Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Woj Bomb! Teague/Graham gone

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
SO_MONEY

Re: Woj Bomb! Teague/Graham gone

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:12 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:01 pm
mlhouse wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:52 pm

They are not going to take 2 years of Dieng. That is idiotic. If they trade Russell that is because htey want to unload the salary slot, not take on more 2020-21 salary.
LOL. Dieng and Covington make them a better team, period. AND there is probably no team that will give up that much in terms of what they need. You might find a team that will give up a couple of young guys and/or picks, but is that what the GSW's want? Dieng is not really a bad contract to that team, better than DLo anyways. Moreover unloading Russells salary doesn't do them anything, they are over the cap, do you not understand how this works? You think they want a 27 mil TPE they may never use to get players that help them as much as the ones we can offer? I am not saying a deal is going to happen, but we have a more than fair offer for a player we might be one of the only teams willing to take on his contract.
They would not stop laughing at any deal involving Dieng...
Could be, but it would make them foolish because no team is going to offer a combo of vets as good as Covington and Dieng and that is what they should want. If they want lesser players by all means let them do it.
Last edited by SO_MONEY on Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j2j

Post by j2j »

More often than not TPEs go unused, but there's a path that Gorgui for Iggy's TPE, then Culver for DLo creates an even larger TPE and extends the deadline another year. Add picks where needed.

Now I can't imagine Golden State having any interest in Gorgui as a player, his contract does help them maximize Iggy's TPE.
We've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty.

***Official 2022 Froob Brackets Participant***
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

j2j wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:21 pm More often than not TPEs go unused, but there's a path that Gorgui for Iggy's TPE, then Culver for DLo creates an even larger TPE and extends the deadline another year. Add picks where needed.

Now I can't imagine Golden State having any interest in Gorgui as a player, his contract does help them maximize Iggy's TPE.
Why would they want Culver when they can have Covington is my question...?
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:20 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:01 pm

LOL. Dieng and Covington make them a better team, period. AND there is probably no team that will give up that much in terms of what they need. You might find a team that will give up a couple of young guys and/or picks, but is that what the GSW's want? Dieng is not really a bad contract to that team, better than DLo anyways. Moreover unloading Russells salary doesn't do them anything, they are over the cap, do you not understand how this works? You think they want a 27 mil TPE they may never use to get players that help them as much as the ones we can offer? I am not saying a deal is going to happen, but we have a more than fair offer for a player we might be one of the only teams willing to take on his contract.
Could be, but it would make them foolish because no team is going to offer a combo of vets as good as Covington and Dieng and that is what they should want.
Again, they do not want two years of Dieng's contract. They want to free up salary so they do not have a $17 million 2020-21 luxury tax bill. The primary driver for this trade would be a servicable player like Covington and an expiring contract like Teagues.

So, if they can make a trade like Covington+Teague for Russell, that would get them below the 2020-21 luxury tax threshold. Taking Dieng's deal keeps them over. They are NOT going to make a deal that involved Dieng's contract.
j2j

Post by j2j »

SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:25 pm
j2j wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:21 pm More often than not TPEs go unused, but there's a path that Gorgui for Iggy's TPE, then Culver for DLo creates an even larger TPE and extends the deadline another year. Add picks where needed.

Why would they want Culver when they can have Covington is my question...?
Well I just said one potential reason in what you quoted. Another would be trying to get younger?

SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:26 pm

Could be, but it would make them foolish because no team is going to offer a combo of vets as good as Covington and Dieng and that is what they should want.
Again, they do not want two years of Dieng's contract. They want to free up salary so they do not have a $17 million 2020-21 luxury tax bill. The primary driver for this trade would be a servicable player like Covington and an expiring contract like Teagues.

So, if they can make a trade like Covington+Teague for Russell, that would get them below the 2020-21 luxury tax threshold. Taking Dieng's deal keeps them over. They are NOT going to make a deal that involved Dieng's contract.
So cute. You think the LUX matters to the GSW. Their financials are SOLID. They are not worried.
j2j

Post by j2j »

Yeah, GSW isn't overly concerned about the LUX if it means competing for a championship. Not that Gorgs helps them win that championship, but the LUX isnt the #1 reason why they wouldnt do something.

irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

I don't think golden state is going to take gorgui at his price because I think they're slowly falling in love with Spellman at the 5.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmur ... bbb47c24fd

He never gets tired being wrong working off assumptions.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:30 pm

So cute. You think the LUX matters to the GSW. Their financials are SOLID. They are not worried.
Yeah, it does matter. That is why they dumped Andre Igoudola with first round pick (top-4 protected) and payed Memphis $2 million to dump his salary. That is why they dumped Graham and Napier on MInnesota along with $3.6 million in cash.

And, if they incure luxury tax levels, THEY AINT DOING IT FOR DIENG!
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

irishman89 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:32 pm I don't think golden state is going to take gorgui at his price because I think they're slowly falling in love with Spellman at the 5.
Then they trade him to a team for a player making good money on a longer contract who wants an expiring. But in reality they need depth and a big that can play D. It is a weakness for the team has been most years for them.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:34 pm

Yeah, it does matter. That is why they dumped Andre Igoudola with first round pick (top-4 protected) and payed Memphis $2 million to dump his salary. That is why they dumped Graham and Napier on MInnesota along with $3.6 million in cash.

LOL. You understand they needed to make room for Russell in a S&T...right????
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:36 pm

Teh Minnesota-Golden St. trade was a completely different trade. Graham and Napier had to be included back to Golden St. so that the Golden St. part of the trade balanced Durant's salary. Then Golden St. dumped Napier/Graham plus CASH, glorious CASH to MInnesota. Glen loved the deal because that paid the last two roster spots.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Just got home and saw this. Are we planing on keeping Crabbe? Playing him? Have they said? Very overpaid on a bad team but a couple years ago he was the epitome of 3 and D. Not sure this does anything down the line since his Bird rights are meaningless as we'd have a huge cap hold on him and therefore couldn't use them. Still think we could have done much better with Teague at the deadline but if we plan to play Crabbe and he can be what he was he's a good fit. If we have no plans for him then we wasted Teague. Hoping for the former. And the former Crabbe of course.

Also hope this means more of Culver at the point.
Ooogabooga

Post by Ooogabooga »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:47 pm Just got home and saw this. Are we planing on keeping Crabbe? Playing him? Have they said? Very overpaid on a bad team but a couple years ago he was the epitome of 3 and D. Not sure this does anything down the line since his Bird rights are meaningless as we'd have a huge cap hold on him and therefore couldn't use them. Still think we could have done much better with Teague at the deadline but if we plan to play Crabbe and he can be what he was he's a good fit. If we have no plans for him then we wasted Teague. Hoping for the former. And the former Crabbe of course.

Nothing said. We have his bird rights and some more capspace. Looks like its kick the tires for 6 months to see how he fits type thing before free agency.
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:47 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:36 pm

Teh Minnesota-Golden St. trade was a completely different trade. Graham and Napier had to be included back to Golden St. so that the Golden St. part of the trade balanced Durant's salary. Then Golden St. dumped Napier/Graham plus CASH, glorious CASH to MInnesota. Glen loved the deal because that paid the last two roster spots.
And they wanted to sign at least one draft pick. What is your point? That to clear a roster spot to sign someone there is some overarching motivation? That MN wasn't willing to help out in that regard? Whatever... What were you saying about the deal with Iggy, you know the only deal with real financial implications? Oh it wasn't LUX related.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:07 pm
LordNu wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:05 pm Trading for Dlo to keep KAT happy has shades of KG and the resigning of T-Hud.
Agreed. I don't like it one bit. I hope they are just using GS to drive up Covington's value while telling KAT they tried.
This
My heart is family.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Ooogabooga wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:49 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:47 pm Just got home and saw this. Are we planing on keeping Crabbe? Playing him? Have they said? Very overpaid on a bad team but a couple years ago he was the epitome of 3 and D. Not sure this does anything down the line since his Bird rights are meaningless as we'd have a huge cap hold on him and therefore couldn't use them. Still think we could have done much better with Teague at the deadline but if we plan to play Crabbe and he can be what he was he's a good fit. If we have no plans for him then we wasted Teague. Hoping for the former. And the former Crabbe of course.

Nothing said. We have his bird rights and some more capspace. Looks like its kick the tires for 6 months to see how he fits type thing before free agency.
His Bird rights mean nothing. He will have a huge cap hold that we will need to renounce to have space. If he fits we can then sign him with space or an exception but that's it.

