Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Woj Bomb! Teague/Graham gone

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
digitalwolf

Re: Woj Bomb! Teague/Graham gone

Post by digitalwolf »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:52 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:50 pm
mlhouse wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:45 pm

YOu realize it has to be contracts that GSW would take back in the deal, right???
I think we have them or they are moronic. Covington is a perfect fit for them, Dieng is two-fold. 1. he provides a positional need, 2. he is a 2021 expiring in a deep FA market who will either provide value by being re-signed for less or traded to a team with a big contract. Past that it is sweetener Okogie, picks ect...
They are not going to take 2 years of Dieng. That is idiotic. If they trade Russell that is because htey want to unload the salary slot, not take on more 2020-21 salary.
It's not two years, it's a year in a half.....and you act as if the GSW's are penny pinchers like us or other small market teams, they are going to be taxed like a motherfucker regardless of taking on Dieng for a year and change. GS doesn't need to unload salary for Dlo, they need to have a fully ready turn key team coming into next season where everyone is healthy. Curry, Thompson, Cov, Green, and Dieng is amazing starting five....and that's paired with their almost certain top three pick. After making a serious contending run with Dieng on their roster, he falls off, Green can be moved, and they still have an amazing core. People thinking Dieng's contract is that bad are way out out whack at this point. He's played respectable enough this season, and he's got less than two years on the books.
T_J

Post by T_J »

digitalwolf wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:46 am

I think we have them or they are moronic. Covington is a perfect fit for them, Dieng is two-fold. 1. he provides a positional need, 2. he is a 2021 expiring in a deep FA market who will either provide value by being re-signed for less or traded to a team with a big contract. Past that it is sweetener Okogie, picks ect...
They are not going to take 2 years of Dieng. That is idiotic. If they trade Russell that is because htey want to unload the salary slot, not take on more 2020-21 salary.
It's not two years, it's a year in a half.....and you act as if the GSW's are penny pinchers like us or other small market teams, they are going to be taxed like a motherfucker regardless of taking on Dieng for a year and change. GS doesn't need to unload salary for Dlo, they need to have a fully ready turn key team coming into next season where everyone is healthy. Curry, Thompson, Cov, Green, and Dieng is amazing starting five....and that's paired with their almost certain top three pick. After making a serious contending run with Dieng on their roster, he falls off, Green can be moved, and they still have an amazing core. People thinking Dieng's contract is that bad are way out out whack at this point. He's played respectable enough this season, and he's got less than two years on the books.
Dieng is a solid pro here. Imagine him on a team where he is asked to do even less. He's a professional.
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

T_J wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:58 am

Dieng is a solid pro here. Imagine him on a team where he is asked to do even less. He's a professional.
For sure....I mean, I was never high on Dieng, but I respected that he did get a little better each year. This season appears to be his best yet and he's always been about the business. But you can look around the league, Dieng makes what basically all mid level bigs make, and he produces on par with all of them. GS has two worthwhile bigs on their team next season, Spellman and Looney, and Looney is def not a five....but regardless, they could very much use Dieng, they don't flinch about paying extra tax, and he falls off the books the following season. Imagine if they get Wiseman?! I think them taking on Cov and Dieng make them instant favorites in the West next year with Thompson coming back in full force, and if they land Wiseman....with the way Curry and Thompson will be able to shoot from deep until they are 40, they could be scary for another five years.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

No team in the NBA is going to essentially pay Dieng $30+ million. Golden St. or otherwise.
T_J

Post by T_J »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:01 am

No team in the NBA is going to essentially pay Dieng $30+ million. Golden St. or otherwise.
*17m
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

He makes 17 million next season, half of this season...call it another 8....my math doesn't equal 30 million. But you are more intelligent, so I'll let you stick to the numbers. However, getting past the notion that GS can afford 25, or in your math, 30 million is easy when you look at two things. One, he's not really that overpaid because he's played well as of late. And two, GS has two bigs under contract next season. One isn't very good, and the other is basically Green without the ability....Dieng is a quality piece on that team. And as other eluded to, he falls off the books during the best FA class that's ever existed. I'm sure our pick will have to be involved, but that's not because Dieng is massively overpaid.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

