how's toppin doing against big time programs? i think that might be the only rap. he's not a particularly big big. so has he been so dominant because he's as big, but stronger faster more athletic than the dayton competition? and when he hits the pros, that advantage will disappear? i don't think he's a morant level talent - and even then, ja as a PG doesn't have to overcome the size thing in his transition to the pros nearly as much as a 6-8 225 PF might. long story short, i think when all's said and done - he'll be there at 5.

i don't think the wolves will be there though - and if this dlo thing falls thru - i'll be happy if they can get haliburton at 8 or 9.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:37 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:33 pm depends on this trade talk. if we land russell, then i'd go obi toppin.
Obi will end up a top 2 pick IMO. I'd do whatever it takes to get him. He would be awesome sitting on our bench next to all the other useless tall guys.
Better chance Stewart goes top 2 IMO.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:37 pm
Well we so stocked with shooters that it would be good to find a player with that in-between range.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Cole Anthony!!
j2j

Post by j2j »

We're currently the 10th pick, but there are a few teams who've played more games than us. We'd be 9th in the East right now.

Tyrese Haliburton is my favorite in that range, but I could see him moving up.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

why is haliburton such a divisive pick? seems to check all the boxes - like LOADS of boxes - but is his athleticism, quickness, translatability to the nba in question?
j2j

Post by j2j »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:52 am why is haliburton such a divisive pick? seems to check all the boxes - like LOADS of boxes - but is his athleticism, quickness, translatability to the nba in question?
You mean as far as why isnt he higher on all boards? Honestly, dont know. Theres the obvious love "experts" have for one and dones and their preseason rankings.

Quick search I'm finding quotes like...

- "The Iowa State sophomore is one of the most polarizing prospects in recent memory."

What's polarizing about a pass first point guard who is a great defender and can shoot? That hes not a high flying guy who will rip the rim off and doesnt chuck shots off the dribble? Sign me up for that.

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i read the same quote and thought the same thing. how is a really nicely sized PG with a 7 foot wingspan, who plays great D, is a great playmaker, and scores incredibly efficiently from everywhere on the court - how exactly is he polarizing? i mean, i'll take it. i'd rather he fall to us than get picked top 4. (btw, he had a stinker game the other day. doesn't dim his light for me at all - just gives me more hope he'll slip to us) edit: maybe stinker game overstates it. iowa state got beat by #2 ranked baylor. haliburton shot just 2-12 with 6 pts - so very uncharacteristic. but he also finished with 8 rebounds, 9 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks. not exactly stinkaroo except for the shooting.
H8ter

Post by H8ter »

Lonzo Ball.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

Haliburton will go around 5th or 6th.
j2j

Post by j2j »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:12 pm i read the same quote and thought the same thing. how is a really nicely sized PG with a 7 foot wingspan, who plays great D, is a great playmaker, and scores incredibly efficiently from everywhere on the court - how exactly is he polarizing? i mean, i'll take it. i'd rather he fall to us than get picked top 4. (btw, he had a stinker game the other day. doesn't dim his light for me at all - just gives me more hope he'll slip to us) edit: maybe stinker game overstates it. iowa state got beat by #2 ranked baylor. haliburton shot just 2-12 with 6 pts - so very uncharacteristic. but he also finished with 8 rebounds, 9 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks. not exactly stinkaroo except for the shooting.
So on his worst day he's Rubio. :D

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

j2j wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:36 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:12 pm i read the same quote and thought the same thing. how is a really nicely sized PG with a 7 foot wingspan, who plays great D, is a great playmaker, and scores incredibly efficiently from everywhere on the court - how exactly is he polarizing? i mean, i'll take it. i'd rather he fall to us than get picked top 4. (btw, he had a stinker game the other day. doesn't dim his light for me at all - just gives me more hope he'll slip to us) edit: maybe stinker game overstates it. iowa state got beat by #2 ranked baylor. haliburton shot just 2-12 with 6 pts - so very uncharacteristic. but he also finished with 8 rebounds, 9 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks. not exactly stinkaroo except for the shooting.
So on his worst day he's Rubio. :D
basically.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

any thoughts about makur maker and his chances for success on the nba level? the comparison is KG - but idk, the vids i see make him look more like a giannis type. anyway, i love his athleticism, his skills, the fact that he's not a complete bean pole, and that he plays with a motor. he's not listed on a lot of mocks because he's still lobbying to get into the draft as a high school kid. watch some vids.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Watching a ballislife video claiming Maker is a 7ft guard and he looks like absolute ass. Turnover after turnover, can't dribble. They did that same shit with Thon, thinking if they call him a guard it would get him more attention and he turned out to be trash. Lot of froobs were hyped about him for some silly reason. So desperate to turn players into unicorns with heavily edited highlight videos.