He is a good fit if he's the old Crabbe from Port but I still think we failed to get value for Teague on paper. We essentially used Teague's value for a tryout. If it works out cool. But don't see how we didn't at least get a 2nd or 2. We traded a expiring with value for a straight expiring. Don't see any team that was wanting Crabbe as anything but trade filler. Teague could have had some decent value to a contender. Makes me think from Atl's side Teague may be a flip that goes at the deadline.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Catalyst wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:03 pm
LordNu wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:05 pm Trading for Dlo to keep KAT happy has shades of KG and the resigning of T-Hud.
Agreed. I don't like it one bit. I hope they are just using GS to drive up Covington's value while telling KAT they tried.
This
I also think this may be the case. And I also think that friendship or not Russel would not be happy being traded here.
irishman89

Post by irishman89 »

Although I am super happy these two bums are gone, I think they jumped the gun on this one because Crabbe's knee won't allow him to play much. They'd be nuts to keep him past this season
SO_MONEY

Post by SO_MONEY »

Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:06 pm

This
I also think this may be the case. And I also think that friendship or not Russel would not be happy being traded here.
And to be honest if GS doesn't want Covington as the headliner in any deal for DLo all the better we can trade him where we want and they are stuck with an overpaid player that is a poor fit who probably doesn't have a TON of value to excuse the two picks they gave up to make it happen. I love when teams in our conference screw up.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Moses Scurry wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:43 pm From the top of Aspen mountain, this pleases me.
You better come down from there right now.....
j2j

Post by j2j »

Warriors doing the sign and trade for Russell hard capped them which REQUIRED them to trade either Draymond or Iguodola. It wasnt to avoid the luxury cap because they wanted to avoid it, but because cap rules required them to.

YBBR

Post by YBBR »

NotRasho wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:47 pm If we trade for Dlo we might as well pack it up, were done for 5 years minimum.

Its literally a better idea to blow it up, trade Towns, trade everything, than to trade for Dlo. Hes a borderline negative player on a max contract, hes Wiggins caliber.

But hey, TV told you hes an all star!

Just fucking puke.
I agree. He's a volume scorer with no major standout skills. He doesn't play D, turns the ball over at a high clip, an okay passer but nothing out of the ordinary. I think if people are expecting Russell to take this team to another level, they will be woefully dissatisfied with his play.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Damned if you do or don't. I agree the DLO trade is going to make this team mediocre for awhile but if they don't do it they will be bad to mediocre for awhile anyway.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
winforlose

Post by winforlose »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:35 pm Damned if you do or don't. I agree the DLO trade is going to make this team mediocre for awhile but if they don't do it they will be bad to mediocre for awhile anyway.
Who is the missing link? What trade gets us above mediocre?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

winforlose wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:48 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:35 pm Damned if you do or don't. I agree the DLO trade is going to make this team mediocre for awhile but if they don't do it they will be bad to mediocre for awhile anyway.
Who is the missing link? What trade gets us above mediocre?
Nothing because we don't have the type of asssets to get a game changer.

It's either take DLO or suck and keep building through the draft.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

SO_MONEY wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:13 pm
Thrillkill wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:06 pm

This
And to be honest if GS doesn't want Covington as the headliner in any deal for DLo all the better we can trade him where we want and they are stuck with an overpaid player that is a poor fit who probably doesn't have a TON of value to excuse the two picks they gave up to make it happen. I love when teams in our conference screw up.
RoCo is a great 3 and D SF. He has great value to any smart team and little to us. They will want him bad. Still think that Dinwiddie should be the target with RoCo. Problem is that RoCo's biggest suitors will be teams in it for the finals. Our best returns come from middling teams on the fringe. I do think that Brooklyn could pull the trigger early just to get RoCo for next year, Great fit for them since they have a good defensive 5 so will play Durant at the 4.

Russel I think could be a really nice fit for GS when they have a full team. Don't think the vets let him go buck wild and he can learn to harness the talent. Put him on a middling team and he will be what he is. A scorer and that's it.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

YBBR wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:30 pm
NotRasho wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:47 pm If we trade for Dlo we might as well pack it up, were done for 5 years minimum.

Its literally a better idea to blow it up, trade Towns, trade everything, than to trade for Dlo. Hes a borderline negative player on a max contract, hes Wiggins caliber.

But hey, TV told you hes an all star!

Just fucking puke.
I agree. He's a volume scorer with no major standout skills. He doesn't play D, turns the ball over at a high clip, an okay passer but nothing out of the ordinary. I think if people are expecting Russell to take this team to another level, they will be woefully dissatisfied with his play.
If we acquire dlo I’d imagine it would lead to Wiggins on his way out as well, that’s what was speculated in the offseason when we went after dlo. Towns-dlo-a third piece is not a bad core to plan around. The people opposed to dlo think he would need to carry this team, which wouldn’t be the case
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Jon Krawczynski

@JonKrawczynski
Rosas on the flexibility this deal gives Wolves:
"We want to be positioned where we can take advantage of opportunities that present themselves where you can acquire a high-level player and give a team savings if they need it."