You fuckers make me embarrassed with your constant want to trade Gorgs and your constant denigrating his value. He is at worst our 4th best player and probably our 3rd. Certainly our 2nd best 3 shooter. Just because the idiot is too stupid to value him and his pussy boy follows suit doesn't mean you have to be idiots too.
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:13 am You fuckers make me embarrassed with your constant want to trade Gorgs and your constant denigrating his value. He is at worst our 4th best player and probably our 3rd. Certainly our 2nd best 3 shooter. Just because the idiot is too stupid to value him and his pussy boy follows suit doesn't mean you have to be idiots too.
Check the thread Gorgui has trade value. Do you really want to see him languishing on our bench until he high tails it to team that will actually play him?
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

winforlose wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:15 am
Thrillkill wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:13 am You fuckers make me embarrassed with your constant want to trade Gorgs and your constant denigrating his value. He is at worst our 4th best player and probably our 3rd. Certainly our 2nd best 3 shooter. Just because the idiot is too stupid to value him and his pussy boy follows suit doesn't mean you have to be idiots too.
Check the thread Gorgui has trade value. Do you really want to see him languishing on our bench until he high tails it to team that will actually play him?
Is this who we are now? We just sit around and look for trades for all of our best players? RoCo and Gorgs are our 3rd and 4th best players and we don't even consider them part of the team? Everyone wants to dump wigs? Add a 1st to do it? It is fucking pathetic.

That's who we are now.
morneaumvp

Post by morneaumvp »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:19 am
Is this who we are now? We just sit around and look for trades for all of our best players? RoCo and Gorgs are our 3rd and 4th best players and we don't even consider them part of the team? Everyone wants to dump wigs? Add a 1st to do it? It is fucking pathetic.

That's who we are now.
I get you on G and Cov but..

Wiggs is a failed experiment
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

Thrillkill wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:19 am

That's who we are now.
What we are is bouncing from one extreme to another. We went from a team playing outdated basketball, to a team trying to modernize too aggressively. I don’t like small ball. Small ball fails more often than not. Rebounding is always going to be more important than jump shooting. I agree Gorgui is a valuable player, but when Ryan and Rosas both tell you they plan to play 3 wings then you have two choices. 1, you put a guy like Gorgui on the bench and wait until he is needed. 2. You trade him for someone who fits the system you are going to use. We need PGs and Wings instead of bigs because our FO is too stupid to use bigs properly. That is who we are now. As for Roco, he isn’t getting it done for us. He is talented as all get out on defense, and a true threat on offense, but we are still losing. Being forced to play a s*** system isn’t helping, but the truth is Wiggins is not good enough and we need more consistent scoring. Our droughts kill us in close games. Hell, we even blow 25 point leads. This isn’t working. Roco is our most valuable trade piece to try and fix what is broken. Culver is showing signs of long term value so sell high or keep him. You asked us this who we are, we are what the FO makes us. This team is a playoff team using the proper lineups and schemes, but our FO says no. We are a team that needs to get good in our new system because the system we are built for is being totally abandoned.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

digitalwolf wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:20 am

He makes 17 million next season, half of this season...call it another 8....my math doesn't equal 30 million. But you are more intelligent, so I'll let you stick to the numbers. However, getting past the notion that GS can afford 25, or in your math, 30 million is easy when you look at two things. One, he's not really that overpaid because he's played well as of late. And two, GS has two bigs under contract next season. One isn't very good, and the other is basically Green without the ability....Dieng is a quality piece on that team. And as other eluded to, he falls off the books during the best FA class that's ever existed. I'm sure our pick will have to be involved, but that's not because Dieng is massively overpaid.
No, because if you take back Dieng in a Russell trade then GSW is paying more than $17 million in luxury tax. So, that is the same as paying him $34 million.... Maybe there is a key player that the Warriors would say they had to have and take on the salary in a Russell trade, BUT GORGUI DIENG is not that.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

NotRasho wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:31 pm The only deals we should be making are ones which add assets we can use later. Theres not a big deal to be made at the moment so we should prepare for when there is. If you can get anything of value for Wiggins you move him, but only for assets that can be moved going forward. You move Covington but only if you believe the package you get back for him will be more valuable as a trade chip a year down the road than just holding on to him. You dont "dump" Gorgui, you only move him if somebody will give assets for him.
I'm in this boat. Let the contracts expire as needed or make deals that give you additional ammo for the future.

I have no idea where to go with Wiggins but I lean towards still trading him for an expiring contract if someone offers it up. I don't want to attach picks to him right now though.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
j2j

Post by j2j »

NotRasho wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:31 pm The only deals we should be making are ones which add assets we can use later. Theres not a big deal to be made at the moment so we should prepare for when there is. If you can get anything of value for Wiggins you move him, but only for assets that can be moved going forward. You move Covington but only if you believe the package you get back for him will be more valuable as a trade chip a year down the road than just holding on to him. You dont "dump" Gorgui, you only move him if somebody will give assets for him.
Agreed.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
Style

Post by Style »

Yup, I'm with all three of you here.

I'd be most aggressive in trying to move Wiggins, but above all else I'd be practicing patience right now.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

The market for Covington is never going to be higher. It is almost a perfect storm for us. He is probably the most sought after player on the market. You sell high on him. Making a move carries risk, because you don't know what value the assets will have if you are talking young players and picks, but if you wait you will get less total value regardless of if you get lucky and something pans out almost entirely based on happenstance.

Obviously you don't dump Gourgi, he at worst expires leading into a loaded if not historically loaded FA class. He also can provide relief in that year for a team seeking space. He has some value and is no-longer a negative asset.
Style

Post by Style »

I'd be hitting up Charlotte trying to get Batum for Wiggins. Get out of Wiggins deal so after next year there's a ton of cap room with 3 consecutive lottery picks, Okogie, and KAT. Plus potentially RoCo or what's acquired for RoCo.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Style wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:55 pm I'd be hitting up Charlotte trying to get Batum for Wiggins. Get out of Wiggins deal so after next year there's a ton of cap room with 3 consecutive lottery picks, Okogie, and KAT. Plus potentially RoCo or what's acquired for RoCo.
I don't love the Batum angle, probably because it would require assets if they even do it in the first place. I guess their willingness would be directly tied to the amount of space they will have if any in 2021. I don't think they would give up that space if they have it without being give a reason to do so.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

thinktank wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:48 am
feekdogg wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:19 am 100 bucks says KAT plays next game.
I’ll take that bet.
You out some smokes, son.
kilkenny

Post by kilkenny »

feekdogg wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:40 pm
I’ll take that bet.
Wow, nice gamble feek. Now, will it be honored?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

kilkenny wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:12 pm

I’ll take that bet.
:shock:
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
digitalwolf

Post by digitalwolf »

SO_MONEY wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:04 pm
Style wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:55 pm I'd be hitting up Charlotte trying to get Batum for Wiggins. Get out of Wiggins deal so after next year there's a ton of cap room with 3 consecutive lottery picks, Okogie, and KAT. Plus potentially RoCo or what's acquired for RoCo.
I don't love the Batum angle, probably because it would require assets if they even do it in the first place. I guess their willingness would be directly tied to the amount of space they will have if any in 2021. I don't think they would give up that space if they have it without being give a reason to do so.
I think Charlotte's only chance at landing players are by trade only, similar to us, but at least we have a player of KAT's caliber. They have nothing close to even Wiggins level...so the idea of adding a young player who is absolutely a 20 ppg scorer locked up for his prime, it's a pretty good piece considering, Rozier is the only guy they have locked up long term thats considerable amount of money, even if Wiggins for Batum swap still leaves them 30 million under the cap next season, and if they choose to just sign one year guys and attempt something in 2021 (which I think is pointless for them), then they still have the flexibility even with Wiggins. For me, either there or the Knicks is the most ideal spot for him to land purely based off their cap space over the next few years and their putrid ability to get good players in general.
thinktank

Post by thinktank »

I’ll take that bet.
I saw that!

Good work.

Are the Wolves saying to GSW, go ahead and take our pick because we’ll be winning games anyway?
j2j

Post by j2j »

kilkenny wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:12 pm

I’ll take that bet.
:lol:

mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Did Rosas show his hand to early? Again(draft)? If its one trade to another it should be bam bam.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I think he needed to get Teague away because Karl hates his guts. No surprise he returned suddenly tonight after being questionable for weeks.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan

Post by jodaman01 »

T_J wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:44 am
flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:12 pm
jodaman01 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 pm

Step 2 was Rosas riding around in a helicopter with DLO and KAT after Step 1 had been agreed to, looking like a total dildo.
DLo had already decided to go to the Warriors before the helicopter ride and everyone found out during the ride...

Right from the get go DLo chose the Warriors and was just giving the Wolves the run around.
Somwhow he gives KAT no blame there despite it being his bff.
I believe KAT likely talks to his own agent, but probably not other players agents (even his bff). Now Rosas as a GM he may speak to a players agent or two, maybe even one he is putting the greatest show on earth for to sign him to his team.....Maybe. :roll:

Rosas is still after him, I hope he gets him before the deadline.

GO WOLVES!! :thumbsup:
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Crabbe has been here for one day and is already sick. Awesome.
Let's get Tropical
j2j

Post by j2j »

jffl_commish wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:23 pm Crabbe has been here for one day and is already sick. Awesome.
I blame Wiggins and his kid.

irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

He's played like 30 minutes in the last two seasons. I think the flu is the least of his worries.