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i didn't think he looked bad. clunky in spots and sure, it's a highlight vid, but a 7 foot high school player that has enough athleticism and skills to move thru traffic while dribbling - gives you hope for his future. i wonder how clunky and mistake free KG and the freak looked at that age. (the freak must still lead the league in TOs - everytime i check his boxscore, he has 6 or so). i agree maker's not going to be a PG - but there's certainly a lot of raw material to work with there to develop as a SF/PF/C - especially if you got him on a second round pick. let's just say i saw more there nbawise than i saw last year in bol bol vids.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

read an interesting article in the paper today about freddy gillespie - baylor's center who hails from minnesota - and who just a couple years ago was playing for carlton?!?!? anyway, his emergence as a legit force on one of the best teams in college ball is pretty incredible - so now there's even talk that he might get pro interest. there's a lot to like in the second round - athletic, really solid smart kid, super hard worker - 6-9 with an absurd 7-6 wingspan.
j2j

Post by j2j »

I've seen Gillespie listed as a 1st rounder in some spots, late lottery.

somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

where? see - this is just a weird mocking year. stuff's all over the place. killian hayes shows up overall #3 in a recent mock - other mocks have him late first. again, why we are tanking this year is absurd. just do the research and we should be able to get a good piece without having to throw away a season.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:52 am why is haliburton such a divisive pick? seems to check all the boxes - like LOADS of boxes - but is his athleticism, quickness, translatability to the nba in question?
He is not a top athlete he's been able to shoot for about half a year now. He's smart and uses his length well. Kind of sounds a lot like MCW doesn't it. Anyone taking the next MCW in the lotto?
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i guess if you want to throw out comps you can. but williams college 31% three point percentage is considerably south of haliburton's 41% mark. just that alone separates him in a pretty significant way.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

somuchyummy wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:58 pm i guess if you want to throw out comps you can. but williams college 31% three point percentage is considerably south of haliburton's 41% mark. just that alone separates him in a pretty significant way.
And we are all of half way through one season of those numbers. He didn't shoot that last year. He's not shooting a ton of 3's a game. And college 3 shooting is the least translatable.

I like the guy and think he's a pro but can definitely see why some are wary.
j2j

Post by j2j »

The fuck?

Last year 43% on 3 attempts per game. This year 39% on 6 attempts per game.

witljon

Post by witljon »

Decker23 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:28 pm Who do they take?
Well, if we were to somehow land D’Angelo Russell without giving up our pick, I’d say the homer pick of Daniel Oturu would be a great fit.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

MCW's college three pt numbers were somewhat translatable - 31% in college, 25% in the pros. let's just say the trend looks more hopeful with tyrese.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

j2j wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:34 pm The fuck?

Not the stats I remember seeing watching him this week. Still not a good shooter by what I saw.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Thrillkill wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:00 pm
j2j wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:34 pm The fuck?

Not the stats I remember seeing watching him this week. Still not a good shooter by what I saw.
the thing on haliburton is that he's been a really efficient scorer - to the point that his coach has expressed a wish that he'd shoot more often. .434 on 3.2 threes per game his freshman year - and .388 on 6.1 attempts per game this year. 3 year total of 87 of 211 - maybe not updated after the last game. career average of .412 on 4.1 attempts per game. extremely efficient when you add in his career 63% on twos. the king of college threes for the past two years - arkansas' isaiah joe has a career avg of .391 from deep. he launches them continually, that's his deal - 179 of 458 over two seasons. haliburton's no slouch, despite what you saw the other day.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

I’m taking Cassius Winston

Give me a floor general PG and who can shoot
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine